What is your most vivid gun moment?

PDA

strat81
August 8, 2007, 01:02 PM
What is your most vivid gun moment? Scary, fun, positive, negative, good, or bad...

For me, it's a toss-up: either the first time I went shooting, which was at a fun shoot at my FIL's gun club. I'm from NYC... so the thought of the citizenry shooting guns en masse was quite foreign! Or, it was the first time I shot a .460 S&W revolver. Imagine holding an M-80 in your hand and lighting the fuse and still holding on to it!

If you enjoyed reading about "What is your most vivid gun moment?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Engel
August 8, 2007, 01:05 PM
The first time I shot at a deer. I was in the everglades with my dad on his swamp buggy. I was about 4 or 5 years old. I'm not sure what kind of rifle he had, maybe a 30-30. I aimed perfectly and knew I was going to hit that deer. It was probably 150 yds away. Of course I missed but my dad told me that I hit him and he ran off. I was so proud of that.

Joey_the_Wolf
August 8, 2007, 01:21 PM
Probably the first time I fired a 1911 pistol. It was about 3 years ago and I had just turned 18. It was my first actual range trip too, at a nice quiet outdoor range outside of Hershey PA, and after shooting a handgun for the first time and doing well with it (an H&K VP70), the guy I was with pulled out a genuine GI WWII era 1911A1. He told me the story of how he got it (He's an older guy and was an Army officer). He found the frame at the bottom of a pond in Ft. Benning, and the slide was an Ithica slide, and he had it since the late 50s. It was a genuine, well worn, gray parkerized WWII era 1911. Wow... I drooled. When he put that in my hand I could just feel the history of the pistol (I'm a huge history buff), and immediately fell in love with the 1911 mystique. Best of all, even though the pistol was old enough to be my grandfather, it still shot tight groups and felt very smooth. That's gotta be the fondest firearms related memory I have.

A close second for "vivid moment" was a few months ago at an indoor range. There I was, with my own 1911, and 9mm Beretta, just minding my business, blasting away with a friend, and all of a sudden I hear BOOOOOOOOOM!. Sounded like a flashbang.... You could feel it in your gut too. Turns out the person in the lane next to me was shooting an S&W 500.... in an indoor range. Needless to say he had a huge grin on his face, and so did I :)
Also, I didn't hear very well for the rest of the evening, hahahaha.

elenius
August 8, 2007, 01:26 PM
First time I shot a rifle, 10 years ago. I was doing the mandatory military training back in Sweden, and I was shooting the AK5 (FNC). The ka-chunk of the gun cycling, the slight shove into my shoulder, the smell of gunpowder. Aaah :)

Gunbabe
August 8, 2007, 01:31 PM
The first time I shot a gun was about two years ago. I was always against them til my husband brought them into the home and I figured I better learn what to do. When we walked into the range I picked up my gun and thought what the heck am I doing I can't return this thing. As soon as I fired it I loved it and still do. I wish more ppl that were against guns had a chance to be around them and then make their mind up not just from crap that they hear.

hankdatank1362
August 8, 2007, 02:07 PM
My first, and last, ND.

Omaney
August 8, 2007, 02:11 PM
First deer I shot. Used a Marlin in .35 Rem. at 80 or so yards...she dropped without so much as a twitch. Delicious.

igpoobah
August 8, 2007, 02:16 PM
Step brother loaded an old BP pistol 'hot' and gave it to me, I was about 5 or 6. I wound up on my butt.

doubleg
August 8, 2007, 02:19 PM
One of the first times I went shooting my cousin brought his Desert Eagle 44, Tec-9 (pre-ban), Norinco AK, Russian SKS, Glock 17L, and I brought my beat up old Taurus PT-99. We spent the whole day trying to cut a tree in the bottom of his yard down. I've been hooked ever since. :D

target1911
August 8, 2007, 02:22 PM
The first time I shot a gun. I was at grand-pa's at about the age of 6. He handed me his single shot 410 and gave no instrution on how to hold it. I had my BB guns so I had an idea...LOL....I aimed at the paper plate, pulled the trigger, and nearly ended up on my but. It was at a family gathering so EVERYONE got a laugh at my expense.

#2 When Grand-pa gave me the Remington Speedmaster 22 that my parents got him for his B-Day when I was 2.

#3 My first dear. A nice 10 pt Buck at 25yds.

springmom
August 8, 2007, 02:28 PM
When I shot my first deer. 215 yards, DRT, and I swear, time just turned to molasses as I watched him fall, watched him try to rise and then just lay his head down.

That was a good day.

Springmom

tydephan
August 8, 2007, 02:38 PM
Camp Perry - when I was 12.

Two fun days of range time with ARs and 1911s.

Gator
August 8, 2007, 03:05 PM
Getting shot at was pretty vivid, fortunately they missed, getting hit would have been even more vivid. :eek:

Desk Jockey
August 8, 2007, 03:07 PM
I have lots of better memories, but this one's the most vivid.

No one saw it happen, and I've never told anyone about it until this post. I'm ashamed to admit it now, even though this occurred almost 35 years ago.

I was 12 years old on my first deer hunt, sitting in a tree stand at the edge of a field on our property. I'd been shooting and hunting small game since I was 6, had tagged along with my Dad and older brother on previous deer hunts, and had shot a number of groundhogs with my new Model 94 Winchester earlier that year. The safety rules had been drilled into my head, and I was very familiar with my weapon.

But I was 12 years old.

It was late morning on opening day, I'd been in the tree stand with my Dad since before daylight, and we hadn't seen a deer all day. Needless to say, all the excitement of my first opening morning had turned to incredible boredom. My Dad left the stand to walk a loop through the woods trying to kick something up for me. I was playing around with my Model 94, aiming at trees or rocks at various distances and pretending that they were monster whitetails. I caught glimpses of another hunter's orange vest about 200 yards away from me, as he made his way through the trees toward the far end of the field.

In spite of everything I'd been taught and everything I'd practiced for 6 years, I aimed my gun at the orange spot moving through the trees. I imagined trying to shoot a running deer at that distance with my open sights. I knew I was doing something unsafe, and the guilt made me stop after a couple of seconds.

As I took the gun from my shoulder, I was horrified to see that the hammer was fully cocked. I don't recall pulling it back, but I must have done it when I was pretend-shooting one of those rocks. The only safety on that gun was a half-cocked hammer. As I lowered the hammer back to safe, a wave of stomach-churning adrenalin came over me as I realized just how stupid I'd been and how close I was to killing someone by accident. I was still shaking a few minutes later when that someone stepped out of the trees and into the field. It was my brother.

PILMAN
August 8, 2007, 03:08 PM
My first time shooting a gun was about 12 years ago. I was 9 years old and my father taught me to shoot a gun in our basement, it was a pump shotgun.

I hadn't shot guns after that until I was about 19 years old, my friends took me shooting and it was my first time using a handgun (shot a Glock 21).

230RN
August 8, 2007, 04:07 PM
Incoming double on ducks, about halfway between Boulder and Lyons Colorado, about 1968(?).

What made it especially gratifying was not my shooting, but the fact that the young lab named Inge, whom I had personally trained as a field dog, marked them both perfectly, went out and got one, dropped it at my feet, and ran/swam out to get the other and bring it back.

And there were no witnesses.

I still have that dog's ashes, with the urn engraved,

Inge of Valhalla
AKC xxxxxx
A Champion to me

f4t9r
August 8, 2007, 05:02 PM
first time shooting my buddies AR , it was a good time

orygunmike
August 8, 2007, 07:20 PM
When: 1972....I'm 13.
Where: Desert, miles outside of Las Cruces New Mexico
What: Hunting rabbits with my dad and friends.

we are a couple miles from the car hunting rabbits. My dad, 30 yards to my right suddenly leaps, scampers sideways, and curses. Then I hear, "snake!!!"....

He had come upon a nice size rattlesnake laying beneath the shade of a bush...had stepped just a few feet from the snakes head...causing it to stir, rattle, and assume the strike position.

We would had left that snake lying there and moved on, but because another adult and 3 other kids were walking a few hundred yards behind , following us...my dad was afraid they may come upon it and get bitten, he told me to shoot it. I did. I learned that a rattle snake doesn't fair well with a 12 gauge blast of #7 shot from 50'.

But mostly, I was glad my dad didn't get bit.

MIL-DOT
August 8, 2007, 07:30 PM
without thinking too hard to come up with a better one, i'm gonna say parris island, boot camp,spring 1983. qualifying day at the rifle range, it's pouring rain and gusting wind,and i was one of only two (maybe three) guys in the entire company to even qualify. fargin bastages just voided EVERYONE'S score, and had us re-qualify the next day.

mjrodney
August 8, 2007, 08:44 PM
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I had the occasion to confront a fellow who was very close to boosting my semi-custom motorcycle out from under the protected patio and gazeebo next to my home.

Having had a bike one stolen out from under me just a few months ago (different location), and never having recovered it, I was primed for another attempt. SOB, I said, never again.

This time, a new alarm installed, we ended up looking at each other for what seemed like a long time, and then with a last concerned look at the S&W stainless snub in my hand....he bolted into the night for the street.

I always thought that I would have......well, in the end, I didn't. And I'm glad.

I didn't have to. That handgun did it's job, nonetheless.

76shuvlinoff
August 8, 2007, 09:18 PM
most vivid

25 years ago I was 22 yrs old, hanging out with my buddies, chasing girls and generally under the influence.. all at the same time on a bar parking lot. This guy pulls up to ask directions and somehow I was the only one on the driver's side of the car. I don't really know what his plan was but as we were talking he laid the barrel of a nickle plated revolver on the door leveled at my belt buckle. He said "look what I got." I was numb enough to be bold and said, "My buddies behind your car got your plates too." (there were four of them back there) He said "You're right." and drove off. I was drunk my buddies were drunk nobody got a plate number.

I don't drink much anymore, I carry.

bigun15
August 8, 2007, 09:55 PM
Either using an SKS for the first time and it being the first rifle over .22 I ever fired, or using an AK with a buddy in New Mexico. Both great memories. I'll tell ya what though: If you use an AK in a valley outdoors it makes a tremendous thunderous roar that you will never forget. :)

Stevie-Ray
August 8, 2007, 10:24 PM
Probably the most vivid was the first time I touched off my T/C Contender pistol in .45-70. I didn't know the best way to hold it, because I knew it was going to be a hell of a lot worse than the .30-30 barrel I knew and loved. I took a firm hold on the grip and grabbed the forend with the off hand. BOOOOM the gun viciously kicked out of my offhand and ended up practically against my side. This one was no fun at all. After about 10 rounds of Remington 300 gr loads only, I decided to have it Magnaported. Rather than pistol, I elected to have a full rifle job done. It helped.......a little. The blast was, of course, even worse after the port, and precious few of my fellow range enthusiasts seemed interested in shooting whenever I shot it. They were, in fact, downright miffed. I took the hint and don't shoot it anymore and I don't really miss it. It simply wasn't fun.

grampster
August 8, 2007, 10:35 PM
I've had many vivid memories, most of them fun and good. The most vivid though, wasn't fun. Around 1965. We had a man with a gun call at a local tavern. While on the way the call was changed to shots fired. I was a couple blocks away when I saw the a person that met the general description of the gun wielder and he had a long gun in his hand as he walked down the sidewalk.

I called it in and stopped and exited the cruiser. At the same time he was walking rapidly up a driveway between two houses looking at me. I noticed a fence between the houses at the end of the drive. I took an oblique path to the right of the driveway in front of a hedge that blocked both our views of each other and then dropped to my knees and scrambled around the hedge and up to the house. I had my revolver out and I lay prone and crawled to the edge of the house next to the driveway. I figured he wouldn't think that I'd be lying down and he would expect me to be standing and peeking around the house. He couldn't get over the fence. It was too tall. I knew he'd be waiting for me. This all is happening very very rapidly. I lay on my left side and extended my revolver as I looked quickly around the house. I was right. He had his long gun aimed at where he thought I'd show up, high. My revolver was cocked and I had my finger on the trigger and I had him com. I commanded him to drop it. His jaw dropped and his eyes widened and he immediately wheeled away from me and threw the long gun over the fence. Again, this was not a long process, it was over in a couple of heartbeats. It is hard to explain, but I knew I had time to do what I did because of my tactic. Had he not wheeled I would have shot him. I knew I'd have time if he attempted to change where he was aiming.

I have always been grateful that he did what he did in throwing away the long gun. Many of my fellow officers wanted to know why I didn't shoot him. In my heart I knew that I didn't have to, that was why. Again, not easy to explain, just one of those moments when you know you have done the right thing the right way.

Fisherman_48768
August 8, 2007, 10:43 PM
I've been a shooter all my life it seems like but my most memorable shooting event was in Nov 69 while over the Ho Chi Min trail working the vulcans, man those things were noisy. Fireflies coming up were a different perspective than I had ever experienced.

W.E.G.
August 8, 2007, 11:34 PM
1979 - at a campground - got up to take a leak around 0300 - found myself staring straight down a .44... and then being hit in the face with it several times... and ordered to kneel down... and running for my life into the deep dark night - until dawn.

U.S.SFC_RET
August 8, 2007, 11:44 PM
Being in basic training training you are controlled every waking moment of your life to include when you have to take a leak. "drill sergeant I have to take a leak" I says from a shooting foxhole. He being infantry says to me "shoot that 300 yard target and I will let you go" The wind comes from the left at 15 miles an hour so I give it a good 3 foot kaintucky windage to the left and peel off six rounds off lickity split. I never seen his eyes ever get so big, look like saucers. He also didn't know I was from Georgia and from the stix a that. :D

U.S.SFC_RET
August 8, 2007, 11:46 PM
Being in basic training training you are controlled every waking moment of your life to include when you have to take a leak. "drill sergeant I have to take a leak" I says from a shooting foxhole. He being infantry says to me "shoot that 300 yard target and I will let you go" The wind comes from the left at 15 miles an hour so I give it a good 3 foot kaintucky windage to the left and peel off six rounds off lickity split. I never seen his eyes ever get so big, look like saucers. He also didn't know I was from Georgia and from way out yonder in the country at that. :D

Little Loudmouth
August 8, 2007, 11:52 PM
Camp Perry 2007. Shooting first relay and hearing the Anthem playing before the commands began. Shooting third relay in 30+ MPH winds. Winning the Made In America match. Shooting a 99-5X during the Made In America match.

Anything related to Perry in general.

camonympho
August 9, 2007, 12:44 AM
my most memorable would be the shot I never took. Firat deer hunt , I was 8. Old mossberg 410 with slugs. I saw what I was sure was a deer thru some brush and waited for the positive id. Well i got the Id that it was a deer as i saw it running off. But to this day I know I did right in not shooting. This was pre-florecent orange law in cenral pa, where the amish hunted in their all brown coats. But I'll never forget that hunt. I was top of the world huntin with my mom.

MIUper
August 9, 2007, 12:49 AM
I was walking the long way back to camp after the morning hunt on opening day a couple of years ago when I saw a nice big doe cruising though the hardwoods. I pulled up my rifle, swung through and shot. After the shot she started running, she made it about 30 yards and I shot again and she dropped and skidded about 20 feet to a stop on the two track right in front of me. The "vivid" part is that I don't remember working the bolt or thinking about the follow up shot, it just happened. Practice pays off, both shots were fatal. I also bagged a decent buck that afternoon, it was a great day!

Dannavyret
August 9, 2007, 01:02 AM
Getting shot at by Somalis as we pulled out of Moagadishu after Clinton's disasterous leadership in 1994.

cmidkiff
August 9, 2007, 01:08 AM
Watching my 14 year old daughter grin as she emptied a magazine through a thompson sub-machine gun. A close second would be watching my 13 year old daughter pick off a (stationary) clay pigeon with my PTR91 at 100 yards.

Just a proud papa, I guess.

strat81
August 9, 2007, 01:18 AM
I am SO glad I started this thread. All great stories, and they really show how differently firearms can be used.

jfh
August 9, 2007, 01:38 AM
the most vivid moment was when I realized my Glock 20 was missing the top end, and I was wondering if it was imbedded in me....

the most enjoyable moment was when I shot a 50 on the first target with my custom target rifle built up by a newfound gunsmith friend.

Jim H.

XD Fan
August 9, 2007, 02:05 AM
So many...

When my father fired both barrels of a malfunctioning Norinco 12 gauge O/U. It was the first gun I had ever purchased (used, by the way). I could not get it to shoot. He took it and pressed the trigger until it fired and, boy , did it go kaboom!

The_Antibubba
August 9, 2007, 03:25 AM
I grew up an Anti.

Not one of the Brady-spouting types, mind you; but in a household with no guns, knowing no one who had any guns, and under a general sense of "Guns are Bad". I had no fascination with them either--they weren't even "forbidden fruit".

Sometime early in the '90s I went to visit a college friend about 2 hours away, and while I was there one of his old high school buddies (who'd I'd met before and considered an idiot) came over to show off his new .357 Magnum revolver. And I told my friend "Either it goes or I go", and my friend, who didn't like to be put in such a hard spot, couldn't say anything to his high school buddy--so I left.

As I drove home I was angry at my friend, and angry at the Idiot, but I was also angry at myself. I knew I had done the right thing, removing myself from a potentially dangerous situation, but I realized I didn't know anything else, like if the gun was loaded, or if I could have unloaded it safely, or what. I had no other recourse but to leave--and what if that hadn't been an option? I'm no fan of ignorance, especially my own, so I set out to read everything I could about guns. I had a job that kept me on the road, so I'd stop at gun and pawn shops, ask questions, handle them, etc. Oh, yeah, I eventually went to the range and shot, and loved it. :D

But the day I decided to educate myself is much more vivid than the first time I shot.

CajunBass
August 9, 2007, 09:44 AM
That smell of a freshly fired shotgun shell, on a frosty morning.

esheato
August 9, 2007, 11:04 AM
Two moments come to mind...

1. My (God willing) first and only ND.

2. The moment when I really realized how to shoot.

My first pistol was a Ruger P90. Not really difficult to shoot, but there are certainly more appropriate beginner guns. Also, money was tight as a 21 year old. Range trips were concluded in 50 round segments...maybe 100 if I felt like splurging.

One day, I bit the big one and bought a case. Wow, the possibilities are endless with 500 rounds! ;) I went straight to the range and started shooting at the dirt berm at 25 meters. Soon enough, I had the place to myself and started moving in for some closer shots. Finally, at five yards and 400 rounds, it all clicked...

Breath control, trigger control and sight alignment combined into complete understanding. Ever since then, it hasn't been too difficult.

Ed

ACP230
August 9, 2007, 01:19 PM
I fired my first shot at the age of six.
Fifty years later, it's hard to pick just one memorable moment.

One is the first NRA Highpower match I watched. Most folks were using M1 Garands then and six or eight went off at once at the start of the slowfire prone relay. The noise and the smoke washed back over me and I started grinning. The next month I was on the line with a rifle myself.

The first time I shot pins at the old Second Chance Bowling Pin Shoot is another.
My old .45 had misfed with the Blazer .45 ammo I was using. I'd cut my left palm on the blade of the adjustable Micro sight trying to clear the gun. I was bleeding. I had pins still standing on the table.
And I was grinning all over my face.

The Second Chance shoot was a whole lot of fun.
I still miss it.

49north
August 10, 2007, 01:14 AM
My most vivid gun moment was scary. 15 years ago my kids were small and we were returning from a day fishing at a nearby lake that is very isolated and seldom visited during the week. On the way back we parked down the mountain to scout for bear and moose when a small beat up pickup with two disshevelled meth types, one who approached the truck with his hands behind his back and his buddy to my rear standing by the bed of his truck with his hands in it. My instincts screamed trouble..these fellas gave me the willies and I was scared. The one who approached gave me a story that was not right and I became further alarmed..all the time I was holding the browning buckmark all ready to go. The guys left but I was ready to take them out, and no, I don't think I was being paranoid.

DrDavidM
August 10, 2007, 07:19 PM
I never remember not having guns in my life. My wonderful father got my brother and I started early. The thing I guess I remember most was, I had asked my local gun store to special order me a 6 inch Colt Anaconda 44mag. A few days later I developed the flu. The real flu. I couldn't stand up, everything was kind of confused and out of focus. I got a call from the gun store. My gun was in. I dragged myself promptly of the couch and went across Birmingham to get it. I was smart enough not to shoot it until I was well. Anyway, everytime I look at the gun I think about that day. Which was kind of confused and out of focus.

Scanr
August 10, 2007, 07:34 PM
It was not long after I bought my first gun, a Ruger 10/22. My best friend and I went to our usual shooting spot. While we were walking to the shooting area, a jack rabbit went running off behind us. We both opened up on this poor jack and emptied a 10 round magazine shooting at it.:what: Neither one of us killed the dumb thing though it was hit once, it missed a step while running.

Sadly both the friend and the Ruger are long gone, and I miss both.:(

41magsnub
August 10, 2007, 07:42 PM
My first deer. FYI - to you parents out there this is why you don't put a 12 year old with questionable marksmanship and WAY too much ammo alone at a spot I now call "the grassy knoll" while you pheasant hunt the brush to kick the deer out!

I hear my dad shoot. A whole herd of muley does runs out in front of me about 100 yards downhill. I pick one out and shoot then look up.. no down deer. I shoot again.. look up... no down deer.. repeat 15 times (keep in mind this was with a bolt action .243). finally I remember the whistle trick so I do that and one stops and I drop it. Yay! I got a deer. Walk down to it and tag it feeling all proud waiting for dad to get to me. I hear another shot from my dad's direction. He walks up to me looking both pissed and amused and tells me to follow him.

I turns out I got 4 deer... 3 were dead and he finished the 4th with his pistol. Ooops.... My dad said it sounded like he was back in 'Nam.

tasco 74
August 10, 2007, 11:56 PM
my most enlightening gun moment was when i first shot my first handgun..... i had bought a s&w model 13-2 .357 magnum 4"........ i went to a place just outside of town here guys would go and shoot into a huge dirt pile...... i loaded the cylider full of federal 158 grain jsps of course i had no hearing protection with me (how load could it be)........ the first shot went off and i thought someone had slapped me in ears....... d^mn that was loud!! i shot the rest off the cylider full put the gun back into the gun rug and didn't go shooting again until i got ear plugs!.................

sfhogman
August 11, 2007, 12:19 AM
Two occasions stand out. The first was in the summer of 1959 or 1960 shooting a Crosman .177 gas gun with my Dad. He set a lit candle out at about 15 yards- this was in the backyard- took aim, and and put it out without touching the wick. I told him it was a lucky shot, and he proceeded to repeat it, over and over. I now know how he did it, of course, but at 12 years old I was impressed! Those summer evenings with Dad were what got me interested in shooting.

The other occasion was about 10 years ago when I first got into reloading. I took my first ever batch of cartridges to the range, and let fly with the GP100. They worked! After a while another shooter came up and asked what ammo I was using to get such nice groups....:D Been hooked on reloading ever since.

Jeff

Soul Assassin
August 11, 2007, 12:26 AM
I was shooting a S&W .44 magnum with a friend. We went through the rounds, thought all were spent, hammer not cocked, resting on what we thought was an empty casing. We are both very safety conscious, well......about 30-45 seconds (maybe shorter) the firearm discharged. The only thing we could attribute it to was a "slow burn". It was factory ammo. The firearm was pointed in a safe direction at all times, I refuse to use firearms with people who are careless. Scared the hell out of both of us...I will never forget that.

denny11
August 11, 2007, 12:54 AM
Just last year i got to go hunting for the first time. Before we went i had to practice and sight it in. I was shooting a 4/10. I am skinny and couldn't handle much more. On about my 7th shot i pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. I had checked safty so i knew for sure that was not the problem. I held that position tightly for 5 minutes. The gun was older so i thought if i held position it would go off. I was getting sore so i put the stock of the gun pointed up on my leg. Thats when it went off. There i sat shakin and scared. My dad was there the whole time telling me what to do. Anyways, I picked it up and shot again. .....No deer unfortunetly.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is your most vivid gun moment?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!