Who do you know?

PDA

Action_Can_Do
August 7, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone. I was reading various posts and I noticed that quite a few members of the high road seem to personally know each other. Some seem to know quite a few members. I personally go shooting with 2 other members of this forum. I was curious. Just how many people on this forum do you personally know? This is a question for the mods as much as for the members. Have you gone out of your way to meet other members? I haven't, but that's cause I haven't noticed any other members who live in Northeast Pa.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who do you know?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hexidismal
August 7, 2007, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure this discussion really belongs in the 'general gun discussions' forum, it would probably be a better fit in the 'rallying point' sub-forum. Anyway, that being said.. I can't really say I know any THR member personally. I have met one member for a brief face to face gun transaction (I bought his 1911), but I don't really count that as KNOWing someone. And I have spoken, again briefly and also transaction related, to a couple other members on the phone. Thats about it. I think about twice maybe I've had sort of loosely knit plans to meet and shoot with other members, but for whatever reason those just never panned out. I really don't think there are that many THR members particularly close by to me. I've seen some from neighboring counties and such, but never one right around me. I wish there were.

erict
August 7, 2007, 04:51 PM
I only know 2 people from thehighroad. I've met around 30 or so during Nashville gun shows or the 10 or so I've had transactions with but I don't know them well personally.

alucard0822
August 7, 2007, 05:32 PM
I've never really met any other THR members, but I have an idea of who a couple are. A few months ago during the fight aggainst a MD AWB about 500 people showed up, and from the many accounts of High Roaders, I remembered a few from earlier in the day, I didn't identify myself as one, and neither did they. There have been a couple THR shoots somewhat locally that I would have loved to go to, but I got stuck working, and couldn't attend.:(

Joe Gunns
August 7, 2007, 07:00 PM
Had a highroader come into the store, his gf spotted THR on the comp screen and was amazed a book guy, next door to old-hippie heaven, would be surfing gun sites. Have bought some stuff FTF from the classifieds sections. All seemed to be good peeps. OTT I don' know nobody!
James

FullEffect1911
August 7, 2007, 08:02 PM
I'll chime in on this on... I know Action_Can_Do... But that is all.

And I gotta get him to go shooting more...

ACD... go shooting more.

shc1
August 7, 2007, 10:37 PM
I might know several folks here. They might not admit it however.;)

SolaScriptura139
August 7, 2007, 10:43 PM
I know 2 people from here. One introduced me to the board, and got me seriously interested in RKBA.

Larry Ashcraft
August 7, 2007, 10:56 PM
This is kind of off topic, but it could be interesting, so we'll let it run for a while.

I've met at least 50 THR members, most of whom I consider friends. I've been meaning to make up a list, just for fun.

M2 Carbine
August 7, 2007, 11:16 PM
To the best of my knowledge I've never met a member.

I don't get out much.:)

.cheese.
August 7, 2007, 11:27 PM
I'm sure I've met members and neither of us knew.

bensdad
August 7, 2007, 11:54 PM
Everybody shows up at your house, drinks your beer, shoots your guns and critiques your ninja gear.

Harry Paget Flashman
August 8, 2007, 12:03 AM
I have met one member in a FTF sale and have traded PM's with 21.

NeoSpud
August 8, 2007, 01:00 AM
I'd like to meet Oleg, seeing as we both live in the same city and I'm trying to develop an interest in photography (get it? develop? hahaHA! ...sorry :( )

I've met people from Potato Cannon forums... so why not RKBA ones?

kd7nqb
August 8, 2007, 05:01 AM
I just found out that a THR member is my new prospective member of my 2nd Amm society at school. No surprise, thats as far as it goes.

Woodsmoke
August 8, 2007, 05:08 AM
I know one, but he is my brother so I don't think he counts.

Or maybe he counts twice since I know him so well.

Or maybe it counts against me since I wish I didn't know him. :D

rero360
August 8, 2007, 08:30 AM
as far as I know, I've never met anyone from here, however my girlfriend did go to college with the wife of one of the guys here.

JWarren
August 8, 2007, 09:04 AM
I know that there are a couple members that live near me, but I've only met one. The one I've met is not a poster however.

If you are in South MS/LA, say hello!

-- John

kb2iaw
August 8, 2007, 09:16 AM
I know one ...we are both navy veterns ,we even served on the same destroyer (at different times ) never him FTF but e-mail frequently .

foghornl
August 8, 2007, 09:16 AM
I haven't met any THR folks face-to-face, but have had some extensive "conversations" {via PM or E-mail} with some memebers.

Even though I haven't met anyone personally, I do consider a lot of members here to be 'friends'......or perhaps as a very extended family.

CajunBass
August 8, 2007, 09:19 AM
The only one I know is my wife (CajunsMisty) but I don't guess that counts, and she doesn't post much anyway.

ptmmatssc
August 8, 2007, 09:52 AM
not really any(many) in my area(state) , so no , don't know any other member personally .

1911 guy
August 8, 2007, 10:13 AM
Dogwielder and I got together for some pre-season scouting a few weeks ago and are planning to whack tree rats opening morning.

Legionnaire
August 8, 2007, 10:40 AM
I know one THR member quite well. He's the one who got me started taking courses at LFI, and we teamed up to go to Storm Mountain a couple of years back. I met several THR folks at a shoot in Portage, PA over a year ago, and have met a couple other THR folks I've concluded deals with. I wouldn't say I know any of the latter particularly well, but the ones I've met seem to be "good people" and I'm itching for another get-together. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to organize one. I was really sorry that scheduled job responsibilities kept me from attending the Whittington shoot. I'd have been there if I could.

yhtomit
August 8, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure! :)

I suspect that some people with whom I have a nodding-in-recognition relationship from the local gun stores or range are in fact readers, but don't know if I've brought it up to them. I do remember recommended it to someone I met randomly at the range who specifically asked me to recommend a good web site to learn more about shooting.

Are there THR T-shirts? If so, I might be interested in getting one as a mini billboard (or, better, in other people deciding to get one ;)), so readers might have a reason to say hello in person.

timothy

Sav .250
August 8, 2007, 11:07 AM
How many?............none.

Legionnaire
August 8, 2007, 11:09 AM
Hmmm. THR Shirt. I'd nominate a variant of the following:

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62065&stc=1&d=1186582278

http://www.cafepress.com/ctd_HoboLogo

I like the "man with a gun" hobo symbol. Dress it up with a hand-drawn "THR?"

NeoSpud
August 8, 2007, 11:46 AM
A triangle with antlers??? Or is it trying to give me a hug?

springmom
August 8, 2007, 12:07 PM
On my recent road trip to Nantucket and back (from Texas :what:) I got to have dinner with sm and BullfrogKen very kindly babysat my Kimber so that I could carry through legal states then leave it with him as I went on to Massachusetts. Picked it up on the way back and had a lovely dinner with him and his wife.

Some of our other members have met folks driving cross country too. It's great to put faces to names. I have several more on my list to meet next year when we do the trip again.

Springmom

Justin
August 8, 2007, 12:53 PM
A triangle with antlers??? Or is it trying to give me a hug?

It's an old hobo symbol that stands for "don't bother with this place. A man with a gun lives here."

It's supposed to be a person with their hands in the air.

High Planes Drifter
August 8, 2007, 02:23 PM
It's an old hobo symbol that stands for "don't bother with this place. A man with a gun lives here."

It's supposed to be a person with their hands in the air.

Are you sure.?:scrutiny:

Cause I've gotta tell ya, it really looks like a triangle with antlers.

I dont know anyone from THR, I've exchanged PM's with a bunch of folks, but never met anyone. Im from south Louisiana, and there probably arent a whole lot of other members living in this area.

Action_Can_Do
August 8, 2007, 04:06 PM
It would be interesting to see some kind of yearly social event where members could meet up, shoot guns, and make friends. Of course, it would require someone to do all the organizing, hosting, ect. I would do it if I wasn't so poor.:(

Larry Ashcraft
August 8, 2007, 04:13 PM
THR National Get Together. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=279941)

Ala Dan
August 8, 2007, 04:53 PM
I know quite a few, as capbuster and my-self are from the same
hometown; and my dear friend the silent one (from Rhode Island) are like country brother's. The rest, I have come in contact with thru my work-
Firearms Sales~! :cool:;):D

Novus Collectus
August 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
I have met a few posters that post here, but it was more because they are MDShooters posters and we met at the AWB hearings in Annapolis last year. (Missed this year's hearings). The organizing of the effort was done on MDShooters, but more than a few MDShooters' posters found the sight through THR and TFL posters and their posts about it so it is bound to have a bunch of THRs.

El Tejon
August 8, 2007, 05:22 PM
I've met some of the TN (Knoxville division) Crew, buzz knox was in a class which I had to drop, Glock Glocker, Jeff White, Henry Bowman, Fritz, Dan Flory, Ian, Chris Rhines and Justin (Purdue guys), inter alia.

In addition I know some of our more quiet members--Doc (who cannot stay out of the gun mags), Lone Ranger and Glock-o-matic and his child bride (went to school with Mrs. Glock-o-matic).

Talked to Monkeyleg and sm on the phone.

Hope to meet you all. You're buying the ammo and dinner, right?:D

Bazooka Joe71
August 8, 2007, 05:28 PM
Loki fish graduated a year before me from the same high school and exar graduated a year after me...I have yet to meet loki, but exar is one of my shooting buddies...Other than that, I have BS'd on the phone with Ditchtiger a couple of times when I bought a 20rd non detachable commy mag for my sks.

skinnyguy
August 8, 2007, 05:37 PM
thefumegator introduced me to THR when he used to work for me (Thanks Wes!). I've met but don't really know DocFubar and w.clark (went to his CCW course), and I've met a couple of other people who's nicknames I didn't get.

bigun15
August 8, 2007, 05:38 PM
I've never met anyone from this board. I'd love to go to the national get together but I have numerous problems: School is back in session, work (a common one), I would have to save for a very long time to have enough for a plane ticket there and back, plus I'm not 18, I have no guns of my own to contribute, and finally I'd have to get my parents behind it. Whew, maybe in a few years guys.

Then again it's amazing enough to find a person who likes guns here in California, so asking God to send me a THR member might be getting kinda greedy.

Arkie
August 8, 2007, 05:56 PM
I've met quite a few THR members at the get together in Raton this year. I had fun meeting everyone that went and getting to know them.

You haven't lived until you tried Sandy's Salsa, MarshallDodge's wife's oatmeal and butterscotch cookies,and listen to the wonderful stories from Art!

Now that makes a wonderful weekend. oh, and lots of shooting too. LOL.

TexKettering
August 8, 2007, 06:05 PM
I haven't met anyone yet, but I hope to meet up with some of you for a meet or a shoot possibly.

MD_Willington
August 8, 2007, 08:26 PM
I know a few people here from other forums, mainly computer forums...

you know us geeks with guns.. lol

I'd love to get a bunch of people together, especially if I could also get our friends from ATK to bring some "engineering samples"

eliphalet
August 8, 2007, 08:47 PM
Gosh no one,
maybe best,
I don't play well with others, I think sometimes I am to out spoken and tend to turn folks off. I could say I am a cantankerous old fart but I have been this way all my life. Heck sometime even I don't like me much.
There are some folks on here I kinda like though, and I surely would enjoy watching Zak and friends do some of that long range shooting.

scout26
August 8, 2007, 09:00 PM
I sponsored LoadedDrum and got him into my club. Other then him, no one.

I'd like to make the get together next year.

blackhawk2000
August 8, 2007, 10:28 PM
I know 1 regular, 1 new semi regular, and several onesy twosies.

10 Ring Tao
August 8, 2007, 10:29 PM
From this forum? I've personally met about 5.

CU74
August 9, 2007, 12:29 AM
When you hit 200 (posts):
Everybody shows up at your house, drinks your beer, shoots your guns and critiques your ninja gear.

DAMN. Now I've got to start counting my posts and saving up to buy beer.....

ArfinGreebly
August 9, 2007, 12:59 AM
Not everyone who walks the walk has a high post count.

I've met one whose idea of fun is 10mm and stuff up in the .308 to 7.62x54R range. Paraphrasing: a "recoil junkie." Our ilcylic is the real deal. And he's better at my day job than I am. Just don't tell him that.

I've also met gunsmith, who lives in my area and who has more shooting experience than I.

Looking forward to meeting other Nevadans and, eventually, some of the guys in Utah/Idaho/Montana.

Heck, some of you from CA wanna come over the hill, dinner's on me.

Tony50ae
August 9, 2007, 01:29 AM
Well I am fairly new here but is anybody from Hawaii? I did originate from Chicago many moons ago.:)

XD Fan
August 9, 2007, 02:18 AM
I often wonder if people I see at local gun stores might be members.

Guitargod1985
August 9, 2007, 02:28 AM
Well I don't know anyone from THR IRL, but I wouldn't be opposed to meeting some of you fine folks and going shooting some weekend. I was pretty tempted to drive 200 miles to go shooting with .cheese. and those folks in South Florida, but I had to work OT that weekend to make up for some hours missed the previous week. By the way, if anyone in Central Florida wants to go shooting sometime, PM me or send me an e-mail.

skinnyguy
August 9, 2007, 08:30 AM
Tony50ae - I lived in Wahiawa about 17 years ago, on the Navy Base there.

PT140
August 9, 2007, 09:41 AM
I know RH822. He and I do a lot of shooting together.

buck00
August 9, 2007, 10:11 AM
If there was a big THR event- like a big convention and shooting fest somewhere on a weekend, maybe I'd go out of curiosity.

I get the feeling we like interacting and talking here about our hobby but beyond that not many people are looking to make new pals. I know I'm not. I don't even have time to see my real friends to go shooting. :)

Legionnaire
August 9, 2007, 11:29 AM
Are you sure?

Cause I've gotta tell ya, it really looks like a triangle with antlers.
I'll shut up about this after this post, but that was sort of my point. Hobo signs were designed to communicate with other hobos in an unobtrusive, less than obvious way. I like the symbol because it leaves the uninitiated scratching their heads, and it's a little less "in your face" than "Molon Labe." I could be just as happy with a T-Shirt that simply had a nice "THR" graphic.

Point is, if we adopted a common logo and sported it when visiting the range or the local gunshop, we'd have a way to recognize other THR denizens on sight. But then, maybe some of us don't WANT to be recognized! :D

Sorry for the hi-jack. Shutting up.

exar
August 9, 2007, 11:40 AM
Point is, if we adopted a common logo and sported it when visiting the range or the local gunshop, we'd have a way to recognize other THR denizens on sight.

You can buy THR gear. I have a t-shirt, hoodie, and a cap that all sport THR or Molon Labe logos.

TonyStarks
August 9, 2007, 11:41 AM
I don't know anyone from THR personally. But if anyone is ever in south Florida, give me a shout!

Heavy Metal Hero
August 9, 2007, 12:03 PM
Have not met anyone yet in Tampa or Pasco county.

RH822
August 9, 2007, 04:52 PM
I know PT140, as he already stated we do a lot of shooting together and trading and arguing. Being my friend, God bless him, he puts up with a lot.

Action_Can_Do
August 10, 2007, 03:52 PM
Have you folks met each other? Do you know the mods at TFL? Or is it simply that you know each other via this site?

Bazooka Joe71
August 10, 2007, 04:15 PM
I often wonder if people I see at local gun stores might be members.

I do too...

Anyone live in Southern Indiana?

Member of Izaak Walton?

Frequent Whittaker guns?(in owensboro, KY)

And I'm not talking about you exar...

Tony50ae
August 10, 2007, 04:28 PM
Skinnyguy,

You left before I got to Hawaii I see. I arrived here in 1995 via the Army. Got out and stayed here since. Too bad your still not here, would be cool to meet another THR member.

Kurt S.
August 10, 2007, 08:46 PM
I wish I could get to know more folks on THR, but I hardly have time to spend with friends I have now. I know there's a boatload of THR folks here in the Houston area. I probably pass a bunch of y'all at the gun shows at Brown and Reliant, and up in Conroe and down in Pasadena.

We try to get out to the Big Bend region as much as we can, and I'm sure I've passed Art Eatman on the Terlingua Ranch Road. I think we have some mutual acquaintances as well out there.

We get up to SW Indiana and Central Kentucky every summer also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who do you know?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!