Two girls at a party...

PDA

kungfuhippie
August 9, 2007, 09:50 AM
I just bought two 1895 Chilean Mausers in 7.62x51 nato. Ever meet those hot girls who take their ugly friend to parties and then pressure guys into dancing with them too? This is what happened to me, One example is excellent, and adds nicely to my collection. The other is the proverbial ugly girl, Bubba mutilated her as best I can tell. Her barrel was cut down to 17", the stock was cut square at the hand guard. The rear sight notch was opened up, the front painted red. The muzzle was poorly recrowned. As far as bubba work goes, it was well done. But it is still bubbafied. Unless Chile was producing some horrid rearsenaled stuff.:rolleyes:
So, what should I do with the ugly girl?
My options;
1. sell her to a co-worker
2. keep it as a trunk gun/parts gun for the pretty gun
3. restore it, and throw in a 7x57 barrel instead of 7.62 nato
4. use it as my new handy pig gun instead of my mosin

If you enjoyed reading about "Two girls at a party..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
meef
August 9, 2007, 10:08 AM
Man, what a politically/socially incorrect thread.

:eek: :what:

You're gonna take some heat.

arthurcw
August 9, 2007, 10:10 AM
1st off... PICS!

I vote Trunk. Ugly girls need love too. Trunk gun beat pig gun because of the cost of 7.62 x 54R ammo. You'll get more practice with the MN.

Option 1: What is this “Sell” a gun you speak of?

Option 3: In the running but I'm sure you can get a closer to restorable specimen. She's already been buggered pretty good so Trunk or further Bubbing seem best.

DogBonz
August 9, 2007, 10:10 AM
then you should un-bubba-fi her and rebarrel to 7x57. It will knida be like that fat ugly girl from high school that came back from her first year of college a hottie... know what i mean:D

DMK
August 9, 2007, 10:16 AM
I don't see the point of rebarreling if it shoots OK. I say keep it as a Trunk Gun/Pig Gun/spare parts for the other one.

supraneurotoxin
August 9, 2007, 10:17 AM
hmm..
being my own wingman, I'd take both girls home:neener:
I guess the same holds true here, keep it as it is for a truck gun or something, then use it for parts if you have to.

MassMark
August 9, 2007, 10:17 AM
Make the Ugly Girl a cache weapon.....

Geno
August 9, 2007, 10:24 AM
You already own it; keep it. Unlikely the other will break, but if it does, no searching and waiting for parts, right?

Kacerdias
August 9, 2007, 10:29 AM
Maybe I'm completely off, but is the "bubbafication" enough to render the unfortunate lady a "short barreled rifle"? I'd worry about the legal ramifications of that :uhoh:

If so, she can be gussied up with a longer barrel or a proper stock. :D

db_tanker
August 9, 2007, 10:30 AM
I would go with Dogbonz suggestion....restoration to a fine lookin' gal. :)

D

kungfuhippie
August 9, 2007, 11:24 AM
Maybe I'm completely off, but is the "bubbafication" enough to render the unfortunate lady a "short barreled rifle"?
Don't think so...The barrel is about 17.5" long. And the gun is an antique, so does that even apply? Not sure.

kungfuhippie
August 9, 2007, 11:28 AM
These aren't great but they are what the seller posted.

sacp81170a
August 9, 2007, 11:31 AM
You're okay on barrel length, but what about overall length? Don't remember off the top of my head what it's supposed to be for a rifle. Easily fixed with a new stock.

kungfuhippie
August 9, 2007, 11:39 AM
Barrel length in California is 16", overall length is 26" but does not apply to antiques so I am 2x legal. I could legally have a 2" barrel on it:rolleyes::neener:

Agouti
August 9, 2007, 12:41 PM
I don't know, it looks like a pretty neato carbine from here. Just re-crown the barrel to be more smooth, but the .308 is a fine caliber.

Maybe if you woud look better if you sanded the stock down, to taper, like an original mauser, only it would taper much quicker to meet the shortened barrel.

sacp81170a
August 9, 2007, 12:53 PM
Ah, when you said the stock was cut square at the hand guard I was envisioning something much shorter. The pic explains all...

arthurcw
August 9, 2007, 01:01 PM
I don't know, it looks like a pretty neato carbine from here

+1

That looks like it could be a handy little weapon.

Don't think of her as ugly. Think of her as that one girl that is not "model hot" but when she takes off her glasses and smiles, your heart melts. If she shoots well too, you may find her a whole like nicer to have than the picky model. Nudge. Nudge. Say no more. Say no more.

ArmedBear
August 9, 2007, 01:02 PM
That ain't so ugly. I'd shoot pigs with it. Pigs aren't pretty either.

7x57 isn't a bad idea. Good action, good cartridge. I wouldn't "restore" it, though; I'd just make it into a 7x57 hunting carbine. 7x57 is a GREAT round.

Another idea... Get a new stock for it and make it into a nice hunting rifle. It's definitely good for that. I know an old collector and hunter who has a few VERY nice guns built on actions like that one.

ReadyontheRight
August 9, 2007, 01:03 PM
Looks like a nice little truck gun. Or one to loan to a friend for hunting.

kungfuhippie
August 9, 2007, 01:18 PM
My problem is limited safe size and no money for another safe. I've got a Turk Mauser moving in tonight and things are gonna get pretty cramped as it is. So keeping it might mean I pass up another rifle because of a lack of space.

arthurcw
August 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
you can concider me your wingman and spin the "we gotta go girl" off to me. I ain't proud.

ArmedBear
August 9, 2007, 01:32 PM
Throw the bolt in the safe if you run out of room.

Use one of the many trigger locks you probably have lying around to secure the rest of the rifle. Lock it to something heavy, like one of those 5 lb. chocolate bars they sell at Christmas.:D

The reality is, that action is worth keeping, even if nothing else is.

AR Hammer
August 9, 2007, 02:13 PM
Sell it to me, I'll give the .308 a good home.
Good rifle, good round, give me a good price and we'll both be happy....

The Deer Hunter
August 9, 2007, 02:27 PM
I would get an after market sporter stock.

Coronach
August 9, 2007, 02:31 PM
Let's try this again, with some class.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Two girls at a party..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!