If Savage starting making the 99 would you buy it?

PDA

phantomak47
August 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
A few years ago when I got into deer hunting, I decided that I liked it enough that I wanted to buy a dedicated hunting rifle (also I was sick of borrowing rifles). Our long time mechanic had amassed a rather large and interesting gun collection over the years so I let him know that I was in the market for a deer rifle. He ended up calling me telling me to come over to his shop one Saturday morning as he had brought some rifles from his home for my inspection. Laying on an old table that had seen its share of oil and car parts, were an old winchester 3030 and a savage 99. He told me that both rifles had severed him well over the years and that I could have my pick of either. After close inspection, for some unknown reason I was drawn to the old Savage 99 in .300 savage (although the winchester was nice), so I paid him a measly $300 which was much more than fair. He went on to tell me that it was his fathers hunting rifle and also the last one he bought in the early 1950s (he himself was about 60 years old and had hunting in the northeast his whole life), so I should take good care of it. The next few years I was able to buy some of his collection and about four years ago he passed on , so I was lucky to have been able to find some guns with some character and soul.

My savage 99 has served me well, as I have taken a deer in Alabama and South Texas in the last few years. I have often thought about getting some hunting rifles, but I am still drawn to my old Savage 99, its almost like its got a personality to it. In many different deer camps that I have hunted, I am asked either two questions, the typical question is, "What kind of hunting rifle is that, I have never seen one before" which is usually from some guy with the newest magnum bolt rifle who doesn't know much about lever guns. Or I get the old timer who remembers seeing a lot of 99s way back when.

Before its demise, there was a lot of talk about introducing the savage 99 in 30'06, but that never happened. If the Savage 99 was built again would you buy one and what calibers would you like to see it in?

If you enjoyed reading about "If Savage starting making the 99 would you buy it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
August 11, 2007, 07:32 PM
I have a couple/three of 'em left hanging around here somewhere (mostly in 308), and I like 'em OK. However, I'd not put the money into a new one unless they came up with a bombproof extractor design.

A Savage 99 in 358 would be a terrific thing; very few were made and yet that chambering suits the role of the levergun well. A 260 variant with a 24" barrel would be nice, for a good all-around whitetail rifle with legs to spare. :)

seeker_two
August 11, 2007, 07:34 PM
Yep....in .308/.243/.260 and .223/6.8SPC action lengths & calibers.... :cool:

Put that .308 MarlinHornadayLeverloutionMoneymakerExpress monstrosity to rest.... :rolleyes:

Savage92
August 11, 2007, 07:41 PM
I would, the 99 is a great gun that i think savage should reintroduce.

db_tanker
August 11, 2007, 09:31 PM
You would see that little cartoon dust-devil and piece of scrap paper twisting about where I WAS standing when they announced the sale of those rifles.

I could only hope though that they would introduce them in the "proper" calibers...

300 Savage
250 Savage

AFTER those two, then they could go and chamber the rest. :D

I would grab a 250 in a heartbeat...it would make a dandy white-tail rifle down here in the pines of SE Texas.

D

Nameless_Hobo
August 11, 2007, 09:42 PM
I'd buy one in .308. Stupid idea to stop making them.

Dave Markowitz
August 11, 2007, 09:52 PM
I'd like one in .250-3000 with a rotary mag.

tkendrick
August 11, 2007, 09:55 PM
I have a featherweight .300 built in the late 40's. Great little rifle for hunting, but the barrel heats up and accuracy really drops off after about the third shot, so it doesn't work well for extended sessions at the range.

I have always wanted one of the take-down models that they made in .22 HP and .410 shotshell.

Another fine old gun that fell victim to poor sales, probably due to poor marketing. You almost never saw them being advertised in in any venue.

I always thought it strange, too, that the decision to stop making them came out just a couple of years shy of the 100th anniversary. I think if I had been at Savage at the time, I would have held out long enough to come out with a Centennial model.

DorGunR
August 11, 2007, 10:15 PM
I love the Savage 99 and I have three of 'em.
.303 Savage
.300 Savage
.243 Winchester

Father Knows Best
August 11, 2007, 10:17 PM
I love the Savage 99, but I don't necessarily think they should start making them again. There are a lot of them out there in the used market in very good condition and for very good prices.

rangerruck
August 11, 2007, 10:35 PM
I'd like to see it again, in 243, and the 250-3000 , these were the two rarest cals, that they made.i aslo would dig a 22 hornet, and a 6.5 swede or grendel.

gezzer
August 12, 2007, 02:31 AM
No I would not. It would be a redesigned and not to the quality of the old manufacture,

I own over 30 pre war 1899's in various calibers

Spend the money for a real 1899!!!

Ndenway
August 12, 2007, 02:40 AM
I'm very pleased with my 308win 99, it's got approx 80% finish and decent grained blond wood, the triggers a bit touchy, but I got used to it pdq,

the dude at the pawn shop just didn't know what he had, when I asked for a cash price, he said the best he could do was $115,

all said and done I walked out smiling with the rifle for just a tad less that $125,

I've taken a couple of deer and several hogs with it without any problems.

ETA: I'd buy a new one if they started making them again.

I'd like my new one to have a med/heavy contour to the 22" 308w chambered barrel, 3.5lb trigger pull, graduated receiver mounted peep sights, rotory mag, no checkering on the dark walnut stocks and a blk parked finish;

now for the wish list:

they'd be offered in field grade with three barrel lengths,18",20" and 22", barrel contours would be light, sporter and med heavy, with the occasional run/special order for 16" and 24" barrels,

oh they'd be chambered in either 223r, 22-250, 6mm rem, 243w, 250sav,6.5 grendel, 260r, 6.8spc, 7-08r, 7.62x39, 308w,338fed and 358w.

dracphelan
August 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
I would love to have a Savage 99 in 308 and/or 30-06. I also think it would be interesting in 223, 7.62x39 and 3030.

koja48
August 12, 2007, 10:58 AM
250-3000 would definitely pique my interest . . .

R.W.Dale
August 12, 2007, 11:37 AM
I would buy myself another REM 7600 long before I bought another savage 99

boomvark
August 12, 2007, 11:39 AM
I'd jump all over it, especially in .308 or (perhaps even more so) in .260 Remington. But the old Savage chamberings were good, too.

Clipper
August 12, 2007, 12:18 PM
It's also one of the strongest actions made. 'Small Arms of the World' reported that when properly scaled up, it was found to be sufficiently strong for chambering calibers as powerful as .50BMG...

DorGunR
August 12, 2007, 12:35 PM
Posted by Geezer
I own over 30 pre war 1899's in various calibers

Sir I am in awe........I would love to own 30 Savage 99's. BTW the one that I own chambered for .303 Savage was made in 1910. :)

JonB
August 12, 2007, 01:11 PM
Got one in .243

jkingrph
August 12, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yes, If they would make it with the rotary magazine, and same stock form as earlier models( before pressed checkering). A takedown model and in the classic calibers would be nice.

Joe Demko
August 12, 2007, 01:22 PM
Got 2. One in .300 Savage and one in .308. The .300 is older, has the rotary magazine, and nicer wood. In fact, it is generally superior to the .308. Quality was falling off on the 99 toward the end of production.

yhtomit
August 12, 2007, 01:27 PM
"He told me that both rifles had severed him well over the years and that I could have my pick of either."

That is the worst answer I have ever seen to the appropriate cautious inquiry "So, why are you selling this gun?"

:)

timothy

Gordon
August 12, 2007, 02:38 PM
"Quality was falling off on the 99 toward the end of production."

understatement of the year and why a new one prolly wouldn't fly. Maybe Norinco could pull it off though!

ranger335v
August 12, 2007, 03:01 PM
I would love to have a new 99 IF it had the rotary mag, a nicer stock with diminisons for scope use and chambered any medium power deer cartridge such as .243, 250 S, .260, 7-08, 300 S, .308 but question how well it would sale to today's stainless, plastic and magnum market.

As many manufactors have learned, it's hard to underestimate the public's willingness to buy junky but new stuff if it's hyped in enough slick advertising. That would leave a modern, well made 99 with stiff market prospects - how many newbies would get excited over a 110 year old design chambered with modest cartridges, even tho it would serve their needs far better than the latest short mag, "long range" rifle with a cool tupper-ware black stock, etc.?

phantomak47
August 12, 2007, 04:05 PM
That is the worst answer I have ever seen to the appropriate cautious inquiry "So, why are you selling this gun?"

He was selling me this gun and later one he sold me a few more because he was very sick and dying. His son didnt want any of his collection and he knew I would take care of his guns.

deerslayer64d
August 12, 2007, 04:42 PM
Id take a new 99A in 250-3000 to go with the old one !

Sistema1927
August 12, 2007, 05:03 PM
I have yet to see a used Savage 99 in .308 that meets my discriminating tastes. If I did, i would buy it. Since I have yet to see one, it would be nice for Savage to start making them again, but only if they didn't cut any corners in making it.

yhtomit
August 12, 2007, 05:10 PM
phantomak47 -- Hey, sorry, I was just ribbing with you, because of the difference between "served" and "severed." I wouldn't want to get a gun that had severed *me* :)

timothy

phantomak47
August 12, 2007, 08:12 PM
Its cool, my spell check was truly not on!

One of Many
August 12, 2007, 08:50 PM
The Savage 99 required a lot of hand fitting of parts, and that made the cost of production so high that the profit margins became too small to sustain the model in the lineup.

When the competition can sell a gun for 80% of your retail price, that performs as well as your product, you have to reduce your production costs. That is why the quality fell off over the last decade of production; Savage was trying to keep the 99 alive - they even had them manufactured overseas in an effort to reduce the cost to a point where they could make a profit at the market price the competition set.

As the quality dropped, so did the demand, and the 99 was eliminated due to market forces. The Savage 99 would probably cost $2000 to produce today with decent quality, and not many hunters want to pay that much for a deer, elk or bear hunting gun.

The design is generally not capable of the accuracy most people expect today - My model 99 in .308Win will shoot into a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards, using a solid bench rest and a 6 power scope, but that may be the exception rather than the rule when it comes to accuracy of the model 99.

If I had $750 to spend on a hunting rifle, and I knew that rifle was capable of 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards using standard factory ammo in several different loads, I would then consider other characteristics of the rifle. Style, weight, handiness, fit to the shooter, quality and reliability of the gun, reputation and service record of the manufacturer, etc. I like the Savage model 99; it feels good, balances well, fits me well. I would gladly pay $750 for a new Savage model 99 in a different hunting caliber, provided the accuracy, reliability and quality were on par with other rifles available on the market.

I do not think that Savage can actually make and sell the model 99 at a competitive price. That means that people that want to use them will buy used from previous owners, and they are now collectors items, so the prices of used guns are climbing above the level most hunters are willing to pay for a gun that will get wet, scratched and banged around in the field.

Vern Humphrey
August 12, 2007, 09:56 PM
If the Savage 99 was built again would you buy one and what calibers would you like to see it in?
My dad killed a tiger in Sumatra with a 99 Savage in .250-3000. Later in Ethopia, he killed a lion, a cheetah, a kudu and many other head of big game -- but he sold the rifle!

I would buy a 99 Savage -- if it had the rotary magazine and the cartridge counter. I'd prefer a .308 as my first choice and a .358 as my second purchase -- and a .250-3000 with a tip of the hat to my dad.

SwampWolf
August 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
They were expensive to manufacture. Maybe they could be priced competitively if made by Howa, Miroku or some other overseas outfit. I like the tang-mounted safety and the rotary magazine on my 99 "Brush" gun chambered in .358 Winchester. Deer don't travel far when hit in the right place with a 200 grain SilverTip.

MrTuffPaws
August 16, 2007, 03:57 PM
No. I already have one in 300 Savage with a rotary mag. :D

earplug
August 16, 2007, 04:12 PM
If copies of the Winchester 97 and 95 can be built and sold.
A new 99 built on CNC machines should be possible.
I have A 1946 vintage .300 Savage that is just out of MOA, but it never shifts its zero. Been trouble free.

SlamFire1
August 16, 2007, 04:30 PM
One of Many, outstanding post!

There are some nice things about the Savage, always liked the rotary magazine. When I could get a Savage 99 I just did not see why I would want a lever action rifle over a bolt. Maybe there is some sort of a speed advantage, but I work the bolt from the shoulder and practice rapid fire at every High power match. If I want to go faster, gas gun is the route.

The lever action is a dated design concept. It is just hanging on by the fingernails.

Kentucky Windage
May 31, 2009, 08:38 PM
No. They're butt-ugly, to my eye, compared to other classic lever guns. Your opinion may vary...

R.W.Dale
May 31, 2009, 09:06 PM
No. They're butt-ugly, to my eye, compared to other classic lever guns. Your opinion may vary...

you grave robbed a 2yr old thread just to say that?????:scrutiny:

RX-178
May 31, 2009, 09:20 PM
In a word, yes.

Dr.Rob
May 31, 2009, 09:55 PM
Vern's dad was a bad-ass.

Sure Teddy smacked lions with a .405 Winchester, but Vern's dad did it with a Savage 99. Cool. And I'm NOT being ironic.

I never liked the strange look of the rifle or the (to me) weak attachment of the stock to the frame with one long bolt, but a lot of people swear by them. If Vern's dad's rifle came up for sale I'd consider buying it, just to trade/give/sell to Vern, thats a heck of a history!

Uncle Mike
May 31, 2009, 10:20 PM
If the Savage 99 was built again would you buy one and what calibers would you like to see it in?

oooo yes, in a heart beat! .250-3000

You know how they say hind sight is 20/20, well I must be blind!
had a chance to own one of those fine works of art and passed it up. Stupid!

Vern Humphrey
June 1, 2009, 09:15 AM
If Vern's dad's rifle came up for sale I'd consider buying it, just to trade/give/sell to Vern, thats a heck of a history!
If I ever find it, I'll give you a call.

He had the same rifle when working on the Marunion River in Venezuela (he was a doodlebugger -- oil exploration) during the Motoloni Indian uprising in the '40s. I can truthfully say my grandfather drove a covered wagon across the plains (from Nebraska to Oklahoma for the Land Rush at the age of 14), my dad was born in a log cabin and lived through an indian uprising.

RonE
June 1, 2009, 12:52 PM
Uncle Mike wrote: "oooo yes, in a heart beat! .250-3000

You know how they say hind sight is 20/20, well I must be blind!
had a chance to own one of those fine works of art and passed it up. Stupid!"

Don't feel too bad, I had a Mod 99 Takedown in .250-3000 and sold it in the late 70's. I'm still kicking myself.

Dr.Rob
June 1, 2009, 02:05 PM
Considering all the places that rifle went Vern, there might be an import/export record with the serial # somewhere, just a thought.

JShirley
June 1, 2009, 02:20 PM
I paid him a measly $300 which was much more than fair

For whom?

Anyway, if quality was high, and price was reasonable (less than $1K), or I was blessed with more money than sense, I'd love one in .250 Savage.

John

SavageManAntonio
August 22, 2009, 11:28 PM
I would buy a new one in a heart-beat and spend my savings for it. On a few conditions: It is made the same way as the post-war models with case-color-hardened lever, strengthened actions and in .250 or .300 Savage. I believe that they stopped making them because of the costly machining for the action/lever which made it hard to compete with sub-$600 bolt-actions. I believe that they have found it easy to sell their centennial models (model 14) in .300 Savage so finding buyers for a new '99 should be easy, especially in a limited run.

NCsmitty
August 23, 2009, 12:04 AM
I had a 99 chambered in 250-3000 back in the mid 60's. I had it d&T for a scope and it shot quite well but the lever lock up was a little springy and I stretched a few brass loading varmint bullets for it. I foolishly sold it, and eventually ended up with a Rem 40XB in 22-250, a truly amazing varmint gun.
I think a Savage 99 made today might be prohibitively expensive with the machining and hand fitting required. Perhaps the new era machining techniques could keep costs down

NCsmitty

garyhan
August 23, 2009, 12:48 AM
Assuming good quality and price not exceeding around $850, yes I would. .250 with rotary mag.

gary

lefteyedom
August 23, 2009, 01:05 AM
I would buy one if it had a old school rotary mag and bullet counter. With modern CNC machining Savage could build the 99 again and make a good profit.

I understand the wisdom of dropping the 99 and focusing on the bolt 110 line. Doing so saved the company but now would be a good time to bring it back.

mlkdvm
August 23, 2009, 01:40 AM
Savage did make a centennial model, the 99 CE in .300 Savage. It came in a fitted wooden case. Mine is unfired and the only 99 I've ever had. I've been thinking of getting one to shoot, preferably a .250. A new one in .257 Roberts would be nice.

Oohrah
August 23, 2009, 02:12 AM
They are a sweet little rifle. I have one, 99 F, that has a few outside rust bleamishes, so the price was $100 several years ago. Thought about scope, as my eyes have gone south. However the following info. It has a 9xx,xxx serial number and is in 308 Win. Nice wood and still has some case hardening on the lever with 95 % blue with a couple of shallow rust spots near the rear sight and on the barrel. Very tight smooth action, with a bright bore. Rotary magazine with a brass round counter. Accurate even with the open sights. Due to it's light weight, I thought recoil would be a factor to deal with, but really pleasent to shoot. Had some early Remington rifles that flat hurt off the bench, but tolerable on the hunt The 99 was fun to shoot in everyway. I know awhile back I considered sending it back to the factory to have the outside metal refinished, and recalled their starting price was about what I paid for it. Decided to just shoot and enjoy it.
Been really busy for several months, so have not been on THR until tonight.
See Vern is still active. Great guy who gave me outstanding tips on getting a Ruger 77/22 Hornet to shoot sub 1" groups with that skinny little barrel. Thanks again Vern

SwampWolf
August 23, 2009, 05:29 AM
I never liked the strange look of the rifle or the (to me) weak attachment of the stock to the frame with one long bolt

If you're referring to the stock thru-bolt, I think many would agree that this stock to receiver attachment design is inherently stronger than little screws affixing the stock to the receiver via the tang.

Hhrshooter
August 23, 2009, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't mind one in 300 savage or maybe, .358. Lever's are cool and Savage made a great one in the 99.

Rollis R. Karvellis
August 23, 2009, 11:02 AM
If I had the money it would be nice for the collection.

Molasses
August 23, 2009, 11:31 AM
I've already got two, so am kind of lukewarm on another unless the chambering is right. Was drooling over one in .284 last weekend that was juuust a little too rich for my blood (hint, hint).

22-rimfire
August 23, 2009, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't buy a new one.

Vern Humphrey
August 29, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'll take three -- in .250 Savage (my Dad's favorite), .308 Winchester and .358 Winchester.

pmeisel
August 30, 2009, 02:11 PM
First centerfire I ever shot was a .250 Savage, belonged to my pal Norm's dad. Great memory. Good looking gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "If Savage starting making the 99 would you buy it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!