Interesting tidbit

PDA

zahc
July 2, 2003, 03:50 PM
In Discover magazine there is a table showing the different causes of death and all that. The symbol for the homicide category is a Beretta. Struck me as odd since I am abnormal in associating handguns with pleasure instead of distain.

How many homicides are guns used in again?

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting tidbit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
willyjixx
July 2, 2003, 04:57 PM
skull an crossbones was to trendy???

PC pukes for yah

para.2
July 2, 2003, 06:37 PM
:scrutiny: Yeah! I remember a few weeks/months back, the local TV newscast was "reporting" on a homicide that had just occurred. A stabbing. The icon behind the talking head was a snubby revolver!:what: :fire:

zahc
July 2, 2003, 06:39 PM
hehe

4v50 Gary
July 2, 2003, 06:44 PM
The dogs of the media know very well that the visual image commands much more attention than the spoken word. They want you to make an analogy between guns & crime. Homicide, was we know, may be attributed to other instrumentalities including knives, blunt objects (bats, sticks, pool cues), fists/feet, asphixiation, and motor vehicles.

QuarterBoreGunner
July 2, 2003, 08:13 PM
4v50 nailed it; firearms (at least in the media) have become so vilified that they become the default symbol for 'violent death or mayhem' news stories.

Always cheeses me off when there is a shooting somewhere and immediately the TV news put up their generic M16/AR15 graphic, as if to imply that, 'well of course that's what those evil rifles are designed for' . When the Beltway snipers were terrorizing the area I prayed that the weapon was some old single shot or bolt action type rifle- 'please please please don't let it be an AR'

Not that I have anything against bolt guns, but the mil type stuff has had enough bad press.

BallisticTip
July 2, 2003, 09:16 PM
Just like the local news, got to have a pic of an evil gun, up in the corner.

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting tidbit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!