.357 Magnum flat nose, soft point...used for what?

PDA

Southern Shooter
August 10, 2007, 12:05 PM
What good is .357 Magnum flat nose, soft point ammunition for other than target practice? Does it have enough velocity and expansion from a 2.75" barrel to be used for woods critters?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 Magnum flat nose, soft point...used for what?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RubenZ
August 10, 2007, 12:10 PM
Yes they are good for critters.

They'll penetrate well.

Rangie
August 10, 2007, 04:06 PM
Shooting through stuff.:evil:

41magsnub
August 10, 2007, 04:09 PM
In your mind picture the size of a .357 slug next to the size of a normal woodland critter. I don't think the type is going to matter a whole heck of a lot.:evil:

Vern Humphrey
August 10, 2007, 04:19 PM
My experience is that a .38 special case loaded with 2.7 grains of Bullseye and a 148 grain wadcutter hits small game like the hammer of Thor.

That's the lightest load recommended for that bullet and it does everything you need to do on small game.

Jim March
August 10, 2007, 05:08 PM
The "soft point" 357s are meant for at least semi-dangerous critters.

If driven fast enough, they'll expand but not as much as a hollowpoint and not as quickly. They'll punch deeper than a hollowpoint.

If they don't expand, they're similar to hardcast except the nose will likely round out some.

Modern thinking prefers hardcast flatnose for something like deer/boar hunting or black bear defense in the 357. You can get more power (lead being slicker than copper) and while you don't get expansion, you do reliably get a flat nose that stays flat for a "tissue displacement effect" that partially makes up for zero expansion. And of course you get a deeper punch.

Upshot: I wouldn't use them for anything serious or spend money on high-end variants. Wadcutters are better for small critters, hollowpoints are better for personal defense, hardcast flatnose are better on larger or dangerous critters. They might have a role for deer or something but...one of the deeper-punch hollowpoints like the Hornady XTP are probably a better idea if driven hot enough.

mgh
August 12, 2007, 06:53 PM
The RNFP (round nose flat point) lead bullet is used in .38/.357 cartridges in lever action rifles, to avoid setting off rounds stacked nose-to-primer in the magazine. The lever action rifles in that caliber are often used in Cowboy Action Shooting.

Iggy
August 12, 2007, 07:18 PM
Some of us used them before they invented hollow points................

Im283
August 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
Sounds like a bullet for plate shooting. I am guessing lead does not ricochet like a FMJ would. I dunno though.

BlindJustice
August 12, 2007, 07:41 PM
Are you asking about

* Jacketed Soft Point bullets ?
=OR-
* Cast Semi-Wadcutters :

Both have flat points

The JSP will penetrate farther than a HP
and the SWC with it's tapered front truncated
cone will retain bullet mass and the shoulder
on the leading edge of the shank is the cutting
edge.

MCgunner
August 12, 2007, 09:27 PM
A 158 grain cast SWC loaded to max velocity will do anything that needs doin' in the woods where there's nothing bigger than black bears or human predators. Good deer hunting round, too, though I tend to prefer a longer barrel than that in my hunting revolvers.

tasco 74
August 12, 2007, 09:59 PM
i used to shoot federal 158 gr. jsps exclusively in my .357 revolvers. i shot some into wet clay for an expansion test once. they do musroom and expand good at magnum velocities. i will use them for a defensive round in my 6" revolver. haveing said that a large percentage of my reloads are 150 gr. homecast swcs.

jcord
August 13, 2007, 02:49 PM
I use a home cast Lee 158 grain WFN wide flat nose gas check in my 357 mag
loads. I push this to 1400 fps from my 6 inch taurus. It clocks around 1800 from my timberwolf.

For my 38s I omit the gas check (not needed) and it comes out of my j-frame at 750fps. I have the same design bullet mould in 125 grain that I intend to use for the J-frame but I haven't cast any yet.

MCgunner
August 13, 2007, 02:54 PM
I use a home cast Lee 158 grain WFN wide flat nose gas check in my 357 mag
loads. I push this to 1400 fps from my 6 inch taurus. It clocks around 1800 from my timberwolf.

Same bullet at nearly the same velocities as I shoot, 14.5 grains 2400 pushing it. I've killed two deer with my 6.5" blackhawk using it and one with my 20" Rossi M92 carbine at about 80 yards. All were broadside lung shots behind the shoulder. None went very far. I cast it from range scrap and anneal when casting. Works fantastic, quite accurate. My old mold is getting sorta beat up, though, but still works. I had to replace the sprue cutter pivot bolt.

jcord
August 13, 2007, 04:17 PM
I use range scrap or wheel weights and water quench. ALox for lube

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 Magnum flat nose, soft point...used for what?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!