Safari

PDA

DrLaw
August 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
This weekend my 12 year-old son and I went on a safari.

We managed to bag some lions, bears, camels and other animals, in red, blue and green. :what:

What's that you say? Camels? Red, blue and green? :eek:

Yep. Try this one on for size. An Animal Cracker Safari. Simple targets that 'interact'. Just hot glue animal crackers onto a stiff piece of cardboard.

We use this at the club for a .22 rifle shoot, but it was just as good at home for sighting in the scope on a pellet gun.

What made this a great thing for me was getting my son interested in shooting - again. It has been an on and off thing with him, as he switches from basketball to track to baseball and back again. Shooting with him was fun and fulfilling. :D

Thought I would pass this along for other Dads out there competing, too, for their son's attention.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Safari" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deer Hunter
August 8, 2007, 10:30 AM
Haha, sounds like a great time. I think the only thing I ate for a few years of my life were Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwhiches and Animal crackers, washed down with apple juice of course.

You think PETA will be after you now? A pellet gun on a hippo seems unsporting, to say the least.

Houston Tom
August 8, 2007, 01:45 PM
Last time I tried to go on Safari the zoo keepers ran me out ;)

paintballdude902
August 8, 2007, 01:51 PM
Last time I tried to go on Safari the zoo keepers ran me out

hehehe the san diego wild animal park didnt like me climbing the fence with my rifle

DrLaw
August 8, 2007, 04:34 PM
The little animal crackers did not cry or whine or anything like that. They were interactive in that they would crumble off the cardboard. One thing though, target pellets tended to make a nice little wadcutter hole in them!

When you think of the cost and ease of doing this, and the practice that you can get at home, this becomes a fun project. :D

Another thing is that these cookies stay good for a long time on the boards, without insects or anything bothering them.

Geno
August 8, 2007, 04:45 PM
Doc:

That's great! :cool:

As we all know, time with our children, is time with our children. I started my daughter young! Even though my wife (born & raised in Chile) diagreed, I asserted the Constitution! I raised her pro-firearms, pro 2nd, pro Constitution. It is her "birth-right"! She is proud, and I mean proud, that she has the biggest, most extensive firearms collection of all her classmates, and likely more than all of them combined!

Back to your safari...best of luck, and get that rhino too. Don't stop 'til you bag the "Big 5"!

Doc2005 :)

phantomak47
August 8, 2007, 05:15 PM
Why are you shooting defenseless animals for sport? I am calling PETA right now....

DrLaw
August 8, 2007, 07:41 PM
phantomak47 said "Why are you shooting defenseless animals for sport? I am calling PETA right now...."

(sigh):(

And I thought this was The High Road. Now I have to contend with Pita. :uhoh:

Come to think of it, one of those shapes might have been a rhino. If so, we got them all.

K.L.O.sako
August 8, 2007, 07:51 PM
thats the coolest thing i've heard for a long time concerning kids and marksmanship. good thinking doc.

Jubjub
August 8, 2007, 07:57 PM
The last time I bought a box of Animal Crackers I had to return it. The seal was broken. :D

Deer Hunter
August 8, 2007, 08:24 PM
Jub jub, that makes me smile. :) Gotta remember that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safari" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!