Gunbroker sucks.

PDA

proud2deviate
August 5, 2007, 11:20 AM
Or, perhaps more accurate, the people selling (or trying to sell,) on Gunbroker suck. If you can stand to wade through page after page of duplicate auctions for cheap Chinese holsters, and find something worth looking at that isn't hideously over-priced, chances are all you'll see under "Item Description" is a nano-blip sentence fragment about the actual item, and a five paragraph essay regarding the seller's shipping terms. I mean, is it such an outlandish proposal that I might want to know about small details like barrel length, caliber, choke, magazine capacity, etc? And yes, I know all about the "Ask Seller A Question" button. In fact, I've used it frequently enough to know that maybe 60% of the time I'll get a reply, and that 50% of the replies I get will actually be coherent, with any amount of thought put into them, and maybe 20% of those will actually answer my question.

With that said, I'd like to thank all of the people who post clean, articulate, well thought out auctions. You help to keep my blood pressure below fatal levels.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunbroker sucks." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trueblue1776
August 5, 2007, 11:22 AM
I finally got over that stuff, then tried to buy a stock, the seller never got back to me. Yes gunbroker does suck. Trading post on THR rocks, so does Midway, Brownels, and AIM.

brashboy
August 5, 2007, 12:21 PM
Gunbroker is modeled on Ebay, which has deteriorated horribly. This may sound like an off-topic ebay rant, but bear with me, please. I joined ebay in 1996 and used to love it. But I really haven't used it much in years, because: it is overwhelmed with rude idiots, people will give negative feedback if the item isn't there in 3 days, most of the auctions are cheap junk (a guy lists 50 of the same junk Bangladesh-made guitar; not a dutch auction for 50 items, but 50 listings) over and over. And the scammers, the scammers. Almost no one I know will sell internationally anymore b/c of the Asian and Eastern Bloc scammers. I used to deal in high-end guitars and did a lot of it on ebay, but no more; and many if not most of the people I dealt with then on ebay use it no more. The scammers were rare years ago - they came in with the advent of paypal, and the problem got worse when ebay bought paypal.

My point is that I see the same thing infecting Gunbroker. It's almost like the same people messing it up. Once something becomes popular enough, the goofballs, the scammers and the big-scale merchandisers take over. And those people drive legitimate listers away, on both ebay and gunbroker. So over time, the percentage of junk and jerks grows, and reasonable people get tired of sifting through the garbage, trying to get answers on listings, trying to get decent pictures. Many of the professional gun dealers on gunbroker (seems to be a handful who dominate) do good and careful listings, but individual listings are of much lower quality generally.

At the end of the day, I think the only reason to use gunbroker is to find something a little off the beaten track. If you want a CZ75, for example, you can get them anywhere.

What I would like to hear are GOOD gunbroker.com stories: people who found that oddball item, or got a great gun at a can't-believe-it price, or whatever. Any of you out there?

Bushwhacker
August 5, 2007, 12:25 PM
I got one to add; Some people on AR15 SUCK!!!

Never again will I deal with someone on that board....

But I guess there are bad apples in every crowd.....

Zundfolge
August 5, 2007, 12:26 PM
Gunbroker (like eBay) is a glowing example of cavet emptor.

I've found several good deals there, but you have to dig to find them (just like anywhere else) and you have to be patient.

I've also never run into a scammer there, I've seen them but to me the scammers are usually so obvious that they're easy to avoid.

Novus Collectus
August 5, 2007, 12:55 PM
Funniest thing I saw on I think it was Gunbroker, or it could be Auction arms a few weeks ago was where a guy was selling a unique Luger starting at something like $900,000. The guy said it was unique because it was "the only Luger owned by me". :eek:
I had to read it a few times before I got the joke.

SaxonPig
August 5, 2007, 01:09 PM
I must not be doing it right because I have been buying on GunBroker and Auctionarms for about 6 years with very little trouble. I have bought 60-70 guns and many other items and so far two guns arrived in disappointing condition. One was replaced and the other I kept because it was still a good deal at the price I paid. I have had 3 sellers on eBay steal my money and vanish but no problems like that on GB or AA.

Of course you see junk on the auction sites. Been to a gun show lately? Seems like 1/3 of the tables are jewelry, beef jerky and teddy bears being offered for sale. Life is not perfect. But there's lots of good stuff, too. If you aren't finding it, then you simply aren't looking hard enough.

Sure, there's a danger in long-distance transactions and you want to use some common sense. But I feel relatively confident in buying and selling on GB.

joplinsks
August 5, 2007, 01:17 PM
I've been selling via the net since the early '90s. Back then people chatted and made deals via Usenet (newsgroups) and the Compuserve forums. The folks on there were mostly professionals like doctors, college professors, high ranking executives... who all had money and knew exactly what they wanted. Basically you could list just about anything... at your price... and it would sell immediately to a very satisfied buyer just dying to get it. I made a small fortune during that period.

Now... the net is full of people who don't have a dime to their name and expect "everything" to be as simple as a click of the mouse. I've barely sold anything on Ebay or the net in over 2 years since the profit incentive isn't there anymore and it's not worth putting up with all the whiners and complainers.

Nomad101bc
August 5, 2007, 01:24 PM
Thats why when i buy something ill take a slight price increase and do it through my gun dealer. This way if anything goes wrong they can fix it or return it. My gun store also sells alot of stuff on consignment so you get all sorts of cool stuff coming in be it M1 Garands or pistol grip shotguns they have it all.

Here is an awsome site for AR-15 and CX4 fanatics http://www.houtsenterprises.com/ since someone mentioned AR-15's; they keep stuff stalked in a warehouse owned by them so you get things pretty fast.

Spuds
August 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
My biggest complaint with gunbroker and auction arms is that they allow mis-categorization of listings. Even if you are searching just firearms, or a category thereof, you will encounter more gun parts and ammo than you will firearms.

If gb & aa expect an influx of new listings from displaced ebay sellers, they'd do well to clean up their act in how listings are categorized, or they'll be as useless as mammalian protrusions on a male Sus scrofa.

glockman19
August 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
I use gunbroker to window shop, print out the price and ask reputible dealers to match the price. Most who are interested in your contunued patronage will meet eh price and keep a happy customer those who do not don't get repeat business. I have found guns on gunbroker most recently a S&W 629. I called the dealer, www.budsgunshop.com and paid got the same great deal. Also was able to defer interest & payment for 90 days.

scubie02
August 5, 2007, 02:20 PM
i've had more good deals than bad on Gunbroker, but did have two smith revolvers in the same week show up in disappointing condition. In one case it had obviously had some pitting from rust and been refinished, in the other it had actual copious amounts of rust on it WHEN I got it that would have pitted. At least in those situations the one was very nice and apologized and offered a partial refund, and I kept it, which turned out well because it was a real shooter. The second wasn't so nice but did refund my money when I sent it back, so at least I was only out the shipping. I have had a huge percentage not answer email questions, as mentioned. And most use a "file photo" rather than a picture of the actual item, which is semi sucky, especially with some items where say the wood can vary dramatically item by item, like Citori's for instance.

PowderKeg
August 5, 2007, 02:43 PM
I've been mostly satisfied with the handfull of transactions I've done on both "major" gun auction sites. Four of the last 5 pistols I've bought have come via GunBroker or Auction Arms, the most recent being a Kimber Pro Carry SLE (series I). Price, with ship & FFL fees, was still well less than what I would've paid locally (IF I could've found one locally at a reasonable price), and I spent far less time, money, and gas by sitting and searching several minutes every few nights on the 'puter than buying Trader papers, making calls, repeated trips to shops around town, etc. Mailed the MO on Monday, picked up the pistol on Friday from my FFL. Prior to that, my DW 715 went just as smoothly. Both sellers were great to deal with. Only one, a S&W 66, took a gawdawful time to get finished - seller kept changing his story - first it was taking a long time to get it to the ffl, then the ffl still hadn't shipped, then the ffl was charging him 4 or 6 times as much to send it, yadda-yadda-yadda. Finally did show up after hounding him on the phone repeatedly - I think he was hoping to get more $$$ with the sob story about his ffl problems. Pistol was just as described with a really sweet action job, but it almost soured me to future auction dealings - almost, but not quite.

Since most of what's still on my "want" list is either no longer in production (Virginian Dragoon, DW Monson .44), or has been PC'd with internal locks or other nonsense (want a few pre-Clinton S&W's, it'll be a cold day before I ever buy a locked one), my only real options are the auction sites. Haven't had much luck watching here and GA has really gone to the dogs/dealers (did buy a 4006 via GA 7+ years ago).

If you're like me, looking for specific models only and not particularly concerned about how long it'll take to find one (for a decent price), the auction sites work. If you just have to have the latest and greatest right now, or just look for any "great bargain" regardless of make, caliber, etc., then the auctions can be frustrating with all the junk you have to page through.

Caveat Emptor definitely applies, and specific questions are a must if anything isn't clear in the ad or photos. Most of the time I've received replies to questions, and those that don't reply fall off the watch list.

havanatrader
August 5, 2007, 03:20 PM
My opinion: Gunbroker ROCKS!
Lots of noise to filter through, but there are good deals, and a lot of interesting stuff to look at regardless. Like a little gun show at my desk every day!

AntiqueCollector
August 5, 2007, 04:37 PM
I get annoyed with wading through the same items, dozens of them or more, everytime I look, all listed by the same seller and they never sell. But otherwise, I like GB...

Lashlarue
August 5, 2007, 04:46 PM
If you list an item with a reasonable price it will sell. I sold two pistols this year with no trouble, even with buyer getting burned with UPSs ridiculous charges.

Don't Tread On Me
August 5, 2007, 04:49 PM
There is no reason to use Gunbroker. I have found both online dealers as well as local dealers who will meet or beat any price on Gunbroker.

If you look around, you'll find a better price.

silverlance
August 5, 2007, 04:57 PM
the rule for buying anything in life is simple.

be patient, and wait long enough - eventually whatever it is that you want will be at a price that you're willing to pay.

don't cut down gunbroker. GB and AA are helping expand our cause.

Cannonball888
August 5, 2007, 04:58 PM
Bought 3 guns off of Gunbroker. All were from dealers with high transaction count and great feedback. Very satisfied.

Finch
August 5, 2007, 05:00 PM
I only use Gun Broker and Auction Auction arms as a classified ad system. When I do searches, I look for items that I could pick up locally or where I could be in a few hours if someone screws me over. I bought a few guns on auction sites without problems, probably because they were all local pick ups.

I guess you just need a really good B.S. meter when dealing with auctions sites. If I feel any hesitation at all, it's probably for a good reason.

medmo
August 5, 2007, 05:46 PM
Both GB and AA are pretty good as long as you go shopping with both eyes open. Check the rating of the seller and ask questions. I have had some pretty good deals with both and have not been disappointed.

GB is mildly annoying to me because there is a BUNCH of sellers with RESERVE auctions that don't seem to have any real intention of selling anything. I think they enjoy playing games with themselves and are not serious sellers. If these guys really wanted to sell their stuff they should throw out a starting bid dollar amount they can live with and see what happens from there.

Noxx
August 5, 2007, 06:40 PM
I shop GB a lot, but purchase rarely. Most of the things I willing to spend a serious chunk on (and it has to be high cost items, otherwise shipping and fees make low cost items a bad deal) do not offer enough detail and surety for me to feel comfortable buying.

Live auctions are still great when you can find them, I bought five lots at a local auction last night, and altho I missed the FN hi-power I was there for, I was more than satisfied with everything else.

gezzer
August 5, 2007, 07:36 PM
When you are not smart enough to buy from online auctions don't. Support your local gunshop.

trueblue1776
August 5, 2007, 08:41 PM
When you are not smart enough to buy from online auctions don't.

That's a bit harsh maybe.

Feanaro
August 5, 2007, 09:18 PM
I quite like Gunbroker. I wouldn't use it to buy something MidwayUSA or Brownells stocks but its great for discontinued items. I like to collect older guns. When I can find them locally, the condition is usually terrible.

silverlance
August 5, 2007, 09:22 PM
When you are not COMFORTABLE enough to buy from online auctions don't. Support your local gunshop.

there, fixed it.

Junkyard Dog
August 5, 2007, 09:22 PM
+1 on what Bushwhacker said. Two thirds of the deals that I have tried to
make with sellers on AR15.com went in the toilet. Although the deals that did
go through ended up being good ones. Seems like there are alot of time
wasters there. I guess you just keep swinging and once in a while you hit
a home run.

The Deer Hunter
August 5, 2007, 09:24 PM
I cant stand when sellers talk in all caps and leave words out.

TIMC
August 5, 2007, 09:45 PM
I have no problem with gunbroker it is a good site for those with patience. I have bought and sold several items on there. My last purchase was on there a few weeks ago when I bought a Springfield Armory M-21 and where I sold my Sako 75 to help finance it. I got it for a very good price and saved my self a couple hundred in sales tax. It is a good tool to locate hard to find items like the M-21.

jayrod1980
August 6, 2007, 04:45 AM
Wading through Gunbroker can be a pain but the deals are there. Two years ago I got a NIB FNP40 for $330, I believe shipped if I can remember right. That was a smoking deal! Best deal on a gun I've ever gotten. Helped that the vendor is awesome but still.

swingset
August 6, 2007, 05:41 AM
There is no reason to use Gunbroker. I have found both online dealers as well as local dealers who will meet or beat any price on Gunbroker.

How can a dealer meet/beat an auction price? If someone starts the auction at a low bid price, with no reserve how can a dealer match that? Do you show your dealer an auction going on for a CZ75B that's currently at $50 and demand he sell it for $49??

If you're going off of the final bid price on a closed auction, that doesn't work either in theory. He's meeting/beating a price on an item that's no longer on the market, the next one just like it may sell cheaper than the one he's beating.

CypherNinja
August 6, 2007, 05:52 AM
I think a lot of it depends on what you're looking for. I can see accessories being nightmarish, but lots of off-the-beaten-track stuff gets a good showing on GB.

Also stuff like reloading components can be found quickly and cheaply with minimal fuss.

YMMV :D

jeepmor
August 6, 2007, 06:01 AM
With Ebay's current anti-gun position moving even farther left of late, you best get used to it.:eek:

alex_trebek
August 6, 2007, 10:35 AM
I find gunbroker is useful only in pricing items. Instead of buying the gun blue book, i simply look something up on gunbroker so i know what to expect on the price. I do this now since a lot gun manufacturers stopped putting the MSRP on their websites. There is a local shop that is almost always cheaper than anything online except for ammo.

Rufus Pisanus
August 6, 2007, 11:06 AM
Gunbroker (like eBay) is a glowing example of cavet emptor.

I've found several good deals there, but you have to dig to find them (just like anywhere else) and you have to be patient.

I've also never run into a scammer there, I've seen them but to me the scammers are usually so obvious that they're easy to avoid.

I agree with ALL these statements. There is a lot of junk and noise on GB but it is possible to find good stuff and I have never run into a scam artist. On the other hand I am very cautious and try to avoid people with little feedback or a significant fraction of negative feedback and when negative feedback is present I try to read what it is.

Rufus Pisanus
August 6, 2007, 11:10 AM
I find gunbroker is useful only in pricing items. Instead of buying the gun blue book, i simply look something up on gunbroker so i know what to expect on the price. I do this now since a lot gun manufacturers stopped putting the MSRP on their websites. There is a local shop that is almost always cheaper than anything online except for ammo.

I am sure things change from state to state and in Maryland pricers may be higher than elsewhere. I actually buy the Blue Book every couple of years and use it to decide whether the prices on GB are reasonable. A lot of people on GB sell (or try to sell) stuff at higher prices than the Blue Book!

alex_trebek
August 6, 2007, 12:31 PM
am sure things change from state to state and in Maryland pricers may be higher than elsewhere. I actually buy the Blue Book every couple of years and use it to decide whether the prices on GB are reasonable. A lot of people on GB sell (or try to sell) stuff at higher prices than the Blue Book!

I am sure this is the case, you would be somewhat surprised on a few of the auctions. I usually just look at the items a lot of people are bidding on, gives a decent estimate as to market value. I dont know a lot about the gun blue book, but the blue book for cars always seems to be off. Some of them are high, some are low.

A few of the auctions are pretty fair on GB. The local guy I referred to earlier marks his inventory by the same dollar amount (not percentage) off what he gets it from his dealer. Personally i think his ammo is a little on the high side, but his guns are very fairly priced. Usually his guns will sell around 100 dollars cheaper than the lowest GB at least. The problem is the local guys shop is about an hour from my home, and his inventory is rather limited, he only keeps AK's, AR's, and 1911's continuously in stock. Therefore i often look other places. I use his prices and GB's to estimate a price range. Some gunshow prices are actually higher than his, I think he sells AR-15 bushmaster M4 style A4 with extra military mags for around $750 NIB.

bruss01
August 6, 2007, 03:19 PM
While I don't think that Gunbroker "sucks" it can be difficult to use.

You basically have to think up a search that captures keywords in the title or description. True, you can limit it to search areas like "firearms, modern" or "firearms, collectable" but that still gets you a lot to wade thru. I'd like to see them add criteria like chambering, long gun/handgun, mfr, stainless/blued/parked, wood/synthetic, etc. So basically I'd like to be able to do a search for any stainless Garand chambered in .308 with a synthetic stock. Instead of searching till i'm blue in the face because some friend swears he posted it there, only to find out the typo'd "Grand" instead of "Garand" and typed "308" instead of ".308". Or let's say I'm looking for a 4" .357 in stainless. It'd be nice to type in that criteria and get a selection of guns to look at that match.

I work as a database administrator. That kind of functionality isn't difficult to create, it only requires the desire to do so.

Feanaro
August 6, 2007, 03:39 PM
I am sure things change from state to state and in Maryland pricers may be higher than elsewhere. I actually buy the Blue Book every couple of years and use it to decide whether the prices on GB are reasonable. A lot of people on GB sell (or try to sell) stuff at higher prices than the Blue Book!

Depending on the item and your region, the Blue Book can be worse than useless. Mine, for example, shows a 100% Smith and Wesson 27-2 revolver being worth $440 or thereabouts. All I can do is laugh. That's lowballing by $200-400, depending on where you find it, the serial number, grips, etc.

Cliff47
August 6, 2007, 04:01 PM
I have found a couple of smokin' deals on GunBroker (ditto Auction Arms and GunsAmerica, but that's another matter).

I had been using the site as a want-ads section when I found something I had been looking for for at least six months. I found a listing for the pistol I was lusting after with three bids and at $215, with about three hours left on the clock. I placed a bid with about 20 minutes left, and won the pistol for $220. My local purveyor of fine firearms doesn't even have heavily used items listed that low. Felt like I had stolen the item.

I have had sellers that lost the address of my preferred FFL (found a shop that does $20 transfers), shipped the wrong item to the FFL then had to re-ship the correct item, little things that make a Monday so enjoyable.

I make it a point to include a page from the auction along with the payment and copy of the FFL, with a request to drop me an e-mail when the item is shipped (works about half the time), so that I can judge the arrival date at the shop on my end. For items that don't require the FFL transfer, I include a mailing label with my address, one of the peel-and-stick labels work great.

Part of the satisfaction of the hunt is finding the item.

Gord
August 6, 2007, 04:35 PM
There is no shortage of nincompoops on eBay or Gunbroker who are all too eager to pay 120% retail + $20 shipping for common items.

I've completely given up on finding anything for a competitive price on auction sites. Go through Bud's for guns, Newegg for electronics and Wally World for everything else.

Eventually you just get tired of seeing the same three guys' eight pages of Mosins and PA-63s with starting bids of $250...

Rufus Pisanus
August 6, 2007, 05:10 PM
Depending on the item and your region, the Blue Book can be worse than useless.

I have to admit that I have found that the Blue Book sometimes gives prices that are too low compared to the real world. Still if you find something at the Blue Book price or lower for the same condition it's generally a good deal.
like most things the Blue Book has to be taken with a grain of salt but overall I think it tends to be more accurate than the gun trader guide or the standard catalog of firearms.

Yosemite**Sam
August 6, 2007, 11:22 PM
I personally have bought many M1 Garands off Gunbroker with positive results. IMHO Can't blame Gunbroker, It's really the sellers and what's it worth to you.

Feanaro
August 7, 2007, 12:17 AM
like most things the Blue Book has to be taken with a grain of salt but overall I think it tends to be more accurate than the gun trader guide or the standard catalog of firearms.

Agreed. It's good for some things but you still have to shop around.

Drusagas
August 7, 2007, 01:18 AM
What I would like to hear are GOOD gunbroker.com stories: people who found that oddball item, or got a great gun at a can't-believe-it price, or whatever. Any of you out there?

Well, about a week ago, I bought a Model 213 Tokarev converted to 9mm.

A friend of mine has bought 2 of these and his cheapest one was $150, which is about the average price, at least from what I can tell, being the pistol newb that I am.
I found one for $75 :what: and after consulting my friend he said to buy and if it was a shady deal at least I would have all the parts to build my own. So I did and once I received it, I showed it to him and he said it was twice as good as the one he had bought for $150.
And while I haven't been able to take it to the range yet (and wont for about 6 months, seeing as I ship to BCT in Ft. Leonard Wood on Wed.) but from what I can tell, it was an amazing buy.

So, in short, I'm happy;)

mfetty77
August 7, 2007, 01:23 AM
I've only had good experiences on GB. I've ordered guns and ammo off there site.

McKnife
August 7, 2007, 01:28 AM
I'd would LOVE to see a site similar to GUNBROKER.COM that only allows listing of privatly owned firearms, etc...

NO FFL's OR DEALERS WHATSOEVER.

I was beginning to enjoy texasguntrader.com but I think the dealers are beginning to discover it...:cuss:

Headless
August 7, 2007, 01:35 AM
I bought a gun through gunbroker - was a good transaction. CS40 was discontinued so there was very little possibility to get it elsewhere and NO possibility to get it locally.

jawrat
August 7, 2007, 10:50 AM
I'd would LOVE to see a site similar to GUNBROKER.COM that only allows listing of privatly owned firearms, etc...

NO FFL's OR DEALERS WHATSOEVER.

Did you try unclicking the checkbox FFL Only on GunsAmerica?

GunsAmerica Fan
December 16, 2009, 11:57 AM
I don't understand why people who dislike Gunbroker (or even those who like Gunbroker) don't just use GunsAmerica. It is so much easier to just go buy the gun, and you find deals that you don't see in the auctions, people who just want to get rid of guns. On the auctions, GB and AA both, you think you are going to get it for a certain price then someone outbids you and you wasted all that time. At least on GunsAmerica you can just email the seller and ask if he'll take your price. A lot of times they will!

I love GunsAmerica! I check it every day.
http://www.gunsamerica.com

wishin
December 16, 2009, 12:32 PM
This one has risen from the grave, but I recently bought a new AR through Gunbroker and was pleased with the whole transaction, price and all. Having said that, I'm a firm believer in using local gun shops, hardware stores, etc., where possible, because it won't be long before the mom & pop stores go by way of the dinosaur if we don't support them. I'll pay a little more, within reason, to keep them in business.

wojownik
December 16, 2009, 12:36 PM
Gunbroker is an auction site, nothing more nothing less. Some of the things offered are outlandishly priced, some are bargains, some are junk, some are treasures. Pretty much an electronic version of a gun show (many of which have also deterioriated), but with extra shipping and FFL fees involved.

I've had some good luck on gunbroker - a AK clone, Bushmaster patrolman, Russian makarov, all at OK prices. I'm waiting on some Polish Wanad P-83 mags I won from a someone in Poland - we'll see how that works out, but the e-mail exchanges with all these sellers have been polite, professional and (in one case) multilingual.

I do take issue with gunbroker customer service (so-to-speak) and management. They are are reputed to be generally unhelpful to the buyer, biased to the seller. I do have direct experience with them being extraordinarily rude.

I also take issue with gunbroker's inability to police relisted auctions. I won a Pietta blackpowder revolver, but the dealer (and I had to track them down, since they had the wrong contact info listed in their profile) said they had sold that pistol long ago. Gunbroker's CS response was basically, so what, go find something else to bid on....

And, p.s. I do support my local gunshop, as each transfer will inevitably generate the FFL fees, ammo purchases, magazine and accessory purchases, etc. For me, Gunbroker is for the oddball guns/accessories that you can't normally find, the local gun store does not stock, or the occasional lucky deal (beware of those deals that are too good to be true, though....)

CoRoMo
December 16, 2009, 12:42 PM
Why did you use your first post ever, to dig up this corpse of a thread?

Your member name, combined with the thread you chose, your post, and the link you included might make people here believe you are a trolling spammer for GunsAmerica.

GunsAmerica Fan
December 16, 2009, 12:45 PM
Supporting your local gunshop is the biggest thing. That is why I refuse to use the gun auctions. At least GunsAmerica has a full suite of gun dealer tools. They even have an automatic website tool for stores. All these stores are created by and hosted by GunsAmerica's system. The dealers post the gun/item once and it goes into GunsAmerica and the gunshop's own website. It's really cool. I turned my local dealer onto it.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/LiveStorefronts/StoreList.aspx

that is the list of stores and

http://www.gunsamerica.com/stockingDealers.htm

is a list of the other things they have for dealers.

CoRoMo
December 16, 2009, 12:46 PM
Do you work for, or are you otherwise affiliated with GunsAmerica? Why are you plugging them in this way?

Tim the student
December 16, 2009, 12:59 PM
Your member name, combined with the thread you chose, your post, and the link you included might make people here believe you are a trolling spammer for GunsAmerica.

Thats what I believe, until proven otherwise.

Full Metal Jacket
December 16, 2009, 01:08 PM
i've never found a deal on gunbroker that couldn't be beat in a local gunshop. (same goes for gunsamerica) that site is worthless for me.

LMAO!--i wonder if GUNSAMERICA FAN just might be an employee of the same site...

Babarsac
December 16, 2009, 01:10 PM
I bought a SAR-1 off of there two years for $250 and it came with 500 rounds of ammo. The only good deal I ever got off GB.

mcdonl
December 16, 2009, 01:26 PM
I must not be doing it right because I have been buying on GunBroker and Auctionarms for about 6 years with very little trouble.

Says the guy who tried to sell one round of ammo on GB for $1,000,000.... :)

smoketheresfire
December 16, 2009, 01:28 PM
Isn't the point of buying online to get a better deal? GunBroker's prices are nothing special. If you live in a big city, nearly any high volume gun shop can beat their prices by a considerable margin, especially on new guns.

RP88
December 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
I wish they had a more extensive 'parts listing' subsection, because nothing sucks like looking for a good deal on a gun whilst wading through 300 pages of parts for said gun.

Although I haven't found a screaming deal myself, I've bought two guns so far for what I would say was still less than the going price anywhere else - even after shipping, transfer, and CC 3% surcharge. I've yet to see anything in any part of Virginia that comes close to what I can find on gunbroker with a substantially lower BuyNow price in ten minutes, in my experience.

What I do not like are overly optimistic sellers that put a high BuyNow price with a very high reserve on a gun that is clearly nowhere worth either. That, and outrageous shipping charges. Read a user feedback who got charged $50 for shipping, and it came in a $12 uninsured box. It wouldn't be so bad if such did not comprise about 80% of the listings. Oh well...

as said, caveat emptor is definitely in effect. If you use gunbroker, be patient and read between the lines (or just do what I do and don't buy from individuals looking to make a rip-off buck and just stick to the online dealers who are much more reasonable), and ask a lot of questions.

mcdonl
December 16, 2009, 01:31 PM
Isn't the point of buying online to get a better deal?

Ding Ding Ding... we got a winna!

That is the same philosophy pawn shops use. People think (haha... yeah sure they do...) that if you are buying it from a pawn shop, Ebay, GB, etc... that it will be cheaper then retail. The sellers take advantage of this.

I just purchased another Lee Classic Handloader. Bought it new from Cabelas for $21, free shipping because it went to a local store. Ebay has the same item for $35. I see this stuff all the time.

jimmyraythomason
December 16, 2009, 01:31 PM
I use GB for Mauser receivers,barrels and parts. I find what I want and for a price I'm willing to pay. No complaints here.

84B20
December 16, 2009, 01:43 PM
i've never found a deal on gunbroker that couldn't be beat in a local gunshop. (same goes for gunsamerica) that site is worthless for me.

LMAO!--i wonder if GUNSAMERICA FAN just might be an employee of the same site...
Try to beat the deal I have on GB. I posted my first listing on the site. At least I've had some response, albeit, questions from potential buyers. It is listed on this site but no one has even replied. It is all a matter of volume. I'm sure there are many more visitors on their site. Not every gun buyer has the same in depth interest in firearms as we do.

RP88
December 16, 2009, 02:07 PM

I have two:

bought a Russian SKS, Tula refurb for only $330 after shipping and transfer. I've yet to see even a rusty PoS Russian SKS around me for under $400. The last gun show had even my favorite milsurp dealer selling a similar-condition one for $420.

I also won an auction for an Underwood M1 Carbine last night. The stock is like-new, the bore was very crisp and shiny, and it was apparently a Bavarian Police re-arming issued carbine; pretty much in Service-grade condition from how it all looked. Assuming everything goes as planned, I'll be saving close to $130 on it compared to what you can get through CMP after two months of waiting plus the wait to be considered eligible to purchase from them.

And even though they weren't my deals to have, I saw three fully-done SGL-20 Saiga conversions go for under $550 with $30 shipping (compared to getting them for $600 plus shipping from K-Var's little year-end clearance)

as said, if you're patient, the deals are there. If not, you can still probably at least match what you'd pay for it online anywhere else.

EdLaver
December 16, 2009, 02:29 PM
Gunbroker is useful to me only when I know EXACTLY what I am looking for.

Magic_Man
December 16, 2009, 02:35 PM
That kind of stuff is why I end up buying new 99% of the time from a local shop. The price difference ends up only being about $50 anyway when you factor in transfer fees & shipping.

84B20
December 16, 2009, 02:38 PM
Gunbroker is useful to me only when I know EXACTLY what I am looking for.
Isn't that the case for whenever you are buying a firearm? I can't see window shopping for a gun.

Zoidberg523
December 16, 2009, 02:39 PM
This may sound like an off-topic ebay rant...

Craigslist is getting terrible as well. I don't need 50 e-mails every time I post an item, that read like - "I would like for to purchase your beautifully, wonderful Yamaha RBX bass - Great Deal from you. One problem though is..." :cuss:

Why do they even send those? I mean, if you are trying to screw me out of my hard earned money, at least TRY. Don't send me an e-mail which I know to delete before I even open it. :scrutiny:

NinjaFeint
December 16, 2009, 02:41 PM
I never use Gunbroker because the prices are above what they are here locally. Well above in some cases.

rogertc1
December 16, 2009, 03:50 PM
I have bought on GB only about 30 times and have had no problems what so ever. Great place to find unusual and old guns I buy for my collection. I have never had any problems on E-Bay either and I am up over 1000 transactions. One is wise to know what they are looking for.

nwilliams
December 16, 2009, 04:16 PM
I've sold many guns and gun parts on Gunbroker over the past couple years. If I have a gun or something gun related that I want to get rid of I always manage to sell it on gunbroker.

That said, I have never bought a gun using gunbroker. I don't like dealing with the whole transfer thing, I'd rather buy guns that I can hold first and buy on the spot.

Airburst
December 16, 2009, 05:09 PM
Both GB and AA are pretty good as long as you go shopping with both eyes open. Check the rating of the seller and ask questions. I have had some pretty good deals with both and have not been disappointed.

GB is mildly annoying to me because there is a BUNCH of sellers with RESERVE auctions that don't seem to have any real intention of selling anything. I think they enjoy playing games with themselves and are not serious sellers. If these guys really wanted to sell their stuff they should throw out a starting bid dollar amount they can live with and see what happens from there.
I have had tremendous success as both a seller and buyer. I typically will start my auctions with an amount I can live with, like noted above and will offer a buy now option, sometimes paying for the shipping. I have been disappointed only once with an RPK style AK 47 built on a Hesse receiver. The gun had rivets ground flush from someone removing the scope mount and other rivets were not flush with the receiver. Needless to say, the gun went back to the seller, who was very cool about the whole thing and my entire purchase amount was refunded. I have bought a few smaller items that didn't work as I had hoped, but what the hey it happens.

EdLaver
December 16, 2009, 05:12 PM
The main reason I use it is for accessories, mags, and etc. I think I have bought 2 firearms in the last 4 years I have had a Gunbroker account.

gearchecker
December 16, 2009, 05:25 PM
The biggest thing to GB is realizing it is an auction. You win some and you lose some.
If you are buying on auction you should really bid what it is worth to you. If you don't win the auction it just proves that somebody wanted it more.

I have purchase 11 items on GB 9 were auction, 2 were buy it now items.
I have bid on at least 25-30 different items, just to get the few I've won.

I am 100% satisfied on what I paid for every item. I've purchsed Rifle Scopes, a rare to find rear ramp sight for one of my 60 year old rifles, front sights, pistol and rifle stocks and a couple holsters.
The buy it now items were both magazine holsters. One for my XD-45 and the other for my S&W 669.

I've thought a couple sellers were a bit too high on their shipping rates, but I figured that into my price I was willing to pay.

Like the member here that loves GunsAmerica I keep a constant eye on the items I'm looking for. If it comes up for auction I watch it and then bid on the last day only. I usually won't bid until the last hour or less. That way I'm not wasting my time getting over bid too often. Sure it happens, but that's the thrill of an auction.

WhoKnowsWho
December 16, 2009, 05:59 PM
I needed a rear sight for a Taurus PT99, Gunbroker had it and had it cheaper than anywhere else. Sure, it was used, but it looked great and was great when I received it. The site did what I needed it to do.

dogtown tom
December 16, 2009, 06:15 PM
Of the three "big" sites: GunBroker, GunsAmerica and Auction Arms, the one I use least is GunsAmerica.

In my experience way to many guns aren't even for sale or magically sold in their store the day before. Too many dealers who don't update their ads or respond to questions. Searching GA is a joke with their new redesign, definitely a step backward.

I'll take GB or AA any day. Getting a good deal depends on what your looking for. I can see more Browning Hi Powers in one viewing of GB/AA than I'll see in a year here in Dallas. And the prices are better..........way better.

Boba Fett
December 16, 2009, 06:36 PM
Smells like a promotional thread to me.....

Yeah...and a zombie promotional thread combined with a zombie capitalism bashing thread at that.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/arg.gif

MinnMooney
December 16, 2009, 06:46 PM
Well, you've managed to pull the very worst facets of GunBroker.com out of a very well thought-out auction site. Congrats.:barf:

How about quit belly-aching and look at GB.com for what it is. It is :

One of the largest on-line brokerages catering to gun owners.
One of the best - No, THE best - and well-thought-out ways to sell and buy firearms.
The go-to place for finding out values, availability and conditions of most any firearm or accessory.

The reason that there is a large "Shipping conditions" than description is because they've been burned in most every way possible so they are finally covering their butts.

Some of the ads are retailers with brick & mortar bldgs who put thousands of new items up for auction. It would take forever to describe the item fully so they refer the looker to the mfg'rs website for an exact description.

If you really don't like the GB.com auction site then .........................:evil:

MinnMooney
December 16, 2009, 07:02 PM
from Powderkeg - post # 13 :
first it was taking a long time to get it to the ffl, then the ffl still hadn't shipped, then the ffl was charging him 4 or 6 times as much to send it,

Why was the seller/sender using an FFL holder? I've sold many handguns, rifles and shotguns. I send them personally via UPS or USPS to an FFL holder but never use one on my end.

If the buyer gives me the name of an FFL holder who refuses to accept a firearm from a non-FFL holder, I ask him to select someone else.

from Silverlance - post #18 :
don't cut down gunbroker. GB and AA are helping expand our cause.

Here!! Here !!
My sentiments, exactly.

Kimber45acp
December 16, 2009, 07:11 PM
Gunbroker is the best gun auction site around (because of the quantity and variety of users-instead of ghost towns like the other auction sites) and there really aren't any improvements that can be made to it (version 4 is horrible-stick with v2).

Attacking gunbroker is like attacking life. Sure, many people in life are too lazy to give an intelligent response to a question, and many try to scam people with insanely high prices, BUT the ignorant need practice at running an auction, and both the ignorant AND that scammers need to be knocked back to reality, and they help give motivation to the SMART/honorable people to create intelligent auctions, to stand out.

Just like life, the ocean of ridiculous auctions and lazy/stupid behavior on gunbroker, helps motivate the creation of the honorable sellers. The ridiculous prices of some people helps motivate the creation of an honest marketplace. There's no way to fully get rid of the scammers/liars etc. Just like life, you learn through experience to be WISE and to notice things.

After reading the original post, I concluded that the original poster just needs to spend more time on gunbroker getting to know the ocean of auctions that are how there and how to USE them to his advantage.

Steve 48
December 16, 2009, 07:17 PM
I guess I have been lucky. Out of the 25 guns I have bought from Gunbroker or Auctionarms, I got them for 1/2 the price in the guns stores and in great condition.

MattTheHat
December 16, 2009, 07:27 PM
I guess I have been lucky. Out of the 25 guns I have bought from Gunbroker or Auctionarms, I got them for 1/2 the price in the guns stores and in great condition.

Man, not me. I've purchased maybe a dozen guns from GB. They were all close enough to being as advertised, but were definitely on the high side of what I could have gotten them for locally (if they'd been available at the time). Since they weren't available locally at the time, I didn't mind paying a bit more. I don't think I've ever gotten a single item from GB at less than "market" value.

For instance, I'm tossing around the idea of picking up a Taurus PT1911 in .38 Super. I can get one online, shipped overnight to my dealer, BRAND new, from Davidson's (Gllaryofguns.com) for $512. All the ones I see on GB are at least $529, PLUS shipping. Many of them listed are significantly higher.

Like anything else, I try not to buy anything without checking a couple of sources.

-Matt

GunsAmerica Fan
December 16, 2009, 08:04 PM
That's the thing, the "thrill of the auction" is false, the same bull**** you deal with at pawnshops when you go into get a good deal. You always get screwed and either waste your time, or pay too much. GB doesn't even allow you to snipe like ebay. It resets at 15 minutes after the last bid. I'd rather classified ads where you get to ask the seller what he'd take and not have to wait to be outbid by someone who isn't even legally allowed to have the gun, which happens on gun auctions all the time. GunsAmerica does have auctions btw so I'm not just saying this because of that.

w_houle
December 16, 2009, 08:20 PM
GB doesn't even allow you to snipe like ebay. It resets at 15 minutes after the last bid.
How about this: Bid according to what you're willing to pay. Period. Don't wait until the last minute and play beat the clock with me :( because I bid early and bid my max, and don't get all pissy with me because you finally 'beat' me in the bid war but are now the winner of an auction that went more than you are willing to pay. I don't take second chance offers due to sore winners:mad:

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 16, 2009, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure I get the "wading through stuff" idea - I don't see the need to wade through anything - I search for specific items, and can usually find what I'm looking for. If the seller's terms and/or description aren't up to snuff to what I want, or they don't respond to my question, then I move on - that's their loss. It is indeed a bit annoying to put the extensive shipping terms above the actual description, but I guess they have hhad such a problem with buyers balking, that they feel they have to do this - not that big of a deal; just scroll down a bit. :dunno:

The ONLY thing that irks me, and irks me a LOT, is that GB and other similar sites essentially put their stamp of approval on a FRAUD of sorts, or a borderline/arguable fraud, as follows:

1. Seller advertises that the auction is a NO reserve auction.
2. Seller sets a minimum starting bid - this IS a de facto reserve - of course it is - that what reserve means - the minimum selling price which allows you to pull it and not sell if it doesn't meet your criteria (in that case, zero bids). That's what a reserve is, no matter what you CALL it.
3. That's a fraudulent statement, to say that it's a "no reserve" when in fact it IS a reserve auction, and GB lets them do it.

The no-sniping/ 15 minute extension rule is a GOOD thing, for the most part - but I can see both sides of that argument, I guess.

blue_ridge
December 16, 2009, 08:37 PM
Gunbroker, like Ebay, has a ton of items and therefore much of it is crap. Same thing if you go to a gunshow, flea market etc. But gunbroker (and ebay) give you tools so you can bypass 90% of that rif-raf.

Use the "smart search" tools. I usually select "used" items under the item condition menu because I'm usually not looking for one of the 5000 ads where dealers are selling retail items. I always click the "exclude reserve price" button. Hey, if you can't start the auction at your minimum price, I don't need to waste a week waiting to see what that magical price might be. I often will select the category "Modern Firearms" or "Collectible firearms" too. Then, if I know what I'm looking for, I set the minimum price of my search high enough to eliminate ammo, parts.

For example, let's say I'm interested in M1 Carbines. I type "M1 Carbine", then click on the "exclude reserve price" and item condition - used. Then I set the minimum price at $350 and maximum price at $800. This is low enough I'll see the "beater" M1's and no higher than my spending limit. My search returns 85 items. Not bad. I notice some guy is selling M1 receivers for $500 but I am only interested in whole guns. So I go back to my search terms and say "words to exclude" - "receiver". This way nothing with "receiver" in the title shows up. Now my search has a total of 72 items. Not bad, easy to manage and it is all decent looking M1 Carbines to browse.

Erik M
December 16, 2009, 08:47 PM
I am in the process of getting my C&R license, and I have a friend whos father had a type 1 ffl. None of us deal with gunbroker. I have had him order me things from Bud's. The only reason I will buy from Bud's is that if an issue comes up im only about an hour from thier retail location. I dont trust ebay, so I dont trust broker.

GB doesn't even allow you to snipe like ebay.

who wants me to take them snipe hunting?

wishin
December 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
..............to say that it's a "no reserve" when in fact it IS a reserve auction, and GB lets them do it.

+1 I couldn't agree more.

Onward Allusion
December 16, 2009, 09:17 PM
Ain't that the truth! v4 is over engineered.

Kimber45acp (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=102822)
<SNIP>(version 4 is horrible-stick with v2).

GunsAmerica Fan
December 16, 2009, 09:19 PM
Yea lmao, you bid your max and the guy who can't even legally own the gun outbids you, then he doesn't pay of course, because he didn't know he couldn't own it. You walk away without the gun, the seller walks away with a bunch of wasted time, and who wins anything?

Why would you bid your max anyway? On ebay you can use a sniper and all the people don't get a chance to bid who just wanted to bid that high because you did. Auctions aren't good for guns. Everyone knows what guns are worth, and like people say here, there are no steals on GB, or online for that matter anyway. Unless you are looking for something used, unique or collectible that your local dealer doesn't have, BUY IT FROM YOUR LOCAL DEALER. You'll never pay too much and you'll help a guy that is supporting our freedom and risking his whole livelihood on it.

GRAYRID3R
December 16, 2009, 09:22 PM
I Like Gunbroker and got some decent deals, picked up a Henry Big Boy NIB for $669.00 a few months ago and got this a couple weeks ago for $755.00 NIB

Item #: O1070A1CS
Description: CLT GOVT SER 70 45AP PST SS 7R
Manufacturer: Colt
Model #: Government Model Series 70
Type: Semi-Automatic Pistol
Finish: Stainless Steel
Stock: Double Diamond Checkered Rosewood Grips
Sights: Fixed
Barrel Length: 5"
Overall Length: 8.5"
Weight: 38 oz

Sugg. Retail Price: $950.00
Caliber: 45AP
Capacity: 7+1
Action: Single Action
# of Mags: 2

justashooter in pa
December 16, 2009, 09:50 PM
gunbroker allows you exposure to lots of guns you will never see in real life, but can hold in your hand in a week if you know how to bid. i just sold a win54 in 30-06 on gb that had the finest walnut i've ever seen on a production gun. also sold a savage 29A, am have listed a remington 600 in 222 for a sunday finish.

gunbroker offers you stuff the local stores just can't.

Full Metal Jacket
December 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
That's the thing, the "thrill of the auction" is false, the same bull**** you deal with at pawnshops when you go into get a good deal. You always get screwed and either waste your time, or pay too much. GB doesn't even allow you to snipe like ebay. It resets at 15 minutes after the last bid. I'd rather classified ads where you get to ask the seller what he'd take and not have to wait to be outbid by someone who isn't even legally allowed to have the gun, which happens on gun auctions all the time. GunsAmerica does have auctions btw so I'm not just saying this because of that.

=shameless plug.

dogtown tom
December 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
MattTheHat Quote:
...For instance, I'm tossing around the idea of picking up a Taurus PT1911 in .38 Super. I can get one online, shipped overnight to my dealer, BRAND new, from Davidson's (Gllaryofguns.com) for $512. All the ones I see on GB are at least $529, PLUS shipping. Many of them listed are significantly higher.

At Davidsons the cheapest PT1911 .38 Super is:
$474.22 dealer cost.
+$25 Shipping
$499.22
+FFL transfer fee?
$512 total

Seems right, except he is required to charge you 8.25% Texas Sales Tax on that purchase. He is required to collect sales tax because he ordered the firearm from Davidson's. His transfer fee is not taxable.

Texas Sales Tax on that $499.22 brings your total to $540.40

Pay for it yourself at Bud's it's $510 delivered.

gmerkt
December 16, 2009, 11:18 PM
I've used Gunbroker maybe a score or more times, but always as a seller. I'm extremely reluctant to buy anything that I cannot see first in person. Like a few other people have already opined, if you aren't in a hurry, it will come your way locally over time. If not, I didn't need it.

One of the problems I see with Gunbroker is that their only fee is the commission they get when something sells. If they charged a listing fee (like Ebay), perhaps sellers would be more motivated to start items out at a more reasonable price. Since listings are free on Gunbroker, sellers can list things at whatever jackass price they want, and get 50 relistings automatically. With that set-up, there's no incentive to start out with a competitive price. Sure, some listings do start with a competitive price, but many are inflated and perhaps the sellers are just waiting for a "fish" to buy it who doesn't know any better. With information so plentiful on the net now, fish are scarcer and farther between, hence we see those same listings, over and over again.

dogtown tom
December 16, 2009, 11:20 PM
GunsAmerica Fan Yea lmao, you bid your max and the guy who can't even legally own the gun outbids you, then he doesn't pay of course, because he didn't know he couldn't own it. You walk away without the gun, the seller walks away with a bunch of wasted time, and who wins anything?
You have to be kidding. I've bought and sold dozens of guns on GunBroker and have never been outbid by someone who didn't follow through (you can check the feedback left by the buyer & seller), nor have I ever had a buyer not beat the door down rushing to get payment to me. If you have any real experience buying or selling on GunBroker you would know this.

GunsAmerica Fan ...Why would you bid your max anyway?
Uh......do you have any idea how auctions work? You bid what you think the item is worth (that's called your maximum). If you bid more than the item is worth JUST TO WIN....great! Sellers love that.

GunsAmerica Fan ...On ebay you can use a sniper and all the people don't get a chance to bid who just wanted to bid that high because you did.
Don't sell anything on ebay do you?
I've got news for ya......nobody gets denied the opportunity to bid on Ebay. The majority of Ebay auctions are SEVEN DAYS LONG. At any time during those seven days you are free to bid as much as you want. So called "sniper" software for Ebay is useless against a bidder who puts in a bid HIGHER than what you authorized your so called sniper. Everyone thinks if they wait until the last thirty seconds they'll get the item cheaper. If you've set your sniper to bid $50 in the last second, I'll still beat you by bidding $51....because I placed that bid SIX DAYS AGO.

GunsAmerica Fan ...Auctions aren't good for guns.
Riiiiiiight....
That's like saying books aren't good for reading. If GunBroker was the big waste of space you believe it is, it would be belly up by now. GunBroker allows little part time FFL's like me to sell my guns to the entire USA. GunsAmerica wishes it had half the traffic/page hits of GunBroker.

GunsAmerica Fan ...Everyone knows what guns are worth,
No, they don't. All you have to do is see the same ad on Guns America for the last two years to know that a lot of firearms dealers have no clue what a gun is really worth. Gunbroker is not imune to this, and those guns remain unsold. A gun is worth what someone is willing to pay. Period.

GunsAmerica Fan ...and like people say here, there are no steals on GB, or online for that matter anyway.
Really? Have you ever bought a gun online or off GunBroker? I'm an FFL in Texas, I don't have a retail storefront, nor am I a stocking dealer. I do transfers. Where do ya think my customers find the firearms they have shipped to me?
I'll tell you where....out of the last hundred transfers I processed:
0 from GunsAmerica
2 were from Auction Arms
3 were orders placed by me at customer request with a distributor
17 were from gunforums (THR, GlockTalk, AR15, etc)
26 were from online gunstores (Bud's, Impact, Cabela's, CDNN, etc)
52 were from GunBroker

GunsAmerica Fan ..Unless you are looking for something used, unique or collectible that your local dealer doesn't have, BUY IT FROM YOUR LOCAL DEALER. You'll never pay too much and you'll help a guy that is supporting our freedom and risking his whole livelihood on it.
WalMart is one of my local dealers. I buy as much ammunition as I can from them. If you mean the local "mom & pop" gunstore? Sorry, I don't reward rudeness, ignorance, AND high prices.

You make this statement about buying from local dealers..........but you want everyone to patronize GunsAmerica? Are you aware that GunsAmerica sellers aren't all local to where you live?

Boba Fett
December 16, 2009, 11:31 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very nice tom. Well said.

bob.a
December 16, 2009, 11:37 PM
GunsAmerica used to be an interesting site, but they took a dump a few years ago with the new software and format, and I've not used them since.

Bought several nice guns thru Gunbroker. No problems. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm not stupid, I dunno. If the piece is worth what I want to pay, and no one outbids me, I take it home. Not too hard to understand.

lesgeaux
December 16, 2009, 11:42 PM
I got in on the tail end of this and am not going to read every post right now! What I will tell you that barring a few transactions, I have purchased quite a few firearms at less than market price for my area, most at surpriseingly good deals. I sometimes feel bad asking my local brick and mortar guy for a copy of their ffl so I can send it off and get a firearm transfered to me that they have priced too high.
I do my research(much of it on the auction sites, and other places) and sometimes offer the local merchants the chance to earn my business.
At times they say they just can't do it, and other times they may get put off thinking I am just some joe/schmo trying to bend them over, usually the latter. However, I AM THE MARKET!, if they don't get it to bad for them.

MattTheHat
December 16, 2009, 11:43 PM
At Davidsons the cheapest PT1911 .38 Super is:
$474.22 dealer cost.
+$25 Shipping
$499.22
+FFL transfer fee?
$512 total

Seems right, except he is required to charge you 8.25% Texas Sales Tax on that purchase. He is required to collect sales tax because he ordered the firearm from Davidson's. His transfer fee is not taxable.

Texas Sales Tax on that $499.22 brings your total to $540.40

Pay for it yourself at Bud's it's $510 delivered.

You are correct. He is required to collect the tax. But, legally, on an out of state sale, *I'm* required to report the purchase and pay the tax myself. (Before you ask, no, I don't bother to do so.) My point is that I'm not going to penalize my local dealer for collecting sales tax.

There is no transfer fee charged by my local dealer on a purchase from Davidson's, as they're in the Davidson's dealer network. But, there is a transfer fee for the firearm coming from Bud's.

Considering the transfer fee of the gun coming from Bud's, it a push. I don't know Bud. I'm sure he's a great guy. I do know the guys at my local store and they're good guys too. Plus they keep a huge inventory that I can browse whenever the fancy strikes.

For me, it's a no-brainer. Pay the same and order it from Davidson's, choosing my local dealer for (over night) delivery.

-Matt

android
December 16, 2009, 11:48 PM
One of the problems I see with Gunbroker is that their only fee is the commission they get when something sells. If they charged a listing fee (like Ebay), perhaps sellers would be more motivated to start items out at a more reasonable price. Since listings are free on Gunbroker, sellers can list things at whatever jackass price they want, and get 50 relistings automatically. With that set-up, there's no incentive to start out with a competitive price. Sure, some listings do start with a competitive price, but many are inflated and perhaps the sellers are just waiting for a "fish" to buy it who doesn't know any better. With information so plentiful on the net now, fish are scarcer and farther between, hence we see those same listings, over and over again.

Yes, this is the one thing I don't like. No fees allows the seller to not be serious about making a sale and allows them to wait forever for a sucker to come along. Regular rules of supply and demand are side stepped.

MattTheHat
December 16, 2009, 11:51 PM
Sorry, I don't reward rudeness, ignorance, AND high prices.

Now, you do have a point about rudeness. But, I've got to tell you from my experience running a retail store for the past 20 years (in an unrelated field), rudeness runs both ways. For that matter so does ignorance.

As far as the high prices, some of the things my local dealer carries can be purchased elsewhere (mail order) for cheaper. But, once I figure in shipping costs and wait time, it's usually not a huge difference. If it is, I'll go ahead and mail order it.

-Matt

dogtown tom
December 17, 2009, 12:35 AM
MattTheHat Quote:
You are correct. He is required to collect the tax. But, legally, on an out of state sale, *I'm* required to report the purchase and pay the tax myself. (Before you ask, no, I don't bother to do so.)
I think your confused. Both you and your dealer don't pay tax on the same purchase (your 2nd & 3rd sentences conflict) In this case, you dealer is the point of sale (you're paying him) and is required by Texas law to collect sales tax. This is not an out of state sale as you are purchasing the item from a Texas business.

You may be confusing sales tax with "use tax". In Texas (as well in most other states) if you purchase an item mail order (or by phone or internet) the out of state seller is not required to collect Texas sales tax unless they have a business presence in Texas (Cabela's for example). When you make an out of state purchase, you (the buyer) are required to pay a "use tax" to the Texas Comptrollers Office.

MattTheHat Quote:There is no transfer fee charged by my local dealer on a purchase from Davidson's, as they're in the Davidson's dealer network. But, there is a transfer fee for the firearm coming from Bud's.

That's because he hides his dealer profit in the sales price of the firearm. The reason he charges a transfer fee for an order from Bud's is because you paid Bud's directly.

nerfsrule2
December 17, 2009, 12:53 AM
What I would like to hear are GOOD gunbroker.com stories: people who found that oddball item, or got a great gun at a can't-believe-it price, or whatever. Any of you out there? .....I have been involved in over 30 transactions on GB.. I have been burned twice.. Once on a Smith 17-4 revolver (The guy said it was like new.. After fixing the trigger and a re-blue, it was) The other a Smith Model 41..(again like new.. after a new upper and a re-blue, it was) A home run was hit with a Springfield Trophy Match Long Slide (Made in USA) 45 acp..LNIB..$750.00

toivo
December 17, 2009, 01:42 AM
I have found some pretty good deals on Gunbroker. I look for the private individuals (or which there are fewer and fewer every day) or the smaller shops, and always people with perfect or near-perfect feedback. My last two purchases were a Savage MK I FVT .22 target rifle and a Ruger Single Six revolver with 4 5/8" barrel. The Ruger was a NIB discontinued model for a very reasonable price. The Savage I had been watching for a while--the seller wasn't getting much action, so he lowered the price and I jumped on it. Both guns were just as described, and the shipping was reasonable and fast.

I have had far worse experiences on eBay, like a camp cot that was described as "like new" but reeked of cigarette smoke and had mildew stains on it or a room humidifier advertised as NIB that was stained, cracked, and had pieces missing.

rogertc1
December 17, 2009, 06:47 AM
I have bought a lot off GB, Buds, & CFS the last few years.
NO TAX.
My FFL fee is only $10.
Shipping $20 to $35
On say a $2000 on-line purchased that is a lot saved.

w_houle
December 17, 2009, 06:55 AM
Sure, some listings do start with a competitive price, but many are inflated and perhaps the sellers are just waiting for a "fish" to buy it who doesn't know any better.

You mean like this guy? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150426890

I swear this gun has been on gunbroker for longer than me.

OldMac
December 17, 2009, 06:56 AM
Only 5 purchases at GB but all went smooth and as expected.

wishin
December 17, 2009, 09:51 AM
Everyone thinks if they wait until the last thirty seconds they'll get the item cheaper. If you've set your sniper to bid $50 in the last second, I'll still beat you by bidding $51....because I placed that bid SIX DAYS AGO.

What a lot of bidders on ebay don't realize is that early "maximum" bids drive up the price of an item, just like a couple of bidders in a live auction that keep raising their paddles. Bidding your maximum at the last minute is a better tactic IF you have the time to hover on the computer until the auction nears end.

GunsAmerica Fan
December 17, 2009, 10:57 AM
You have to be kidding. I've bought and sold dozens of guns on GunBroker and have never been outbid by someone who didn't follow through (you can check the feedback left by the buyer & seller), nor have I ever had a buyer not beat the door down rushing to get payment to me. If you have any real experience buying or selling on GunBroker you would know this.
I have both bought and sold on GB as a private citizen. It didn't happen to me once. I worked a booth at the NRA show and was told this by more than a dozen people.

Uh......do you have any idea how auctions work? You bid what you think the item is worth (that's called your maximum). If you bid more than the item is worth JUST TO WIN....great! Sellers love that.

Don't sell anything on ebay do you?
I've got news for ya......nobody gets denied the opportunity to bid on Ebay. The majority of Ebay auctions are SEVEN DAYS LONG. At any time during those seven days you are free to bid as much as you want. So called "sniper" software for Ebay is useless against a bidder who puts in a bid HIGHER than what you authorized your so called sniper. Everyone thinks if they wait until the last thirty seconds they'll get the item cheaper. If you've set your sniper to bid $50 in the last second, I'll still beat you by bidding $51....because I placed that bid SIX DAYS AGO.
Maybe you put in your maximum bid, but statistically most people put in what they want to buy it for, which is statistically much lower than it will go for. By sniping you don't give them the chance to up their bid to a more realistic price. I buy everything on ebay actually that I can, and I snipe everything.

Riiiiiiight....
That's like saying books aren't good for reading. If GunBroker was the big waste of space you believe it is, it would be belly up by now. GunBroker allows little part time FFL's like me to sell my guns to the entire USA. GunsAmerica wishes it had half the traffic/page hits of GunBroker.

If you check online third party sources, GunsAmerica has much more than half the traffic of GB, and twice as much as AA and Davidsons. Gunbroker actually was belly up, but they scored a 7 million dollar loan this year so they could keep their head above water. [/QUOTE]

No, they don't. All you have to do is see the same ad on Guns America for the last two years to know that a lot of firearms dealers have no clue what a gun is really worth. Gunbroker is not imune to this, and those guns remain unsold. A gun is worth what someone is willing to pay. Period.

GunsAmerica is mostly classified ads and that ad probably has sold hundreds of guns. It stays up because up to a million new people visit GunsAmerica in a given month.

Really? Have you ever bought a gun online or off GunBroker? I'm an FFL in Texas, I don't have a retail storefront, nor am I a stocking dealer. I do transfers. Where do ya think my customers find the firearms they have shipped to me?
I'll tell you where....out of the last hundred transfers I processed:
0 from GunsAmerica
2 were from Auction Arms
3 were orders placed by me at customer request with a distributor
17 were from gunforums (THR, GlockTalk, AR15, etc)
26 were from online gunstores (Bud's, Impact, Cabela's, CDNN, etc)
52 were from GunBroker
Yes, I have, but I stopped since they were both broken. The last one was an 87 Winchester level shotgun for cowboy shooting. It fell apart when I shot it, litteraly in pieces. Sellers know that Gunbroker has no customer support whatsoever so they can sell broken guns with no recourse. GunsAmerica answers customer support inquiries generally the same day boot sellers who rip customers off. Check out the rip off report for gunbroker.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/Company/Gunbroker.aspx
[/QUOTE]
You havne't gotten transfers from GunsAmerica because you probably aren't on their FFL list. ;)

WalMart is one of my local dealers. I buy as much ammunition as I can from them. If you mean the local "mom & pop" gunstore? Sorry, I don't reward rudeness, ignorance, AND high prices.

You make this statement about buying from local dealers..........but you want everyone to patronize GunsAmerica? Are you aware that GunsAmerica sellers aren't all local to where you live?
That you pay too much from mom and pop dealers is a myth. You may pay $50 more for a gun than you will online, and that is at the outside, but in the process you are supporting the backbone of our gun freedom. Without gun dealers there will be no guns.

You are an FFL, but you are not a gun dealer. If a new piece of legislation comes along, you will most likely drop your license. The stocking gun dealer will not. That is why GunsAmerica supports stocking gun dealers because they are not just concerned with making as many after sale fees as they can get. They are a resource for the whole industry. The company is owned and run by real gun people, NRA life members. Real gun dealers work on a 10-18% margin generally, so to undercut them, as some basement dealers are still doing (though it boggles the mind why), you have to sell for much less than that. With the transfer fee and risk of not getting what you won at the auction, it isn't worth it.

GunsAmerica Fan
December 17, 2009, 11:02 AM
GunsAmerica used to be an interesting site, but they took a dump a few years ago with the new software and format, and I've not used them since.

Bought several nice guns thru Gunbroker. No problems. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm not stupid, I dunno. If the piece is worth what I want to pay, and no one outbids me, I take it home. Not too hard to understand.

Yes, it was several years ago now that the GunsAmerica interface collapsed, completely. But it eventually came back and is now much better than any other gun site. The search is incredible. You can use the stuff on the left to find what you want quickly, and the communication is great. The seller can even reply to you via email and you can make the deal offline entirely if you want. GunsAmerica even has videos and articles these days, it's totally different.

MattTheHat
December 17, 2009, 01:08 PM
...You may be confusing sales tax with "use tax"...

You are correct, I was thinking use tax. Even so, I'm still not going to penalize my local dealer for collecting sales tax.

That's because he hides his dealer profit in the sales price of the firearm. The reason he charges a transfer fee for an order from Bud's is because you paid Bud's directly.

I understand he needs to make a profit. If not, he wouldn't be in business. I like to make a profit in my business too. (But this darned economy sure doesn't help.)

My point is that if I purchase from Bud's, my dealer is going to charge a transfer fee, which, when added to the price I pay Bud's, makes the prices vary by less than $15.

-Matt

CoRoMo
December 17, 2009, 01:18 PM
GunsAmerica Fan:

I see you are back plugging for your site. As I asked earlier, do you work for, or are you otherwise affiliated with GunsAmerica?

It is so strange that you showed up like this to hype that website and bash its competitor. I'm astonished that the mods haven't done something about this, but on the outside chance that you are just another joe-schmo, the way you've conducted yourself in your initial posts is... well... strange.

jdowney
December 17, 2009, 03:12 PM
I've bought and sold on Gunbroker, nothing to it. I've made use of their list of ffl's, have great relationships with two of them, both very reasonably priced. It does take some work and persistence to weed through all the junk - auctions started at retail, auctions for cheep stuff no body wants - but I've found it to be worth the effort.

For selling I do prefer forum classifieds, both here and elsewhere, though the one time I got screwed on a buy it was through a forum - could have happened on GB too. Or even at a gun show for that matter. Buyer beware is always the rule.

GunsAmerica Fan
December 17, 2009, 04:53 PM
I didn't start the thread. I found the thread because I have it in a google search for gunsamerica, and someone had already answered it. So I registered. I believe I have also said repeatedly to buy guns from your local dealer, not to buy guns through GunsAmerica. I haven't bashed I have defended and educated. I saw an accusation that I worked for GunsAmerica, not a question, which is what this is phrased as. No, I do not technically work for GunsAmerica lol. Why would it matter anyway?

hso
December 17, 2009, 05:06 PM
As to Gunbroker, my personal experience has always been positive, but I specifically look for older firearms or more unique firearms that aren't readily available from a local source. I've also used GA for the same purpose as well as AuctionArms and any of the auction sites.

GunsAmerica Fan
December 17, 2009, 05:29 PM
Sorry I didn't realize I had to check the box to show signature on quick replies.

w_houle
December 17, 2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.gunsamerica.com/938604649/Guns/Pistols/Jennings-Pistols/Jimenez_Arms_model_J_A_Nine_9mm_Para.htm

Jimenez JA NINE pistol: $319.95 and $ 19.95 shipping

...and did a general search
http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?T=jennings

... are they high?

wishin
December 17, 2009, 06:10 PM
GunsAmerica fan, I got "flamed" on my very first particitation in a thread, maybe it's some kind of initiation ritual.

GunsAmerica Fan
December 17, 2009, 06:20 PM
I've had the honor of a moderator sending me a pm lol. I think it's like TSA you give someone authority and they find all kinds of ways to show you how powerful they are. ;)

amd6547
December 17, 2009, 06:40 PM
I have made two purchases from GunBroker, both were great deals. The last was a Browning 1910 380 which nobody bid on since the seller mis-spelled "Browning" in the title...I found it by accident.
I never deal with the local gun stores, they are all horribly overpriced, and difficult people to deal with. My rifle club has it's own FFL, and does no charge transfers as a membership benefit.

Boba Fett
December 17, 2009, 09:05 PM
I've had the honor of a moderator sending me a pm lol. I think it's like TSA you give someone authority and they find all kinds of ways to show you how powerful they are. ;)

I think this thread has gone far enough.

@GunsAmerica Fan

You appear to represent GunsAmerica. Your name, signature, and actions certainly give that appearance. And your first posts were an attack on your competition and a slimy promotion of your own site.

We have other firearms companies represented here by their owners and operators, but from what I have seen, they respect their competition. Certainly they may promote their own company, but I have not seen them bash a competitor.

As a business, your attacks on your competition are simply low down and are not High Road material. I do not like seeing our forum used as a way to spread propaganda against a competitor while advertising how great your own site is. :mad:

And if that were not enough, you have the gall to take a swipe at our moderators. :cuss: I may not always agree with our moderators, but they have always been fair. Everyone whose been on THR long enough has probably had a thread or post burned by the moderators and been given a talking to. We all have passionate views and we've all said something that got a bit out of line. Our moderators have done an excellent job of keeping us in check and keeping this forum from becoming just another worthless site on the web.

Because of your actions, I pledge not to use the GunsAmerica.com service. There are other sites out there that will accomplish the same ends.

taliv
December 17, 2009, 09:32 PM
so a mod sends you a PM asking for you to make your affiliation clear and you accuse us of being like the TSA? geez

your behavior at THR thus far is making me regret defending gunsamerica over the years in threads such as this http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=245279

i'll refrain from boycotting gunsamerica like Boba until we find out whether you're actually affiliated with them.

GunsAmerica Fan
December 17, 2009, 10:36 PM
Ok Taliv, thanks for that. I believe my strongest argument has been to promote people buying guns through their local dealer. Other than that I only answered someone's criticisms about GA, in detail, and everything I wrote was either publicly released by my competitor as a media press release, or personal experience. I didn't start this thread and only came here to check it out because someone else mentioned GunsAmerica. I also welcomed said moderator to take down my posts if he thought it inappropriate. As for the TSA comparison, how would it be not acceptable, under the rules of this website, for a competitor to get involved in a complaint discussion about his competition that he didn't start? I am interested to find out why so many people have such hatred for GB. There are whole websites dedicated to it, and I (and as far as I could ever imagine AA) certainly don't have anything to do with it. If I choose defend classified ads over auctions in general (GA has auctions but we discourage their use for commodity guns) or my company mission to support the stocking dealers, and show people how we put our money where our mouth is, how would that be something a moderator would get interested in? Doesn't it sound like someone telling a TSA guy that they are late for their flight and said TSA guy deciding to strip search them? I don't generally have issues with moderators. They keep these boards very useful, but hello??

GunsAmerica Fan
December 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
Oh, and btw, this is not the only thread I have commented on, and my signature did show up on many of the posts. If I was trying to hide something why would I go and put my signature on my posts? I don't know why sometimes I have to check the box and sometimes I don't. Now I know to check the check lol.

HammerheadSSN663
December 17, 2009, 10:47 PM
Your money is better spent on yourself. By that I mean, you are paying yourself by buying from reputable online dealer or local gun shop. How much is your time worth in $$ considering the stress of the discount auction?

Time (the minutes of your life) is indeed worth something.

Boba Fett
December 17, 2009, 11:01 PM
If I choose defend classified ads over auctions in general (GA has auctions but we discourage their use for commodity guns) or my company mission to support the stocking dealers, and show people how we put our money where our mouth is...

Now we're getting somewhere. So you are affiliated with Guns America then.

As for the TSA comparison, how would it be not acceptable, under the rules of this website, for a competitor to get involved in a complaint discussion about his competition that he didn't start?

Um...I think you answered your own dumb question. "...for a competitor to get involved in a complaint discussion about his competition that he didn't start." So this isn't a complaint about your company. It isn't about you. So you involved yourself in a complaint that wasn't about your company so you could pump up your own company by fueling the "hate flames" against your competition.

And making derogatory remarks about our moderators isn't helping your case.

I am interested to find out why so many people have such hatred for GB. There are whole websites dedicated to it...

Well if there are all these websites out there dedicated to hating Gunbroker.com, you should have all the info you need, right?

I didn't start this thread and only came here to check it out because someone else mentioned GunsAmerica.
I believe my strongest argument has been to promote people buying guns through their local dealer.

No, you didn't start the thread. You're the one who dug it up after two years.

And you didn't start by promoting mom and pop stores. You started with a swipe at Gun Broker and Auction Arms.

I don't understand why people who dislike Gunbroker (or even those who like Gunbroker) don't just use GunsAmerica. It is so much easier to just go buy the gun, and you find deals that you don't see in the auctions, people who just want to get rid of guns. On the auctions, GB and AA both, you think you are going to get it for a certain price then someone outbids you and you wasted all that time. At least on GunsAmerica you can just email the seller and ask if he'll take your price. A lot of times they will!

I love GunsAmerica! I check it every day.
http://www.gunsamerica.com

GunsAmerica Fan
December 18, 2009, 01:14 AM
Check your timestamps bub. I didn't bump the thread. I didn't even know it was an old thread. I just got the thing on my google alerts, after someone else mentioned GA. You don't fan "hate flames" by arguing the virtues of the classified ad format lol. And no, I don't have all the info I need about why people hate GB. I know the dirt, but I have learned a lot from threads like these about practices that they have that we don't police very well either. You can learn something every day if you just look around and listen.

Oh, and as to who I am, one of the moderators emailed customer service tonight and confirmed who I am. I may look like a troll, act like a troll, have the manners of a troll, and after shooting all day at Trail Glades Range in miami in 90 degree 100% humidity, smell like a troll, but I am officially confirmed to not be a troll. This is living! :)

Tim the student
December 18, 2009, 01:25 AM
Check your timestamps bub. I didn't bump the thread.

Well, looking at posts #49 and #50 makes it look like you did, bub. #49 is from 2007, and #50 is from you recently. Hmmm, odd....

Boba Fett
December 18, 2009, 01:29 AM
Check your timestamps bub. I didn't bump the thread.

Check them yourself.

Bottom of this page. Post 50. It comes after post 49.
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=293748&page=2

Post 49 by jawrat: August 7, 2007, 09:50 AM

Post 50 by GunsAmerica Fan: December 16, 2009, 10:57 AM

Glad I could explain it for you.

I am officially confirmed to not be a troll.

Confirmed, thus far, only by you.

I stand by my earlier remarks. Your conduct as an affiliate of Guns America has shown you are not a company I want to do business with. And your continued malarkey does not help to change that belief.

GunsAmerica Fan
December 18, 2009, 01:41 AM
Wow I guess I should have checked my timestamps sorry. :( I don't know why google alerts would just catch it now. I thought it was a current thread. Bummer.

Boba Fett
December 18, 2009, 03:23 AM
If you check online third party sources, GunsAmerica has much more than half the traffic of GB, and twice as much as AA and Davidsons.

Whoops....looks like that one's going to come back to bite you.

I took your advice. Great idea to look up your site traffic. Ready for the results? Wait for it...wait for it....:evil:

http://compete.com

(had to post two since I didn't want to register just so I could compare all 4 sites)
http://grapher.compete.com/gunbroker.com+gunsamerica.com+auctionarms.com_sess.png
http://grapher.compete.com/gunbroker.com+gunsamerica.com+galleryofguns.com_sess.png

No satisfied with just one search, I did a few more:

Google Trends
http://trends.google.com/websites?q=gunbroker.com%2C+gunsamerica.com%2C+galleryofguns.com%2C+auctionarms.com&geo=US&date=ytd&sort=0
Sorry, image wouldn't post, but Gunbroker beats GunsAmerica. GunsAmerica beats the GalleryofGuns and AuctionArms.

http://www.quantcast.com/
Wouldn't call this as reliable since only gunbroker.com is directly measured (according to them).
http://www.quantcast.com/profile/trafficGraph?wunit=wd%3Acom.gunsamerica&wunit1=wd:com.gunbroker&wunit2=wd:com.auctionarms&wunit3=wd:com.galleryofguns&drg=us&dty=pp&dtr=dd&gl=1yr&ggt=large&showDeleteButtons=true&width=520

Alexa.com - as I understand it, Alexa is less reliable since it only gathers info from people with the Alexa toolbar. But interestingly, people with the Alexa tool bar visit GalleryofGuns and AuctionArms a lot more than GunsAmerica and leave Gunbroker.com in the dust.

http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?&w=400&h=220&o=f&c=1&y=t&b=ffffff&r=2y&u=gunbroker.com&&u=gunsamerica.com&u=galleryofguns.com&u=auctionarms.com&

*EDIT*

Gunbroker actually was belly up, but they scored a 7 million dollar loan this year so they could keep their head above water.

Got a link for that? I looked and didn't find anything, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Only thing I found was where Gun Broker was loaned 7 million for expansion by Bank of America.
http://topnews.us/content/24443-gunbrokercom-closes-7-million-debt-funding-round-bank-america

Didn't see anything in there that said they went "belly up." Looks like they are simply borrowing for expansion.

An interesting section from that article:
In terms of popularity of the site, HitWise found GunBroker. com - the biggest online auction site and community for firearms, accessories and hunting supplies - ranking among the leading three most-visited auction sites on the Internet; Quantcast found it ranking among the top 1000 web sites of any kind.

Actually is was ranked at 600. Pretty good!

philobeddoe
December 18, 2009, 03:29 AM
I've been very fortunate with Gunbroker and Gunsamerica

I've bought some quality firearms at respectable prices, I've dealt with some square sellers, and I've interacted enough with some to know not to bother transacting

I was contacted yesterday by a seller I bought from online about five years ago, regarding an investigation ... funny story, but only because they weren't looking for me :D

wishin
December 18, 2009, 09:00 AM
This thread makes for good reading, but I can't be the only THR member that finds the continued argument tiresome. I find both GunBroker and GunsAmerica useful when buying and comparing what-the market-will-bear regarding guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunbroker sucks." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!