TSA moving to the streets

PDA

F4GIB
August 8, 2007, 10:58 AM
They've done such a good job at Airports that they have extra manhours to spend in bus "stops." Are trains next? Gas stations near the Interstate highway?

TSA Checks Indianapolis Bus Riders For Weapons: Screeners from the Transportation Security Administration checked passengers at two Downtown city bus stops this morning, looking for firearms, weapons and suspicious behavior… "It's called Visual Intermodal Prevention Response. We have plainclothes inspectors, blue-gloved uniformed security officers who are checking baggage, the behavior detection officers, and federal air marshals, which are the law enforcement arm of TSA. *** TSA said the searches were “by-permission,” meaning patrons could decline to be checked. Those who did would not be turned away, an official said, unless they otherwise appeared to be a security threat."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070802/LOCAL/70802006

"By-permission" is government code for saying that the TSA has NO AUTHORITY to engage in this publicity stunt. It's just Big Brother stretching his muscles.

If you enjoyed reading about "TSA moving to the streets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sturmgewehr
August 8, 2007, 11:10 AM
Wow, so if you're packing a bomb you could just say "no thanks" to the search. Gee, brilliant... why do they waste our time and money?

230RN
August 8, 2007, 11:10 AM
TSA said the searches were “by-permission,” meaning patrons could decline to be checked. Those who did would not be turned away, an official said, unless they otherwise appeared to be a security threat."

So if I appear to be a security threat (ponytail, skull ring, pentagram ring, pool cue case) and I still decline to be searched, but I insist on getting on the bus.... what then?

Guess what, girls and boys. The jihadists have won. This is no longer America.

Lucky
August 8, 2007, 11:14 AM
I no longer blame the gov't. After seeing how many people blindly throw their freedoms away I feel that ignorance is no excuse, it's the people's fault, gov't is just taking advantage of their extreme credulity.

Big Calhoun
August 8, 2007, 11:23 AM
Well, it's a step up from the NYC program that was/is operating in the subways and you would get turned away if you declined a search. :rolleyes:

All I want to know is, is there a market for professional name creators...I mean, Visual Intermodal Prevention Response a/k/a VIPeR. Someone got to add that to their accomplishments for the year! :neener:

Blackfork
August 8, 2007, 11:27 AM
Every day, we get the choice between slavery and rebellion, and so far, everyone pretty much OK with slavery.

george29
August 8, 2007, 11:28 AM
"Patriots" appears to be more of a sad prophesy coming true than just a crackpot novel. Shukran (sarcastically written) to all the AmeriKans that destroyed America.

benEzra
August 8, 2007, 11:40 AM
Notice the aggressive acronym, anybody?

Visual Intermodal Prevention Response

VIPR ("Viper")

"Bad to the bone" and all that, I guess. (And it's pretty darn obvious that the phrase was coined to fit the acronym, and not the other way around.)

joab
August 8, 2007, 11:45 AM
Visual Intermodal Prevention Response a/k/a VIPeR. Someone got to add that to their accomplishments for the year!But the guy that was able to come up with an alternate for "Intimidation" got the free beer
They had to leave out the "and cause that spelled would Vipar wrong

ServiceSoon
August 8, 2007, 02:20 PM
Does anybody remember the forth amendment....The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Based on my interpretation of the fourth amendment I don't think the American government has the legal authority to search me before I board an airplane let alone a private bus. When the gov does this it causes many problems. Everybody agrees this is a problem, but you have to offer a solution or the gov will and arguably has a duty to intervene.

However, the constitution doesn’t restrict the airlines from performing these searches. It might seem like an insignificant detail if the airlines are responsible for their security instead of the gov, but I believe it to be a very important detail. What do you think?

Let the consumer decide. Example: You want to carry your gun on an airplane? Then fly Delta because no other airlines will allow it. Instead we have a federal law that prohibits anybody from carrying guns on airplanes…unless you are a mall ninja Air Marshall. :p

hso
August 8, 2007, 02:24 PM
Appropriate for L&P, whenever it's fumagated and reopened.

If you enjoyed reading about "TSA moving to the streets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!