Selling to an individual

PDA

Bravo11
August 7, 2007, 05:16 PM
I'm about to sell a handgun to an individual.
It will probably be a cash exchange.
Will I have to arrange some paper work?

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling to an individual" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
igpoobah
August 7, 2007, 05:21 PM
No, but you need to determine that they are an Arkansas resident and ask them if there is any reason that they are not allowed to own a gun.

Might wanna (at least) get the guys name so if the cops ever come looking for your gun, you know where to direct them. A bill of sale for your own records is even better.

Bravo11
August 7, 2007, 05:53 PM
I was curious about what to do about the registration when I purchased the gun and how it gets transfered.

kellyj00
August 7, 2007, 05:59 PM
bravo11: from what I've heard, the fed can't regulate intra-state transactions. What i've heard.

Also, what I've heard... the paperwork is all part of the FFL transaction deal. if you buy an FFL's personal firearm, and you are both residents of the same state, then you don't need the paperwork.

Bravo11
August 7, 2007, 06:03 PM
That sounds like what I've heard but if the handgun is used in a crime and they track the gun to me. Then what?

CountGlockula
August 7, 2007, 06:33 PM
Sorry I'm confused: Are you doing the selling or buying?

Bravo11-That sounds like what I've heard but if the handgun is used in a crime and they track the gun to me. Then what?

Then you'll have to retract the sale of the firearm to make sure that YOU didn't use it in a crime.

MillerTimeLV
August 7, 2007, 06:44 PM
I know in Nevada it works like this...
I sell my gun to my friend. He takes the gun to the local police department office and they verify the serial number, register it, and give him the blue card for it. This is a free service.
SOME people at the police office will ask where you got it from... if you bought it from someone, they MIGHT ask for a receipt signed by a notary.

M2 Carbine
August 7, 2007, 07:00 PM
Bravo11
That sounds like what I've heard but if the handgun is used in a crime and they track the gun to me. Then what?

This seems to scare many people but in fact nothing happens.

A detective called me about a gun of mine that had been used in a killing, some months after I got rid of it.
The conversation took all of about ten minutes in which I told the detective I no longer had the gun and didn't know who did.
The detective didn't offer any information on the killing.
So, we didn't have a lot to talk about.:)

You just must be certain that you follow all state/local rules concerning gun sales between individuals.

NavyLCDR
August 7, 2007, 07:10 PM
"Bravo11 That sounds like what I've heard but if the handgun is used in a crime and they track the gun to me. Then what? "

It's a good idea to do a two-part bill-of-sale. It should list the buyer, seller, description of gun, serial number of gun, date and ammount paid. You sign the receipt for the money, saying you received it from the purchaser and give that to them. They sign the receipt for the gun and you keep that one. Then if you are questioned later, you have proof the gun was sold and when and who bought it.

brett30030
August 7, 2007, 07:34 PM
I always do a bill of sale on any buy/sell that i do. i make certain that i have the info on the person from there DL, and that we both have the info on the bill of sale. i would post the bill of sale that i made for individual firearm sales, but my laptop crashed and i lost everything. If someone is not willing to do a bill of sale, i never even meet with them.

aka108
August 7, 2007, 10:49 PM
Friend of mine is a gunsmith and all sales I have made go through him. If I were to do a private sale I'd get all info on the individual from his or her drivers license or no sale. Best to have something to CYA in any case.

Gary G23
August 8, 2007, 07:03 AM
I would keep a record of the sale even though it is not required where I currently live. I have had the BATF contact me about guns I have owned that ended up being used in a crime and it is nice to have somewhere to send them I think.

Steve C
August 8, 2007, 02:42 PM
Its interesting that people who in general despise gun control are quite willing to go beyond the legal requirements of a sale and do the very things that the anti's want them to do. IE record sales and register weapons.:confused:

Bravo11
August 8, 2007, 04:48 PM
I would still like to go above and beyond to insure that nothing come backs to haunt me. Every day law abiding citizens get in trouble for things that they shouldn't. It never hurts to CYA, even though you shouldn't have to.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling to an individual" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!