How do you say WASR-10?

PDA

Baron357
August 5, 2007, 04:13 PM
Instead of sounding dumb in the gun shop I go to all the time I figured I would sound dumb here. So when asking for a WASR-10 how do you pronounce it. Do you sound it out or do you say W-A-S-R 10?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you say WASR-10?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
imprezagm4
August 5, 2007, 04:44 PM
waasir

MudPuppy
August 5, 2007, 04:51 PM
I don't know if its right or not, but I say:
Wah Zurr Ten. Or Wah Zurr.

The Deer Hunter
August 5, 2007, 04:52 PM
I say wasser in my head, but I also say FAL as fall in my head. But when I'm talking about them to people I would say F-A-L, so I guess I would say...I actually think I would say wasser.

h0ss
August 5, 2007, 05:02 PM
I pronounce it wah-sir ten. Saying each and every individual letter then the number ten just takes too long.

SaMx
August 5, 2007, 05:15 PM
"wah-sir ten"

here is one, when you say the names of rounds, do you pronounce the whole thing? like "seven six two by three nine" or do you shorten it?

here's one, carbine. Does the "ine" rhyme with machine or does it rhyme with wine. :neener:

HiroProX
August 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
"AK-47"

:cool:

Geno
August 5, 2007, 05:28 PM
"Say hey, Bub! I wanna take 'at 'hare Wah-Sir 10 home 'ith me." :p

Lordy sakes...man asks a serious question and look at the answers he gets. :)

22_Shooter
August 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
Just walk in and say "Gimme the cheapest AK you have".:neener:

Harry Paget Flashman
August 5, 2007, 05:56 PM
Just say "Romanian AK".

sharkhunter2018
August 5, 2007, 06:35 PM
For those that know what i have i just refer to it as "the AK". as to the specific model ive always said W-A-S-R 10.

names of rounds, i say seven six two by thirty nine (seven six two by fifty four R, seven six two by fifty one and so on)

as for "carbine", its always been machine for me

h0ss
August 5, 2007, 07:32 PM
don't pick on me for saying wah-sir! :D I dont actually hesitate in the middle of saying wasr, i was just hyphenating it to illustrate how i pronounce it :p

actually, i only shorten some things, other things i say "normally". I also say "seven six two by thirty nine"

Another good question about the carbine... i've always wondered how it is supposed to be pronounced. I've always heard and pronounced it as the carbine rhymed with wine, then i heard someone else i went shooting with pronounce it to where it rhymed with machine. :)

I guess it just depends on how lazy i'm feeling at any particular time, or if it just seems easier for me to say it a certain way.

McKnife
August 5, 2007, 08:43 PM
Wuuuuuh-zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! -- oh good times :neener:

SecuritySixShooter
August 5, 2007, 09:13 PM
If thats how you say WASR then how do you say GP WASR 10 :neener:

Prince Yamato
August 5, 2007, 10:47 PM
isn't WASR, "Walachian Automatic Sporting Rifle"? So couldn't you pronounce it either way?

Wah-Sir. As a phonetic abbreviation or W-A-S-R for the anagram.

W.E.G.
August 5, 2007, 10:49 PM
Wild A$$ Shootin' Rifle 1.0

fletcher
August 5, 2007, 10:52 PM
I have never said it, but I think of it as wah-sir.

SigfanUSAF
August 5, 2007, 10:53 PM
WASR10:

I say "Century AK"

:neener:

Crunker1337
August 5, 2007, 11:11 PM
I say W-A-S-R Ten.

I pronounce carbine car-bhyne.

Killian
August 6, 2007, 01:42 AM
Usually I just point, stammer out something incoherent about needing to kill a lot of somethings RIGHT NOW, and pretend to shoot stuff while making "ratta tatta tow, ratta tatta tow" noises. So far this has saved me from actually having to pronounce WASR 10 to any clerks because they throw me out before then.

I have mispronounced SAIGA on a consistent basis though.

Leif Runenritzer
August 6, 2007, 04:03 AM
I have mispronounced SAIGA on a consistent basis though.Why would you be talking about Sega on a gun board? :D

TheDisturbed1
August 6, 2007, 04:23 AM
I say it as Way-Sir. WASR.

but i always call mine the AK-101 (5.56, all black)

tdubya
August 7, 2007, 12:57 PM
Wah-Sir

Hooked on phonics worked for me :neener:

erict
August 7, 2007, 01:17 PM
I say it w-a-s-r

I pronounce carbine like carbean but not much emphasis on bean.

MikeH
August 7, 2007, 01:29 PM
Never heard anyone say Ack-forty-seven or Arrrh-fifteen, so I figure W-A-S-R would be correct.

strat81
August 7, 2007, 01:30 PM
wah-sir
car-bean

I also say soda, not pop; sneakers, not tennis shoes; and sprinkles, not jimmies.

collateral
August 7, 2007, 02:01 PM
Wah-sir.

saying it like W-A-S-R takes too long hah

Bones11b
August 7, 2007, 07:02 PM
Funny my buddies and I always refer to them as warsaw 10's, like the pact. Everyone seems to know what AK type we're talking about, but then again everyone is probably snickering when we leave :neener:

cameron.personal
August 7, 2007, 10:33 PM
Wah-sir

car-bean

hankdatank1362
August 8, 2007, 12:18 AM
Wah-Sir

Car-Bean (Even though I swear I read something years ago that proved me wrong... I don't care)

And what the Hell are Jimmies?

I'm Southern... we "cut" lights on and "cut" them off, I "reckon", and any length of distance is "O'er yonder." There's even some areas where lunch is still dinner and dinner is still supper... the term "lunch" is not in thier vocabulary.

h0ss
August 8, 2007, 02:44 AM
hank: "Jimmies" are sprinkles. I guess it's a New England thing, even though i was born and raised in New England, i'd never even heard of them being called that until visiting some of my wife's relatives in Maine. I insisted that they were sprinkles, but everyone else called them Jimmies. I think i got them to somewhat crack though, when they admitted that the rainbow colored ones were sprinkles, and the all chocolate ones were Jimmies. Or maybe the other way around. I forget :D

otomik
August 8, 2007, 02:55 AM
Funny my buddies and I always refer to them as warsaw 10's, like the pact. Everyone seems to know what AK type we're talking about, but then again everyone is probably snickering when we leaveyeah a friend of mine said warsaw 10, i knew what he was talking about. corrected him but it sounded better his way with all the soviet kitsch allure in it.

Nolo
August 8, 2007, 03:07 AM
Wah-Sir is right, as far as I know, but, depending on dialect and area, "carbine" can be either:
Kahr-Been
or
Kahr-Bahyn
Either one works, and most dictionaries have both.

Evil Monkey
August 8, 2007, 03:13 AM
I got tired of saying "Wah-sir" and getting this>>>:confused:

So I started to call it, "Romanian AKM".

SVT93
August 8, 2007, 03:13 AM
wah ser

Prince Yamato
August 8, 2007, 03:33 AM
I'm pretty sure the anagram folks have it right.. W-A-S-R. Walachian Automatic Sporting Rifle.

if you say Wah-suhr, it sounds like you're mispronouncing "wasser", the German word for water.

An alternative would be "RomAK" or Romak, short for Romanian AK.

If you say "wah-suhr", I'd hate to be the guy behind the counter when you want to buy an MP5 :D

===

Also

Car- BYNE= british english

Car-Bean= Germanic variation as in "Karbiner"

Mantua
August 8, 2007, 07:56 AM
W-A-S-R, Jimmies if they're chocolate- sprinkles if they're rainbow, car-byne.
I also paaahk the caah by the waawtah.
WASR doesn't look pronounceable to me, so I spell it out.

JWarren
August 8, 2007, 08:17 AM
I can see I am in the minority here-- I say it by its letters -- W-A-S-R-10. My logic was that if I say AK, I don't say "Ack." If I say AR, I don't say "Arh."

Granted those aren't quite as long as a WASR-10. Like one mentioned on here, if I did look at one at a show or in a shop, I always say "Hey, can I take a look at that AK? Oh, its a Century."

(Not taking a stab at guys that own WASRs-- I just don't want one. I've had an SAR-1, and I have a Romanian "G" already along with a Polish and a Russian. I'm done on Rommy's for a while, I think.)

-- John

Baron357
August 8, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys, I will call it "one of those cheap Romanian AKs" and if I want to get more specific I will spell it out W-A-S-R 10.

Thanks again.

EdLaver
August 8, 2007, 12:53 PM
Like a previous poster mentioned, I usually say "Romanian AK" then the seller will say oh yeah we have lots of wah-ser's. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you say WASR-10?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!