Question about the MK12 rifle used by the Seal Teams

PDA

dmftoy1
August 5, 2007, 07:37 AM
I've been reading a book ("Lone Survivor") by Marcus Luttrell about the battle battle in Afghanistan that took the lives of his buddies. It's a great read (although very sad) and it's not geared about the weapon systems in detail but he mentions his "MK 12" rifle in a number of places. I've done some basic googling on it and it appears to be a hot-rodded AR. The question I haven't been able to answer is what type of gas system it has on it. Does anyone have any info on that? (is it a piston system or just an AR with a non-standard barrel length and free float handguard?)

Anyway that's my question. If anyone's interested in our Seal teams the book is a good read. I know that even in my prime I couldn't have made the first day of their training I don't think. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about the MK12 rifle used by the Seal Teams" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gotm4
August 5, 2007, 08:05 AM
The 'interweb' is your friend (well sometimes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_Mark_12_Mod_X_Special_Purpose_Rifle

It's a standard direct impingment AR gas system.

dmftoy1
August 5, 2007, 06:12 PM
Yup, been there read that . ..I don't see any mention of the type of gas system on that page. Am I missing it somewhere?

Regards,
Dave

Bartholomew Roberts
August 5, 2007, 06:22 PM
It is a rifle length direct impingement gas system with an 18" barrel.

SpeedAKL
August 5, 2007, 06:45 PM
It looks very similar to several civvie offerings out there...I know Sabre is making 18-in barrels....

HorseSoldier
August 5, 2007, 10:37 PM
Like Mr. Roberts said, the SPR (what we Army folks call the Mk 12) is a conventional AR in terms of its operating system. Impressive range and accuracy with 77 grain Mk 262 ammo running through it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about the MK12 rifle used by the Seal Teams" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!