Possibly the most Pro-Gun Article Ever

PDA

MikePGS
August 8, 2007, 05:03 PM
I may or may not be in the twilight zone (and theres definitely a chance i'm reposting this, but I didn't see it so please forgive me if i am) but on MSN.com right now there is an article accompanied by a picture gallery that is possibly the most pro-RKBA article i have ever seen. You'd think it was from the front pages of Guns and Ammo or something.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20178856/site/newsweek/?GT1=10252 (thats the gallery)
http://lifestyle.msn.com/mindbodyandsoul/womenintheworld/articlemc.aspx?cp-documentid=4799146&GT1=10323 (thats the article titled "I got a gun and loved it!" about a young woman's love towards firearms)

The gallery is amazing, it not only shows what weapon people have, going so far as to naming them, but even goes out of its way to break stereotypes, showing a man who calls himself a liberal democrat who is shown wielding an AK-47 with his pet mouse on his shoulder, and showing young persons holding weapons as well, without even suggesting that this is wrong or anything like that. Just like it should be. Who would've thought that such an unbiased article would be put on the front page of microsoft? If i weren't so supermanly, i just might choke up... but alas, i am supermanly, and therefore in no danger of doing such a thing:)
I attribute the spread of articles like this directly to Mr Oleg Volk and others like him who spread the message that guns aren't things to be feared, but rather tools that can be used to secure your liberty, life and property. Thank you all for your efforts towards making gun ownership unremarkable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Possibly the most Pro-Gun Article Ever" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexKettering
August 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
About time!

Edit: That comment was before I read the entire article and I changed my opinion if it... See below for explanations. :D

springmom
August 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
Did you read the whole article???? She ends up being an ANTI. Here's her last paragraph:

There's a well-known saying in the pro-gun world: "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." I understand why that makes sense — as long as it's referring to umbrellas and tampons. As for a gun, I've come to believe that not having it and not feeling like I need it is, by far, the best way to be.

Not my idea of a pro-gun article. MInd you, the Newsweek gallery is awesome. But the article itself is a miserable failure at the end.

Springmom

MikePGS
August 8, 2007, 05:14 PM
drat, i didn't read the last paragraph. I looked at the gallery and in my excitement only read the first page of the article.

kcmarine
August 8, 2007, 05:16 PM
Ha ha...we've all been there Mike... don't worry.

MikePGS
August 8, 2007, 05:16 PM
Just look at the gallery then and ignore the article... its what i did!:)

AndyC
August 8, 2007, 05:17 PM
I wonder if she feels the same way about seatbelts, fire extinguishers, home insurance, etc as far as her exceptions to "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" goes*grumble*

Gord
August 8, 2007, 05:24 PM
Hey, some people find it easier to put their fingers in their ears and go "la la la la la" rather than accept that life is unpredictable and sometimes dangerous... if that makes 'em feel better, fine with me, as long as it doesn't affect my options.

exar
August 8, 2007, 05:25 PM
Possibly the most Pro-Gun Article Ever

Not quite...

XD Fan
August 8, 2007, 05:33 PM
That last paragraph is somewhat less than pro-gun.

MikePGS
August 8, 2007, 05:36 PM
haha yeah like i said in my excitement i didn't read the second page... still, the gallery of pictures is pretty good still.

Hazwaste
August 8, 2007, 05:44 PM
She doesn't mention ever being more than a witness to crime, so it's easy for her to make that last statement. Hopefully nothing happens to her that forces her to amend her naive world view.

Carl N. Brown
August 8, 2007, 05:44 PM
It's msnbc and its not totally anti-gun
and shows some gun owners as we are,
and not the typical anti-gun stereotypes
of gun owners. It is a small change.

Noxx
August 8, 2007, 05:45 PM
As for a gun, I've come to believe that not having it and not feeling like I need it is, by far, the best way to be.

If you have the police with you 24/7, sure.

Mannix
August 8, 2007, 05:51 PM
If you have the police with you 24/7, sure.
I think I'll pass on that too.

What she's talking about is a world where no one seeks to use force against others, and I just don't see such a thing ever existing, and if by chance it ever does, well, there'd be nothing to fear from people carrying around RPG's and machine guns(or portable nukes :evil:).

I guess ignorance is bliss... that is, until reality sets in.

MikeH
August 8, 2007, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't call her an anti, at least not in the same league as the gun-grabbers.

The gun experience she wrote about was on the positive side, and she just thought she has outgrown the need for guns. As much as we may disagree, that's her freedom and she didn't try to tell us what to think, either.

Nolo
August 8, 2007, 06:22 PM
I carry around RPGs and machine guns...
:uhoh:
I've even got my cargo pants set up to be able to carry 40mm loads.

Robert Hairless
August 8, 2007, 06:31 PM
I gave the article a quick read. At its end I felt happy for the author. She seems to have reached a state of something like inner peace and contentment with who she is. She wasn't so stable earlier. She needed a gun "to feel powerful" and she lived "in perpetual, agitated anticipation and dread at maybe having to put a bullet into someone."

Perhaps some day she might develop an integrated personality in which she doesn't define herself by external factors: guns for sure, but also boyfriends and husbands and social factors that so strongly influence her thoughts and feelings. In Texas she was one person, in Manhattan she is another, and if her life takes her to somewhere else or someone else she might become yet another person entirely. Growing up is hard to do but developing one's own personality is hardest of all.

For now, though, she is content and--most reassuring to me--she doesn't have the need for a gun to make her feel powerful and doesn't live in perpetual, agitated anticipation while she has one. That's scarey stuff and truly revealing.

MKEITH
August 8, 2007, 06:41 PM
I'm just confused with the being vaunerable making you stronger. How exactly does that work?

springmom
August 8, 2007, 06:56 PM
The gun experience she wrote about was on the positive side, and she just thought she has outgrown the need for guns. As much as we may disagree, that's her freedom and she didn't try to tell us what to think, either.

True. OTOH, I'm uneasy with the idea that guns are a thing to be outgrown. Makes us all sound like kids with the latest Transformer toys or something. After you read the whole article, go back and re-read from the viewpoint of where she's going. It looks a lot less benign to me.

Antis will LOVE this article. :(

Springmom

PILMAN
August 8, 2007, 06:58 PM
good gallery :)

xjchief
August 8, 2007, 07:05 PM
I actually feel pretty darn safe and secure at home. I don't think I'd feel so comfortable living in a place where I wasn't allowed to have the best tools to defend my family available legally. :scrutiny:

Christianninja
August 8, 2007, 07:11 PM
GAH! That's EXACTLY what I wanted to do: portraits of american gun-owners in their homes to show their normality.

Ekk....someday I'll get an original idea and execute it before someone else. Some day.

Nolo
August 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
It's not being vulnerable that makes you stronger, it's the assertion that you don't need that six-chambered death machine to go toe-to-toe with someone.
Think like this:
"If I'm this strong without a gun, think how strong I'd be with one!"
By the way, "six-chambered death machine" is my pet name for revolvers, it has nothing to do with their killing capability.

Picknlittle
August 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
I don't see the problem. The writer prepared a detailed, even positive presentation that she did not altogether agree with and expressed a personal opinion at the end or the article. If it was meant to be slanted, you'd have seen the anti slant through out.

Surly to goodness we can appreciate the professionalism necessary to do a good job of telling one story while not contaminating it with personal views. At the end, she expressed what was clearly an opinion. A personal view, nothing more.

When was the last time you read or viewed anything by an anti that wasn't negative from the outset? I think the same can be said fro most pro articles. Rarely are they balanced or unbiased.

Just my $.02

ArfinGreebly
August 8, 2007, 07:44 PM
Robert has it right.

Her view of herself is strongly influenced by her surroundings.

Who she "is" has a large external component.

I know what it's like to live in a "public transportation only" environment, where people are crowded to a greater or lesser degree, and know what it's like to have little or no protection.

Having become acquainted with the (in my view) more adult view that self defense is a good thing and a possible thing, I don't think I could go back. Places where I've lived before have now adopted weird "self defense is not a reason to be armed" perspective, to the point where -- even though I miss England -- I won't go back.

Hooligans operate there with impunity. The public is forbidden self defense. Sad.

Vulnerable is strong? Meh. No sale.

It only takes one violent thug to pop that bubble. That's one bubble in which you will not find me standing.

alligator94
August 8, 2007, 07:44 PM
I think she is a little looney. Though I've never lived in NY I have had to go up there for business a lot and every time I was there, I was always wishing my CHP was valid there. You may (hopefully) go your whole life without ever needing a gun. But then again you may never be in a car accident and need a seatbelt.

Geno
August 8, 2007, 07:56 PM
I just ran across this as I was reading, then came to THR to post it...searched first and located this thread. Nice write-up.

The only one that was lame was the artist who left a U/O shotgun disassembled in a bucket. If that is "owning" a shotgun, I am unimpressed. It does him no good for defense. All the same, the article and pics, etc as a whole is quite positive and impressive.

Doc2005

PRE 64 JOE
August 8, 2007, 08:58 PM
Had to respond, in about 1975 on tv they had a special called A Shooting Gallery Called America,I have no idea where they got the starving actors from but they ended the special with some actor that was about as scary looking as I have ever seen in makeup, his line was IF THEY TRY TO TAKE MY GUNS I'LL GIVE EM A GUT SHOT SO'S THEY CAN SQUIRM A LOT BEFORE THEY DIE. So I immediatly made sure that my NRA membership was current. Semper Fi.

mrmeval
August 8, 2007, 09:09 PM
Note Microsoft has a gun club, they have shirts with the logo.

The fellow who wrote/photographed the book (http://www.amazon.com/Armed-America-Portraits-Owners-Their/dp/0896895432/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1149478-5001467?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184249355&sr=8-1) and is narrating that video is on Livejournal. This is the blog about the book

http://armedamerica.livejournal.com/

And this is his personal one though it's mostly friends only.
http://kylecassidy.livejournal.com/

He's a very interesting person and he managed to encourage people who share gun ownership to allow pictures to be taken. It is a very diverse group.

I did miss out on this though I knew about it. :(

10 Ring Tao
August 8, 2007, 09:14 PM
I ported that slide show to youtube to get greater exposure for the book and the idea that we're not all red necks who are compensating for something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKTgWCzMUUg

www.armedamerica.org

Nomad101bc
August 8, 2007, 09:24 PM
When i purchased my carbine I went from a constant state of insomnia to being able to sleep at night. Id have to very strongly disagree with this pure B.S. I wont be a victim just because she is lucky doesn't mean the rest of us will be.

Odds are she is pretty wealthy given her family could afford many guns and she was able to afford Manhattan. If I were that wealthy then odds are id live in an area with much lower crime and also feel like "i dont need one".

Many people in my state felt this way those of us in the wealthy suburbs. Then a story came on the news where a doctor of all people ended up being tied up & having the crap beaten out of him. To make matters worse he then had to hear them rape his wife, two daughters one of which was only 11! To further rock Suburbia they then set the house on fire killing everyone except him. Two lowly criminals who could have easily been stopped by any HD gun. Needless to say gun sales in my state have been up quite a bit anyone can be a victim of violent crime. The charged criminals for the above offense did not even have a major criminal history; people are capable of this kind of evil so we should be ready.

camonympho
August 8, 2007, 11:38 PM
hats off to msnbc

MattB000
August 9, 2007, 01:05 AM
As for a gun, I've come to believe that not having it and not feeling like I need it is, by far, the best way to be.

Not needing it is, by far, the best way to be. Not feeling like you need it is great too, assuming your feelings are correct. There are many of us, however, that realize reality doesn't always have anything to do with what we want to happen, or better yet, doesn't always have anything to do with what we feel is going to happen. Therefore, we choose to have it, yet not need it.

It is only a matter of time before someone is victimized. Prior to thier being victimized, they likely felt they didn't need a gun. Tell me, in thier case, is that by far the best way to be?

Oana
August 9, 2007, 01:36 AM
Just saw that same gallery. Nice! I was happy to note that everyone had proper trigger finger control. :) (Although who picked the "One Nation Under Gun title? :scrutiny:)

I believe the article is a repeat of one listed earlier on MSN, I think it was hashed out on the boards. I didn't appreciate it, although it certainly sounds like she had the wrong attitude going in and that colored her view of firearms. It's a misleading title, it would've been nice At the time, one of the "related links" lead to an assault victim's story, it had an interesting ending.

Found it...on MSN Lifestyle (http://lifestyle.msn.com/MindBodyandSoul/WomenintheWorld/ArticleMC.aspx?cp-documentid=1952320). These two articles should go up next to each other, when you read the last few sentences:

Because if all goes well, hell be released this spring. Then my thoughts turned to the man who raped me, and whether he ever made it to prison, like the police officer assured me he would one day. He wont be able to stop, and hell keep going until hes caught, he said, trying to comfort me. Knowledge is power, but its also a burden. For now, all I can do is walk to my car with my keys out, pointing like a weapon in my hand.

*ahem* Now that I've hijacked the conversation, we now return you to your regularly scheduled gallery discussions.

MP5
August 9, 2007, 08:11 AM

You may not like crime, but crime likes you.

joab
August 9, 2007, 08:49 AM
Quite possibly one of the most ANTI gun articles I have ever read

If it was meant to be slanted, you'd have seen the anti slant through out.You missed it

It's called a set up

First she shows how she is was raised with guns and displays a general knowledge of them, although if you read carefully or a second time, you will see the foreshadowing

The article is about her journey to enlightenment free from the influence of the gun culture that stashes guns in every corner feels threatened even in church and irresponsibly loses guns because they have too many to keep track of

In the end instead of demonizing guns she ever so slightly while at the same time blatantly belittles the culture and the need

This is a young, by some accounts pretty, woman not the shrill little girlie man or the bloviating he-woman that we are used to, telling us that although she was washed in the blood she has outgrown her childhood indoctrination into the culture of death and fear of death so we can to.

buck00
August 9, 2007, 08:50 AM
I realized I no longer needed a gun to feel powerful. If anything, my willingness to be vulnerable makes me stronger.

The article ends with a very Peter Pan sort of optimism about being unarmed. I hate to be blunt, but it would only take one vicious home invasion and rape in her NY apartment and she would be wishing she still had access to all those pistols her family had laying around.

There are some that don't fear the fire until they've been burned. JMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Possibly the most Pro-Gun Article Ever" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!