Downpayment On A 686

PDA

glassman
August 10, 2007, 01:19 PM
Stopped by the local gun shop to ask about another matter and saw a pre-lock 686 that was in great condition. In this shop, a new one sells for $650 and the price on this one was $450. I wound up putting $100 down so they would hold it for me. I have a couple of questions that I'm sure some of the pro's here can answer.
First, when did S&W start using MIM parts and is there a way to tell if this pistol has them?
Second, The finish on this gun is a bit dull (I think from benign neglect) and would like to know if using a metal polish like 'Flitz' and a dremel wheel will hurt this gun?
Thanks in advance for the input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Downpayment On A 686" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrBorland
August 10, 2007, 01:27 PM
As far as MIM parts on a 686, a recent thread discussed some of this. As to when they started appearing, check out ArchAngel's reply (#5):

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=294588

lesjones
August 10, 2007, 01:28 PM
If there's a deep hollow groove on the back of the trigger it's an MIM trigger.

glassman
August 10, 2007, 01:42 PM
Thank you MRBORLAND and LESJONES for your quick responses. Archangels post told me exactly what I wanted to know and the tip on 'hollow grooved trigger' is something I can use immediately.

DAdams
August 10, 2007, 05:00 PM
The finish on this gun is a bit dull (I think from benign neglect) and would like to know if using a metal polish like 'Flitz' and a dremel wheel will hurt this gun?

Make certain you don't have a 686 with a "bead blasted" finish. It may be dull by design and Flitz and a Dremel may change a finish you wished you hadn't.

If it is indeed just wear and tear that's a different issue. You may wish to avoid the Dremel in favor of elbow grease and Flitz in favor of Mother's. Do a search on Mother's Polish. It gets high marks although I have never had cause to use it.

Go through the photos of 686s from this thread.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=257401
You will see photos and references to bead blasted finishes, including my own 686 3inch CS-1.

Don't forget to join up.

glassman
August 10, 2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks DAdams for the advice on the polish. The pistol I'm getting is not bead blasted but has some honest wear on it. I'm a little compulsive about the care and feeding of my pistols (don't own any long guns..yet) and want them all to look and run as best as possible. I did visit the thread you suggested and got some good tips and got to look at some great pics. Thanks again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Downpayment On A 686" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!