Quick CMP question (Buying a Carbine next yr)


PDA






Samuraigg
August 6, 2007, 08:54 PM
Hey folks. I've decided to buy a Carbine from the CMP next year and I just wanted to clear some stuff up here rather than sending an email to the very busy folks at the CMP. I read up on all the eligibility requirements. I'm a member of the Illinois State Rifle Association, and thats one of the organizations on the list, so I'm good there. I'm going to a high powered rifle clinic at the Aurora Sportsmen Club, so that covers the marksmanship activity. And I meet the age/citizenship requirements.

Can the CMP ship the Carbine directly to my doorstep even though I don't have a C&R license? Or does it need to go to an FFL?

I also wanted to ask.. when should I mail my order in? I know the carbines become available at certain dates, but that they will sell out quickly. I don't want to see that the carbines go for sale, mail my order in, and have them sell out before my order even gets to them. Any tips?

Thanks for the help folks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick CMP question (Buying a Carbine next yr)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gator
August 6, 2007, 08:57 PM
Yes, the CMP will send the carbine directly to you; no need for an FFL.

Send in your order as soon as the CMP announces they are accepting them. Some guys send them next day delivery to make sure they get in quick :rolleyes:

arthurcw
August 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
Send in your order as soon as the CMP announces they are accepting them. Some guys send them next day delivery to make sure they get in quick

+1

Find out when the ones you want are going on sale (accepting orders) then send it over night the business day before. Priority MAY work, but you have to know it will.

Get all your paperwork correct, get it in the mail, say your prayers, help old ladies cross the street and perhaps you too will know the joy of the BWT's* air breaks hissing outside your door.


*Big White Truck (FedEd)

News Shooter
August 8, 2007, 01:19 PM
I an't have it delivered to work. That means I'll have to stay home. Do they tell you for sure what day it is arriving?

arthurcw
August 8, 2007, 01:55 PM
They should send you a shipment confirmation email.

However, I think they got pretty swamped last time and some of their emails did not go out. But I'm not sure any of the ones that did not go out were shipment emails. I'm almost certain those emails are auto generated upon shipping.

Either way, if the BWT misses you, you can always have them redeliver on a date you will be home.

So you have a 99% chance that you will see the email and tell the boss "*cough* I think I'm sick. *cough*" and a 1% chance you have to call FedEx, schedule a redelivery, then tell the boss, "*cough* I think I'm sick. *cough*"

It'll be ok.

Or if you are close enough to the distribution center, you can ask them to hold it and you can go pick it up.

Trust me, the hardest part will not be getting the rifle once shipped. It will be WAITING FOR THE D@MN EMAIL! Just join the forums at CMP and commiserate around the fire with others waiting.

News Shooter
August 8, 2007, 02:15 PM
:) Appreciate it

Sunray
August 8, 2007, 02:56 PM
"...no need for an FFL..." Or a C&R.
"...redeliver on a date you will be home..." Or have them hold it for you to go get it. Mind you, that'll depend on where you are. Not all BWT locations have pick up hours that help a working stiff. You don't have to be there if there's another adult at home. There are some horror stories about rifles being left on the door step or at a neighbour's house too.

sgtdevildog
August 9, 2007, 07:43 AM
that inlands are available once again in both stores and through mail order so you may be able to get one now if you send your paperwork in. They are inlands.

Pickles
August 10, 2007, 02:47 AM
Quick question for everyone! I saw on the CMP site that the North Store in Ohio will have them on the racks starting September 5th when the store re-opens. I'm considering driving out so that I can have the pleasure of walking the racks till I find the perfect Carbine, but was wondering if there are any restrictions with transporting the rifle across two states, potentially with ammo (if there is a good sale). I plan on steering WELL south of Chicago and arriving in Rockford, where the Carbine is perfectly legal to own.

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick CMP question (Buying a Carbine next yr)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!