how to get rid of rust??

PDA

highfive
August 10, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hey everybody. I like to keep my guns nice and clean but it looks like it doesn't matter what I do or I put in them if I leave my guns in the safe for a few days without cleaning them or some (besides the one I'm carrying) When I go to get them out, they have rust over them. It cleans easy is only like lose rust but still piss me off. Is there any product or any suggestion so I won't have to deal with this *&^%$&* rust so often.

Any suggestions on products to use or how to clean them? Please some help.

Thanks in advance

If you enjoyed reading about "how to get rid of rust??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
August 10, 2007, 11:13 AM
After I clean my guns, I soak a section of paper towel with Remoil and rub it into the entire surface of the gun, then give it a single wipe to clean the excess off. I haven't had problems with rust on the parts I've done this with.

Especially in the summer (sweating), I've found that they need at least a surface cleaning before going into storage. You also might want to look into a dehumidifier of some sort for your safe.

strat81
August 10, 2007, 11:44 AM
Keep some desiccant in your safe. Before the guns go back in the safe, wipe them down with BreakFree CLP or a similar product.

highfive
August 10, 2007, 11:50 AM
where can I get some desiccant? it sounds like a good option and I will need to get some more CLP

silverlance
August 10, 2007, 12:00 PM
use silicone impregnated gun socks and several boxes of dessicant.
kev

ps: keep your safe CLOSED. the best dessicant cannot dry out the entire outdoors.

glassman
August 10, 2007, 12:49 PM
As mentioned, I wipe the surfaces of my guns (inside and out) with clp and store them upright on a wire rack in my safe. I also have a rechargable dehumidifier in the safe as well. Haven't had a speck of rust to worry about. Both the rack and the dehumidifier were bought on line at cabella's.

Anna's Dad
August 10, 2007, 03:29 PM
I live in humid Florida and I've never experienced rusting like you describe, even without a dessicant.

For guns that I store for long periods of time, however, I have used Bull Frog gun sleeves. Don't know if I would have had a problem without them, but I've had no problem with them.

strat81
August 10, 2007, 03:42 PM
http://shopping.yahoo.com will nab you some desiccant.

Kimber1911_06238
August 10, 2007, 03:46 PM
cabelas and other retailers sell a remington gun safe dehumidifier. It's about a 8"X 5" plastic box loaded with dessicant. when it soaks up too much moisture it changes color and you plug it into a wall outlet for a few hours to dry, then back in the safe. works well and costs about $30. check it out

RNB65
August 10, 2007, 05:22 PM
Rust is an odd thing. Some people get it and some don't. I keep my guns in a cabinet in the hottest and most humid spot in my house -- a small closet in a front bedroom that gets very little air from the A/C due to some really poorly done ductwork. That room is always hot and humid in the summer and cold as ice in the winter. But I've never had the first bit of trouble with rust on guns. All I use on them is BF CLP for cleaning and G96 Gun Treatment to occasionally wipe them down in the cabinet. No rust at all.

Bentonville
August 10, 2007, 07:30 PM
Did anyone mention Eezox for rust prevention? Or one of the Kleenbore Vapor Inhibitor ziplock bags made either for pistols or rifles? They work for me. I inherited my grandfathers Smith six shot snubble when I was only 16. I shot it and messed around with it for 25 years before I learned about caring for guns. It had some mild rust in areas, such as backstrap, by then. I took 0000 bronze wool ( I have used steel wool but was made aware that tiny particles could stay on the surface and cause further rust) and clp or some kind of gun oil and rubbed very gently for several settings and it is mostly gone but impossible to return it to original condition, of course. I hate it now but theres no substitute for stupid. It's just stupid.

RobZ71LM7
August 10, 2007, 07:47 PM
I have this in my safe:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=850609&t=11082005

I also have a Golden Rod in the bottom and I've gasketed the door. When I once kept the safe in a non-climate controlled garage it always stayed around 40-42% relative humidity and I had no problems. I also live in the Ohio river valley which quite humid. I place the desiccant in a $14 walmart toaster oven to recharge when it changes color.

EdLaver
August 10, 2007, 08:45 PM
I use Corrosion X, works great in every aspect. Heres a link:

http://www.corrosionx.com/gun_use.html

115grfmj
August 10, 2007, 09:12 PM
for someone with rust issues like yours:confused:....is to clean it with clp as some have suggested, dry it than wipe it down with a thin coat of R.I.G. This is the stuff...I use it while hunting in wet weather....it REALLY works:cool:
P.s this size should last you the rest of your natural life...you only need a small amount....and read the comments

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=191832&t=11082005

deputy tom
August 10, 2007, 09:37 PM
I use Ballistol.Here's a link.YMMV.tom.:cool:

http://www.firehawktech.com/b^index01.asp

No Exit
August 10, 2007, 11:59 PM
To remove rust apply kerosine & scrub w/a wire brush or steel wool and then clean w/ solvent & apply gun oil. Old time recipe but it works beutifully...rust cn be a problem here in the deep south.

stevelyn
August 11, 2007, 12:08 PM
Throw a Bullfrog VpCI emmitter in the safe along with any other method or remedy you try.

http://www.rustbloc.com

Joe Demko
August 11, 2007, 12:21 PM
I use Ballistol to wipe the guns down before putting them away. My gun cabinet is in the basement rec room, but I run a dehumidifier down there anyway so there are no problems with rust.

Lonestar49
August 11, 2007, 05:35 PM

Not having the humidity problems of most, here in Calif., in my small pistol gun safe, I have just thrown 8 of those small salt-tabs, enclosed in a plastic like BIG PILL that come with many over the counter medicines that suck up any moisture to keep the pills dry for long periods of time. 4 per Top and Bottom trays, one per corner..

No rust, don't know if they do much, but can't hurt or, should I say, hasn't hurt any of my guns.

LS

porterdog
August 11, 2007, 05:53 PM
Read this (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=251611&highlight=%22kitty+litter%22), it's good.

Lonestar49
August 11, 2007, 06:44 PM

Maybe they're Sodium, not salt, but will remove until I'm sure of what is good and what is not, and what they really are.

Thanks

LS

DBR
August 11, 2007, 10:10 PM
Eezox is the best nongrease rust protection I have found, I have been using it since 1994. Unlike Rig, you don't have to remove it before you can use the gun.

http://www.eezox.com/

Just follow the directions.

Lonestar49
August 11, 2007, 10:42 PM

Yep, I use it on all my guns as well.. no rust

EEZOX all the way.

LS

highfive
August 12, 2007, 09:47 AM
This have been really helpful, thanks guys Now I'm just buying some of this products so my guns will be all nice. I guess down here in Texas is just my closet that gets too humid or something. But it won't bother my guns anymore

P97
August 12, 2007, 10:00 AM
My Safe guns gets sprayed twice a year with Eezox. My CCW gets sprayed once a month in Summer and every 3 months in Winter. I have no rust. :D

QuickRick
August 12, 2007, 05:21 PM
I'm with EdLaver on this one. Corrosion-X is the very best rust preventive I have found to date. A trick which has been around for decades and many still swear by is to keep a small light bulb burning 24/365 inside the safe/gun cabinet. Might be worth trying if you could find a way to rig the bulb without heat being a problem....

orionengnr
August 14, 2007, 02:50 PM
Another Eezox fan here. I have read two different corosion tests and Eezox did exceptionally well in both of them. I've been using it for about two years now.

The only downside is it's not the easiest stuff to find, but there is a guy on fleaBay that has various sizes, decent shipping, etc.

I also have a GoldenRod in my safe. I'm in Texas as well, and have zero problems with rust, even on the GF's XD, which is said to be somewhat more susceptible to rusting.

If you have a "problem child", one more thing to try is Armadillo Coat by Blue Wonder. Available at Bass Pro and multiple places online...

If you enjoyed reading about "how to get rid of rust??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!