Sav. Ga area IDPA Shooters

PDA

hardhit777
August 7, 2007, 02:12 PM
Hey guys i just found an IDPA shoot in my area and i would like to give it a try.
I have been shooting since i was a kid but never at a real "range" Usualy shoot into a dirt berm left over from digging a pond. any way, i have five possibly six pistols i could shoot a match with,

1. (my carry pistol) Russian mismarked Makarov 9X18
2. Colt combat comander 1911 45acp
3. barretta 92f 9mm
4. glock 22 10mm kurz .40 cal
5. S&W model 19 .357
6. glock 21 .45acp

out of all of these i would really like to shoot a match with my Mak simply because its what i carry. but i think i read somewhere that the smallest cal. you could use for IDPA was 9X19 or .38sp. Is there any truth to this? And if so would they let me shoot the match but not for points? If i can't use my Mak i would like to use the 1911, but it doesn't have an ambi safety and im left handed. its a reach but i can flip the safety off with my left thumb but id rather not do that. Just dont want my thumb that high over top of the weapon.(railroad tracks are bad juju:banghead:)

Oh here is the link to the club i found.
http://www.lcidpa.com/ low country idpa

EDIT, If this is the wronge section mods could you please move it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sav. Ga area IDPA Shooters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
August 7, 2007, 02:28 PM
You are correct, a Makarov is not a permissible IDPA gun.
It must be of 9mm/.38 caliber, the Mak is ok there, but you must make Power Factor 125,000 (muzzle velocity in fps times bullet weight in grains.)
I would let you shoot it at my club match if it were all you owned. But it isn't.

I discourage a southpaw from shooting a 1911 without ambi safety, just too likely to be fumbled and maybe dropped.

Any of your other guns would be suitable.
The Beretta or Glock 22 would enter in Stock Service Pistol (SSP).
The M19 would be a Stock Service Revolver (SSR). Full power .38 Specials would be adequate ammo, no need for magnums.
The Glock 21 could either shoot in SSP or in Custom Defensive Pistol (CDP) with the 1911s.

You need the gun, at least three magazines (Klinton Klip 10 shot are ok) or revolver speedloaders, strong side straight draw belt, paddle, or IWB holster, and carriers for two magazines or three speedloaders. Eye and ear protection are mandatory and you need a concealment garment for many stages. Practice drawing from concealment dryfire so you don't get tangled up in your shirttails.

hardhit777
August 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up on what to bring Jim. Its going to be at least October before i can go, so I've got a while to prepare :) Ill probably end up using the 92-f. Ide like to use the 1911 but its actually my fathers and he wont let me modify his prized pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sav. Ga area IDPA Shooters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!