Nikon prostaff vs. Leupold VX 1

PDA

phantomak47
August 6, 2007, 05:33 PM
What are the major differences between these two scopes? What is a better value for the money? Its got to be a 3x9, so which out of these two scopes is the better deal?

Pros

Cons of each scope

If you enjoyed reading about "Nikon prostaff vs. Leupold VX 1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
streetstang67
August 6, 2007, 05:39 PM
I don't know if you will be able to find anybody who actually has owned and tried both of them for comparison...but I have a VX-I and really like it.

Initially I had a problem with it, the magnification ring was unusually hard to turn, so I sent it in to Leupold and they fixed it for free, problem solved.

I have since been adjusting my trigger and banging the rifle very hard against the ground to be sure the trigger won't accidentally fire, the scope has held up fine and crosshairs are exactly where they were before I went banging the gun around.

tydephan
August 6, 2007, 05:48 PM
Leupold.

I have a Prostaff 3-9X40.

I had the opportunity, just today, to compare it to the Leupold VX1 3-9X40.

As far as clarity goes, my eyes could not tell the difference. However, the VX1 seemingly had much, much better eye relief. That made acquiring the sight picture much easier for me.

I didn't have a chance to compare how they handle low-light, though.

Also compared were a Nikon Monarch 3-9X40 and a Bushnell 3200 Mildot 10X40 and a Nikon Monarch 2-7X33.

The Leupold VX1 3-9X40 was my favorite scope of them all.

The guy that owns these has a VXII coming in later in the week. I look forward to seeing how it compares to the VX1.

I'm a Nikon guy by heart. All my camera equipment and current rifle lenses are Nikons. But the VX series, IMO, are top notch.

rantingredneck
August 6, 2007, 06:50 PM
I'm considering a prostaff with the BDC reticle for my Rem 700 .30-06.

I've had a BSA mildot on it for 6 or 7 years and had great service from it til I was shooting with a friend on Saturday and the objective lens came loose under recoil.

ArmedBear
August 6, 2007, 06:52 PM
Fullfield II with Ballistic Plex reticle deserves a look as well. Same price range, excellent scope, known for durability and bright image. I love mine.

.41Dave
August 6, 2007, 08:31 PM
The Nikon Prostaff is significantly less expensive than the Leupold VXI, about $150 vs. $220. It is also more a direct competitor to the Leupold Rifleman than the VXI. The Nikon Buckmaster is a significantly better scope than the Prostaff, is about the same price as the Leupold VXI, and has better glass than the Leupold.

That said, I agree with ArmedBear that you should also consider the Burris Fullfield II. I bought one and found it compared very favorably to a Leupold VXII that I had. The Burris is head and shoulders above the Leupold VXI for roughly the same money.

scubie02
August 6, 2007, 08:56 PM
to me the best feature of a Leupold is the non-critical eye relief. Recently I have been somewhat disturbed by the fact, however, that they removed the "made in america" from their scopes. Now, Leupold says this is because they began outsourcing for their glass from "europe, asia, etc", but they are still assembled here. But the thing is, it was my understanding that they were buying/using german and japanese glass for the past several years (which in and of itself is ok by me, since thos countries make some great glass) but assembling them here, yet they still said "made in america" on them, so it can't be that it is simply because they are outsourcing the glass if they were already doing that. The rumor is that they are being made in China now, which if true, as much as I have loved Leupold's in the past, it's hard to swallow paying Leupold prices on a Chinese Scope, and I don't care what people say I haven't seen Chinese glass as good as Japanese or German yet.

I wish we could get a CLEAR answer from Leupold on this--if you email them asking if they are chinese, a LONG time later you get some evasive email about how they use some "asian" glass (dodging the China question), which is disturbing.

I haven't looked through one of the new non made in the usa scopes. The older made in the usa ones were nice scopes.

phantomak47
August 7, 2007, 12:39 AM
Is this bushnell 3200 a better scope for the money? They only want $179 for it.

http://www.samplelist.com/

Poper
August 7, 2007, 01:38 AM
has the relationship of the Nikon vs Leupold brands nailed. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples.

I have both Nikons (5 - 3 Monarchs, 1 Buckmasters, 1 Prostaff) and Leupolds (3 - 1ea. VX-I, VX-II, Rifleman) plus a Burris Fullfield II, Weaver fixed 4x and a fixed 24x 50mm target, a Redfield 3-9x 40mm, 2 Simmons' (3-9x 50mm) and a Swift 3-9x 40mm.
The Burris is the only one I have had trouble with. It would not hold zero under moderate or heavy recoil,:scrutiny: so I sent it back to burris (in a Nikon box!:evil:). It returned about 3 weeks later (in a Burris box) with a note to the effect of "Nothing wrong here. Operator error.":what:
Put it back on my Kimber 84M chambered in .260 Remington with the same results. :fire: Funny thing: The Leupold Rifleman sitting in its place is working very well, thank you! Imagine that....:rolleyes:
Took it off and relegated it to my Browning Buckmark .22 rimfire rifle thinking it might tolerate the recoil. Bitched about it at the range one day and was offered $100 for it after telling the full story. Gone!!;)

I really don't mean to degrade other's choices, but I gave Burris two tries. :cuss: Initial purchase and attempted warranty.:cuss::cuss: I know others with vastly different experiences with Burris, but I will not donate further funds to Burris, thank you.:barf:

I'll stick to Nikons (1st), Leupolds (2nd), Weaver (3rd) and anything but Burris (4th). :neener:

Just my 2 cents and your $4 will get you a Starbucks.... :D:D

Poper

.41Dave
August 7, 2007, 02:18 AM
I'd chose the Bushnell Elite 3200 over the Leupold VXI.

Lucky
August 7, 2007, 04:11 AM
Poper I had a Bushnell I liked that stopped holding zero. I figured it out when I'd set the windage specifically to one setting, then a couple shots later distinctly noticed that the dial had moved. After a while I noticed that there were 2 little screws on top of each the elevation and windage adjustments. They were loose, so one-at-a-time I removed, added locktite, and screwed back in. It's holding zero just fine now.

scubie02
August 7, 2007, 10:15 AM
anyway, just realized I didn't really put the answer to your question in my previous post. Assuming the newer Leupold's have the same qualities as the USA ones from a couple of years ago, the Leupold will still have very good optics, and much better/less critical eye relief. The Nikon will probably have a bit sharper/clearer optics, but be much more critical in terms of eye positioning etc. I believe the Nikon also has a two piece tube, if that sort of thing matters to you.

With a Leupold or an older Burris (not a huge fan since they switched to FFII's either) one thing to consider is that you could always buy a used one, and if there's anything wrong with it, they'll fix it under warranty, even if you aren't the original owner.

phantomak47
August 7, 2007, 10:55 AM
I am thinking about either the nikon prostaff or the Bushnell 3200, there are a lot of very positive reviews about the 3200. Its suppose to be one of the best values for the money out there.

what does anyone have say about the 3200?

scubie02
August 7, 2007, 12:05 PM
Nothing wrong with the Bushnell's either. I've got a Bausch & Lomb 3000, which is basically the 3200 before they decided to relabel them as Bushnell's, and it's been a solid scope. Hell, it's not on anything at the moment, you might entice me to sell it since I have about a half dozen "extra" scopes at the moment haha

phantomak47
August 7, 2007, 03:04 PM
how much would you want for it?

scubie02
August 7, 2007, 04:33 PM
I hadn't really thought about it...it's probably got some light ring marks from weaver 4x4 rings (if you've used 4x4's, they are more likely to leave some marks in the finish just based on the style)--$90? Sounds like that'd be half price frpm what they are now from the price mentioned above. I'm not really itching to sell it, but I suppose it would add to the funds I've been gathering for another purchase.

phantomak47
August 7, 2007, 05:04 PM
Scubie, I ended up getting a scope from my cousin, but I do appriacate your offer. THanks for all of the info.

scubie02
August 7, 2007, 05:14 PM
no problem! what'd you end up getting? At some point in life you've had most of the brands, and I try to pass along my impressions if it's something I am in the fortunate position to be able to comment on.

bullseyes76
August 7, 2007, 10:28 PM
Can anyone suggest a good scope under $300 that would be good for just about anything I come acrossed to put on my new CZ 550 in 6.5x55 swede . I'm leaning toward a leuold or bushy elite 3200 series . Thanks the new guy.

scubie02
August 8, 2007, 12:28 AM
well, a 3-9x40 would be the most common choice, but you could get away with a 2x7 or even something smaller in a caliber like that where you will most likely be hunting bigger game, correct? Something like a deer's vitals is a fairly large target, easily hit at hundreds of yards even with minimal magnification. Some like to go smaller for the lighter weight, but then the 3-9 or something similar gives you the extra versatility, and a 550 isn't a bantamweight gun to start with, so a couple extra ounces probably isn't a big deal. And as you get older, extra magnification becomes a good thing ;)

If you're going to spend $300, you could go a Leupold VXii, or a Nikon Monarch, or the Bushy with lots of extra $, or lots of other choices too--many options in the $300 range. Or I might be persuaded to part with that Bausch & Lomb haha

I'm always picking up some scope I come across and having more and more "spares" *sigh* I'm a sucker for classics. I should probably keep the B&L actually just because you can't get em with that name on em anymore...

Durby
August 8, 2007, 12:54 AM
Whichever scope anyone chooses, there are more and more scopes with lifetime warranties. The Leupolds don't require any receipt, and I know people who have sent theirs back and got them fixed in a timely manner. No hassle. The Bushnell Elites have this warranty I think, but more and more scope companies have them now. To me, it would not make sense to buy one without the lifetime warranty, unless it was definitely out of my budget (which it probably is, I spent all my money on the guns...)

.41Dave
August 8, 2007, 09:26 AM
Can anyone suggest a good scope under $300 that would be good for just about anything I come acrossed to put on my new CZ 550 in 6.5x55 swede . I'm leaning toward a leuold or bushy elite 3200 series . Thanks the new guy.

Don't bother with a Leupold or the 3200. Leupold has been resting on it's reputation for years, and now has to catch up to the vast horde of manufacturers whose scopes have left Leupold's offerings in the dust at almost every price point. Don't get me wrong, Leupolds are decent scopes, but unless you have to have some kind of bizarre off-the-wall reticle, Leupold has little to offer that other manufacturers don't, and the others offer more for less. As for the 3200, it is a good scope, but with a $300 budget, you can get a much better one.

The Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 at a price of $260 is the best scope value for a $300 or less budget, IMHO. It is a well kept secret, and the only difference between it and the more common and much more expensive ($370) 2.5-10x40 Busnell Elite 4200 is the magnification range.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

If you can afford to stretch the budget to $400 (not an easy thing, I know) then the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 pretty much has them beat until you decide to spend $700+

rantingredneck
August 9, 2007, 04:25 PM
I picked up a Nikon Prostaff last night at Gander Mtn. in 3-9x40. Optics are very clear. I took it home and mounted it on my Rem 700 ADL .30-06 in Leupold rings. Eye relief is perfect for me, optics are again very clear. I popped my laser bore sighter in and lo and behold the windage was perfect straight from the box. Slight adjustment needed in elevation. I'll shoot in Sunday and we'll see how she does. So far I am very pleased.

159.00 plus 10% discount for opening Gander Mtn. charge acct. Charged it at the gun counter, paid it off at the customer service counter on the way out the door. :D

scubie02
August 9, 2007, 07:27 PM
congrats--the prostaff's are nice scopes. I have one on a 22 and it has very clear optics.

ranger335v
August 9, 2007, 08:12 PM
I chose my last scope for deer hunting. It's a Bushnell with the Rain Guard coating and I love it. I got a 3200 3-9x40 for my 30-06 Mtn Rifle instead of a 4200 when I was looking in the scope counter at Walmart as they put a $110 clearance price on one at the end of the hunting season a few years back. Too good to be true! I had the store guy pull it right back out as he was putting it in the case.

If there is any difference between its optics and my old Leupold VXII 3-9x40 with AO I can't tell. And the difference between it and any other scope in the rain is night and day! I have been astonished at the lack of mention by others about Bushnell's Rain Guard coating. A half-inch longer eye relief I can do without, seeing better in all condiitons, I can't!

rellington
September 25, 2009, 10:53 PM
I just purchased a Leupold VX-1. I mounted it on a Stevens Model 200 .223. Laser accuracy, crosshairs compare to a prostaff, they are thinner and don't cover the target as much. About the best scope you can buy for the money. Optics are crystal clear, and best of all, it is American made!

martinclaybold
September 28, 2009, 02:38 AM
My choice would be Nikon Prostaff 4X32 Rimfire Classic hands down. I got it dirt cheap for just $112.95.

deer killa
December 6, 2009, 11:39 PM
luepy

If you enjoyed reading about "Nikon prostaff vs. Leupold VX 1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!