One final safe question regarding finishes, hardware

PDA

Greywolf
August 7, 2007, 06:54 PM
The AMSEC safe I am looking at can either come with "bold zinc die cast polished brass or chrome".

http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safe-hardware.htm

Any real differences between the to with regards to longevity, ease of cleaning and polishing, etc.? Or is it just cosmetic?

If you enjoyed reading about "One final safe question regarding finishes, hardware" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eyesac
August 7, 2007, 07:09 PM
I would think chrome was the better of the two, but I can't see either ever wearing through... Brass might tarnish eventually I guess. Flip a coin.

VARifleman
August 7, 2007, 07:43 PM
if it's solid brass it can be buffed back to a shine rather easily if you keep on top of it. Chrome on the other hand, once it's worn through, it has to be replated.

CB900F
August 7, 2007, 10:43 PM
Greywolf;

I'd suggest reading it again. I read it as a flash plate of brass on a zinc die-cast base. Chrome plate is chrome plate, some thicker, some thinner. I'm betting thinner.

Is the unit you're looking at an AMSEC LP series?

900F

Greywolf
August 7, 2007, 11:35 PM
CB900F - actually I am getting the BF 6030 safe, not the LP.

If you enjoyed reading about "One final safe question regarding finishes, hardware" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!