Marlin 60 -- buy for $120 new?

PDA

ArmedBear
August 9, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure if I've ever shot one. If I have, it was 25 years ago.

Good, bad experiences?

How picky is it with ammo? Tube feed work okay?

I'm looking to put a little 4x scope on it, maybe use it for squirrels and practice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 60 -- buy for $120 new?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
August 9, 2007, 01:32 PM
That's a good deal. I paid around $180 for mine NIB. The tube feed works fine, but expect FTE with typical .22. You'll need to find high velocity .22 (as Marlin recommends) or a certain brand that it prefers.

ArmedBear
August 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
I have an old Mossberg rear-tube-fed gun, with the tube in the stock. Therefore, you put the tube over the rounds rim-first. It can be a real PITA to load the thing. Shoots accurately once loaded, however.

My Marlin lever .22 feeds from the front, and it's really easy to load. No problem just shoving the spring tube back down over the rounds.

I take it the 60 is like my Marlin, not my Mossberg, when it comes to ease of loading? (That Mossy's been such a PITA I haven't shot it in a long time.)

rantingredneck
August 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
I've had mine for 25 years or so. It is more accurate than I am and certainly more so than my stock 10/22. It also feeds and fires any .22LR ammo I put in it other than Stingers. It does not like to feed or eject those. I guess mine is so old that its from before the recommendation to use high velocity ammo.

I've got a 2.5x Bushnell rimfire scope on mine BTW. That's plenty for 50 yds or so.

ArmedBear
August 9, 2007, 01:38 PM
It is more accurate than I am and certainly more so than my stock 10/22.

Yeah. If I like this, the 10/22 goes up for sale.:)

I'll be G&GD if I put another grand into it, just because I don't like it as-is. But hey, there's a whole industry built around that... To each his own, I guess.

fletcher
August 9, 2007, 01:41 PM
It's easy enough to load. You can either pull the rod completely out and drop them down the end, or pull it out enough to open up the ammo slot near the end of the tube, and drop them in from the bottom of the tube.

fletcher
August 9, 2007, 01:43 PM
wow- triple post

fletcher
August 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
triple post - these computers at work have fits sometimes :(

Princi
August 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
I really like mine - especially comparing it to my Remington 597. However, I did to trigger work on it to get it to the point that I was satisfied with the trigger.

My groups with it have been a lot tighter than what I ever got with the 597. Also, it doesn't seem to be very picky about the brand of ammo that you are shooting through it. (The 597 hates Wolf Match Extra - creates shotgun looking groups).

The only negative thing I'd say about the 60 has to do with the tube feed - I just don't care for any rifle with tube feed. Perhaps it has to do with my embrassment one day when I launched the feed rod downrange.

That is a great price for any model 60. I just did a search at www.sportingarms.com who I buy from a lot, and the cheapest one they have is $151. For some of the higher priced guns I've found their prices hard to beat, but for the lower priced guns, some of the local major retailers have sales with better prices.

ArmedBear
August 9, 2007, 02:02 PM
It's a loss-leader, or something, maybe.

I'm buying an old Marlin (Mountie) through the same shop, and I figured I'd share the paperwork and fees, and get this one too, especially for $120!

sandanbob
August 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
I think that's a good price, but I have found my Remington 597 and Ruger 10/22 to be less finicky about what I feed it. My brother, my nephew, and I all own Marlin Model 60's, and to varying degrees we have had trouble with FTF and FTE with them. In particular, Federal has caused some issues.

JonB
August 9, 2007, 02:12 PM
Good price I'd say. Love mine - I have the stainless version on synthetic stock. Dead nuts accurate for gophers :-).

I found it eat Remington build pack from WallyWorld for awhile, but that seems to be fairly dirty then I get jams. Switched to Federal and no problems so far.

captainamerica
August 9, 2007, 04:32 PM
Word for years on the Model 60 is that the price has gone up significantly so $120 ain't bad. However, another word for years is that you can buy a used one very cheap at gun shops or pawn shops b/c many people that owned these bad boys had trouble with FTF/FTE b/c they didn't know how to break it down and clean/lube it properly; let alone to use high velocity costlier .22 LR ammo.

rangerruck
August 9, 2007, 05:49 PM
You never, ever , buy a new mod 60. Allways buy used, never spend more than 80 bucks. if you do not know about mod 60's buy one used from a gunshop, that checks out there stuff, with a gunsmith, to make sure it works. or take a friend that knows about them , to a pawnshop, and get one really cheap.
Tube fed, reliable, not picky, more accurate than any rifle under a cz, or the cost of 300 bucks.

ArmedBear
August 9, 2007, 06:41 PM
You never, ever , buy a new mod 60. Allways buy used, never spend more than 80 bucks.

Not in this state, you don't.:( Transfer fees alone render it moot, since I'm adding this rifle to another purchase so I'm saving the fees. Might as well get a new rifle for the price of an old one, since they now have laminate stocks standard.

If I were somewhere else, that's what I'd do, though.:)

SaMx
August 9, 2007, 06:52 PM
go for it. I have a new marlin and I like it a lot. Cheap, reliable, and accurate.

akolleth
August 10, 2007, 06:21 AM
Definitely get it!

Got mine for $50 out the door at a show about a year ago. Best little semi 22 out there straight from the box.

MrAcheson
August 10, 2007, 11:07 AM
if you do not know about mod 60's buy one used from a gunshop, that checks out there stuff, with a gunsmith, to make sure it works. or take a friend that knows about them , to a pawnshop, and get one really cheap.I've seen this suggestion several times, but I don't know about 60s or have a friend who does. However I am fairly mechanically inclined.

What should I look for to tell whether a particular used Model 60 is a good one? (other than typical checkouts for any rifle like muzzle crown, barrel wear, etc)

SSN Vet
August 10, 2007, 11:26 AM
got mine for $95 at Walmart about 8 years ago.

never had any problems using Federal bulk ammo for years....

bought a bulk box of the Remington stuff this spring and have had my first 3 FTEs ever.

take down for a detail cleaning is easy.

good instructions with photo's are posted here somewhere....try search.

I had to put some thread lock on my elevation adjust screw, as it was vibrating loose and shooting low

it's a handy little .22 I like it a lot.

Big Daddy K
August 10, 2007, 11:38 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about them. I want one to go with my Marlin lever, 10/22 and Springfield 22s.
Plus the thing holds like 18 rds right?

ArmedBear
August 10, 2007, 11:54 AM
I think they spec the 60 at 15 rounds in the tube with the 19" barrel that's now on it.

Marlin 39 lever gun holds 19 with a 24" barrel (confirmed), and 15 with a 20" barrel AFAIK (can confirm in a couple weeks).

hksw
August 10, 2007, 12:50 PM
I finally had the opportunity to shoot one last Sunday at the range. The gun belonged to a range acquaintence and it was noted by him that it is his most accurate .22. It was scoped with a Tasco variable.

The gun itself seemed to be very solid and well made. The five round group I got seemed (to me) better than a stock Ruger 10/22. The trigger, however, was pretty heavy (by my standards) guessing it to be 4-5 lbs. Certainly less than a stock 10/22 where almost all of mine were 6-6.5 lbs before modifications. I had shot it at the 25 yd range where I was zeroing 3 .22 of my own for a future range trip to teach my 8 yo nephew shooting (Marlin 15YN, CZ452 Scout, modded Ruger 10/22). It shot about as well as the CZ452 Scout (also scoped - Leupold 3-9X33 EFR) with Fed Am Eagle. (Mod 60 ammo was my friend's and I think were Fed hollowpoints.) ~0.75" @ 25 yds.

The only issues I have with the 60 is the heavy trigger (although I haven't researched what folks have done or can buy to fix this) and the tube feed. Having a Win 9422M, I know how a little more work is needed to load the gun, but my biggest concern is if the plunger is ever bent out of shape.

Otherwise a capable gun.

Limeyfellow
August 10, 2007, 01:17 PM
The only negative thing I'd say about the 60 has to do with the tube feed - I just don't care for any rifle with tube feed. Perhaps it has to do with my embrassment one day when I launched the feed rod downrange.

Especially if the rifle is old, worn and not working properly. My brother in law ended up with a 22lr bullet stuck in his hand while loading a Marlin 60 like this that belonged to one of his friends but that was due to the mechanism not working properly.

Normally the Marlin 60 works really well. I do perfer the magazine version of the Marlin 75 though. It just seems safer to me that way to keep your hands further away from the breech. Theres also the Marlin 70 which was a carbine version of the Marlin 60. It had a shorter ammo tube, shorter barrel length and was a nice nifty little rifle.

Erinyes
August 10, 2007, 02:08 PM
I like my Model 60 quite well. It is picky about ammo, though. It doesn't like Remington, and it absolutely will not run right with Federal bulk ammo (FTEs on all of it). When the rifle was given to me several years ago, it came with a few thousand rounds of Federal Lightning ammo, and that stuff had it running like a Swiss clock. Not one FTF, FTE or any other stoppage. I'm looking to get another one since mine was already pretty used and abused when I got it.

That does bring up a question though, since I haven't bought .22LR in a long time. Under what label is the old Federal Lightning branded now?

zinj
August 10, 2007, 02:36 PM
Federal Lightning is now Champion. Easily the best of all the cheap ammo in my experience.

ArmedBear
August 10, 2007, 02:39 PM
I just got some American Eagle 38 gr plated HP's (400 to a box, oddly). It shoots like a dream in my 39A.

When I get the 60, I'll see if I can get a small box of 10 different ammos. Part of the fun of getting a new .22. I can always shoot the FTE stuff in my lever guns, or my Ruger pistol. My 10/22 is picky. I don't like it. But my 22/45 will eat up just about anything, shoot it in tiny groups, and feed it perfectly.

SteelyNirvana
August 10, 2007, 02:46 PM
Does anyone have any info on how to pick out one of these guns that are 18 rounders with the last shot bolt hold open? I have an 1980 Glenfield which is a 18 shot but dosen't hold the bolt open on the last round. I have a G&A mag from 1989 and Marlin advertises the model 60 as being 18 shot and having the LSBHO. So when did these go into production and when did they go to the 15 shot model? I want to take a wild guess and say it was around the time of the AWB, but I would like someone else to confirm that.

ArmedBear
August 10, 2007, 02:51 PM
Actually, I think that they shortened the barrel a bit (from 22" to 19") at some point. Nothing to do with AWB.

My current 39A (24") holds 19 rounds, old 39M (20") holds 15. Similar tube feed system.

Landlocked Pirate
August 10, 2007, 03:10 PM
I recently paid $134 for one at Walmart. I've only taken it to the range once, but I can say for sure that I like it better than my 10/22. Although I didn't conduct any real accuracy tests I know that I was able to hit better with it than with the Ruger, and it fit me a LOT better. I like the tube magazine better, too. In a full afternoon shooting it I experienced no malfunctions of any kind. From now on, the Marlin goes to the range with me and the Ruger stays in the gun cabinet.

rantingredneck
August 10, 2007, 05:46 PM
Re: the reduction in magazine capacity

From Wiki so take it for what it is:

The Model 60 has a manual bolt hold-open, activated by pushing the charging handle inward towards the gun when it is in the fully-retracted, open breech position. To close the bolt with the manual bolt hold-open engaged, the charging handle must be pulled out, away from to the gun, before the bolt will go forward. Since 1985, the Model 60 has also included a patented automatic "last-shot" bolt hold-open. This latter feature is a safety feature that locks the bolt half-way open after the last 22 LR cartridge is fired, thereby allowing the safe inspection of the now-open action.

Marlin Model 60 with after-market stock.During the mid-1980s, the capacity of the rifle was reduced to a 15 round maximum limit, to meet New Jersey's firearms law for semi-automatic firearms. Simultaneous to this change, the length of the barrel was reduced from 22 to 19 inches (559 to 483 mm), to match the length of the reduced length magazine. This had the effect of reducing the length of the rifle from 40.5 to 37.5 inches (1029 to 953 mm). (The photo above is of the 40.5 inch (1029 mm) version, the rifle having been manufactured in 1982.) Tube magazine fed 22 LR rifles were never subject to the 10 round limit of the federal assault weapons ban.

on a side note, I saw an interesting Model 60W in the local pawn shop the other day. The owner wasn't in and it wasn't marked. I'm going back on Tuesday and if it's still there and priced reasonably it may come home with me. It appeared a bit shorter overall and appeared to have a heavier barrel than my Glenfield Model 60 (circa 1983) with 18 shot mag. I can't find any info on the 60W though. :confused: The 60W also had a last shot bolt hold open and a bolt release just forward of the trigger guard that looked amazingly like the one on a 10/22.

Papaster
August 10, 2007, 06:12 PM
I like mine. Got it for the same price ($120) at wallyworld. It's a great gun, and works pretty well. I'll usually burn through 500 or 550 rounds every time I take it out, and it functions quite well. I haven't ran but about three or four types of ammo through it, Remmington, Winchester, Federal, and maybe CCI once or twice, but they all functioned well. The federal kept jamming every other round in my brother's savage, but mine fed quite well. The latest box of rem. had numerous fte's, but opened the gun up and realized I hadn't cleaned it in quite a while.
Come to think of it, I've bought two of these guns over the last couple of years, and had great experience with both. Second one was slightly used, (100% condition) and was only $80. But $120 was the right price for NIB according to Blue Book, so go for it. Great gun. My father-in-law still has his (his first gun ever) from the late 1960's. And it's a great firearm. Oh, and I added some sheen to the walnut stock on mine with some oil. Don't remember what kind. It makes the wood grain just pop.

ArmedBear
August 10, 2007, 06:27 PM
During the mid-1980s, the capacity of the rifle was reduced to a 15 round maximum limit, to meet New Jersey's firearms law for semi-automatic firearms. Simultaneous to this change, the length of the barrel was reduced from 22 to 19 inches (559 to 483 mm), to match the length of the reduced length magazine.

Strange, really, given that they could have just shortened the tube magazine internally and left the rest of the gun, and their tooling, the same.

I wonder if they wanted to shorten the barrel anyway. Maybe they were getting feedback that people were buying 10/22 carbines because they were shorter.

scurtis_34471
August 10, 2007, 06:47 PM
Its a great gun. More accurate than the Ruger 10/22 out of the box, reliable and not too horrible to clean. What's not to like for $120? I bought mine at Walmart with a scope mount, BSA 4x32 scope and rifle bag for about $180 out the door.

ArmedBear
August 10, 2007, 06:50 PM
What's with BSA scopes? A lot of people seem to like them.

I got one, and it stopped holding zero after less than a brick. Gave it to a friend. He gave up on it.

I'm glad they work for others, though.

rangerruck
August 10, 2007, 08:30 PM
the marlin mod 60 made between 1985, and 1988, were made with the 17 round tube and longer bbl, with a last shot bolt hold open. If you find one of these, hang on tight, and don't let go. Only going up in value, and dudes are not selling anymore of their private ones.

rantingredneck
August 10, 2007, 10:42 PM
They are hit or miss.

I had a BSA mildot on my .30-06 for 6 years and had great service til last Saturday when it died from a dislocated lens.

I also have several red dots on .22's that do well. They are OK for the price but you do get what you pay for.

Ricky T
August 11, 2007, 07:50 AM
Back in high school my father bought me a Glenfield model 60 from K-Mart for $40 ! It shot extremely well and reliable, it was the rifle I used to learn how to shoot (that gun and my Daisy BB rifle). Like others said, it was an 18 shot with no automatic bolt lock (only manual) and with longer barrel. I shot it with the iron sights. Time flies, I was surprised to see the current price and the dropping of the Glenfield name. It's now back with my dad. I picked up a Mossberg Plinkster bolt rifle to replace it. Even at $120, it isn't too high for a life time of shooting fun that you can pass on to your kids and grandkids.

GLOCK19XDSC
August 11, 2007, 08:13 AM
Ammo finicky-ness may be hit or miss. Mine has shot everything I put into it with no problem, including Federal bulk, CCI Blazer and PMC Zapper.

I bought it new (display model) from Dick's about a year ago. It was the last one they had, and I spent a lot of time on the phone trying to find one. It came with a 4x scope for 120.

A fine little rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 60 -- buy for $120 new?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!