Levels of Education

PDA

bogie
July 2, 2003, 11:45 AM
You know the stereotypes... According to the oh-so-educated folks in places like Taxacusetts, etc., we're all a bunch of knuckle-draggers who, while we're not sitting on the front porch throwing empty PBR cans at passing joggers, ride around in windowless pickup trucks shooting at harmless motorcyclists...

So... How much education do we have here...

If you enjoyed reading about "Levels of Education" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MicroBalrog
July 2, 2003, 11:52 AM
Graduated from highschool a week ago. With distinction. I'm the best pupil they had in 2 years.

No4Mk1
July 2, 2003, 12:02 PM
I fit the stereotype perfectly.... ;)

Ivy league master's educated, professional, christian, heterosexual, happily married, father of two, redneck, gun-toting, right-wing extremist....

And darn proud of it!!!! :D:D:D:D

para.2
July 2, 2003, 12:05 PM
"In college", I guess. Have enough credits for two bachelor's ( Philosophy, Poli Sci) But the "liberal arts" ( fine arts, sciences) are lacking to actually get a degree. Been working on that since '81, so mebbe I'm a lost cause.:rolleyes:

Chupacabra
July 2, 2003, 12:08 PM
College Education. Majored in Theater Arts.

jade
July 2, 2003, 12:16 PM
i'm almost done with my bachelor's degree. i might actually be done. i haven't checked lately. there were some other classes i wanted to take before i graduated.

Stoker
July 2, 2003, 12:17 PM
UK bachelor's degree and two UK accountancy qualifications - which I am told equate to master's level.

I write training material for accountants at that level and for a UK distance learning MBA.

I think there's a bit of redneck in me ...

Justin
July 2, 2003, 12:27 PM
BS in Computer Graphics Technology with a concentration in Spatial Graphics and 3d Animation.

Note the first two letters of the above sentence.

dude
July 2, 2003, 12:30 PM
proud college drop-out here

..............quit after 2 years of mechanicial enginnering and joind the Army to become an aircraft mechanic

If I told y'all how much I make while having 1/2 the year off I'd be banned!

Greg L
July 2, 2003, 12:38 PM
How about a catagory for those of us who left college because we started making too much money to continue to pay for tuition to listen to theories that had nothing to do with what was going on in the real world. Nah nevermind, too long to fit on a line :D .

Greg

Ledbetter
July 2, 2003, 12:41 PM
Educated enough to be dangerous.

El Tejon
July 2, 2003, 12:46 PM
Darn it, I thought this was about gun skul.:mad:

Kharn
July 2, 2003, 12:47 PM
One year away from getting my bachelors in Chemical Engineering.

Kharn

bogie
July 2, 2003, 12:47 PM
Hey, moderators - Howzabout inserting "Military Education" in the poll?

telomerase
July 2, 2003, 12:51 PM
Greg is right on target. I got my bachelor's in Molecular Biology, and now I'm a starving research assistant/ writer. If only I'd dropped out and run away from home at 16 and stolen CP/M before Gates did. Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Larry Ellison... they knew the secret. If you value your life, read the following article. Then go on to be an uneducated success like Greg instead of a despondent, degreed loser like me:

http://www.satirewire.com/news/0006/satire-ellison.shtml

Pappy John
July 2, 2003, 01:13 PM
Not all that much here I'm afraid. I was so bored in high school that the thought of 4 more years of drivel kept me from going to college even on a full ride scholarship. Associate in electronics in '79. Worked well enough to get me all the toys and travel that I really wanted.:D And keeps the family in clothes, eats, and comfortably under roof. That IS the point isn't it?:cool:

CZ-75
July 2, 2003, 01:15 PM
Hey, moderators - Howzabout inserting "Military Education" in the poll?

Don't ya think "tech" or "working on college" would cover this, depending on the coursework offered? Military education isn't necessarily accredited in its own right and would skew the statistics. Obviously, those who completed higher ed through the military should just put down their degree level.

NavyDoc
July 2, 2003, 01:22 PM
Just to point out that both Doctors and Lawyers have "doctorates", one is a medical doctorate and one a Juris doctorate; PhD is a doctorate in philosophy (in whatever field)- otherwise known a "Piled Higher and Deeper".
But they're all doctorate degrees.
C-

Sportcat
July 2, 2003, 01:41 PM
B.A.
M.A.
M.Ed.

And the kids I see coming through the technical (community) college I work for are graduating and getting jobs paying MUCH more than me. More power to them!

4v50 Gary
July 2, 2003, 01:48 PM
I've got about 300 college units and on top of that, paper to show for it. However, you'd never guess that I went to school because the only paper on my walls are art prints of ships & airplanes. I suppose I could add some letters behind my name, but my pop taught me better. Of three men walking down the street, any two of them can be my teacher.

CZ-75
July 2, 2003, 01:49 PM
Just to point out that both Doctors and Lawyers have "doctorates", one is a medical doctorate and one a Juris doctorate; PhD is a doctorate in philosophy (in whatever field)- otherwise known a "Piled Higher and Deeper".

Don't forget Pharm.D.

Still not all these doctoral degrees are equal. Pharm.D is a 5 year program, usually, right out of HS. The other doctorates, save J.D., are often 4 years or more and all require a bachelor's as prerequisite. J.D. is three years and not, IIRC, the terminal degree in law, which I've seen billed a LL.M or some such.

chaim
July 2, 2003, 01:51 PM
Right now I only have a Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a few extra credits beyond what is needed to graduate (not much extra, 7 to be exact plus several education courses that I audited instead of taking for credit). I start a graduate level certificate in "Professional Counseling" in just under a week (if I keep on with the same school for my masters all but one course will transfer directly into the program and one is only an elective). After that I hope to start in a Psy.D. (Doctor of Psychology) or Ph.D. program in Clinical or Counseling Psychology in fall 04 and barring that I'll do a decent Clinical Psych MA program first (and then go into the doctorate).

So long answer to a short question: Bachelor's degree only but soon I'll have more.

Chipperman
July 2, 2003, 01:53 PM
V.M.D. from Ivy League School

Should have stopped with the B.S.
Vet School loans are a pain in the backside

Hkmp5sd
July 2, 2003, 01:57 PM
I must be a distant relative of 4v50 Gary. I have attended all kinds of classes over the years (and the list is still growing), college, trade, military, etc. and have a wide assortment of credit hours. Just can't bring myself to do those "required" courses to get the degrees.

My wish is to win the lottery so I can in fact become a professional student.

Skofnung
July 2, 2003, 02:04 PM
I have a Bachelor's degree in History. I just graduated last December. I planned on going for a masters in the same, but I decided not to once I realized that it would be a waste of time and money.

I am now considering law school, a career in journalism, or going down to the VoTech and getting formal training as a carpenter. I have always loved wood work.

College degrees are so de-valued these days, it is sad...

I work in the University Library at present, and to see some of the "thinkers" that come in here it is easy to see why.

Ledbetter
July 2, 2003, 02:07 PM
Pappy John said "Worked well enough to get me all the toys and travel that I really wanted. And keeps the family in clothes, eats, and comfortably under roof. That IS the point isn't it?"

Sounds like the most educated one here to me. ;)

Sean Smith
July 2, 2003, 02:07 PM
B.S. in Nuclear Engineering from West Point, also majored in European History on the side. :cool:

Tamara
July 2, 2003, 02:17 PM
Ah'm yer tipikal gun owner. All's ah have is a hah school diploema.

(Ah'm assumin the collij credit corses ah took in the summer between mah sevinth and aith graid yeers at Dook Yooniversitee dont' cownt?)

bogie
July 2, 2003, 02:20 PM
Ahh... Tamara, I see where you got your mellow and laid back personality...

My sister went to Duke...

4v50 Gary
July 2, 2003, 02:36 PM
Speaking of law degrees,

LLB = was the original degree title and it was changed to JD, juris doctorate
LLM = masters in law (& higher than the JD)
JSD = Juris Science Doctorate

Presently UCSF (the med college) isn't giving PharmD anymo'. I know one guy who teaches there and he told me a few years back they lowered it to a Masters in Pharmacology.

It's all alphabet soup and the only thing that really counts is the smartz upstairs and that doesn't necessarily come w/education. I recall a PhD who use to drop her 11 year old kid off at museums/zoos cuz she was too cheap to pay for a babysitter and wanted to do her pyscho-babble @ home w/out the kiddie bothering her. She felt it was perfectly safe to leave him in a public place alone and unsupervised. :rolleyes: I threatened to take said kiddie to YGC (youth guidence center) for his own safekeeping. She was unhappy w/my intonation and wanting respect, wanted me to address her as Dr. .... I said I would if she call me Dr. too. She agreed but I still called her by her first name. She had to break off her appt to retrieve her kiddie.

Mike Irwin
July 2, 2003, 02:53 PM
BA in History, with a concentration in 20th century American history.

Minor in History of Fine Arts.

Skunkabilly
July 2, 2003, 03:04 PM
I have a BA. $23000 later and all I got was Gray Davis' autograph :barf:

Kentucky Rifle
July 2, 2003, 03:14 PM
Biology and psychology (with an emphasis on drugs and behavior). Did me SOOO much good.:rolleyes: They just hang on the wall of the new bar I'm building in my basement.

KR

blades67
July 2, 2003, 03:20 PM
I have credits in Psychology, Fire Science, Nursing, Accounting, Mechanical Engineering and Law. I haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up.:D

ShaiVong
July 2, 2003, 03:22 PM
A.A.S (Associates in Applied Science) from a Tech school, moving straight into two more years at UMaine to get my B.S. in Electrical Engineering.

Also got a 21 year-lump degree from the school of hard knocks.

Cosmoline
July 2, 2003, 03:38 PM
IIRC, the traditional academic hierarchy places the Ph.D. at the very top of the heap. That's why they get to wear the wild robes, while the J.D's, M.D.'s and so on get rather plain regalia. I believe this is a part of our English heritage. I think the Europeans follow a different system, where even lawyers are called "Herr Doctor"

Skunkabilly
July 2, 2003, 03:39 PM
Biology and psychology (with an emphasis on drugs and behavior). Did me SOOO much good. They just hang on the wall of the new bar I'm building in my basement.

Funny you say that. My diploma is in a file box with my receipts and bills, and my shooting trophies are on the wall.

Seminole
July 2, 2003, 03:46 PM
I'm another one of those poorly paid Ph.D.'s teaching college. Of course, anyone who gets a Ph.D. in order to make good money is terminally stupid (though I do have some friends who work in industry who do QUITE nicely. . . .

As has been stated before, multiple degrees are no guarantee of an education!

TheEgg
July 2, 2003, 04:03 PM
Got my B.A. at 20, my M.S. at 21, and Ph.D. at 23. Was a mainline academic junky, went straight from the Graduation line to teaching in University. Then over the next 17 years, realized most of it was BS, and since then have done what I wanted to do (shoot guns, tinker with computers and all sorts of electronic gadgets, read books, cook very good BBQ). Now wish I had not spent so many years in the academic zoo.

It takes some of us longer to get our priorities straight!:D

Zach S
July 2, 2003, 04:10 PM
I picked High School, since I didnt see a G.E.D. option. And please, dont lecture me on dropping out.

mephisto
July 2, 2003, 04:12 PM
I have a cousin who has been in school for 16 years. He has, I think, 5 degrees in whatever. But he just loves school. He has loans up the bum that he will have to pay back sometime. But he has absolutely no common sense. I have a degree in Landscape architecture but I don’t have any use for it in my currant job (lab manager).

Larry Ashcraft
July 2, 2003, 04:27 PM
Five years of college (1967-1972) majoring in English, no degree. (Hey, it was a long war!) Actually considered the military as a career, but the timing was all wrong.

Ended up as a business owner selling awards for the last 33 years, go figure.

iamkris
July 2, 2003, 04:36 PM
MBA
MS in Aeronautical Eng
BS in Mechanical Eng

Run a marketing team for a cellphone manufacturer

Typical drooling, neandrathal gun-owner...

Seminole
July 2, 2003, 04:40 PM
Cosmoline:
IIRC, the traditional academic hierarchy places the Ph.D. at the very top of the heap. That's why they get to wear the wild robes, while the J.D's, M.D.'s and so on get rather plain regalia. I believe this is a part of our English heritage. I think the Europeans follow a different system, where even lawyers are called "Herr Doctor"

Actually, the rules and traditions of academic regalia are quite fascinating and date back to the Middle Ages. Generally speaking, there is no difference in gowns among Ph.D.s, M.D.s, J.D.s, etc. It is the color of the velvet trim along the edge of the hood and under the neck and (in the case of some doctoral degrees, the color of the three bars on the sleeve) that communicate the respective field of study of the wearer. For example, law is purple; philosophy is dark blue; science is golden yellow; theology is scarlet; arts, letters, and humanities are white; etc.

The differences between the width of hood and how much of the hood's lining is exposed, the shape of the sleeves, and whether the robe is worn closed or open are all dictated by whether the wearer holds a Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctoral degree. The (sometimes quite garish) color(s) of the robes themselves and shape of the hat (mortarboard, tam, etc.) are distinctive to the institution from which the wearer graduated. The colors of the lining of the hood depend on the institution from which the wearer graduated. Black gowns and mortarboards are the standard, but there is a board (somewhere made up of I don't know who) that authorizes the use of other designs by colleges and universities that wish their alumni to wear distinctive apparel.

I know, I've told you way more than you wanted to know about any of this. But it is an interesting tradition (at least to me) and one in which many people participate at some time in their life even if they don't know all the details.

In terms of prestige, technically, yes--the Ph.D. is at the top of the academic heap, with the so-called "professional" degrees (Doctor of Medicine, Juris Doctor, Doctor of Ministry, etc. owing their relatively less prestigious positions to the fact that they are not earned through the production of a dissertation detailing a significant amount of independent scholarly research.

You are quite right that Europeans tend to be much more formal regarding the use of titles than are Americans. Conversely, the title of "Doctor" is not as prestigious in Europe as it is in the U.S. Because positions as university professors are even more difficult to get there than here, the title "Professor" is accorded much more prestige than a mere "Doktor." I am fortunately not familiar with the proper use of titles in the German court system, but I do know that one would properly address a professor in Germany as "Herr Doktor Professor."

Navy joe
July 2, 2003, 04:45 PM
High school, a little college, military school of life. When I left H.S. I had about a year of college credits, never used. I now have nearly two years equivalent credit now from military schools waiting to be applied to a degree. Despite my lack of education I make about 34K a year which is a lot for a dumb kuntry boy I figger. So much for the military being underpaid.

The most common mistake I see is that many, usually the ones who stereotype us gun owners, equate education with intelligence level and knowledge. There isn't much of a correlation. I enjoy being underestimated by these types.

P95Carry
July 2, 2003, 05:04 PM
UK degree .... started that aged 47!!!:p . B.Eng (Hons) Systems. Was previously qualified in medical field but gave it up in '74. Am thinking these days, I want to be at least semi-retired!!

'Edumification' does not have IMO any direct and automatic correlation with ''intelligence'', per se ..... I know damn well I can be a thick as a length of pressure treated 2 by 6 !!!:D :D

Mind you, my IQ came out at around 168 or something IIRC ... all that proved to me was that I was good at symbol recognition!! I've met loads of guys supposedly ''unqualified'' ..... way smarter than me in their field ..... ''savvy'' has a lot to do with things.

dairycreek
July 2, 2003, 05:48 PM
B.S., M.S., & Ph.D. and am retired. The best "degree" of all.

M.S from Oregon State. The Beavers!

Ph. D. from the University of Oregon. The Ducks!

Part Beaver and Part Duck? I'm a fighting Platypus! Good shooting;)

T.Stahl
July 2, 2003, 06:01 PM
Civilian: Graduate of the university of Stuttgart, aeronautical and astronautical engineering. What's Dipl.-Ing. in Englisch? :confused:
Military: mechanic for wheeled unarmored/armored vehicles. Anyone have a Unimog in need of new brake pads? ;) Now also a reserve sergeant in the light infantry.

Ledbetter
July 2, 2003, 06:04 PM
Where're you going? Can you tell or is it secret?

Zackmeister
July 2, 2003, 06:11 PM
Transferring to Southwest Texas State from Southwestern University. I think I want to be a computer engineer so I will probably have to switch again next year...

Archie
July 2, 2003, 06:15 PM
I have High School diploma from Benson Polytechnic School in Portland, Oregon (the nation's finest technical school.)

I have an Associate's degree in Law Enforcement and an accidental degree in Social Sciences from a California junior college.

I'm a journeyman locksmith.

I'm an ordained Southern Baptist preacher. I guess the proper term is minister.....

I'm a Federal lawman.

I own my own home, with assistance from the bank.

Mom likes me, too.

T.Stahl
July 2, 2003, 06:17 PM
Ledbetter, I'll go back to Stuttgart again.
Anyone have a two to three room flat for 500€ (cold) to 600€ (warm) to rent in the vicinity of Untertürkheim or Esslingen?

CZ-75
July 2, 2003, 06:22 PM
What's Dipl.-Ing. in Englisch?

Is that the entry level degree in your field?

From what i know of the German educational system, it would probably be equivalent to an MS here.

Tharg
July 2, 2003, 06:26 PM
Just high school - altho i did spend 6 years in the Navy w/ an advance electronics rate... (CTM) Couldn't vote for high school and military tho - so i put high school :p

I'm what they call dangerous - i like guns a lot! <rofl> Altho i don't guess it helps that most of my family works for the postal service...:evil:

heh

J/Tharg!

Skunkabilly
July 2, 2003, 06:31 PM
Because positions as university professors are even more difficult to get there than here, the title "Professor" is accorded much more prestige than a mere "Doktor."

Although I never considered myself to have a problem with authority, half the time I said 'professor', I was spitting :D

No offense to Gus' father :uhoh:

Has Academia always been the zoo that it is now?

Boats
July 2, 2003, 06:36 PM
Naval Veteran 1985-89

Veteran of 7-11, 1989-91 (Got me really interested in self-defense issues). :)

B.A. in Political Science, Portland State University 1996 (Do 'Dat Chief Moose seems to be our most famous alum.:rolleyes: )

JD University of Oregon, 1999. Practicing attorney. The other gunowner in my household is my wife, the awardee of a B.S. in Nursing from the University of Nebraska.

2000-2001 was the only year so far we have gotten to talk college football on equal terms.:D

Carlos Cabeza
July 2, 2003, 06:40 PM
Associates in electrical engineering
Also, licensed HVAC contractor.
work for printed circuit board manufacturer as Facilities and Maintenance manager 10 years.

The job is OK, although I have been seriously considering a career change.

Chris Rhines
July 2, 2003, 06:43 PM
A couple credits short of a BS in Electrical Engineering Tech. I'll finish someday. Maybe.

Working as an audio-video engineer for a firm that designs and builds museum exhibits.

- Chris

T.Stahl
July 2, 2003, 06:48 PM
CZ-75,
Dipl.-Ing. (diplomaed engineer) is the degree you get when you successfully complete your studies of engineering sciences at a university and what you'd need before you can confer a doctorate (to become a Dr.-Ing. or doctor of engineering sciences).

winstonsmith
July 2, 2003, 06:57 PM
I dun finished my first yeer of hi skuul.

Stands to reason. I turn 15 in 18 days.

My plan is to go to college, join the military, then become a cop. It's civil service for me.

Soap
July 2, 2003, 07:09 PM
I'm currently at Purdue University majoring in Management with minors in Finance and Econ. I work for a bank plus an investment firm. 60+ hours per week baby! Yes, I despise pikers; like the people that sleep in their cars on Main Street right El Tejon? I plan on moving into investment banking for a place like Goldman Sachs, CSFB, Solomon Smith, etc. My short term goals are to get good career-building employment, take the LSATs and GMATs and see what opportunites I can find.

cool45auto
July 2, 2003, 07:30 PM
I'm a High School graduate.

alan
July 2, 2003, 07:41 PM
High school graduate, plus about 4 years of college (evenings) plus some "technical" training. Former Piping Designer/Checker/Field Engineer, Construction Supervisor, nowadays retired, at least till the right phone call comes along.

St. Gunner
July 2, 2003, 07:49 PM
Walked the stage May 10th, with an English Degree, have apps in at the fire department and Border Patrol, soon the SAPD. It took me about 11yrs to finish but I got sidetracked, married, kid, hunting, fishing, shooting....

If you ever want to be brutalized by the education system, attend a University that prides itself on hiring Berkley Grads and then be a gun owning heterosexual male that is not only proud of those two things, but will tell you he is.:D I already miss that socialist cesspool, I haven't had a good debate in almost a month and a half.:D

Check out the attached pic, it is my cap. :evil: :D

Seminole
July 2, 2003, 07:54 PM
Skunkabilly:
Although I never considered myself to have a problem with authority, half the time I said 'professor', I was spitting

No offense to Gus' father

Has Academia always been the zoo that it is now?

Yeah, I did my share of spitting similar things during the years I was a student. Come to think of it, my students probably do also. . . .

As to your question, things in California are usually worse than the rest of the country, aren't they? ;) Having acknowleged that, academia is a distinct subculture and it does take some getting used to. No kidding, though, the school where I teach is right across the street from the city zoo. A number of years ago (before I began teaching here) some monkeys escaped from their cages and spent a number of entertaining hours cavorting around the campus before they were recaptured. I'm told that this is the source of the school's nickname--"Zoo U." (though in fact it is a small liberal arts college and not a university, but there is not really a way to rhyme that cleverly!). :evil:

BowStreetRunner
July 2, 2003, 08:03 PM
BS in criminal justice here....from the THE NUMBER ONE Service Learning Institution in America, The Defiance College (sorry thats my only opportunity to brag since no one knows where my school is)....just gradumacated
starting law school in the fall
wohoo!
three more years of fun!
:rolleyes:
BSR

standingbear
July 2, 2003, 08:24 PM
got my degree in criminal justice,minored in psychology.tried the police thing.just didnt like the things i saw.gave it up and got married,started a family and been at the same factory since then.

PlayTheAces
July 2, 2003, 08:32 PM
B.S. in Business Admin. with a management major - C.S.U.L.B.

The wife is working on her MS - that's way way past my pain threshold.

brookstexas
July 2, 2003, 08:40 PM
when it comes to breaking stereotypes, but are you a vegetarian gun owner isn't?:confused:

Standing Wolf
July 2, 2003, 09:04 PM
Oh, gosh! I guess we sure are a bunch of knuckle-draggers, aren't we?

sm
July 2, 2003, 09:07 PM
I didn't attend my HS graduation back in '73. I think I picked up the pc of paper some months later. Since then pcs of paper from all sorts of stuff, related to a former life I was in, "business" related, and things I just wanted to learn for my benefit, some paper picked up, some mailed, I think I chunked them. Been playing college when I could rack up the funds, core stuff has been finished for awhile, just taking subjects I wanted to learn about. I probably have enough credits to have something, I faintly recall I do, I never picked it up either. Currently attending another college, playing with CIS/IT...not for a pc of paper, because I just want to learn.

Just a continuing student of the School of Hard Knocks. Pc of paper--don't need one for knowing I can do something. refuse to grow up, and the older I get -the more I realize what I don't know.

michiganfan
July 2, 2003, 09:15 PM
BA from the University of Michigan . Started the same year as Bo became head coach. My viens have been pumping Maize and Blue blood since then. Though the older I get the quicker I recover from losing the big game. Got a Juris Doctor from University of Toledo. And the greatest joy I get out of life besides my wonderful wife and daughter is buying a new gun and taking it to the range. Its like Christmas when you were a kid.

m.i.sanders
July 2, 2003, 09:17 PM
I managed around 4 years of college; pre-med, business, psych minor, about three semesters of Electrontics at a tech school, etc. Never did manage to get a degree. :rolleyes:

I somehow managed to end up as the Network/Server Admin manager and network security person for Denny's.

hops
July 2, 2003, 09:44 PM
B.A. in Political Science plus the A.A. degree I gathered along the way.

Harrison
July 2, 2003, 10:28 PM
Newbie here......

The technical education I received in the Navy's nuclear program feeds me. The B.A in History that came later in life was just for fun.

H

Spieler
July 2, 2003, 10:40 PM
BA in Foreign Affairs and of course all of that good army training sir!..neither of which is relevent to my current position doing weight and balance for the airlines.

Ala Dan
July 3, 2003, 01:00 AM
PhD in BS!:D :uhoh:

Truthfully, one year of college is all I could stand~

The ARMY taught me more than any schoolhouse
dictator!:banghead: :rolleyes:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Minute_Of_Torso
July 3, 2003, 01:09 AM
Military: Navy Nuclear Power Program (10 years)
Civilian: Doctor of Ministry in Apologetics (D.Min.)

Hardest School: my dad (WWII vet, product of the Depression)

Fatcat
July 3, 2003, 01:25 AM
Just graduated HS a month ago - headed to Oregon State this fall to major in Mechanical Engineering and hopefully minor in Criminal Justice.

Either that or I'll enlist for the Marines at the last moment.. the thought's been crossing my mind.. :eek:

Flashpoint
July 3, 2003, 01:28 AM
Working on first degree. I started school about 6 years ago, dropped out shortly after getting married and worked to put my wife through school. She is know a Speech Pathologist and has started he own private practice. I have started back to school and have started working on a Multi-media and design degree. It's a blend of RTV, Graphic art, and Journalism. The degree would be nice but I am really doing it for the experience so I can someday start my own business. Right know I take care of my two boys Caleb (4.5) and Jace (2.5), help my wife with her business, and go to school.

556A2
July 3, 2003, 02:46 AM
Currently in Com. College, transferring to East Carolina University next year to continue my studies in Psychology.

MarkDido
July 3, 2003, 03:16 AM
Uncle Sam's College of Seagoing Knowledge 1973-1995
AA - Liberal Studies 1982
AS - Criminal Justice 2000
AS - Crime Scene Technology 2002

Can I count my 3 "Twos" as a graduate degree?

Funny thing about the last two.....

After I retired from Uncle Sugar's Canoe Club in 1995, I found that 23 years experience as a Parachute Rigger would have gotten me an apprentice position at the local McDonald's fry station.

So I wound up becoming an over-the-road truck driver for 5 years.

Momma got tired of me spending 280 - 300 days a year on the road so one day she says... "why don't you come off the road and use your GI Bill to go to college full time?"

Hmmmm... 300 days a year away from home, driving in rain, snow and other genrally unfriendly weather, trying not to get killed by morons in 4-wheelers, hanging around truck-drivers and eating truck stop food...

OR

Going to college in Florida with nubile little 18 year old girls in shorts and skimpy little shirts.....

Took me about a nanosecond to make the decision!

Moparmike
July 3, 2003, 09:05 AM
High School, and 2 yrs (~40 credit hours) taken, still going. Was Computer Engineering (Calculus Sucks!), now Computer Information Systems. Also note the position I hold in my signature. I am also a Lab operator in Computing Services, here at the Fascist University of Parking & Transit, University of Arkansas. UofA is located in the PRF (Peoples Republic of Fayetteville), or Fayettenam.

However, the sorority chicks make the UofA quite worthwhile:D.

Mil Novecientos Once
July 3, 2003, 09:30 AM
BA English, minor in Education
MD Translation
MD Education

WhoKnowsWho
July 3, 2003, 10:28 AM
You didn't have an option for "Some College", studied Computer Science, so I marked High School...

10-Ring
July 3, 2003, 10:58 AM
I knew this was a knowledgable bunch, but now I know it's an intelligent one too! ;)

St. Gunner
July 3, 2003, 11:30 AM
FatCat

Either that or I'll enlist for the Marines at the last moment.. the thought's been crossing my mind..

Some may bust my chops for this, but if you really think that is what you want, do it. I let my family talk me out of it about 11yrs ago and I headed off to college. It has been a mistake that has bothered me since, I would never trade my wife and kid for it today, or my education, but it has been a raw spot in my stomach since. I've spent the last few years trying to find a replacement for not doing something for my country then. Everytime a war errupts or a police action you will be asking yourself, "Could I have hacked it?" and saying, "I should be there.". I'm sure a few others here did the same thing, regret is a pain to live with. My wifes threatening to leave me is all that kept me from signing up after 9-11-01.

I don't know how bad you want it, but if it is already burning in the pit of your stomach, don't let it fester their for the rest of your life.

JohnBT
July 3, 2003, 11:32 AM
BS - physics/psychology
MS - rehabilitation counseling

John
Virginia Tech, Class of '72

Bottom Gun
July 3, 2003, 11:48 AM
High school was the toughest 30 years of my life. . . . . .

ShaiVong
July 3, 2003, 03:31 PM
"I've been going to this highschool for ten years; I'm no dummy."

:D

Pebcac
July 3, 2003, 03:39 PM
I graduated high school and dorked around in college for two years. I quit for a while to work in the technical arena, and I'm back in school to finish a degree in a field that will deliver unto me a pay cut. Oh, well - gotta be happy with what you're doing!

makdaddy03
July 3, 2003, 03:41 PM
High school drop out. Now I have to work for a living.:banghead:

W Turner
July 3, 2003, 04:26 PM
BS, double majored in Criminal Justice and Sociology and work in a adolescent treatment program ........considering getting my MSW or a master's in counseling.
I like what I do now though, and getting the master's would lead to me changing positions within my company, but would also result in a $5-7,000 a year raise. Probably will go back eventually. Funny thing is a few years ago I thought I would be in a poice cruiser for a local agency....hmmm, interesting.

ysr_racer
July 3, 2003, 04:39 PM
I got an STD when I went to ASU :)

Shootist45
July 3, 2003, 05:01 PM
I guess I'm in here with most others. I have:

AS--criminal justice, '74
BS--Psychology, '76
Tech training--A+, NET+, '01

Was working on more networking when the school closed and left
more than a few of us with $20,000+ school loans to pay.:fire::barf:

Now, my wife and I are managing a self storage facility and couldn't
be happier. The kids are on their own and we can now start getting
some of the bills paid!!:what:

To the young man who was considering the military: go for it, you
won't know 'til you try.

Tamara
July 3, 2003, 06:07 PM
Heh. Better Off Dead; great flick! :D

OEF_VET
July 3, 2003, 06:29 PM
8 years military experience

currently enrolled in local community college for Associates in Culinary Arts (actually, Oleg apparently teaches part time at my school)

Frank

TaxPhd
July 3, 2003, 06:42 PM
BA, MS, PhD. All in Accounting/Tax.

I don't do the title thing. When someone in my classes calls me Dr. or Professor, I politely correct them with, "It's just Scott."

Scott

ShaiVong
July 3, 2003, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I've always wanted to join the core myself.

I'll actually be the first male in my family to not be in the military.

My Grandfather was in Okinawa during WWII, and my dad a Navy SEAL during Vietnam.

If I wasnt shackled with a wife, I might just go. Heck, I might just go anway :rolleyes: .

Her: Where are you going!!

Me: Uh, nowhere honey, just to pick up some groceries..

Her: Well HURRY BACK!

:evil:

Stetson_CO
July 3, 2003, 09:17 PM
Many, many Navy schools(BEE, DET, STG, MK114 FCS and then some) and an AAS in Network/Systems Administration. Doing me no good right now, they are sending my job to Singapore. :uhoh:

May be moving, depends on where the FBI send my G/F. She has the options of Houston(this is where Im from originally), Memphis, Atlanta, Phoenix or Denver....we cant decide.....

c):{

boltaction
July 3, 2003, 09:46 PM
Yeah, well, I'm brand spankin' new around here. I don't usually post on websites, but THR seems to be an exceptional site with exceptional people. So, here I am.

My education: PhD; my BS was in Chemistry and Geology.

Been in Academics now for 20+ years, and I have the only NRA sticker in my parking garage; and don't let anyone tell you that universities are NOT packed with leftists.

My research experience is broad, and involves earth science applications of chemistry (esp. thermodynamics), physics, mathematics, as well as some evolutionary biology and microbiology. But what I really love are my Taurus .454 Casull, Glock 23, FM Hi-power (9 mm), Taurus .357 Magnum, Moss500 (esp w/ the 18.5 incher) .30-06, and last but not least, my M-N M91 and M44 (gotta love that muzzle flash). Oh yeah, the geek side of me is partial to internal, external, and terminal ballistics. BTW, the last two firearms in my list are the origin of the name:

boltaction

chaim
July 3, 2003, 11:57 PM
boltaction,

Where do you teach and where do you shoot?

MarkDido
July 4, 2003, 12:11 AM
Boltaction,

I am a newbie here as well, and I agree with you. The people that frequent this board anr some of the nicest and most helpful I have ever met in an online communnity.

Almost like getting together with a bunch of friends on the front porch.

Welcome aboard!

P95Carry
July 4, 2003, 12:29 PM
Welcome - boltaction, to a great community .... :)

boltaction
July 4, 2003, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome folks. In response to Chaim, my fellow Marylander: I teach at the Univ of Md (College Park), and I shoot mostly at:

1. Damascus (WAC) chapter of the Izaak Walton League,
2. Gilbert indoor range in Rockville.

ed dixon
July 4, 2003, 01:23 PM
Good to meet you, doc. I like to consider myself a mirthful supplicant here, but whispers of "village idiot" lilt across our pleasant valley.;)

eviltravis
July 4, 2003, 01:48 PM
I'm a product of the public school system.:uhoh: I'm lucky to have made it out with the ability to read.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
July 4, 2003, 07:46 PM
I went to a vocational training course when I was in high school. I wanted to learn how to work with metal, so I trained to be a machinist. Did that for a year, building manifolds for Hewlett-Packard Mass Spectrometers, (Got right good at it, too.) then quite to go back to school, as there's a long history of doctors and rocket scientists in my family.

Dropped out with less than a year of crummy general ed. backround with designs on a degree in Mechanical Engineering. The machinist's training was a part of that, as I'd heard lots of stories about smarty-pants engineers with no practical experience designing stupid stuff. Didn't want to design stupid stuff, but discovered that working hands-on was where my desires lay.

Got laid off from the machining job, (It was getting boring, anyway.) and bumbled into furniture/cabinetry/retail fixtures/tradeshow exhibits when I was 21.

14 years later I am now a Master-class wood/stone/metal/plastic-worker/carver/fabricator, capable of building just about anything I care to put my mind to, with an excellent level of quality and whatever degree of precision is neccessary. I'm a right good seat-of-the pants engineer, also, and I know production manufacturing down to the nitty gritty details. Heck, I make my own Porsche parts better than the factory pieces. (Gloat: Got my stolen car back. YEA! :D)

Union scale would earn me about $60,000/year if I can get job in this stupid business-unfriendly state. (I HATE the stupid union, but they make it so I can earn what I'm worth, and have bennies. :() I think that's more than my 13-year-Ph.D'd+5-years-in-the-field astrophysicist brother makes working for NASA/Jet Propulsion Labs, or my aerospace engineer-degree'd sister made when she worked for Rockwell on the Shuttle program.

Hmmph. I'm a college dropout, a category for which there is no choice in the poll.

But I am the best crafstman I know, and if I had a machine shop handy, I'd give Hamilton Bowen a run for his money. What level of education do you call THAT? I've been studying guns continously for nine years, but there's no degree program for that. (Liberal educational institutions aren't into "Gunology", you know.)

And of course, Liberal Democraps KNOW that a collitch-eddicated drone is smarter than a Journeyman Tradesman. Ugh, we get our hands dirty! (No offense to you college folks or gun-toting liberal Dems, of course.)

I need a digital camera. I gotta post pics of the knives I'm building right now. By hand. (Well, with a 6" bench grinder and files and stuff. ;)) I think you'd like 'em.

Smoke
July 4, 2003, 09:01 PM
I attended a one year, certificated program right out of high school fully intending for that to be the extent of my education. Picked up my "Ranch Management" certificate, worked for a year, and decided more education might be a good thing.

Went back to the school that had the Ranch Mgt. Program and enrolled in a Economics program. After earining enough credits, but not completeing a full degree program (according to my counselor) I begged and pleaded, on my knees, kissing the feet of any professor that would listen to please let me out of here.

I graduated with the only Ag Economics degree they have ever awarded. (With the promise that I or my offspring never attend that particular University again.)

Dave Markowitz
July 4, 2003, 09:19 PM
BS in History Politics, 1991.

JD (Law), 1996. Admitted in PA, Federal E. District of PA, and Third Circuit Court of Appeals. Haven't practiced in a few years, though.

IT certifications: MCSE-NT4, A+, Network+, Sair Linux & GNU Installation & Configuration, Linux+ (for which I was a subject matter expert). I admit it, I'm a geek. :D

CW-op
July 4, 2003, 09:58 PM
High School, plus 43 years at the University of Hard Knocks. But you did not include that.

Ian
July 5, 2003, 01:12 AM
Graduated high school (got the International Baccalaureate diploma), and now I'm halfway through a Bachelor's in aeronautical engineering. Probably going to change my major, though.

Soap
July 5, 2003, 08:34 PM
Ian, what are you switching to? Do you have "Krannert envy"? ;) :D

ed dixon
July 5, 2003, 11:23 PM
Well, I hope this isn't offensive, but I'll just add that I've met some of the dumbest people of my life in college (and graduate school) and some of the smartest on back porches and street corners. There is not a grain of irony intended in that statement. Lots of dumb folk go to college. Lots of smart folk don't. Simple as 2+2.

Moparmike
July 5, 2003, 11:43 PM
Simple as 2+2.
Thats 22, right?:D

Old Pa
July 5, 2003, 11:48 PM
J.D., M.S. (criminalistics), B.A. (history) and still have most of my teeth!:neener:

Ian
July 6, 2003, 12:45 AM
Krannert envy? Hah! More like machine shop envy. I'm looking very seriously at mechanical engineering technology. I want to make stuff!

Dot_mdb
July 6, 2003, 01:08 AM
MBA, Finance. Thirty-three years in bank management.

trooper
July 6, 2003, 04:31 AM
Hmm, let's see...

Finished high school '99

Border Police College '99 - '02

Graduated with a degree in Public Administration and an officer's commission (which is pretty much the only job I can get with this degree :-)

Regards,

Trooper

pax
July 6, 2003, 12:59 PM
College dropout and autodidact.

pax

Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is. -- Isaac Asimov

aerod1
July 6, 2003, 01:23 PM
Two yrs. of college.
Graduated from Plumbers and Steamfiiters UA Local 100 apprenticeship school, class of 1971.
Texas master plumber with medical gas endorsement.
Texas Air Conditioning Contractors "A" License with "C" endorsement.

Jim Hall

If you enjoyed reading about "Levels of Education" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!