Remington SPS in .308 Win

PDA

Anteater1717
August 7, 2007, 03:48 AM
Anyone have one of these. what do yall think about Leopold rifleman 4-14X40

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington SPS in .308 Win" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
August 7, 2007, 09:24 AM
Scope sounds excessive. I'd go for a 3x9 first. I have a really neat Weaver 2x10 on my Remington M7 in .308, love that combination! For hunting, I am more more interested in the lower power than the higher. Anything over 7x is excessive on most big game rifles. If you hunt prairie dogs at 500 yards with a Swift, well, 14x might come in handy. Leupold's are strong scopes, decent optics, a little over priced, but you have to pay for the name, ya know. Remington rifles have always proved to me that they can produce 1 MOA or less, even the soda straw barrel on the little M7. I have a Savage, everyone raves about Savage accuracy and I have a couple of loads for the gun (in 7 mag) that are 1 MOA, but my most accurate rifles are Remingtons. That Savage is real picky about what it likes, too. The Remingtons are more forgiving, more consistently accurate with a wider variety of ammo/bullets. Just my experience, anyway. I really don't know why Savage is so widely praised. They are a LOT of rifle for the money, but IMHO, the Remington is better looking, more refined, more accurate, just a better rifle all around. I won't sell the Savage, though, gets the job done and the big 7 is fun to blast from the bench with in a masochistic sort of way. I don't use it much anymore for hunting, just hunt deer and hogs and not that far away anymore, and my .308 is awesome. If I ever go after elk, I'll carry that 7 with Nosler 160 partitions, though, but for deer/hog around here, there is little reason to carry such a big, heavy long action gun. The .308 works great!

ArmedBear
August 7, 2007, 12:34 PM
Depends what you want to shoot with it (400 yard shots at coyotes, for example, might justify that magnification).

I'd get a Fullfield II 3-9x40. That's what I have on my similar Weatherby .30-06, and I'm real happy with it. Same price range. That's me, though. YMMV. It's definitely worth a look

40mm is a bit small for 14x, especially in the Rifleman. It'll get pretty dark. But 50mm is a bit big for that rifle, IMO. It's nice and sleek, and not too heavy. Why ruin that?

emerson
August 7, 2007, 01:55 PM
I just bought a Remington 700 SPS "Buckmast" edition in '06. I got a good deal on it when the sales price and rebate from Remington were combined. The rebate is still going on, so check it out: http://www.remington.com/library/promotions/2007_open_season_on_savings.asp. It's a nice gun that is easy on the eyes and will get the job done.

For a scope, I put on a Leupold VX-III 3.5x - 10x "Boone & Crockett" edition. You pay for it, that is for sure, but 1) I wanted the recticle, 2) I had a neighbor who worked for years at Leupold, and 3) I live in Beaverton, and wanted to support local/USA companies. So to me, the price was worth it.

I wanted the scope to come in 3x - 9x, so I had to settle there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington SPS in .308 Win" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!