6.5/06 Anyone have or use one?

PDA

Snapping Twig
August 7, 2007, 06:02 PM
I was in the right place at the right time when one got traded in at the old S.F. Gun Exchange @ 15 years back.

Mine is a Remington 700 with a Hart SS competition barrel. I was told it has a twist of something like 1 in 9" and wasn't good for heavy bullets. Shoots 120g Ballistic Tips pretty good and one day I am going to try some 140g BT's.

I dropped it into a McMillan stock and put a Leuopold Vari-X III on it and it makes a fine hunting rifle.

What do you think of this cartridge and what do you shoot it in?

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5/06 Anyone have or use one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
savage sam
August 7, 2007, 06:25 PM
but the Gun Exchange was a kick-butt store! i picked up a Savage 99 there. was sad to see it go.

gipperdog
August 7, 2007, 08:40 PM
First off - A 1 in 9" twist should be fine for most any bullet you'll want to fire from it. Example - most 22-250's have a 1 in 14" twist & theoretically should not stabilize heavier bullets very well, but should shoot up to 55 grainers fine. Most AR15's in .223 have much tighter twists. Mine has a 1 in 8" twist. That should be fine with bullets up to 75 grains, maybe more. Your rifle should be fine with bullets up to 160 grainers.
Second - a 6.5x06 is a great caliber. I don't have one but my dad has a 6.5x284 & they are quite similar - ballistically speaking, with the 6.5x06 being just a bit faster with comperable bullets & barrel lengths.
Sounds like you have a great set up there. Good Luck!

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5/06 Anyone have or use one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!