Best way to store AR mags?

PDA

PTK
August 11, 2007, 10:45 PM
What is the best way to store loaded AR mags? I can't seem to figure a good way of fitting them in ammo cans (14 in a 50 cal) and I can't think of any other good container for them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best way to store AR mags?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JamesM
August 12, 2007, 12:52 AM
I store mine in ammo cans (empty). Since empty mags are light, I keep them in tall 50 cal. cans that hold 28 each. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to store so many loaded mags? Why not just keep a few loaded then a bunch of rounds on stripper clips? I think I read somewhere that the feed lips on AR mags will start to warp if kept loaded for long periods. I could be wrong. I do know that Pmags come with a dust cover that is also supposed to keep the pressure off the feed lips.

PTK
August 12, 2007, 01:27 AM
I load my mags to 28 rounds. I doubt any problems will crop up.

The reason I have so many loaded mags is I have the magazines, I have the ammo, why not load the mags?

W.E.G.
August 12, 2007, 01:32 AM
I would avoid leaving magazines loaded for extended periods of time, as I'd be concerned about the ammo corroding or getting dirty. Then your pre-loaded magazine becomes a pre-jammed magazine.

I like the military-style pouches
http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/005.html#2
Store them unloaded, stored in the pouches in a Rubbermaid tub.

Store the ammo on stripper clips if you think you will need a lot of loaded mags in a hurry. If you want to keep a FEW mags loaded, you might consider down-loading them by several rounds to keep some of the pressure off the feed lips.

MisterPX
August 12, 2007, 02:09 AM
I keep my excess mags in a cardboard box.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best way to store AR mags?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!