Warranty questions for XD or MP9

PDA

Quoheleth
August 8, 2007, 11:57 AM
As I daydream about getting a new-to-me auto one of these days :rolleyes: ...

Anyone have any experience with customer service/warranty work with Springfield Armory for their XD pistol series or with Smith for their new MP? I understand Smith has been pretty good about getting MPs fixed (i.e. mag drop issues, etc.). What about XDs - any problems you know about?

What about if I am not the original owner of the pistol? I'm not buying yet, but window shopping and hope to be able to find one of these two fine guns in used but good condition. Will warranty privileges transfer to me?

Thanks,
Quoheleth

If you enjoyed reading about "Warranty questions for XD or MP9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Houston Tom
August 8, 2007, 12:21 PM
I have an XD compact 45. Now I have not had it long but I have put a few rounds through it and have had no problems at all. I was turned onto the XD by a friend that is of like mind as us. ANd he loves the XD and even has several in different Cals

Good luck

DoubleTapDrew
August 8, 2007, 03:22 PM
What about XDs - any problems you know about?

The earlier XDs had a little bit of a problem with the finish wearing or being too thin and light rust forming on the slide. My xd9sc has it but the reddish hue is only visible under certain lighting conditions at certain angles.
I contacted Springfield and they said no problem, send the slide to them, they'll refinish it under warranty and send it back (and I'm not the orig. owner). I'm not sure when they corrected the slide finish (a couple years ago I think) issue but they have a tougher coating now, and refinish the ones sent in in the better coating.

Shadowangel
August 8, 2007, 03:32 PM
I bought an XD-9 in the V-10 ported model. Between the two slots cut in the slide for the porting, there was a really thin part of the slide. After about 1000 rounds, this part of the slide cracked, right behind the front sight. I called springfield.. they paid for shipping both ways and had a brand new gun to me in two weeks. Not just that, but they also replaced the ported model for a normal service model at my request, AND included all of the accessories again, so I ende dup getting 2 free mags out of the deal. They were extremely polite and friendly.. I definitely recommend Springfield's customer service.

Quoheleth
August 8, 2007, 04:38 PM
Sounds like, from what I have heard, I wind up a winner either way I would be able to go!!!

I'm rolling my quarters...I can get either an MP9 or a XD9, new, for $450. I'm hoping I can find a good used one for $300-350, or find someone who wants a Taurus PT92 in trade. I love my Taurus, but the DA-SA thing drives me nuts. I want to carry it CCW some day, and I know my DA shooting leaves something to be desired. Carrying it C&L makes me a bit nervous...the manual even says "Thou shalt not...unless you are LE."

I did find a 3" SP101 in great shape for $320 or so earlier this summer. I thought I had the deal sewn up, but had to back out at the last minute - car trouble demanded the $$ instead. The guy said he would give me the same deal if I came up with the cash before it was sold. But, then I'm back to the DA thing (this is not the DAO model, so I could cock it for each shot if necessary).

Whatcha think of these three choices? Remember: I'm not there yet, but if you were in my shoes, which would your sights be set on? I like them all...but the "buy one of each" ain't in the cards.

Q

Omaney
August 8, 2007, 05:48 PM
All three are good/great pistols. I own an M&P40 and am very impressed with it. A friend has the XD and I am impressed with it. I prefer the M&P ergos. Get whichever feels better to you. Either will be the right choice.

Autolycus
August 10, 2007, 01:21 AM
Look into the HK P2000 as well for a great polymer gun.

Quoheleth
August 10, 2007, 07:48 AM
Would love a HK as well as a SIG, but the budget won't allow it. Great guns, but out of my price range.

I've found both the MP and XD in the HOuston area for $450 (new). I hope to find one used for $350 or so. I want to trade my Taurus and hopefuly get it down to where I only have to put $150 cash or so into the deal.

At least, that's my hope...:rolleyes:

scubie02
August 10, 2007, 08:00 AM
yep, as mentioned, the only really common problem with xd's was on some of the early ones with finish wear (only on the blued/blacked one, not the two tone) and SA will gladly refinish any of those if you have that problem. The newer ones use a melonite finish and that is no longer an issue. I have two very early xd 9's and the finish has worn somewhat on the compact model from carrying it in a coat pocket when I walk the dog, but it's not a big enough deal for me to bother sending it back. If it gets bad enough someday maybe I'll bother. Just bought an xd 40 I'll hopefully be able to get to the range next week sometime. Have not had a single failure with either of the 9's, and the service model in particular is shockingly accurate for a service type weapon--rivals my 1911's. The subcompact is also a bit above average in accuracy. Both are extremely easy for me to shoot well, fast and accurately.

As far as the M&P's--there seemed to be a fair amount of posts around early on with some teething problems, but I don't seem to see those very much anymore so I assume they have been worked out. I do own a couple of their 1911's and they are excellent pistols, and Smith's customer service gets the same rave reviews as Springfield's these days. Actually, I'd say those two companies probably have the best two reps in the business in that regard these days.

Gary G23
August 10, 2007, 08:10 AM
Here's a novel thought. Buy one that you won't have to ship back for warranty work. Have you priced shipping handguns lately? It can be very expensive.

If you buy new you can avoid a lot of problems that the earlier versions of the guns had. For instance:

My latest XD has a lot of changes from my first one. The finish is MUCH better. It has the new style extractor. It has the relief cuts in the locking block. It has a one piece barrel. It is more durable and reliable than my earlier XD's.

The earliest M&P's also had issues. That is why I waited for a "Revision N" M&P before I bought.

I always look at the big picture instead of initial cost when I make a purchase.

Quoheleth
August 10, 2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the advice re. caution when buying used. I know that first generations - especially the MPs - had some issues. I DO want to avoid those. Will S&W's and SA's websites be able to tell me the various "generations" of their pistols? Or do I need to find an outside source?

Buying a used pistol (especially in this price range) isn't like buying a used car - I won't save HUGE chunks of change. Maybe I'll just go the new route and save the wonder, "Is this a good one?" But if I could save $100...what can I say...that's a lot of ammo!!!

Q

FieroCDSP
August 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
Quoheleth, If you're going full-sized M&P, any of the Revision "N" frames should be problem free all around. Simply remove the slide and check the frame under the barrel. You should see "REV. N" on there. Also, the general consensus is that the MPE+ serial #'s were a good reference point for which were the problems (earlier, esp MPA) and not (later models). Don't give more than $300-350 for one of these early models. As a few have said here, M&P's were recently being sold for $399 in some places. It wouldn't hurt to look around more. In my area, they're now going for $439.

Quoheleth
August 10, 2007, 10:43 AM
I know Buds guns (online) had a special for a while for $399. I'm keeping an eye out for good deals. I have a buddy whos an HPD officer, and sometimes he has access to good deals, too, that the general public doesn't know about.

Where about in the SN#s did Smith get the MPs fixed?

I like the XD - especially the "triple" safety feature, particularly the grip safety. Makes it that much more difficult for an uninitiated to fire accidentally.

I also like the MP - especially the different backstraps. As a person with smaller hands, that is a nice feature.

Honestly, it's a tossup. Both triggers are acceptable. It'll be about the $$ more than anything else - who has the best deal.

Q

tydephan
August 10, 2007, 05:05 PM
I recently shipped my M&P9c back to the factory for a faulty magazine release.

Smith paid for next day air shipping both ways. Smith fixed the problem. Smith added a nice set of night sights to the gun for my trouble and had it back in my hands in 9 days.

I'm not saying Smith is better than Springfield. I've read many counts of SA paying for shipping both ways for warranty work as well.

Just relaying my experience.

If you enjoyed reading about "Warranty questions for XD or MP9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!