Gun Prices

PDA

Picknlittle
August 9, 2007, 02:13 PM
Do new guns generally sell for MSRP or is there a normal discounted street price?

For instance, a Martin guitar that list for $3300 will likely sell in most shops for $2600 to $2900, and the high volume shops may sell it for under $2000.

How much wiggle room in there typically?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
August 9, 2007, 02:15 PM
New guns generally sell for a good bit less than MSRP. It usually seems to be $100-200 lower, depending on brand/manufacturer. But, your best bit is to hit up your local store or something like http://www.galleryofguns.com/ to check prices.

erict
August 9, 2007, 02:33 PM
I usually see them drop 20% or so but it does depend on the type of firearm it is. For instance if I see a msrp of $859 on something from the manufacturers website, it'll usually be $679-$699 or so in the stores. Same with a msrp of $499, I might see it fo $429 or so in the shops.

You're in my neck of the woods. If you visit Sara at Gun & knife country on Ft. Campbell Blvd, she has a nice selection of firearms up there.

Picknlittle
August 9, 2007, 02:42 PM
erict,

Where on Ft. Campbell Blvd? I don't remember seeing this shop.
I'm over there pretty often,..in fact will be tomorrow :)

Picknlittle
August 9, 2007, 02:47 PM
Sorry,.double post

Standing Wolf
August 9, 2007, 02:47 PM
How much wiggle room in there typically?

Haggle long and haggle hard.

I work in a gun shop. Reasonable offers are rarely refused, especially on guns that have been taking up shelf space awhile.

Nomad101bc
August 9, 2007, 02:50 PM
Just buy something on consignment thats slightly used and you can save alot of money.

erict
August 9, 2007, 02:58 PM
She's up by a tattoo shop (Dancing Dragon I believe) about 3 miles from exit 86 off I24 toward Clarksville. There is a Subway and a BP station near her. I believe it's near gate 6. It's considered Oak Grove, KY.

Her # is 270-640-5881.

RNB65
August 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
Here's a good place to start pricing guns. Your local gunshop will probably be $75-$100 higher than Bud's on-line price.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

erict
August 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
She has new and used stuff. If I get a handgun there she has to tranfer it to a shop in TN but she has someone she works this out with for a low fee.

If it's a long gun she can do it from KY to a TN resident with no problems.

Jrsmith
August 9, 2007, 03:13 PM
Ahhh, why didn't I know this when I was in Clarksville for 2 weeks last month?!?

bdjansen
August 9, 2007, 03:16 PM
I have a Martin too. :)

Bezoar
August 9, 2007, 11:44 PM
Big difference in guns and guitars. For example go look at the LPD retailers catalog. I can get that 3,000 msrp guitar for you for less than 800 brand new plus shipping and handling.

On guns well, it depends on how honest the dealer is.

Cliff47
August 10, 2007, 12:02 AM
Is that Martin a bolt-action? Been looking for one of those for quite a while.

Picknlittle
August 11, 2007, 01:58 PM
bdjansen sez:
I have a Martin too. :)

And your smiling?!! Just kidding. I'm playing a CB Vintage Bone (www.cbguitars.com) that of course has it's roots in pre-war martin design.

Bezoar sez:I can get that 3,000 msrp guitar for you for less than 800 brand new plus shipping and handling.

Not likely. The extreme cutoff is about 50% on factory built, high end guitars like Martin, Taylor and Gibson. Shops that sell small shop luthier instruments get nowhere near that margin. This would be your Collings, Bougouis(sp?), CB, Merrill, Rockbridge, etc.

Cliff47 asked:
Is that Martin a bolt-action? Been looking for one of those for quite a while.

Nah! It's yer basic six shooter, though sometimes available as a 9 or 12. :)

obxned
August 11, 2007, 05:03 PM
There are sometimes certain models that are in short supply and sell for more than MSRP.

Picknlittle
August 11, 2007, 07:25 PM
Well, today I did get to visit Sara at Gun & Knife Country. From what I saw the prices are good and the service is very good.

She had a few things that tickled my trigger finger. A very nice, though heavily cosmo'd PA 63, nice Navy Arms 9mm, and very small (bout the size of a Bersa Thunder .380) .45 acp to round out the semi autos, and a used Ruger Security Six revolver. All priced about where I need them.

I'll have to have my FFL fax over his paperwork.

I found a CZ 52 that was down right lust worthy at a pawn shop,....maybe it'll stay a while. I stopped at another shop just outside of town to look around. They had two CZ52s. Wanted way to much for them. Maybe everything there is priced high so the dickerer doesn't feel so dickered when the dickering is done! :evil:

Anywho, not a bad day of browsing. Once the FFL thing is done I'll head back ready to make some offers.:)

Thanks for the help guys.

rkh
August 11, 2007, 09:20 PM
The shop near where I live typically sells for 10% MORE than MSRP.

Your mileage may vary.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!