Nagant Info

PDA

alligator94
August 10, 2007, 11:07 PM
Was thinking about getting a Nagant, and was wondering what anyone thought of this one?? http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_Laminated_M44_Mosin_Nagant_7.62x54R_Rifle.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Nagant Info" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
August 11, 2007, 12:36 AM
Go for it, but snag a couple of cases of ammo now.:cool:

The Deer Hunter
August 11, 2007, 12:39 AM
What he said^

Well, you might also want to consider getting a 91/30 if your more sensitive to recoil as the shorter barrel produces more.

Fun guns, here are some sites:
www.7.62x54r.com
www.mosinnagant.net
www.surplusrifle.com

RNB65
August 11, 2007, 12:45 AM
The M44 is a nice rifle but it makes a lot of noise and has a brutal muzzle blast (it's been suggested that you can stick a couple of Ball Park Franks onto the end of the bayonet and they'll be fully cooked after only a few rounds ;)). Also, many people say that you must shoot it with the bayonet extended for it to be accurate.

You might want to look at the full-size 91/30 instead - no bayonet and less muzzle blast. Even better, get one of each. Both are a lot of fun to shoot.

Harry Paget Flashman
August 11, 2007, 01:29 AM
Aim Surplus is a good outfit but Centerfire Systems has the laminated stock M44's for $69.99. I just got 3 and they came with slings and ammo pouches. With shipping, my 3 came to $235.79. All three were 1945 built and were beautiful. Great bluing and near flawless stocks. http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62081&d=1186600986

Essex County
August 12, 2007, 12:48 PM
As others have said the 91-30 is more fun to shoot. The guns themselves tend to be crude, unlovely and old fashioned. But all of them have a charm of their own that I'm hooked on. Any will last you longer than a cheap dinner out without and wine. Get several.............Essex

alligator94
August 12, 2007, 01:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone here uses these for hunting?? Or, what distance do you normally shoot these out too?

trueblue1776
August 12, 2007, 01:06 PM
Alligator-
I use my Mosin for larger game. Finding the right bullet to make it accurate is key. It's a monster when you get it dialed in.

jpwilly
August 12, 2007, 02:09 PM
Nice M44's...I picked up a 1946 model a couple of years ago and have since modified for my own enjoyment. The manufactures after the war produced a much higher quality rifle than during the war years for obvious reasons. I fitted a muzzle break to mine to tame the recoil and it works very well. I also handload the 7.62x54R and found that a mild dose of Varget and a 150gr Hornady SP works very well at the range and the S&B 180gr SP shoot pretty good for factory loads. This is my "Scout Rifle" and it will put ten rounds into the palm of your hand at 100yrds. Decent enough for what it is.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/ScoutPaint005.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Nagant Info" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!