Single action revolver

PDA

Bezoar
August 9, 2007, 11:48 PM
When I read about people hunting iwtha single action revolver, its always one with massive target sights isntalled or a high powered scope.

Is a single action revolver with only the fixed sights usefull for deer hunting?

And is it better to get a nice longer barrel for it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Single action revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tkendrick
August 10, 2007, 12:13 AM
I hunted javalina, coyote and deer for years with a .41 Ruger Blackhawk.

The only mod I ever made to it was to put a set of Pachmeyer grips on it.

Took most of the game at less than 100 yards, never needed any more range where I hunted, didn't have the visibility in most cases.
It worked fine.

First Shirt
August 10, 2007, 12:21 AM
My backup gun for hog hunting is a Ruger Bisley Vaquero, 5.5", .45 Colt, with handloads. Worked up a good load using 300 gr WFNGC cast bullet over H-110, and "adjusted" the sights to that load. Doesn't have a lot of versatility, but it's awfully darned accurate out to 100 yards, and I don't have any business shooting iron sights past that distance anyway.

This is opinion, and worth very little more than you paid for it.

1/Sgt

If you enjoyed reading about "Single action revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!