Most Accurate Out of Box Bolt Action Poll

PDA

Savage92
August 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
What is the most accurate bolt action rifle out of the box.

Savage 10 Series

Remington 700

Browning A-Bolt

Winchester 70

Ruger 77

CZ 550

or any other factory bolt action you can think of.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most Accurate Out of Box Bolt Action Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Outlaws
August 10, 2007, 10:08 PM
Its a toss up at that price point. But I am sure Savage and CZ will get ample support.

General Geoff
August 10, 2007, 10:09 PM
Accuracy International.

gunnie
August 10, 2007, 10:56 PM
upon my casting of an "other" vote, i see those who feel the same are currently tied for second place with the remington...

perhaps you excluded too many wepons?

or failed to add a price range caveot?

NOT TRYING TO BE A JERK, JUST ASKING.

gunnie

Savage92
August 10, 2007, 11:02 PM
I wanted to only include hunting type non custom rifles and those were the only brands I could think of.

hexidismal
August 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
There probably aren't too many members who have had the opportunity to try each of those rifles, and even less so that have tried them all right out of the box. This poll really isn't going to go anywhere useful. It'll just be a brand favorites and post the one you own contest.

mustanger98
August 10, 2007, 11:24 PM
Another problem with the poll is a question of how many of us, having experience with any of the given rifles, actually bought one new-in-box.

My accurate-out-of-the-box rifle is that Savage Model 11GL .243Winchester I talk about. Thing is, this rifle has sights on the barrel, so I was able to shoot it right out of the box instead of having to mount a scope first. The other NIB rifle was a Model 70 Classic Compact which required mounting a scope before it could be fired, therefore, it wasn't right out of the box when it was first fired. One's as good a rifle for accuracy as the other. Ruger's M77 was mentioned... the one I've had experience with was just as good, but it was bought used, so I can't comment on how it did right out of the box even though it did come with a Simmons 3-9x40 in Ruger factory rings.

So this poll probably leaves a lot of us out for lack of experience with NIB rifles with sights on the barrel as well as a lot of us not buying NIB rifles to begin with.

koja48
August 10, 2007, 11:35 PM
Savage based on my personal experience. Shot every one except the CZ.

jmr40
August 10, 2007, 11:37 PM
If you have never tried a Tikka you don't know what you are missing. I have been a Remington guy for 30+ years until trying the Tikka t-3. I have owned or at least shot all but the CZ 550 and the only gun I have shot that compares to the Tikka is a 35 year old model 700 that I have.

byf43
August 10, 2007, 11:39 PM
Remington 700.

Of the NEW bolt action rifles that I've owned, they have all been Remingtons, and all were extremely accurate.

Haven't owned the other rifles.

Based my vote on my experience.

Savage92
August 11, 2007, 12:22 AM
By out of the box i meant not customized or changing the gun itself, i didn't mean not mounting a scope on it.

Hypnogator
August 11, 2007, 01:17 AM
My Remington 700BDL in .300 Win Mag shot sub-moa groups right out of the box. Still does.:cool:

GunTech
August 11, 2007, 01:22 AM
AI AW, Remington 40X, FN SPR. Depnds on the ammo and what you consider 'out of the box'.

FN guarantees 1 MOA from their SPR. The rifle will typically shoot 1/4 MOA, as will a 40X or AI. There are a few other rifles that will do the same.

While there are supposedly a number fo hinting rifles that will do this, they won't shoot MOA consistently - that is day in, day out 5 round groups into 1.042 inches at 100 yards predictable, pretty much every single time.

trueblue1776
August 11, 2007, 01:24 AM
Sako/Tikka

That's like Cadillac/Geo, ;)

Sako would get my vote, but default to Rem 700.

AI? I guess somebody thought this was a most expensive poll.

Old 112
August 11, 2007, 01:25 AM
I voted for Savage because my two 22-250s and one 30/06, purchased in '80 and '81, were inch or less(5 shot) with my loads in a couple of sessions on the range. But my only 700, an ADL 30/06 purchased new in '06, produced one inch 3 shot groups with my loads in the second session on the range. I do not shoot many, if any, 5 shot groups with the 30/06 anymore. Anyway, I like my Remington just fine. Old 112

RNB65
August 11, 2007, 01:27 AM
Rem 700 VSSF/Sendero

General Geoff
August 11, 2007, 01:43 AM
AI? I guess somebody thought this was a most expensive poll.

You get what you pay for, and I challenge anyone to attempt to outshoot an AI rifle in the same chambering with any of the rifles listed in the poll past 500 yards, with identical scopes and bipods or bench rests.

Don't Tread On Me
August 11, 2007, 03:28 AM
Polls like that don't work here. If you read around THR, there's a lot of Savage fanboyism. There are quite a few owners of Savages and they'll vote for their rifle.

GarandOwner
August 11, 2007, 04:46 AM
How about a Chey-tac M-200. Out of the box it is accurate to over 1.5 km for the civilian version :D

rangerruck
August 11, 2007, 04:48 AM
not enough people have fired cz's, apparently. especially if you get a 550 in their EP-1 mod, or called something like that , very tacticool.

Ifishsum
August 11, 2007, 05:11 AM
Of my bolt guns I own 3 Savages, 2 Remingtons and a Winchester 70, and I've shot 2 Tikkas, a couple more Savages and one A-bolt all fresh out of the box. I voted for Savage because they have all been consistently good shooters. I'd put Tikka in a very close second and Remington 3rd. I have never fired a CZ but I've heard good things about them.

I actually like the Winchester 70 the best but it took a bedding job to get it to shoot with my Savages.

Outlaws
August 11, 2007, 06:18 AM
You get what you pay for, and I challenge anyone to attempt to outshoot an AI rifle in the same chambering with any of the rifles listed in the poll past 500 yards, with identical scopes and bipods or bench rests.

So a $6000 rifle against a $700 rifle? How about putting an AI up against something a little bit closer price wise? To just say AI is the most accurate rifle out of the box is false.

For $1500 you can get a Cooper in .308. I bet that would give an AI a run for its money at 500 yards.

General Geoff
August 11, 2007, 06:27 AM
Hey, nobody ever stipulated a price cap. ;)

If you asked what the fastest out-of-box production car was, you wouldn't see people arguing between Corvettes and Vipers, and if you did, they'd be wrong. Bugatti Veyron is the fastest as yet, unless the Koenigsegg CCXR has officially dethroned it. And they ain't cheap.

Neither is an Accuracy International.

For what it's worth though, I agree that a price range should be included in polls like this, because otherwise they're pretty much contests of who's got the deepest pockets.

redneck2
August 11, 2007, 09:32 AM
If you start to hand load much, you'll find out that there are as many or more variations in ammo that account for accuracy as much as the firearm itself.

As for production products, if a given Remington was built with brand new tooling versus the last Savage off the line with old tooling, the Remington would be better. If it was the other way around, the Savage would be better.

cracked butt
August 11, 2007, 10:24 AM
Sako would get my vote followed by CZ.

Ol` Joe
August 11, 2007, 10:41 AM
The most accurate rifle I`ve seen out of the box was a Cooper varmite a fellow shooter had at the range once. There are alot of very good Savages also out there.

GunTech
August 11, 2007, 10:48 AM
Depends on what rifles you are comparing it to. Cooper is a fine, accurate hunting/varminting rifle. But it falls short as a precision rifle.

General Geoff,

I had an AI AW and now have a 40X in an AICS. Both shoot about the same, with a difference of about $3000. However, technically the 40X is not an 'out-of-the-box' rifle. AIs are nice, but you can build a rifle for much less that will equal or outperfrom one.

We really need a price cap for this to mean anything. Something like an DSR-1 will shoot really wel, but it's out of most people's price range

Mike128
August 11, 2007, 10:49 AM
Personally, I'm torn. My best shooting rifle is a Savage 112 in a 7 Rem mag that I would be willing to put up against ANY rifle. It's just one of those special factory rifles that the stars aligned on when it was built. I'm not posting how it shoots since no one would believe me. Only thing done to it was the trigger job, no bedding. Of course weighing in at 15lbs with scope helps but it's still a shooter. Other Savages I shot have all been good but not as good as this rifle. Trust me, I know this is a unique rifle.

I went Sako. I have a couple and shot others, they all shoot well, from pre-garcias to the 75. Usually under an inch for 5 shots and that is Sako's expectation. If you want accuracy try Sako's single shot 6 PPC if you have the chance to find one. WOW.

The 700's usually need a little tweaking to get the most out of it. Once that happens it can shoot with a lot of guns.

Only thing I haven't shot is the CZ. I would be interested to hear from users on how it performs.

Geno
August 11, 2007, 10:52 AM
12 F/TR Precision Target Rifle: This rifle, when tested by the hunting "talking Heads" grouped .5" at 500 yards!!!

Now, accuracy per my experience as based on previously owned rifles:

Sako FinnBear .270 Win (single-hole groups at 100 yards)
Wea. Mark V .30-06 Sprg...Japan-made (cloverleaf at 100 yards
Remington 700V 6MM Rem (3/8" at 300 yards)

cracked butt
August 11, 2007, 10:59 AM
12 F/TR Precision Target Rifle

This rifle, when tested by the hunting "talking Heads" grouped .5" at 500 yards!!!!:scrutiny:

General Geoff
August 11, 2007, 12:15 PM
AIs are nice, but you can build a rifle for much less that will equal or outperfrom one.

Never said you couldn't. Then again (using the car analogy), you can make a Viper faster than a Veyron for a fraction of the cost as well. The question was "out of the box" accuracy.

Outlaws
August 11, 2007, 01:57 PM
Depends on what rifles you are comparing it to. Cooper is a fine, accurate hunting/varminting rifle. But it falls short as a precision rifle.

Whats your definition of "precision"? Obviously a custom made competition target rifles will out perform it, but even for most people who are a really good shot, a Cooper will most likely not the be weakest link.

But either way, I don't think I would list Cooper in the poll because it is 2-3x the price of the other rifles.

General Geoff,
The Veyron hurts your argument IMO because even though it is a "production" car, it is hard to label it that with a straight face. How many are on the road right now or in the hands of collectors? < 250?
AI can at least claim a more normal production number. But if under 250 units made over the course of a couple years is a "production", there are more than a few custom rifles makers who's rifles could now be labeled "production rifles", thus removing anything AI makes from the title of "Most Accurate Out of Box Bolt Action."

PRE 64 JOE
August 11, 2007, 11:24 PM
How bout a single shot .700 nitro express, gets .700 one shot groups all day. :D

Charles S
August 11, 2007, 11:57 PM
I have experience with all of the named rifles except the CZ. The only two rifles that would shoot to my standards out of the box were Savages, and Sakos/Tikkas. The others with just a little tuning have been quite accurate with the exception of the single Ruger M77 I owned.

Of the Tikkas and Savages my Tikkas are superior out of the box.

DnPRK
August 12, 2007, 01:22 AM
Tubb 2000C was pretty accurate out of the box.:p

bkjeffrey
August 12, 2007, 02:59 PM
I owned a Rem 700P 300wm, 1moa on a good day with factory ammo. But i recently invested in an out of the box FN SPR A3, maybe its out of the price range here, but for OTB its by far the most accurate. .5moa all day, regardless of what type of ammo, rain or snow it performes. FN's use a pre 64 Winchester action if im not mistaken. Just my 2 cents

mustanger98
August 12, 2007, 03:03 PM
bkjeffrey, You're shooting in snow if Gulfport MS? :confused: I gotta get one of those rifles. Maybe it'll help cool off up here... .5MOA would be icing on the cake.

trueblue1776
August 12, 2007, 03:48 PM
mustager-
Gulfport is a military town.

Texas Gunman
August 12, 2007, 04:26 PM
Have had four on the listed pole, my vote go towards the Savage 10FP.

TG

bkjeffrey
August 12, 2007, 08:05 PM
Haha....yea, snow in gport. Just kiddin, sorry no snow here in gulfport. But my home town is Ely, NV. Year round snow there, and yes that spr's POI does climb a bit, the groups do seem to get better. The proverbial cold bore shot every time! ha

El Tejon
August 12, 2007, 08:12 PM
That I've owned, a Cooper. Rifle shot like it had eyes.

Lots of better stuff out there. Depends on the size of your wallet.

mustanger98
August 12, 2007, 09:58 PM
But my home town is Ely, NV. Year round snow there...

That explains a lot. And a rifle that performs so well in nasty stuff sounds even better.:D

trueblue1776, I see what you're saying, but notice bkjeffrey got my joke.

Howard Roark
August 12, 2007, 10:19 PM
I second the Tubb2000.

Soybomb
August 13, 2007, 03:43 AM
How about a Chey-tac M-200. Out of the box it is accurate to over 1.5 km for the civilian version
I wouldn't give a dime to a company that voluntarily makes their big guns leo only.

Essex County
August 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
I currently own/have owned everything on your list. Ruger 77's and recent 700's I wouldn't give saferoom to. All are suitably accurate for hunting. Are you planning to be shooting black flies at a couple hundred yards? Essex

Savage92
August 13, 2007, 05:10 PM
I wanted to know what would be the best rifle for sillhouettes and other target shooting (factory original and under $1500).

So are Ruger 77s that inaccurate. What accuracy could you get on average with the ammo it shot best with.

jaholder1971
August 13, 2007, 05:50 PM
IMO Ruger products offer acceptable accuracy for hunting, but simply aren't the tackdrivers that the others offer and Ruger has never cared to make them any better.

EdLaver
August 13, 2007, 05:51 PM
Not listed...Accuracy International gets my vote.

mustanger98
August 13, 2007, 06:32 PM
Regarding the inaccuracy of Ruger's rifles, when life deals you lemons, make lemonade, or so the old saying goes. In my experience, accuracy improved exponentially with finding the right handload. One M77Mk2 in .30-06 printed tight groups with a 150gr RN softpoint, but wouldn't group worth the trigger squeeze with most factory loads.

I wanted to know what would be the best rifle for sillhouettes and other target shooting (factory original and under $1500).

This shines a different light on the whole thread. I'd say get a .308 so you have enough bullet to knock the sillouettes over on the 500yd line. Get a Savage because they are so accurate. Get a light barrel because if you're shooting offhand standing, the heavy barrel "sniper" versions are going to wear you out trying to hold them up over the course of fire. That said, if I had a Ruger to take into that game, I might, but it depends on the results of handloading.

Savage92
August 13, 2007, 08:30 PM
I notice that i have gotten a lot of lemons from ruger.
5/14 to be exact. and 3/6 rotary magazines.

bkjeffrey
August 14, 2007, 08:08 PM
Fn Spr 308:)

lunde
August 23, 2007, 09:59 AM
GunTech, you wrote:Cooper is a fine, accurate hunting/varminting rifle. But it falls short as a precision rifle.I'd beg to differ. I have owned several brands of bolt action rifles, and once I owned a Cooper Arms rifle, everything else became a distant second. I own ten of their rifles right now, and they have performed out-of-the-box, except to mount a quality scope. I have never fiddled with their triggers, because I never felt a need to do so. I just used my M21 Phoenix in .204 Ruger at Cooper Arms' 2007 One-Shot Competition, and my bullet hole was a mere 0.1 inches from the aiming point on the painting at which I shot. The shooting distance was 150 yards. One of the eight other shooters of the painting (there were five paintings and forty competitors in total) was a hair closer than me, and won it. In preparation, I shot three-shot 150-yard groups that measured in the very low 0.3s (0.322 inches, done in South Dakota at my dad's range, and 0.316 inches, done at the event prior to the competition proper). I am using the Sierra 32gr BlitzKing bullet, and muzzle velocity is a tad over 4,000fps.

Of course, the purpose of owning Cooper Arms rifles is not to primarily shoot at paper, but to hunt. The rifle above has taken a couple hundred prairie dogs thus far. I have other Cooper Arms rifles that have taken hundreds more. I have used their rifles chambered in .308 Winchester and 6.5x55 SE to take antelope in Wyoming.

BTW, the smallest group I have ever shot, three shots at 100 yards, was done with my Cooper Arms M22 Phoenix in 6.5x55 SE, using a hunting, not match, bullet:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/m22-phoenix-65x55-group-02232006.jpg

Yeah, but can that be repeated? Sure:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/m22-phoenix-65x55-group-09162006.jpg

My dad originally got me into these rifles. He would, on occasion, send to me one of their catalogs, with his latest acquisition noted. My first thought was "why would I buy a single-shot bolt-action rifle? I want something with a magazine, and the more it held, the better." After trying magazine-fed bolt-action rifles, specifically using them in the field, such as for prairie dog hunting, I discovered the wisdom of single-shot actions. BTW, my dad currently owns nineteen of their rifles. Two of them were gifts from me. He used one of those two gifted rifles, specifically an M21 Montana Varminter in .204 Ruger, to win the painting at last Saturday's 2007 One-Shot Competition.

Afy
August 23, 2007, 07:55 PM
Sako TRG 42

quicktime
August 23, 2007, 11:07 PM
G&E (Grunig and Elmiger) Easily the best trigger and smoothest action on a factory gun. But all of my guns came in a box at some point so in that case I vote for my Nesika.

doc2rn
August 24, 2007, 12:01 AM
I have owned all of them at one point or another, but the best shooter straight from the box is the Ruger 77 then Remington 700. I held on to those two because with either I could knock the stinger off a bee at 100 yds. Not an exact quote of my gunnies but close enough.

Fish Springs
August 24, 2007, 11:45 PM
XB-40c, M700, M788

Most accurate for the money: 788

If you enjoyed reading about "Most Accurate Out of Box Bolt Action Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!