Model 70 youth stock?

PDA

Saint Dennis
August 10, 2007, 10:05 PM
I would like to re-stock a post 64 (probably just post 64) Winchester Model 70 in .270 caliber for my wife. She is a petite Lady. Does anyone make a youth stock for a model 70? I have not turned up much with google. I am to the point of buying a recoil pad and getting out the saw. Also, if I have to cut the stock, she has some muscle atrophy in her neck and one of those pads you see on target shotguns that can twist slightly might be a bonus. Any problems with one of those on a hunting rifle I'm not seeing? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 70 youth stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
August 11, 2007, 01:09 AM
"...has some muscle atrophy in her neck..." Any .270 is likely going to hurt her. Talk to her doctor first.
Winchester did make a Model 70 Compact(13" LOP), in .243, 7mm-08 and .308. at one time. However, the stock won't fit a .270. Action's too short.
If you opt to cut, use a mitre box or mitre saw with several layers of masking tape on the stock and cut along the tape.
I don't really know if a shotgun target recoil pad will fit without a bit of adjusting. You're fitting everything else though.

Saint Dennis
August 11, 2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks Sunray. Recoil isn't a problem. She's shot the rifle plenty. Killed deer with it. Heck, she's taking my .444 Marlin bear hunting next month. I just want her rifle to fit her. I was hoping for a laminite, ("they're prettier", she says), youth stock to drop the works in.

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 70 youth stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!