Swabies continue tradition: cowboy lack of brains.

PDA

Dannavyret
August 7, 2007, 03:00 PM
It's been an all too common tradition of both Sailors and Marines standing watch with a firearm to fall to that irresistable urge to "do the cowboy twirl"

Like this morning for instance. I work with a ship repair company in Washington supporting the navy ships up here and as I was walking towards the sentry post seperating the current job from the support pier I heard the unmistakable metalic noise of a pistol, a crash of glass and the "pting" of a round bouncing off something "down range"

Low here stands one unmoving swabbie, his face the visage of "Duh." and his now one roundless 9 mil pointed towards the hevens.

Thank God no one got struck. This is a rather consistant tradition the Navy wishes it could discontinue.

The swabbie, I'm sure, is tall before the man minus a stripe or two for his desire to "twirl the girl".

If you enjoyed reading about "Swabies continue tradition: cowboy lack of brains." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
August 7, 2007, 03:11 PM
If it went off because he was twirling it, why did it go off after it fell?

SSN Vet
August 7, 2007, 03:21 PM
The last time I heard this kind of story, it was told to me by a former classmate who was the Duty officer on an SSN moored in Groton. The topside watch on the sub accross the pier did just the same thing, only he shot himself in the foot playing quick draw.

The Def Con and Threat Con were very low back then and SOP was for the topside sentry to be issued (1) 45 year old 1911, .45 acp, (1) belt with holster and mag. pouch, (4) magazines, each loaded with (5) rounds. The pistol was to be kept unloaded and holstered and on a neck lanyard, unless a threat was present.

Captain's Mast wasn't good enough for the dope...the Commodore conviened a Courts Martial to make an example of him.

RoadkingLarry
August 7, 2007, 03:47 PM
Never did the twirl thing but one early saturday morning while stand NWASG in the torpedo room I was bored and had taken to repeatedly field stripping and reassembling my 1911A1 and timing myself. After about the 9-10th go araound I managed to loose control of the recoil spring and spring and cap sail off into the port torpedo room bilge. On 637 class submarines it is not possible for a normal human to reteive things from that location. Lucky for me the oncoming duty section Topredoman was one of my best freinds and also the small arms petty officer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Swabies continue tradition: cowboy lack of brains." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!