How much ammo do you carry

PDA

Ragnar Danneskjold
August 6, 2007, 12:05 AM
Self explanatory. Do you carry reloads when your out and about with your CCW? Personally, I don't feel like carrying extra mags on my person is worth the weight and hassle. I've got my weapon(10+1), keys, cell phone, wallet, and ipod. That's a lot of stuff already. I do keep extra mags in my backpack, but not on me personally.

If you enjoyed reading about "How much ammo do you carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Autolycus
August 6, 2007, 12:07 AM
If I was allowed to carry in this state I would have at least 1 extra reload for my P2000sk. A 12 round magazine in place of the 9 round .40 S&W mags the gun normally uses.

I personally plan on carrying 2 when I move out of here but I will not go out without at least 1.

General Geoff
August 6, 2007, 12:09 AM
Typically, I just carry the 12+1 in my SW99.

Inner Monkey
August 6, 2007, 12:12 AM
Most of the time I carry a SIG P229 9mm 15+1 with two additional magazines (9mm MECGAR 15 rounds each). Total load is 46 rounds.

On occasion I also carry a SIG P239 9mm with 8+1 with two additional magazines (8 rounds each). Total load is 25 rounds.

camslam
August 6, 2007, 12:15 AM
Usually carry my 10 +1, and a backup 13 round magazine. Not always, but especially when I am going into areas where I think there may be a higher likelihood of problems. (I know, why would I be going into that area in the first place)

TheKnight
August 6, 2007, 12:16 AM
When out and about carring concealed, I never carry reloads. I do carry an extra mag or two depending on what I am wearing, and what I am carring. So I figure I am carring around 25-37 rounds

I guess you have to figure out what is comfortable to you when considering extra mags or not bring extra mags.
But since I work in a fairly crime infested area, I rather have the extra weight of the mags than to be in a situation where I wished I had them.

The Canuck
August 6, 2007, 12:19 AM
When we get our version of CCW available to the masses up here in Kanuckistan... or when I move to AZ...

My TRP Operator: Condition 1 with a Chip McCormack 8rd. in the gun and two more on the belt. All loaded with 230gr. JHP.

25 rounds total.

My (soon to own) P229: 13+1 in the gun plus two more on the belt. All loaded with 124gr. JHP.

40 rounds total.

.cheese.
August 6, 2007, 12:22 AM
split

50% of the time I carry an extra mag (either 10 or 13 rounds depending upon which gun I carry). The other 50% of the time I just carry the gun.

So 10-26.

With the new Smith 642 though, I'll probably only carry the 5 in the gun.

ConstitutionCowboy
August 6, 2007, 12:24 AM
I carry 22 rounds of 45ACP(three mags with 7 rounds and one cartridge in the pipe) most of the time, and 44 rounds when I have my BUG with me as well.

Woody

Richmond
August 6, 2007, 12:31 AM
My usual EDC is a S&W J-frame. Speedloaders are bulky; I have a couple of speedstrips but am not crazy about them.

Last year I was in Tokyo as a coach on a karate team. Most of us picked up a small clasp type cloth purse in a market - you use coins a lot in Japan and they clutter your pockets. The little coin purses were great.

So last spring, the obvious hit me and I pulled out the coin purse, emptied out the leftover Japanese coinage. It carries 10 extra rounds of Corbon 110 DPX and sits wonderfully in the pocket. A little slow, but I figure the distraction factor of someone watching me pull it out of my pocket to reload ("Say, did you borrow that from your Gramma?") is worth it. ;)

When I carry a 1911 I carry an extra mag.

Joey_the_Wolf
August 6, 2007, 12:32 AM
Depends on what I'm carrying. If I'm toting around my 92FS with 16 9mm rounds in it, I feel comfortable enough most of the time to go without an extra mag, but if I'm carrying my 1911, I'll carry at least one extra mag. If I need to reload, a handgun probably won't be saving my life that day. Whatever doesn't get solved with 9 rounds of .45 ACP, or 16 rounds of 9mm +p probably won't get solved by a few more rounds. Then again, I do like being prepared, so alot of times I'll tote along an extra mag if I have space in my pockets or if it isn't too much of a hassle.

Bad Penny 03
August 6, 2007, 12:53 AM
15+1 Glock M22
2ea 15 round mags

5 rounds in .38
1ea 5 round speed loader or speed strip.

56 rounds.

Plus or minus clothing restrictions

Basically I always carry at least 1 reload for what ever weapons I have on me at the time.

mljdeckard
August 6, 2007, 12:56 AM
Think about it,

The reason we carry, is because bad things can happen. If one bad thing can happen, (you get attacked by a bad guy,) another bad thing can happen. (Your pistol can jam.) Admittedly, this is mitigated if you carry a revolver, but it seems a little limited to assume that ONLY the things you think about can go wrong. Besides a weapon, you should also be reasonably fit, have a cell phone, wear shoes you can run and fight in, and a good folding knife is probably a good idea too.

The main reason to carry a reload is to clear a malfunction. Higher capacity is less important. If you have a job that's too big to be done with ten rounds, you should be using something bigger than a pistol anyway.

I always carry two spare 1911 mags, for a total of 25 rounds for my Kimber. However, recently I have been considering switching out one mag for a good flashlight. I think it is much more likely that I will need the light than a third mag.

nwilliams
August 6, 2007, 01:09 AM
When I carry my Makarov I carry with 7+1 in the gun and two extra 8rd mags with 7 in each.

When I carry my M&P.40 I carry it with 13+1 in the gun and carry two extra 14rd mags with 13rds in each. If you're wondering I don't carry my mags topped off I always carry them -1, that's just the way I was trained.

So that's 22 rounds of 9x18 when I carry my Makarov and 40 rounds of .40 when I carry my M&P.

xilch
August 6, 2007, 01:16 AM
I carry a Kahr CW9 that only holds 7 rounds, so I carry two extra magazines for a total of 21 rounds of 115gn hollow points.

M1 Shooter
August 6, 2007, 01:38 AM
I always carry at least one reload for whatever I'm carrying. The majority of the time my CCW is my old S&W M60 .38 Spl. loaded with 5 rounds of +P hollowpoints with a speedloader loaded with 5 more of those +P hollowpoints, for a total of 10 rounds. I have found that a speedloader fits perfectly in the little "watch" pocket on my jeans. You know, that little seemingly useless pocket that sits right above the right side front pocket. Occasionally, I will also carry an "ammo wallet", which is a little plastic flip top container that holds 18 rounds in a flat package that fits easily in my back pocket. Usually the "wallet" is just kept in my car's center console. I have several different loads in it for different situations.

When I carry my Colt Commander it is loaded 7+1 with 230gr ball or JHP, and depending on what I'm doing, anywhere from 1 to as many as 10 spare mags. Of course, I don't ever carry more than two spare mags on my person at a time, the others are kept in the car or in my pack when I'm camping or hiking.

Bunkerbuster
August 6, 2007, 02:01 AM
I carry extra 2 magazine on a double magazine holster. I use to carry 1 magazine on single mag holster, but double seem more physically comfortable than single mag holster.

Single mag holster tend to pinch my back a lot. The double tend not to. So, i carry 2 spare mags.

GunTech
August 6, 2007, 02:15 AM
Truth? I usually carry the 6 in the gun, but I've never been in a place in the state where I felt I had to be armed. When I worked in North Portland, in the area we called 'crack alley', I carried my Glock 23 and two spare 15 round magazines.

If you play the statistics game, most gunfights involve less than three shots fired. And most people don't practice reloading under pressure, anyway. Chances are, you'll never get the chance to reload if the first magazine doesn't get the job done.

WeedWhacker
August 6, 2007, 02:23 AM
For magazine-fed firearms, one should always carry a spare magazine - not just for the additional ammunition, but because the magazine is the most failure-prone part of a semi-auto.

That said, I carry anywhere from ten to thirty-five rounds, if I'm carrying concealed.

Ragnar Danneskjold
August 6, 2007, 02:33 AM
I'm a firm believer in probabilities. The likelihood of needing my CCW weapon is pretty small. The likelihood of me actually having to fire it is even smaller. And the likelihood of it malfunctioning when I have to fire it is even smaller than that. Possible? Of course. But infinitesimally small compared to how many times I go about my daily life while carrying. I honestly just don't see bogging myself down with ammo and tac-gear everyday as worth it compared to such a small probability of actually needing it. If I carry my firearm everyday for years not needing it, and the one time I have to pull it out, the guy isn't scared away and I need to fire, and then it malfunctions, than I guess it's just my time. I'm not Batman. The amount of space and weight I allot to stuff I carry is finite. And I feel that 11 rounds in 1 mag is good enough. I'll use my cell phone, multi-tool, wallet, keys and ipod 10000 times more than I will my pistol. And if by some chance I do end up in the middle of North Hollywood Shootout part 2, I do carry spare mags in by backpack.

trickyasafox
August 6, 2007, 02:37 AM
hunting i carry a spare mag or 2, just because if i get hurt, i'll have enough ammo to signal if i am lost and can't get a cell phone call to connect.

Cannonball888
August 6, 2007, 08:58 AM
1 loaded gun and a spare mag 7 + 6rds or
1 loaded gun and a spare mag 9 + 9rds or
2 loaded guns 5 and 7rds

fletcher
August 6, 2007, 09:00 AM
I very rarely carry extra magazines with me. It's either 8+1 with the Makarov, or 12+1 in my USP.

revjen45
August 6, 2007, 09:00 AM
10+1 in the gun plus 2 mags of 10 rds each= 31 rds.

El Tejon
August 6, 2007, 09:02 AM
taurusowner, why would you assume your magazine will function when you need it to function?:uhoh:

Extra magazines may not be comfortable (however if you have a good carrier and good belt then no problem), but they are very comforting.

I carry two extra mags for my 1911.

obxned
August 6, 2007, 09:07 AM
I carry 1 extra mag, but if I was going to carry something with a double-stack mag, I probably would not.

scbair
August 6, 2007, 09:33 AM
When armed with my M642, I pack 2 speed strips in a small pocket pouch (may need more than 5 rounds);

When packing my BHP, an extra mag in a belt pouch (in case the one in the mag well malfunctions . . .).

Seriously, I was taught at an early age (military Dad & older brother) to reload any firearm to capacity immediatley upon being offered an opportunity. Regardless of whether the arm is a double-barreled shotgun, a 5-6 round revolver, a 15-round pistol or a 40-round rifle; recharge when you have a chance! Otherwise, you're packing a disposable weapon.:D

rantingredneck
August 6, 2007, 09:38 AM
Depends on what I'm carrying. If my mousegun (NAA Guardian .32NAA) then most definitely one extra mag. If my wheelgun (Taurus 817 38SPL +P) then one full cylinder's worth of extras (need some speedloaders).

If I'm carrying my P345 or P90 I usually (90% of the time or so) have a spare mag in my left front pocket. Honestly though it sometimes gets left in the truck.

If I'm carrying my P89 then I usually just leave the extra mag in the truck. Honestly though, the P89 doesn't get as much carry time these days.

indie
August 6, 2007, 09:46 AM
when i get my ccw, i will probably will not carry a reload.

alex_trebek
August 6, 2007, 09:51 AM
Personally I carry a 1911 Two 7 round mags, 1 chambered. Total of 15 rounds.

My friend (who isnt a THR member) carries two glock 23's and 80 rounds. Two spare 13 round mags for each, each glock with one chambered. He carries by far more than anyone i have known.

Geno
August 6, 2007, 09:56 AM
While this is a good topic, it has been done many times.

For my part, it depends on where I am carrying, and what I'm carrying. However, in either case, I do as I was taught to do by my Tactical Shooting and Advanced Tactical instructors: carry the most that one can, and always have a back-up.

Smokewagon45
August 6, 2007, 10:04 AM
10+1 in the firearm and 1 extra mag in the console of the pickup.;)

Mannlicher
August 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
When using one of my revolvers in a CCW role, I carry at least two reloads .
With an autoloader, depending on magazine capacity, at least one extra magazine.
Best to have it, and not need it................

GRIZ22
August 6, 2007, 11:43 AM
I always carry at least 1 reload whether it be 5 or 15 extra rounds. Most confrontations will be over before you fire 5 shots. If it isn't I have the spares to get me out of where I am.

davhina
August 6, 2007, 11:53 AM
13+1 and 1 spare 13 round mag
cell phone

strat81
August 6, 2007, 12:13 PM
This thread might shed some light:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=253771&highlight=carry+extra

Scorpiusdeus
August 6, 2007, 12:14 PM
I magazine in the weapon and four or five on my person. Sig P226ST .40 S&W

DirksterG30
August 6, 2007, 12:32 PM
CZ P-01 - 14+1 in the gun, spare 14rd magazube
Keltec P3AT - 6+1 in the gun, 2 spare 6rd magazines
Kahr MK9 - 6+1 in the gun, 2 spare magazines (1x6rd & 1x7rd)

I carry the spare(s) not because I fear I'll be in a firefight, but because the magazine can often be the autoloaders weak link.

10 Ring Tao
August 6, 2007, 03:22 PM
I have yet to read where a civilian CCW'er has needed more than 5 shots, and indeed, the vast majority of self defense shootings involve about 3 seconds with 3 shots fired.

If I need a reload, and have time to reload, I'll be getting the hell out of there.

I've done my homework, and I'm comfortable with where I've chosen to be as far as equipment. Just having the gun and being willing to display and then shoot it takes care of 99.9% of possible threats.

Without a batman belt, there is a point of diminishing returns where you have so much junk in your pockets and around your waist it negatively affects movement and comfort. If I didn't carry a cellphone, I'd probably throw a mag in that pocket, but I'm far more likely to need a cellphone than a reload.

I have a routine I can live with. An important part of that routine is that its easy enough that I'll do it every day, without fail. Too much burden, and its real easy to say, 'Screw it, I don't feel like lugging around a midget in my pockets today'.

That said, I've made an exception 3 times. Each involved going to a place I'd normally avoid, at a time of day I'd also normally avoid.

Geno
August 6, 2007, 03:33 PM
10 Ring Tao:

I see the point about too much equipment, and agree about the very fast end to almost all gun fights. The Advanced Tactical instructor told us one evening about the fact that he has had 3 autoloaders break on duty, and 3 revolvers break on duty. He also spoke of failed mags being the typical weak link. What he suggested for us, if the autoload pistol fails, drop the mag, reload with a fresh mag and rack the slide all while still on the move. If one does not have a spare, that becomes impossible. He also told us of watching Glock, Colt, and other mags dropping the bottom right out, and bullets rolling all over the floor.

For my part, I prefer say a G19C, and 2 spare mags. Then, as a back-up, a P3AT with 1 spare mag. So, I really don't carry too much if you consider the take of the instructor of drop the mag, because the mag will likely be the system's weak point.

In closing, you made one excellent point which bares reinforcing...habit, or rountine. Carry what you will, but have life down to a well-rehersed routine...conditioned response! No one has time to fumble.

Good to hear from you!

Doc2005

mpmarty
August 6, 2007, 03:34 PM
I have never had a magazine "fail" by itself. I keep them clean and if one gets dropped or otherwise becomes suspect I verify that it is still 100% reliable or I don't use it. Once a known good magazine is in the weapon, a fresh round in the chamber, I feel no need for another magazine to reload. 10+1 of my solid copper barnes 45acp flying ashtrays is plenty. Or in the winter 15+1 of 200gr 10mm Hornady XTPs.

HippieCrusher
August 6, 2007, 03:44 PM
Quote-
"I magazine in the weapon and four or five on my person. Sig P226ST .40 S&W"

Wow! Where do you live, along the Pakistan / Afghanistan border? Five rounds in my SP101 .357 is plenty. I don't plan on encountering any insurgents or rollin' up in the hood with my homies. Besides when the SHFT, KISS.

geekWithA.45
August 6, 2007, 04:13 PM
When Sig P245ing, 6+1, min: 1x8, usually 2x8
When J-framing, 5, 2 x5 safariland speedloaders
When TPHing (bug), 6+1, 2x6

pharmer
August 6, 2007, 04:19 PM
6906, 11+1. I guess I could carry a 5906 15 rd reload, but after 12 shots I'd probably be dead as something waaay bigger than me has happened. Joe

Nikdfish
August 6, 2007, 04:24 PM
A thin pouch with a couple of 7 round magazines carried in the left back pocket is an everyday thing ...

Nick

10 Ring Tao
August 6, 2007, 04:38 PM
I have never had a magazine "fail" by itself. I keep them clean and if one gets dropped or otherwise becomes suspect I verify that it is still 100% reliable or I don't use it.

Right, same here. Any mag I carry has been very well tested and inspected. I'm not sure I understand how a broken in and tested, but essentially factory new mag could spontaneously fail anyway. If it works when I test it, and nothing changes after, whats going to fail or break?

shadowalker
August 6, 2007, 04:40 PM
Right, same here. Any mag I carry has been very well tested and inspected. I'm not sure I understand how a broken in and tested, but essentially factory new mag could spontaneously fail anyway. If it works when I test it, and nothing changes after, whats going to fail or break?

I've seen a nearly new factory glock magazine split at a firearm training class, less than 10 rounds fired at the class, had to be pried from the bottom of the firearm. You don't necessarily know how close it is to failure just because it has always worked and nothing appears to be wrong.

I carry 2 extra 12 or 13 round magazines, depending on magazine capacity. I'll bring a couple extra boxes of JHP with me on road trips.

I carry extra magazines for reliability of both magazine and ammunition and if necessary non emergency reloads and because 40 rounds makes me feel better than 13 :).

MrPeter
August 6, 2007, 04:54 PM
One of the criterion I use for selecting a carry piece is the mag capacity for exactly that reason. I don't carry a mag on me unless the gun I have on me is less than 10, in which case I don't carry it at all (save my kit gun, for which I have speedloaders of .357 JSP).
I do keep a full mag of .45ACP for my XD in my car. I figure I'll be trying to get away, and my car will likely be the escape vehicle, should I need it, so leaving a mag there seems logical to me.

So generally I carry 13+1 45ACP or 12+1 40S&W in a CZ.

DoubleTapDrew
August 6, 2007, 05:08 PM
I carry one round in the chamber and that's it. No magazine to fail! :D

No, occasionally I'll drop a spare mag into my pocket but I need to get a mag carrier for the belt and make a habbit of it because although I've never had a mag (one that I carry, anyway) fail Mr. Murphy may show up. Not to mention a horde of zombie ninja pirates.

1911 guy
August 6, 2007, 05:31 PM
He said:
The main reason to carry a reload is to clear a malfunction

Bingo! Statistically, you won't need your handgun. Statistically, most gunfights are over in less than six rounds. However, if you're needing a handgun, the statistics apperently aren't working for you that day.

I carry a pistol that has jammed (actually FTF) twice in tens of thousands of rounds, but if I'm having a really bad day, I'd better be ready to clear that third malf.

Condition Plaid
August 6, 2007, 05:43 PM
With my Kimber Compact CDP II I carry 7+1 in the gun and one extra 7rd mag.
With my J Frame 640 I carry 5 in the gun and a speedloader with an extra 5.

springmom
August 6, 2007, 05:44 PM
I carry two speedloaders when I carry my snubbie; two extra mags when I carry my Kimber.

Springmom

Sean85746
August 6, 2007, 06:57 PM
I always carry one spare magazine in a belt pouch. Not because I think I am going to be set upon by an army of zombies...but because the weight of the spare mag actually helps balance the weight of the pistol on the other side. MUCH easier on my old back.

AND...if my carry mag takes a dump on me...I have an immediate fix. Though I have only witnessed it one time, I saw the baseplate on my ex-partner's Smith & Wesson 5906 fly off while the gun was in his holster, and dump 15 perfectly good 9mm rounds onto the ground.

greg700
August 6, 2007, 07:17 PM
I usually toss an extra magazine in my pocket.

230RN
August 6, 2007, 08:11 PM
Seven + seven for both the .45 and .380. whichever I'm carrying.

Six for the Detective Special in an ankle holster + 10 extra if I'm carrying that.

I know 6 doesn't go into 10 evenly. I've tried cylindrical and tape-type speedloaders, don't like 'em.

What I do is pack 5 +p .38s in each of two empty Gillette razor packs and rubber-band 'em together.

The upper left set is two packs banded together.

Works for me. Nice and flat and compact. Advantages, to me, outweigh the disadvantages.

FYI .357s don't fit in the razor cartridge packs.

10 Ring Tao
August 6, 2007, 08:16 PM
^ Now thats improvisation.

I can't tell you how often I just find/make a solution for myself when one isn't readily available that fits my exact needs. I'd rather make it myself than deal with something that isn't ...just...right.

DMK
August 6, 2007, 08:16 PM
I carry an extra mag or a full speedloader depending on what gun I have. That would be 7 + 1 + 8 = 16 rounds for my CCO, 5 + 6 = 11 rounds for my S&W 642 or 7+1+7 = 15 rounds for my rarely carried Keltec P32.

If I'm on a road trip, I usually have two extra mags and a bigger gun. 10+1+10+10 = 31 rounds for my CZ40B or 15+1+15+15 = 46 rounds for my CZ75. (plus one of the above as a BUG.)

Don't forget, the mag is the most likely source of a malfunction in any semi-auto. It's wise to have a backup to the one in the gun. Of course, that's just one reason why i've really come to appreciate my little S&W wheelgun.

operator114
August 6, 2007, 08:40 PM
On Duty: 39rds +1 in the pipe of .40 S&W, and just in case of another '86 Miami type shootout, or a North Hollywood, another 26rds in my field bag in the OGV, for a potential total of 66rds of pistol ammo if it goes that far.

BTW, I'm from the school of thought that a pistol is good for fighting my way back to a rifle that I should have brought along in the first place.

Off-Duty: 30rds +1 in the pipe of .40 S&W, and for BUG, my version of a "nickel plated sissy gun", a NAA .22LR (5rds) with white pearlite grips in a pocket holster.

To keep the thread focused on "how many round do you carry." I won't get into the other tools of the trade.

230RN
August 6, 2007, 08:42 PM
10 Ring Tao, referring to post #55

^ Now thats improvisation.

I can't tell you how often I just find/make a solution for myself when one isn't readily available that fits my exact needs. I'd rather make it myself than deal with something that isn't ...just...right.

Now all I gotta do is con Gillette into packing six blades in a pack. :)

GRB
August 6, 2007, 08:48 PM
When I carry, I virtually always carry reloads. I try to carry 2 extra magazines for normal carry both when on and off duty, and more if I am on a dangerous assignment. I have already carried up to about 5 or 6 extra magazines of ammo with me.

All the best,
Glenn B

Eyesac
August 6, 2007, 08:49 PM
9+1 no spares. I don't think I'll ever need another mag, but, I've never been in a gun fight either.

230RN
August 6, 2007, 08:55 PM
duplicate post

James T Thomas
August 6, 2007, 09:42 PM
Four or five, six shooter reloads of weighty 44 mgn rounds. It does indeed counter balance the revolver weight from the other side.

Long ago, I made up my mind that if I had to carry some weighty object, then, I would just resolve to do so, and not contemplate the weight. Just accept that it is there, and walk on. So it is.

I like the do it yourself adaptation too. "Necessity is the 'mother' of invention."

Quite sensible of "shadowalker" to do the routine examination and verification of his equipment.

Those instructors of Adv. Tactical, etc. have the priceless knowledge of experience, Doc2005, any wise person will at least listen and reflect on what they have to say and give it the consideration it deserves. You're correct.

"Vast majority of self defense shootings," is statistical. The odds are random, that is, if you happen to be involved in a fantastic one hundred shootings during your lifetime, and ninetynine were two shot occurences, the "odds" for the onehundredth would not be effected / changed, either diminished or increased towards the one that requires multiple shots. It may occur at the first shootout, somewhere in between, or at the end. Your first shoot out of your sweet life may be the one facing multiple opponents and require enough ammo.
And for the statisticians who now conclude that "yea" if I'm facing multiple opponents then I'm dead anyway. I suppose you would be with that attitude.
Yes; should they simutaneously attack in coordination with each other, but no, if it is an evolving situation.

If you have "done your homework," make sure you do not place yourself in danger by assuming things that may not necessisarily so. Abstract math philosophy only forms inductive judgements, not certainties. Odds are OK, I suppose, when the wager is just plain old money. But when my life may be the risk, even the remote odds have to be weighed very closely.

"More likely to need a cell 'phone than a reload?" If you're out and about the town, certainly yes. If you are targeted by a criminal, even though all the odds were so much against that happening, then consider again. Most likely at that time would you need a cell 'phone or ammo? "My kingdom for ammo!"
Don't assume that you can escape a dangerous situation either. That assumptions is dangerous. You may have to fight until it is over.

I have come close to running out of ammo, and at that moment, the "burden" of carrying the weight, suddenly vanshed. No burden at all, it's my life saver.

If I'm going to bother to carry at all, I'm going to carry enough to be in the fight.

Double Naught Spy
August 6, 2007, 09:51 PM
At least one reload, usually two, for my primary, either 9mm or .45 acp depending on what I get to carry that day.

BRASSM
August 6, 2007, 09:56 PM
I normally carry a Browning HP with two extra magazines, giving me a total of 39 rounds. If I happen to carry a Revolver as my CCW I carry four extra speed loaders giving me a total of 30 rounds.

Redneck with a 40
August 6, 2007, 11:07 PM
I don't carry any reloads (spare magazines). I figure if 10+1 of 40 S&W won't solve the problem, then I'm pretty much screwed anyhow.

psmoharemoff@hotmail.com
August 7, 2007, 02:29 PM
Don't carry reloads but carry one mag.

RobMoore
August 7, 2007, 02:32 PM
Two spares for me. If anything it evens out the weight.

Kacerdias
August 7, 2007, 02:44 PM
The amount of ammo I have on me is directly correlated to which gun I'm carrying. And that is also directly correlated with how concealed I have to be that day:

1. Normal carry - Walther P99c 9mm (10+1) IWB w/ extra mag on belt (10) 21rds total

2. Deep carry aka "Why yes, I *am* happy to see you!" :D - Kahr PM40 (5+1) and extra extended mag (6) in Smartcarry 12oclock. 12 rds total

3. Uber deep carry aka "What, me armed?" :rolleyes: - S&W 637 .38+p (5) in pocket w/ an extra speedloader (5) 10rds total.

Loyalist Dave
August 7, 2007, 02:47 PM
I carry between one and two mags of 15 rds each as reload when I carry. If I was carrying my snubbie I'd carry at least two realoads. (Mags may fail, so extra mags may not be that many extra rounds.)

LD

Ragnar Danneskjold
August 7, 2007, 03:01 PM
James T Thomas:

You do bring up some very good points. But I think the "point of diminishing returns" is in full effect. It really does not take that much effort to carry a pistol as opposed to not. But you have just increased your odds by leaps and bounds. Now it doesn't take that much more effort to carry reloads either. But your not increasing your odds by any more than a minuscule amount. I'm going to use semi-arbitrary numbers here, but I think the point still stands. If I'm in a life-threatening mugging with no weapon, my odds are 0-5ish %. However, give me a pistol and my odds could jump up to 70% or even 80%. That's a big jump. Definately worht the effort. Add a reload and it goes up to maybe 72-82%. You get the idea.

One can never do "enough". You will never guaruntee your own success. Even if you could get away with wearing armor, a kevlar, carrying the automatic rifle of your choice, a pistol, and a few grenades for good measure. Not even full-battle-rattle is going to save you all the time. You have to ask yourself "how far is far enough" How prepared should I really be? What is reasonable? What is practical? For me, just having a pistol is a huge improvement. So I do. But I don't see carrying reloads of my person as getting the same amount of return for my effort. Dealing with the weight and awkwardness of a gun is worth it. But IMO, decking my belt out like Batman in preperation for a 1 in 10,000+ chance event is just not worth it. Now you could say "well don't you value your life enough to do whatever it takes??" I think having a gun at all is enough. If my first civilian gunfight is against multiple attackers and my mag fails at the same time, than oh well. I'm prepared to come to grips with that. If I am that scared of dying, I shouldn't even leave my house.

How many of you carry reloads but don't buckle your seatbelt? How many of you think it's ok to drive home from the bar after work a little "tipsy"? I can assure you that your reloads will not save your life from a car accident. And your far more likely to get in one of those, than a gunfight.

Jim K
August 7, 2007, 03:08 PM
A couple of years ago, one fellow bragged that he carried two large Glocks, two small Glocks, four spare magazines of each size, 200 rounds of ammo in boxes, plus two Bowie knives and a pair of nun-chuks.

I hope he was kidding, but with some folks, who knows? And, no I don't know how big he was or how he was able to move.

Jim

81k5guy
August 7, 2007, 04:25 PM
I carry 1 extra mag for my P345 plus the mag in the gun and 1 in the pipe.

Big Calhoun
August 7, 2007, 04:34 PM
Depends what's going on, where I'm going, what I'll be doing, yadda yadda yadda. Generally, I at least carry capacity+1. When I carry the Kimber, I usually also carry two extra magazines. When taking a long roadtrip, I tend to keep at least one extra magazine in the glove box, no matter which gun gets taken.

Tin Gizel
August 7, 2007, 04:43 PM
i'm with some of the others. I usually carry 1 spare mag just to help even the weight distribution on the belt.

Jdude
August 7, 2007, 05:10 PM
Like the character in a video game, i carry a dozen firearms and 14 thousand rounds of various ammo in my back pocket.

Here in the real world, I am waiting on my ccw. When I get it, I will carry 14 rds in, and a spare mag with 14 rds ready.

230RN
August 7, 2007, 06:00 PM
Jim Keenan remembered:
A couple of years ago, one fellow bragged that he carried two large Glocks, two small Glocks, four spare magazines of each size, 200 rounds of ammo in boxes, plus two Bowie knives and a pair of nun-chuks. I hope he was kidding, but with some folks, who knows? And, no I don't know how big he was or how he was able to move.

It was in a wheelbarrow, of course, of course.

Yakko
August 7, 2007, 06:37 PM
If I'm in civilization and am carrying concealed - I carry one spare magazine.

If I'm outside of civilization I carry at least two spare magazines.

AlaskaErik
August 7, 2007, 07:04 PM
I carry 13 rounds in my Glock 23 and a spare mag with 13 rounds. That should be way more then I'll ever need.

JKimball
August 7, 2007, 07:22 PM
I usually carry a Kel-tec P3AT 6+1 or a CZ P-01 with 14 rds in it. I don't carry a spare mag for either. And yes, I do have more piece of mind when I'm carrying the P-01, but I'm new at this and occasionally go out with neither, so I feel the .380 is an improvement over carrying nothing at all.

Well-Armed Lamb
August 7, 2007, 09:05 PM
I carry a spare magazine for my Glock 30. Sometimes I carry a J-frame (638) as a back-up, but usually the J-frame is my "drop into the coat pocket on the way to 7-11" gun.

Zach S
August 7, 2007, 09:11 PM
Always at least one spare on my body, normally two more in the glovebox. Carry gun is a 5" 1911.

Car gun is a G19, with two G17 mags in the console.

MrFabulous
August 7, 2007, 10:54 PM
I rarely carry extra ammo. Even with my 5 shot J-frame I don't.

Anyone know of a documented self-defense situation (non-LEO) where a reload was actually utilized?

Mandirigma
August 7, 2007, 11:20 PM
25 rounds. Just worked out that way for both my ccw's

1911 8+1, +2 reloads @ 8rds
G33 9+1, +1 reload @15rds

Incidentally, I also keep 2 mags for the 1911 and 2 mags for the Glock in each of my vehicles.

Yeah yeah I know all about the statistics, unfortunately I also know a guy named Murphy. Experience has proven that when Murphy shows up, its already been a statistically poor day.

Trempel
August 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
I know what the odds are. The odds are that none of us will ever fire a round in anger. But I don't care much about the odds. If you ever have to draw your weapon in defense, you've already beaten the odds. It's the stakes that matter.

If you inadvertently drop your magazine or just plain run out of ammo during the struggle for your very life, the few ounces you're NOT carrying due to convenience will seem like several tons.

When I can, I carry a G19 with 16 rounds in it and at least a single 15-round magazine for a reload. Sometimes, it's accompanied by a S&W 442 for backup.

When the occasion calls for clothing not as conducive to concealability, I carry an East German Makarov, loaded with 9 rounds and at least one 8-round reload. Usually two.

When I can carry only the smallest of my firearms, I tote around a S&W 442 by itself with a speedstrip as a reload.

Trempel
August 12, 2007, 12:55 PM
Anyone know of a documented self-defense situation (non-LEO) where a reload was actually utilized?
MrFabulous, read up on a guy by the name of Lance Thomas. Watch shop owner with several gunfights under his belt. On one occassion, when facing 5 assailants, he fired off 19 rounds, out of 3 guns.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_156_26/ai_82533205

There have been other instances when people's guns ran dry, jammed or where taken away by the assailants and they used BUGs or reloaded.

lehmanM7
August 12, 2007, 01:09 PM
usually a full clip and then maybe another 4 or 5 rounds with my 10/22 ruger

If you enjoyed reading about "How much ammo do you carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!