700 triggers for 721?

PDA

Outlaws
August 7, 2007, 11:47 PM
So do triggers assemblies for the 700 fit the 721 without any modifications?

If you enjoyed reading about "700 triggers for 721?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Essex County
August 8, 2007, 01:13 PM
It's been a long time, but I believe it's a go. Maybe a Remington expert will chime in on this one.......Essex

Strongbad
August 8, 2007, 08:38 PM
Negative Ghostrider. Not a go. The safety is different. I toyed with the idea for a while since I have a spare 700 trigger, but it was not worth it. There's a reason hardly anyone does it... :)

Pardon... now that I went and eyeballed my 721 again... if memory serves you have to bend some sh$$ around. The key is the ball detent location for the safety lever. Also, the 700 safety lever rides in a cutout on the side of the reciever. The 721 does not.

Outlaws
August 8, 2007, 09:39 PM
Would it be possible if I transfered the safety level to the new trigger so it was the right shape? I like the flat 721 safety switch feel better than the round cylinder style on the 700 anyway.

fatelk
August 8, 2007, 11:24 PM
Been there, done that. It's been years so I don't remember exactly how we made it fit, but I don't remember it being that difficult. I just remember it having a much better trigger afterwards.

Strongbad
August 8, 2007, 11:51 PM
Unless your 700 trigger has been changed, they should be the same size. You can't move the 721 safety lever to the 700 housing because of the aforementioned ball detent location. You have to keep the factory 700 safety and either machine the reciever or bend the crap out of the safety lever. Those are the first things you'll have to take care of. I'm trying to think of what else you're going to have an issue with but that's the bulk of it.

Do you just want the 721 trigger adjusted properly? If that's all, I would either work it over or have a gunsmith do it. You should be able to get it tuned up nicely without a lot of fuss.

Outlaws
August 9, 2007, 12:05 AM
Do you just want the 721 trigger adjusted properly? If that's all, I would either work it over or have a gunsmith do it. You should be able to get it tuned up nicely without a lot of fuss.

Basically. I experimented with it a little. I had a few times where slowly pulling the trigger would cause the trigger feel like it pulled, but it didn't, and a further very heavy pull that didn't really move the trigger would finally cause it to go off. Note: This is all with snap-caps.

I think I got it good, but still uneasy about it a bit. I added a little lock tight to the screws and have done about 50 dry fires of various trigger pull styles (slow, fast, etc) and have hit it against the ground and rammed the bolt closed. So far no dry fire ND's, but for a hunting rifle, its still in my mind.

I haven't had the best experience with gun smiths so far...especially with trigger work. Everyone these days seems to think its all about the ounces. I just want a clean break with a moderate 2lb +/- trigger. :) Its a 30-06 hunting rifle with iron sights. The only other mod I might do is a peep sight.

Outlaws
August 9, 2007, 01:21 AM
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RemingtonTriggers.asp

I just used that method from another current thread, and all I can say is wow.

I don't have a scale, but I will be buying one. I got this sucker set really good for a factory trigger. Especially since I bought this thing for about $250 a couple years ago.

There is a slight creep before it breaks, but if I adjust the trigger stop screw any more I can't pull the trigger. I really like it. I will mess with it more tomorrow, but so far so good.

Strongbad
August 9, 2007, 09:03 AM
Glad to hear it. I think you'll be happier with that more so thant doing a 700 swap, based on sheer pain i.t.a. factor. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "700 triggers for 721?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!