Need to find diagram of rifle cartridge & bullet

PDA

JRW
August 11, 2007, 08:23 PM
I have to find a list of all the different parts of a rifle cartridge, but haven't been able to find anything on the internet after searching for a few hours. I know about the basic parts like bullet, case, primer and gun powder/propellant, but I need to get a lot more specific than that. Does anybody know if there is a web site where I can find the names of all the specific parts of the cartridge? Also I need to know the technical terms for the different parts/areas of the bullet as well. A big THANKS to anyone that can help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need to find diagram of rifle cartridge & bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CommanderPoopyduX
August 11, 2007, 08:33 PM
What other terms are you looking for? There is neck, shoulder, and rim on a rifle...how much more specific are you needing?

JRW
August 11, 2007, 08:40 PM
Keep 'em coming Commander. Those are the other terms I need. The diagram I have to fill in has 10 fill-in-the-blank spaces for the cartridge and 8 fill-in-the-blank spaces for the bullet. 3 down, 15 to go!

Vern Humphrey
August 11, 2007, 08:41 PM
Here's a place to start: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Ammunition.html

CommanderPoopyduX
August 11, 2007, 09:02 PM
Can you scan the diagrams and blanks? And it may do better in the reloading section.

redranger1
August 11, 2007, 09:24 PM
Case:

Flash Hole
Primer Pocket
Head
Extraction Groove
Web
Body
Shoulder
Neck
Mouth

Dave P
August 11, 2007, 09:36 PM
Speaking of names: why is the HEAD at the opposite end from the NECK???

Inquiring minds want to know --- it should be called the foot.

JRW
August 11, 2007, 09:36 PM
Commander and redranger: I don't have a way to scan the picture, but you guys got mail!

Tony Williams
August 11, 2007, 09:39 PM
It is more usually called the BASE now. But the term HEADSTAMP still survives for the ID numbers/letters!

Tony Williams
August 11, 2007, 09:42 PM
Some suggestions for the bullet (they don't all apply to every bullet):

meplat (flattened point)
ogive (shape of curve of nose)
cannelure (knurled ring around jacket)
heel (base)
boat tail (tapered base)
jacket
core
hollow point

redranger1
August 11, 2007, 10:00 PM
FIG 7.17

A. Mouth or Bullet
B. Shoulder
C. Neck
D. Mouth? (Assuming that A is Bullet)
E. Body(Sidewall)
F. Flash Hole
G. Head
H. Rim
I. Extraction Groove
J. Primer Pocket

FIG 7.18
A. Point (Unless it is a Hollow Point bullet and then i would say that B would be the Point)
B. Ogive or Meplat (Not 100% certain where the arrow is pointing bu i would guess thet are looking for Ogive)
C. Head Hieght
D.Cannelure
E. Bearing Surface
F. Boat Tail
G. Heel
H. Base

JRW
August 11, 2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks a lot Nathan! I wish I would have asked earlier because I literally spent about 3 hours looking for the answers.

CommanderPoopyduX
August 11, 2007, 10:24 PM
What was this for?

redranger1
August 11, 2007, 10:28 PM
Yea, what was this for? And dont thank me, thank Hornady and Lee.;)

rangerruck
August 11, 2007, 10:33 PM
might also try here, http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html

they give pretty complete inst. on how to build specific bullets.

JRW
August 11, 2007, 11:50 PM
A test. We are allowed to look in books and on the internet for answers, so I figured I'd use the internet :)

CommanderPoopyduX
August 12, 2007, 02:08 AM
A test for what class? That is getting down right nit picky!

JRW
August 12, 2007, 02:42 PM
"A test for what class? That is getting down right nit picky!"

LOL, I hear ya. Sniper test.

GRIZ22
August 12, 2007, 04:48 PM
All of this info can be found in any decent reloading manual.

Ol` Joe
August 12, 2007, 05:16 PM
Where do get tested on a subject you didn`t learn about 1st?

Sounds more like a questionaire then a test..................

Vern Humphrey
August 12, 2007, 06:49 PM
It was called the head because that was the part you saw when you looked in the breech when the cartridge was chambered. The early metalic cartridges tended to be straight cases, without necks.

It is more usually called the BASE now. But the term HEADSTAMP still survives for the ID numbers/letters!
It's still called the head -- the head technically is the flat back of the case. The "base" is the rear portion of the case.

Examples of the proper use of these terms include "head space" and "bolt-over-base stoppage."

If you enjoyed reading about "Need to find diagram of rifle cartridge & bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!