AK-47 left handed cocking?

PDA

Domino
August 6, 2007, 05:35 PM
Has anyone ever seen an AK bolt carrier that allows for cocking on the leftside of the weapon? Seems like it would be pretty easy to build. The gun could use the same bolt and gas piston, it would just need a new bolt carrier and reciever cover.

Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "AK-47 left handed cocking?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Navy87Guy
August 6, 2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah -- just reach across with your left hand and cock the normal AK bolt. It's easy and quick -- and doesn't require expensive gunsmithing.

Jim

MrTuffPaws
August 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
As stated, just tilt the gun a bit, reach under with the left hand, and work the action with your index finger.

As for a left sided version, no I have not seen one. The closest is the Galil, which would allow you to grab the bolt handle from the top.

nalioth
August 6, 2007, 06:08 PM
As stated, just tilt the gun a bit, reach under with the left hand, and work the action with your index finger.
Thought they taught you to rotate the rifle (top side) to the 10 or 11 o'clock position (magazine/pistol grip at 4 or 5pm), reach over it and sweep the charging handle.

Reaching under with the mag inserted seems kinda iffy.

Prince Yamato
August 6, 2007, 06:28 PM
Ewbank used to make pistols that had an extended charging handle that could be cocked with either hand. I'm not sure if the receiver cover was modified or if it was the handle only. At any rate, YES people have done it. I think logically, all you'd have to do is dremmel the left side of the receiver cover to match the right and weld another charing handle onto the bolt carrier. Personally, if I was going for the ambidextrous set-up, I'd modify both sides with an SKS style handle.

One more thing to consider is that such a setup would prohibit the use of a side-mount scope rail, as the returning charging handle would clip the rail.

Navy87Guy
August 6, 2007, 06:46 PM

What seems "iffy" -- are you talking about safety or just the mechanics of doing it? In either case, there's no issue. Besides, you reach in front of the mag, not under it.

Here's a link to a post on AR15 with some videos of some quick mag changes. The guy charges the AK using the underhanded approach. I've tried it and it works fine...it's actually easier than switching hands or working over the top of the receiver (now that's something that ought to raise safety concerns!)

Somewhere I saw a commercial posting for a left-handed AK - -maybe it was on AK Forum. They built a left-handed bolt and accompanying cover. Again, it achieves the same thing...it's just a lot more expensive!

Jim

Danus ex
August 6, 2007, 06:52 PM
Counter-Strike makes one:

http://css-16.wbs.cz/css-zbrane/css_ak47_original.jpg

If you don't mind the fact that it's virtual.

brentn
August 6, 2007, 07:30 PM
^then it MUST EXIST!!!

ConfuseUs
August 6, 2007, 07:39 PM
If you were going to still eject out of the right side you could Dremel the receiver cover on the left side to create a slot for the charging handle and then hack off the handle from an ordinary bolt carrier and weld it onto the left side. Seems like it would weaken the receiver cover though since it's just very thin sheet metal. Probably it wouldn't cost that much to do.

Add left side ejection and you need new bolts and receivers as well as modified bolt carriers and new receiver covers. The safety could stay the same but it would be fairly inconvenient (for left handers I mean. But the world is already a PITA for them, not that I pity them).

It's just easier to build it in the world of Counter Strike because you just flip the vectors.

MD_Willington
August 6, 2007, 07:50 PM
All the ones I've seen, the cover is simply modified and the bolt handle is chopped off the right side and replaced on the left side.

I think the real genius would be for some one to come up with a left side charging handle that is not directly connected to the bolt while firing, but only engaged when you are charging.

That way we could have one more American made part, a domestic bolt carrier, couple that with a domestic piston and there are 2 BATFE browny points for the 10 or less foreign parts, kind of like a "firearms slim fast plan"...

dstorm1911
August 6, 2007, 07:59 PM
Except that if your going left side ejection as well then ya not only have to redesign the bolt, bolt carrier, lower bolt rails (gotta swap the ejector to right side rail) ya will also need to pull the barrel and cut the extractor slot on the left side of the barrel as well.......... the dust cover is the least of your problems plus ya now got a fixed bolt handle commin at your face on every shot etc... A friend did a 5.45 M-92 virgin kit build as a left side gun but he is a master machinist and gunsmith who learned his craft at factory 11 in poland during the cold war years as a machinist...... he designed a floating cocking assembly which elliminated the fixed handle he estimated that if he did one for a customer the gun would have to cost $3,000 plus dollars to cover the time and materials involved........ but its one very trick Full auto SBR Krink (dealer post sample as he's an 07/SOT2) shoots real nice and very accurate even with Suppresor mounted

ConfuseUs
August 6, 2007, 08:06 PM
Forgot about that extractor cut in the barrel. I bet you would need a different front trunnion too.

dstorm1911
August 6, 2007, 08:49 PM
Confuseus yes ya would need a different front trunion, the way Marion did his Krink he machined his own trunion but mirrored and as the barrel was virgin ya really can't tell as it only has the one extractor cut , he machined all the FCG parts including the left side mounted rate reducer and auto sear, selector etc... .. he even engraved all the Zastava markings on the right side of the trunion and gas block just to mess with folks....... he's a real funny Polok :D

benEzra
August 6, 2007, 09:23 PM
Thought they taught you to rotate the rifle (top side) to the 10 or 11 o'clock position (magazine/pistol grip at 4 or 5pm), reach over it and sweep the charging handle.

For me, going under the rifle is way easier than rolling the rifle and going over, and you can keep a firing position as well. Watch the video and try it yourself with an empty mag and unloaded gun; it really works well. If you have optics on the rifle (as I do, a Kobra), then going under the rifle makes even more sense.

http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/uploads/1168567538/med_gallery_260_23_20379.jpg

If somebody made a left-side-charging-handle, right-side-eject AK, I wouldn't buy it. For me, there wouldn't be much of a convenience/speed gain, and the left-side charging handle slot would introduce an opening for dirt and mud that couldn't be closed (the right-side charging handle slot is covered by the safety when in the "on" position).

Limeyfellow
August 6, 2007, 09:30 PM
Then there are us left handed who were chosen by the Gods so that Aks fit us really well.

blackhawk2000
August 6, 2007, 10:24 PM
.......... the dust cover is the least of your problems plus ya now got a fixed bolt handle commin at your face on every shot etc...

Have you ever shot an AK left handed? This is not a problem. If you are watching the charging handle, you have other issues.

Zach S
August 7, 2007, 10:00 AM
I dont shoot AKs very often (dont own one, yet), but I've found that its easier for me to use my right hand while my left hand stays on the grip. Mag changes are handled by my right hand as well.

Anyway, I dont care for lefty rifles. I'm so used to the controls being on the wrong side that I get all screwed up whith southpaw longarms.

Counter-Strike makes one:And the guy using it isnt wrong-handed...

Storm
August 7, 2007, 12:01 PM
I wonder whether Mikhail Kalishnakov is left handed.

Domino
August 7, 2007, 07:12 PM
Hmm, No one seems really interested at all. I'm just talking about some drop in parts to make the AK-47 more shootable. I change the magazine with my left hand and it would be nice to be able to use the same hand to cock the weapon WITHOUT significantly putting my weapon off target or doing that crazy under the mag technique. Don't get me wrong I can do it, it just seems like the cocking handle should have been on the left side of weapon in the first place.

I find pistol griped rifles much easier to cock with the left hand and standard rifle stocks eaiser to work with the right hand. Anyone else feel the same way? The AK's a great weapon, it just needs a left hand action and a peep sight IMO.

BTW, I doubt a little dirt is going to prevent an AK from working. I don't feel that adding a charging handle slot on the left side of the reciever cover is going to make the weapon significantly less reliable.

DoubleTapDrew
August 7, 2007, 07:55 PM
I think it wouldn't be hard to make your own with a little ingenuity and some normal household tools.

pdowg881
August 7, 2007, 07:58 PM
Good design for us lefties. i find it quicker to use than the AR's.

blackhawk2000
August 7, 2007, 10:41 PM
Your question has been answered already. Cut the handle off. Weld it to the other side. Notch the top cover accordingly. If you screw it up, you're out a carrier, and top cover.

ConfuseUs
August 8, 2007, 04:30 AM
Yep, or find dstorm1911's Polish friend and him ask a lefty AK for you make. Sure you make that you to him like this talk or he understand won't, OK? :D

TheDisturbed1
August 8, 2007, 05:00 AM
Just move the charging hadle over and let it eject to the right. slight mods in the cover and bolt carrier is all.

benEzra
August 8, 2007, 08:15 AM
Hmm, No one seems really interested at all. I'm just talking about some drop in parts to make the AK-47 more shootable. I change the magazine with my left hand and it would be nice to be able to use the same hand to cock the weapon WITHOUT significantly putting my weapon off target or doing that crazy under the mag technique. Don't get me wrong I can do it, it just seems like the cocking handle should have been on the left side of weapon in the first place.

I find pistol griped rifles much easier to cock with the left hand and standard rifle stocks eaiser to work with the right hand. Anyone else feel the same way? The AK's a great weapon, it just needs a left hand action and a peep sight IMO.

BTW, I doubt a little dirt is going to prevent an AK from working. I don't feel that adding a charging handle slot on the left side of the reciever cover is going to make the weapon significantly less reliable.
I also change the mag and cock the rifle with my left hand. My point is, going under the rifle with the left hand isn't any harder than left-hand-cocking a left-side charging handle; it's the same arm motion, you're just using the opposite side of your hand. You're not really going under the mag so much as behind it.

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/combatcamera4671/?action=view&current=TacticalMagazineChange.flv

If it doesn't work for you, then certainly, mod your rifle however you want. But if you give it a try, I think you'd be surprised. I have short arms (I'm 5'6"), and this works well for me, even under pressure.

For that reason, moving the handle to the left side wouldn't benefit me much, so the negligible benefit (for me) would not outweigh the additional failure modes it would introduce (addition point of debris entry, and possibility of handle weld failure), however slight they may be.

JWarren
August 8, 2007, 08:25 AM
Tromix does a conversion for Saigas that replaces the cocking handle with a "Galil-type" cocking lever. It would be capable to do that to any AK, me thinks.

The Galil-type cocking lever comes out and bends 90 degrees upward. It seems that it is much easier to manipulate with the left hand. I thought about doing this to my Saiga 308, but thought better of it. It would probably get in the way of optics.

One thing to consider for dremeling and relocating the cocking lever-- it will most likely interfer with mounting a scope rail if that was in your interests.

-- John

ConfuseUs
August 9, 2007, 04:56 AM
Domino it isn't that we aren't very interested, but if you are looking for a source to buy these parts from there isn't one. Generally these parts don't even exist unless they are specially fabricated for an individual. The AK ergonomics are good enough for the job and very few people have an interest in modding the design to what you have in mind. So to get what you want you will have to come up with a modification in the design and then find some way of fabricating it for yourself.

Most of us simply find it easier and cheaper to adapt to the system's quirks than to adapt the system to our quirks.

briansmithwins
August 14, 2007, 11:22 AM
My buddy has a left handed AK. It was a special run for the Spetnaz or something. He's still looking for a left-handed scope for it...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/P3120010left.jpg

Just kidding, I flipped it on GIMP. BSW

If you enjoyed reading about "AK-47 left handed cocking?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!