Stainless steel ammo casings?

PDA

Slater
August 9, 2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2007smallarms/5_8_07/Sadowski_Leng.pdf

Steel-cased ammo is common in East Bloc/Russian manufacture. Think this will make it into mass production?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stainless steel ammo casings?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jeepmor
August 9, 2007, 11:20 AM
20% cheaper than brass, that's nice. Wonder if it could be reloaded?

fletcher
August 9, 2007, 11:25 AM
I think it may eventually. These lines really give me a hunch it will:

- Simplified Manufacturing Process
Opens Markets for Other Manufacturers

Currently Brass cartridge case is a base draw process
Concept Sheet metal folding process

Anything to reduce cost :D

kellyj00
August 9, 2007, 11:30 AM
some folks are already reloading steel.

everallm
August 9, 2007, 11:51 AM
From the same area, look at this, page 4

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2007smallarms/5_8_07/Chyma_110Panel.pdf

The XM26 Modular Accessory Shotgun Sytem.

Does any active infantry soldier actually get to participate in these programs...? Bolt on a magazine fed, 12 gauge shotgun to an M4 !!!

That has got to be one of the most ill thought out, unbalanced, impractical pieces of S*** I have ever seen. It wouldn't even be "tacticool" except for a paintballer...........

GRIZ22
August 9, 2007, 01:16 PM
You can reload some steel cases but steel doesn't have the saem properties as brass. Resizing workhardens the metal and steel workhardens a lot easier than brass. You just can't get the number of reloads out of a steel case that you can with brass.

Steel cases are made softer than the steel used in barrels so there isn't any problme with them damaging barrels or chambers.

Reloading isn't an issue for the military so steel cases make sense if they can save money.

DogBonz
August 9, 2007, 01:18 PM
You can reload some steel cases but steel doesn't have the saem properties as brass. Resizing workhardens the metal and steel workhardens a lot easier than brass. You just can't get the number of reloads out of a steel case that you can with brass.

It may be hard on dies

fletcher
August 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
Stainless steel is a little different than the carbon steel being used in current cases. This has caught my interest, so I may bring a used steel case in to work and test the hardness on it and inspect the microstructure to have a reference for what's going on.

Stainless steel is typically austenitic (has a FCC structure, like brass) while carbon steel is BCC. The former is able to deform more easily because there are more atomic planes in FCC on which slip can occur. (Basic explanation of structures (http://wb.chem.lsu.edu/htdocs/people/sfwatkins/MERLOT/lattice/03bcc.html))

There's certainly a possibility that the stainless may reload a couple times, or at least better than current steel casing.

My biggest fear is that because it will be thin-walled, they will choose to significantly harden the stainless for better strength-to-weight.

Neo-Luddite
August 9, 2007, 03:25 PM
That has got to be one of the most ill thought out, unbalanced, impractical pieces of S*** I have ever seen. It wouldn't even be "tacticool" except for a paintballer...........

The funniest part is that it has been done before with an 870, no less.

brentn
August 9, 2007, 03:33 PM
Are these for sale? Looks like they're in quebec.

MD_Willington
August 9, 2007, 04:54 PM
looks neat

If you enjoyed reading about "Stainless steel ammo casings?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!