Clarification of Firearm Liscences


August 6, 2007, 02:27 PM
I was looking at the atf's website and was a bit confused. It says that
"Type 01 -

DEALER in firearms other than destructive devices.
(includes: rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, gunsmith activities, and National
Firearms Act (NFA) weapons.)

18 U.S.C 923(a)(3)(B)


$ 200.00 for the first three (3) years.
$ 90.00 on renewal."
Yet at the same time if you want a license that includes destructive devices its 3000. What exactly is the difference?

If you enjoyed reading about "Clarification of Firearm Liscences" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
August 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
I'm thinking high explosives. Just a guess.

August 6, 2007, 07:24 PM
Yah, I always figured they treated DD's separately because it includes stuff with special storage requirements and other intrinsic HazMat type dangers.

But, explosives are worth it, aren't they? :D

August 6, 2007, 07:36 PM
Destructive devices also include non-sporting arms over .50 caliber.

August 6, 2007, 07:51 PM
18 USC 921
(4) The term “destructive device” means—
(A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas—
(i) bomb,
(ii) grenade,
(iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
(iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
(v) mine, or
(vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;
(B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and
(C) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.
The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

August 7, 2007, 05:38 PM
Ahhh thank you all for the clarification. So does that mean in order to get a license allow you to sell firearms, it's 300? Also would it be legal to simply buy a license and charge people for FFL transfers, or would you actually need a brick and mortar store for that type of operation?

August 7, 2007, 05:51 PM
There are many FFL's who operate out of their home, mainly doing just FFL transfers. You need to be making money/operating a business and not just using it to collect stuff easier (like MG samples, though a class III dealer can get samples and "test" them or demonstrate them for potential buyers, the dealer better be trying to make money and not just collecting MG's). Reason for the higher cost for DD's? My guess, despite any excuses they make, is it's to reduce as much as possible how many dealers sell the stuff, to reduce how many people own DD's. It's relatively easy to find a Class III dealer who has short barreled guns, machine guns, AOW's, but try and find one with, say, grenades...good luck, they aren't on every street corner, that's for sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Clarification of Firearm Liscences" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!