HP, SP, etc 7.62x39mm - what actually expands?

PDA

goon
August 7, 2007, 04:00 PM
Hi guys. I am looking for some ammo for my AK. Since the FMJ stuff isn't known for doing much other than punching a hole (which still has its uses) I am looking to get some HP or SP stuff. I don't need this for hunting but I would like to have some around.
Expansion would be good, fragmentation is better yet, and a combination of the three would be great.
My questions are
1. Is there any bulk packed russian stuff that is currently available that will do any of that?
2. What about US made stuff?
I would really only need enough to fill a few mags and have a little left for reloading them, but if I can get it in a 500 round package, why not?
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "HP, SP, etc 7.62x39mm - what actually expands?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hamourkiller
August 7, 2007, 11:40 PM
The Winchester SP will expand, I killed several deer with my SKS using it. I dont know about the rest.

cpileri
August 8, 2007, 12:08 AM
http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=001359

Bigfoot
August 8, 2007, 12:17 AM
From the above link.

Of note, most of the “cheap” Russian JHP/JSP ammunition offers poor terminal performance. The one that seems to work is the 7.62x39mm Saspan 124 gr JHP (Ulyanovsk Machinery Plant; 8M3 bullet); from a 16” AKMS the data is:

BG: vel=2297 f/s, pen=15.0”, Max TC=10cm@18cm, RD=0.63”, RW=100.5gr"

Sapsan is the Uly plant ammo that Wolf now markets as Wolf Military Classic HP. The HP is critical as other WMC bullet styles perform pretty much as you expect cheap Rusky ammo to perform, poorly.

JA posted this Sapsan water jug test photo a couple of years ago. I hear that it frags out to 100 yards.

chris in va
August 8, 2007, 04:43 AM
Wolf makes a soft point that will expand. Here's a picture of the results. Note the expansion at .47".

http://brassfetcher.com/7.62x39mm%20Wolf%20154gr%20Soft%20Point.html

sykofreak
August 9, 2007, 04:58 PM
123gr Hornady V-max
http://brassfetcher.com/D&S%20Manufacturing%20123gr%20Hornady%20V-Max.html

MaddSkillz
August 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
BigFoot, are you saying the Wolf Military Classic HP ammo is good? I'm not sure I follow your comment.

I am also looking for some good 762x39 defense ammo should I ever need it. So far, what I'm reading is that the soft points are better for fragmentation than the hollow points. With this round anyway.

Bigfoot
August 10, 2007, 12:06 AM
It's very good for defense. :)

It's also cleaner burning than most Roosky ammo, and has a lower velocity spread (ES) so it should be more accurate. The Uly plant has always produced the highest quality Russian ammo in IMO.

Now the jury is still out on the new poly case coating, some like it better than the old lacquer, some don't. I've never had problems with any of the coatings gumming things up. Then again I don't mind cleaning guns.

So far, what I'm reading is that the soft points are better for fragmentation than the hollow points. With this round anyway.

Better than ALMOST ALL .310 caliber hollow points. The WMC HP/Sapsan/ULY HP is the only exception that I know of. The VMAX bullet that Sykofreak just linked frags very well also.

For possible barrier penetration the Winchester SP seems to act the same whether it's going through auto glass or not according to Doc Roberts. I imagine it would be fairly good through doors or fenders also.

One more thing. Stay far, far away from the other 7.62x39 thread. Some eggspurts over there are gonna get carpal tunnel trying so hard to impress. Too bad it got highjacked, it had a good start.

I won't post on that mess so I'll say it here. In three sentences. ;)

The 7.62x39, with good bullets, is a slightly more versatile round than the 5.56. Big game hunting, defense, and barrier penetration. Jack of all trades, master of none.

MaddSkillz
August 10, 2007, 10:55 AM
Great! Thanks! I know of a place getting the military classic HP's in tonight. So I'll be ordering!

Thanks!
M

If you enjoyed reading about "HP, SP, etc 7.62x39mm - what actually expands?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!