Where are SA 1911s made?

PDA

strat81
August 6, 2007, 11:32 AM
The search function doesn't like my terms...

Where are Springfield Armory 1911 pistols made? Specifically, the GI and the Mil-Spec? If the parts are from country X and assembled in country Y, please specify. Much thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Where are SA 1911s made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
August 6, 2007, 11:33 AM
I think mine had something about Imbel / Brazil stamped on the frame.

JDGray
August 6, 2007, 11:39 AM
SA = South America:D Dont know about the high end ones, though.

scubie02
August 6, 2007, 11:59 AM
yes, Imbel in Brazil, but this is not a bad thing. I don't know if it would still be the case, but once upon a time if you did an internet search for Imbel, one of the first things that came up was a custom rifle maker who stated on his site that he would only do custom FN's or whatever using the highest quality base guns/receivers, such as those made by Imbel and one or two other makers

strat81
August 6, 2007, 12:04 PM
Cool, thanks for the replies.

Scubie, I don't consider Made in "country other than the USA" a bad thing. None of the complete, functioning firearms I own were made in the US.

AndyC
August 6, 2007, 12:16 PM
Imbel makes good stuff - highly-prized FN FAL receivers, amongst other things.

JDGray
August 6, 2007, 02:11 PM
The guns do have forged frames & slides, if it matters:)

DogBonz
August 6, 2007, 02:32 PM
Like the TRP are made in the U.S. The rest, as stated by others are made in Brazil.

Silent Bob
August 6, 2007, 05:17 PM
That is incorrect. All SA 1911s, including the vaunted Professional Model, start out as forgings from Brazil whether they are marked as such or not. Some of the higher-end models such as the TRP (as well as the NM serial-numbered Mil-Specs) and so forth have additional machining work and parts-fitting done in the U.S.

Wayne G.
August 6, 2007, 05:24 PM
I have a Mil-Spec (with NM serial number) that says Geneseo, IL, not IMBEL BRAZIL like my Loaded model (which does not have NM in serial number). I found this one at a gun show a couple months ago and jumped all over it. Maybe it's just coincidence, but the insides were more "finished" looking (as in lack of tool marks) and the roll marks on the slide were much more uniform and cleaner than my Loaded model which had uneven roll marks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where are SA 1911s made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!