How Many Change Carry Guns?

PDA

GlenJ
August 11, 2007, 11:50 PM
How many people have a "carry rotation" between various guns compared to how many always carry the same piece? For those that do switch up on carry guns how many switch back forth from revolver to semi's?. Myself it's either my GLOCK 26 or my P3AT.

If you enjoyed reading about "How Many Change Carry Guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geno
August 12, 2007, 12:00 AM
Close enough. I don't "like" to change bewteen my assorted MCPL-appropriate firearms, but depending on what I wear, or where I am going, some pistols work better than others. I wish I could carry one, and only one.

Cosmoline
August 12, 2007, 12:00 AM
It's a seasonal thing. With heavy winter clothes I can conceal much larger firearms. On the bike in summer not so much.

esheato
August 12, 2007, 12:10 AM
I voted that I always carry the same gun, but it's not quite accurate.

If I can wear a holster, it's a 1911. In my military uniform between work and home, I have a Keltec P11 in my pants.

I also have a Kahr P9 on my permit for a backup in case the 1911 breaks (holster duty) but 90% of the time it's a 1911.

Ed

CSA 357
August 12, 2007, 12:22 AM
mostly a 1911 commander, some times a 5 inch 1911, even carry a n frame smith when i can wear a coat, csa

bpisler
August 12, 2007, 07:54 AM
I used to carry a 3" 65-3,3" 10-7 or a 3"
charter arms bulldog.Thet all ahd the
same manual of arm so it was no real
problem to switch.

I now carry only a 3" GP-100 and none of
the others becaue of the different cylinder
release on the ruger.

Schwebel
August 12, 2007, 08:23 AM
It is a total seasonal thing for me. I try to carry the most firepower I can comfortably. I believe there is a lot of trial and error in finding the right carry gun and method, so I tend to purchase a variety of weapons and holsters. There does not seem to be one magic weapon/holster that is comfortable and offers substantial firepower all year round (event though a J-frame comes close).

DrDavidM
August 12, 2007, 09:29 AM
I usually carry my Taurus PT140pro. I really like it. But, if I am wearing dress clothes and a tucked shirt I will carry my Kahr cw9. It is thinner so conceals better. On occasion I will pocket carry my P3at. I am also hoping for a IWB holster for my CZ-82 for my birthday. The only revolver I own (other than 22's) is my Colt Anaconda 6inch barrel. Ergo, I don't carry a revolver. I am liking my wife's new Taurus 38sp ultrlite, but she won't give it to me.

highfive
August 12, 2007, 09:32 AM
I try to carry the same piece but the type of clothes sometimes won't let me. Most of the time is a taurus 627 in 357 mag or if I need to conceal some more it might be between my PT-111 or my Bersa 380.

The gun goes with the clothes :D

Ala Dan
August 12, 2007, 09:52 AM
Gee whiz, I use to be a devoted West German SIG-SAUER fan, and would
only carry their "classic P-series" self-loaders. I guess, I have gotten wiser
as I've gotten a bit older; and now carry many flavors in design~! :scrutiny::cool:;)

koja48
August 12, 2007, 10:05 AM
Always the same 1, but occasionally a companion piece joins it.

TMann
August 12, 2007, 02:05 PM
My three carry guns are my Kahr MK9, my Kel-Tec P3AT, and my Glock 26. All three are DA only semi-autos, so I feel pretty comfortable switching back and forth between them.

TMann

Joshua M. Smith
August 12, 2007, 02:18 PM
Always my highly customized Taurus PT92 whenever I can swing it - which is most of the time. This is always accompanied by a backup, usually a 380 PPK clone or, more lately, a snub revolver in 38 Spl. Usually the 38 Spl.

Josh <><

Old Dog
August 12, 2007, 02:48 PM
An interesting question. I'm not tied to a specific handgun for carry, but I think it's most important to try to carry in the same type of holster, with the same cant, worn in the same place (and be practiced with one's drawstroke) as often as possible ... Hence, all my holsters for each handgun I may carry, are the same type of OWB or IWB.

Also, I may vary my carry gun, but I generally stick with similar platforms and keep aware of what I'm carrying.

I don't believe in changing guns for the season or for the type of attire ... more of a mood thing with me. Most often a Commander-sized 1911 (LW, Combat Commander, one of the Springer Champions or a Kimber Pro) ... but frequently a full-size 1911 1911 purists may be shocked, but I'll sometimes actually carry a [3"] Micro-Compact (which, amazingly, is totally reliable) for a change.

When the old-school feeling hits, I break out 4" S&W Model 19. Just 'cause it's pretty and brings back memories, kinda like running in to your high-school crush on a visit back to your hometown after a few years ...

And if I just want to have a buttload of rounds on tap, a W. German SIG P-228 w/two spare mags. Finally, an Airweight J-frame in the pocket for yard/garage work.

MaterDei
August 12, 2007, 02:57 PM
I change depending upon season and attire.

glockman19
August 12, 2007, 03:00 PM
I carry different guns based on dress and time of year. S&W 642, 442, Glock 26 & Kimber Ultra.

Texas Colt
August 12, 2007, 03:06 PM
I have several guns that are designated for carry and the switch is usually based on clothing.

My primary gun is a Colt Lightweight Officers 45. For times when strong side belt carry is not an option, I go to my PPK 380 and Colt Cobra 38 snub for pocket and ankle carry.

There are other times when it's just neat to carry something different. My Colt Lawman 2" 357 revolver makes a great belt gun in a high-ride Don Hume belt slide. My Colt Peacekeeper 357 is my woods gun.

Quiet
August 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
My carry guns are Glock Model 30, Glock Model 39 and Kel-Tec P-32.

What gets carried depends on the weather and clothing options.

glk23
August 12, 2007, 03:19 PM
I switch between three different guns. Glock 23 in the fall and winter and either a Kahr K9 or Keltec P32 during the summer. All three function similarly so no worries about mode of opperation.

bluetopper
August 12, 2007, 03:24 PM
I like to swap out between a few of my Makarovs, my Taurus 9mm revolver, and my Taurus 45acp snubbie revolver.

rhubarb
August 12, 2007, 03:30 PM
I voted "always carry the same gun" even though I don't. I occasionally carry a different gun from my primary, but I can't say I like carrying other guns. I'm used to my carry gun. I've shot a lot of rounds through it. I've done a lot of dry fire with it. I've done a lot of draws with it. I know where it will be when I reach for it and what it will do when I pull the trigger.

MikeJ
August 12, 2007, 04:25 PM
Depending on attire I carry a NAA Guardian .32 about 10% of the time, a S&W 442 about 70% and a S&W 640 (.357) about 20%.

cslinger
August 12, 2007, 04:29 PM
98% of the time I carry some form of double action revolver. 638,642,681,SP101 etc. All are essentially the same operating system, sighting system etc.

Some other times I will carry a SIG semi auto.

Mortech
August 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
Depends on where I'm going , in the woods its my S&W 1066 in 10MM , general carry is my S&W M&P40 , really hot weather I carry my S&W 3913 , for just a throw in the pocket handgun my Taurus 85CH snubbie fills that role .

CajunBass
August 12, 2007, 05:57 PM
I switch back and forth between a Colt Commander, a Smith and Wesson 39-2, and a Makarov.

ATW525
August 12, 2007, 08:01 PM
Though I've previously switched back and forth between many different guns, lately it's either my Glock 19 or an N Frame revolver (I have several), and I don't see that chaniging anytime soon. All are essentially point and shoot weapons. In addition I always carry either a S&W 442 or a Taurus 650 as a BUG.

Citroen
August 12, 2007, 08:13 PM
Most of the time a Taurus .45 ACP revolver but sometimes a Glock 30. Normally IWB for both. Depends on what I am wearing and which one conceals best.
John
Charlotte, NC

MCgunner
August 12, 2007, 08:20 PM
I like my revolvers, but like my autos, too, and I switch according to whim, mostly. I keep everything DA or DAO so I ain't switching from SA auto condition one to revolver to whatever and I can change guns without changing the function, long DA trigger stroke and no safeties to mess with.

I have a bunch of revolvers, but mostly either tote a Kel Tec P11 or a Taurus M85UL, but lately I've been totin' my new to me SP101 a lot.

Anna's Dad
August 12, 2007, 08:21 PM
I live in Florida and only pocket carry. The only gun I have suitable is a Kel-Tec P-32. I'd love a Rohrbaugh R9 and if anyone would like to donate one to me, I'd be happy to carry it instead.

Daemon688
August 12, 2007, 09:38 PM
I'm not really sure how I fit. I have a P3AT and a P239. At work I only have the P3AT. Anywhere else, I carry both pistols. I wish I had more pistols to choose from :D

1BLINDREF
August 12, 2007, 09:42 PM
Depends on time of year and what I'm wearing.
I have four main carry guns - S&W 642, Sig P239 SAS 9mm, Sig P229 .40S&W DAK, and a Sig P220 SAS Carry.

orionengnr
August 12, 2007, 10:00 PM
I voted "always carry the same" although strictly speaking, that's not true.

However, my summer carry (Kahr PM9) and my winter carry (Kahr P45) are functionally identical, and the carry method is the same. Only the size/weight of the pistol varies, and not by much. :)

kahrcarry
August 12, 2007, 11:36 PM
I have 5-8 guns that I consider adequate for carry (Glock 26, Glock 19, Glock 23, S&W 1911PD, Kahr P9, Kahr P40....), meaning that I've fired boatloads of rounds through each and trust them completely. However, I keep finding myself instinctively grabbing either the G23 or the 1911PD. I always carry in an AKJ Concealco IWB, somewhere between 7 and 8 o'clock (I'm a lefty).

Roccobro
August 13, 2007, 12:20 AM
Ditto what Doc said.

Maybe a third poll option: "one primary and occasionally a different one."

Justin

Hunter0924
August 13, 2007, 12:37 AM
It depends on what I am wearing and the season.
I prefer my Colt Gold Cup Trophy but when I cannot carry a full size I carry a Colt Compact.
I have been testing the Colt New Agent and I believe this will be my new choice for a small carry pistol.

MacViolinist
August 13, 2007, 05:21 AM
I always carry my Steyr M40-A1. In the summer, when it gets hot here in Texas, I sometimes carry in my laptop case. I sewed a holster into it and it's easily accessible at all times, but also still concealed.

That is the gun I know best, the gun I can hit with, and the gun I know isn't going to jam.

But I also have a Kahr PM-40 clipped into my waistband just in case I can't get to my bag.

When the weather allows me to carry the Steyr, the PM-40 goes in an anckle rig.

gbelleh
August 13, 2007, 09:32 AM
I choose between several possible CCW guns based on clothing, weather and destination. Sometimes just because I want to carry something different or special.

WeThePeople
August 13, 2007, 09:48 AM
By far, my Beretta Tomcat is with me the most. However, depending on the situation, I may carry something else. For example, if I am going to be driving the Mountain Parkway, something that can handle the very real possibility of meeting up with some wildlife is with me such as a .357. If I am in a not-so-nice part of town, something with high-capacity is with me like a 9mm. The other factor is my mood. Sometimes I just feel like putting up with a .45 and having some extra heat onboard!

mavracer
August 13, 2007, 12:08 PM
70% of the time its either 442 or seecamp in pocket.but I'll carry about any thing in the safe.most carry guns are 1911 or da revolver friendly.IMHO a natural pointing firearm is more important than mode of operation.getting the first shot off does not win gunfights getting the first hit will.

Papaster
August 13, 2007, 01:58 PM
I voted that I change between weapons, and this is between semi and revolver. But I much prefer to carry my semi. And I carry it through the summer, and to work, (a very anti-gun establisment). But under certain, very difficult to prevent -the-print situations, I'll switch to my 5-shot .38. This is less than 5% of the time. I used to carry it quite frequently, but like the higher-capacity, better power of my .45 ACP pistol, and dress around my gun most of the time in order to not have to switch.

HippieCrusher
August 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
I prefer to change my carry weapon like women change their shoes and Flava Flav changes his bling.

Rexster
August 13, 2007, 03:10 PM
I have three .357 SP101 snubbies, with varying hammer types, and one of them is with me virtually 100% of the time. So, from that viewpont, I do not rotate or switch. But, the SP101 is rarely alone, and its role may change during the day, such as when I am my police uniform, and the SIG P229R DAK is on my hip, the SP101 migrates to "back-up gun" status. Even out of uniform, the SP101 is usually accompanied by another handgun, which may be another SP101, a 4" Speed Six, a 4" GP100, or, rarely, the SIG. All of these carry guns have a long-stroke DA trigger pull, though the SIG can be used in short-reset mode. I had tried to use a Glock with this mix, but found that shooting the short-trigger-stroke Glock had a negative influence on my skill with longer-stroke DA shooting. Bottom line, I do always carry the same gun, but I also carry different guns, though I try to keep all of my normal, serious carry handguns similar in operation.

6_gunner
August 13, 2007, 03:10 PM
I carry a Baby Browning all the time. I add my 6" pre-model 10 when carrying openly or when weather permits better garments for concealing a bigger hand gun. When I have more money, I intend to get something in between, like a snubby .38 or maybe a Colt 1903. Okay, I like the classics. :)

stormspotter
August 13, 2007, 03:19 PM
Glock 19 for summer and Glock 21 for winter.

Will be getting a Glock 30 for the between seasons.

arctictom
August 13, 2007, 05:15 PM
Kel-Tec P-11 or 357-model 60 Smith in summer , 44 Colt Anaconda in winter ,or walking the dog in the back country.

Cougfan2
August 13, 2007, 05:28 PM
In winter with bulky clothes or if I'm just in my car too and from work I carry a 5" 1911 either in a Bianchi bag or a Blackhawk CQB Serpa paddle. Where concealment is more of an issue or in the Summer if I'm walking around town I carry my Sig 232 .380 in either a Bianchi bag or a Bianchi 3S IWB holster with thumbbreak.

Kevin108
August 13, 2007, 06:57 PM
I have 4 guns I carry depending on what's going on. To the movies I carry my G26 because it's so small it's comfortable to sit on for 2+ hours. Often to run up to the grocery store I throw on my 1911 because it sits in its CTAC near my clothes. My G17 is my favorite to shoot and carry but it's reserved for home protection. My girlfriend doesn't know (or want to know, at least for now) anything about guns. But she does know where the Glock 17 lives if she ever needed it and it doesn't have any complicated safeties like the 1911. If I'm going somewhere I know I won't need a gun, I take my Raven.

dawgtraxx
August 13, 2007, 09:43 PM
sig 229 winter..sig p232 summer

Trempel
August 13, 2007, 09:49 PM
I switch between three different guns, depending on what I can conceal at the time. It's good to have options.

tubeshooter
August 13, 2007, 10:04 PM
I'm about 85/15 between a couple of revolvers. The .38 is more comfortable without a doubt. I feel better in the woods with the .357.

Had a mousegun, but it did not last in my rotation very long.

jeepmor
August 13, 2007, 11:18 PM
I have both a 40 and 45 in 3" barrel autos for social carry situations. I have a 10mm for woods/rural carry scenarios. Small guns in IWB holsters, FS 10mm in OWB holster. All conceal fine with an XL t-shirt. OWB requires more attention, but coverage is fine. And when I'm wearing that beast, we are out in farm or woods land, usually folks out there don't make the "man with gun" call, they want to chat guns instead.:D Man I wish I lived in the country.

All triggers are DA/SA or DAO. I leave them chambered in DA mode (heaviest/longest pull) with safeties off since some flip up, others flip down. All holsters cover the trigger, all DA pulls are 10+lbs.

I've unloaded all the firearms and did the wildwest twirl, the clothes snag and other things to insure a ND is unlikely. I never could get the trigger to fire no matter how I tried to fumble it so I stick with this mode of carry.

sig226
August 17, 2007, 03:50 AM
I can't answer your poll because the answers don't match what I do. Generally, I CCW a Model 36, or a Kel Tec P3AT if I want to be discreet. I also work at a gun store, where we carry openly. At those times, I carry a P226.

JR719
August 17, 2007, 04:17 AM
I opted for different guns. Actually, I'm only allowed to carry two guns, my Glock 22 and Kimber 1911. Those are the only two I I took and qual'd with thru my dept. I usually carry my Glock (when I carry) unless I travel. Then I carry my Kimber and have the Glock in the vehicle. A State firearms instructor here says we should have at least one long gun in the vehicle.

1911 guy
August 17, 2007, 08:04 AM
I have only carried two types of handguns in my entire life. First was an old .44-40 single action revolver when I was a kid. I "graduated" to a 1911 and have carried a 5" 1911 ever since. No changes for me.

DawgFvr
August 17, 2007, 10:33 AM
What, how and when I carry revolves around the clothing I wear for that day or event. My Sunday-go-to-meeting suit has only room for a .380 ACP P3AT. Same goes for my Tuxedo on those special occasions. My work place dockers pocket my .38 special S&W 642 comfortably. A trip to the Tacoma Mall begs my 10 + 1 PT145 in .45 ACP IWB. Now, when I'm in the offensive mode, in relation to the above weapons carried for self-defense...I carry my 3 inch Ruger GP100 .357 mag OWB. Those are the times when I'm out personally looking for Bin Laden all by my lonesome...hee, hee.:)

Mat, not doormat
August 17, 2007, 01:22 PM
Sometimes it seems like I've got pistols coming out of my ears, but there's only four of them that I'll carry for a primary. One's a Taurus PT1911, another's a Taurus PT1911, another's a '51 vintage Sistema, and another is a RIA fullsize.

I'm not sure if that counts as switching pistols or not, since they're all 5" 1911s, all in the same holster.

I did switch, once, though, before I had so many 1911s to choose from, the only one I had at the time was down, and I wound up carrying a Smith M10, which I hadn't even shot in a few years. Distinctly uncomfortable feeling.

~~~Mat

tuckerdog1
August 19, 2007, 03:57 PM
Generally, it's a S&W 638. Sometimes a G26. In winter, I like the SP101. The 357s would be better for dealing with the heavier clothing the BG would probably be wearing.

Tuckerdog1

TOADMAN
August 19, 2007, 08:08 PM
Golck 26 or a S&W 637 Snubbie...

Don357
August 20, 2007, 11:44 PM
I voted different guns even though I usually carry my Taurus MilPro PT140 in a IWB holster and/or my Cobra .38 spl derringer in a pocket, depending on what I'm wearing. However, my TZ99 will get out of the house come jacket weather.

Coyote3855
August 22, 2007, 12:35 PM
Different guns for the reasons posted by others - climate and attire. A Keltec 3AT is always BUG in right front pants pocket. Kahr P9 under a t-shirt in summer, SA .45 XD in winter under a jacket or open carry where appropriate in the summer (mostly around the ranch or in the woods.)

MassMan
August 25, 2007, 03:32 PM
1. different guns for different clothing. Smaller in the summer, larger in fall and winter.
2. larger caliber for hiking in the woods, higher capacity for the city after dark.

Polish_Pounder
August 25, 2007, 04:13 PM
I carry my Sig GSR 5" whenever possible. In the summer I have been guilty of "Mexican" carry with a S&W 4013TSW. While I probably could carry the GSR safely without a holster, it is too heavy for me.

That being said, I always carry in the same location (IWB behind strong-side hip with 20-25 degree cant).

-Polish

BobMcG
August 25, 2007, 04:15 PM
I rotate on occasion.

RockyMtnTactical
August 27, 2007, 01:13 PM
I usually change between a G27 and a P32 depending on what I am wearing.

fletcher
August 27, 2007, 01:17 PM
I usually stick to the same 1-2 guns, but I've carried each of them several times at least.

Emptymag
August 27, 2007, 01:41 PM
I didn't vote because I can't always carry the same gun and I don't "LIKE" to carry all my guns.

Depends on the occasion/dress.
I have however, made the decision that ALL of my defensive handguns (Home defense or carry) be DOA in order to keep the basic operation consistent.
No panicky "guesswork"... draw, front sight, press.

It's what works for ME.
I've had conversations with the guy in my head, and he sez KISS! :D

Sniper X
August 27, 2007, 01:42 PM
Usually carry a 1911 full size Kimber Tac Cus II , but sometimes carry a Springer Champion, and once in a while, a P22 if I am just fishing, or a Smith & Wesson mod 60 if in nice clothes.

ZeSpectre
August 27, 2007, 01:44 PM
Pappa Bear - Cold weather or other means of bulk concealment.
Mamma Bear - General 80% of the time carry.
Baby Bear - Hot weather, minimal concealment situations.

I split practice between all as evenly as possible but "Momma Bear" definitely gets the majority share.

(but I'm like the above poster that all my "serious" guns are DA or DAO for a simple manual of arms)

esq_stu
August 27, 2007, 02:00 PM
Not really a rotation - I have a few carry weapons and what I carry depends on concealment capability of the clothes I will be wearing. Increasing size from small to large - 642, PM9, G26, G19. Usually it's the PM9. If I can carry on the belt, a BUG will be in the weak hand pocket. If I carry in the pocket, a reload goes in the weak hand pocket.

Steve 48
August 28, 2007, 03:41 PM
I carry a variety of guns including the P3AT, PPK, CW9,Springfield Micro Compact, Glock 27, 3913, 642, 640, 13 and a 66. Steve48

county906
August 28, 2007, 04:54 PM
I switch, depending on attire. either a Taurus millennium pro .45acp or XD .45acp.

Boarhunter
August 28, 2007, 07:19 PM
For the time-being, I am always carrying the same gun(s) until the next time I change my mind...

Today, and most every day all day, a Kel Tek PF-9 is in my front pocket. At 12 ounces and thin as a pencil, it carries as easy as a pocket knife in a DeSantis holster. In addition, a 1911 of one sort or another is usually on my hip (IWB), but it varies from a Springfield EMP 9mm to a .45 Colt Lightweight Commander to a Kimber Pro Tac 9mm, depending upon my mood (and not the weather or season). All three of those guns are sweet shooters, and I have confidence in them all.

Boarhunter

golden
August 31, 2007, 12:16 AM
I carry a plastic framed, 9mm auto when dress and weather permit in a strong side pancake holster. If not, I will put the pistol in a work bag or computer bag.
When I want to travel lighter, I go with a S&W model 12 in a pancake holster. I can be concealed under a loose shirt.
For other times, a 5 shot CHARTER ARMS or S&W 5 shot .38Special in a pocket holster.

Zen21Tao
August 31, 2007, 07:53 AM
I carry differently based on how I'm dressed for the day. On the few days out of the year that weather permits wearing a jacket, I carry OWB (usually my G29, one of my Sigs, or my Para Tac-4). On the days that I am dressed in a shirt and pair of pants/heavy shorts that don't easily print, I carry IWB (usually my G27, Sig P239, Sig P245, or Para Carry). On days that I am wearing light shorts and a tshirt and/or when printing is an issue, I pocket carry my Kahr PM40.

helpless
September 2, 2007, 03:24 AM
I carry a pocket gun while at home and a fullsize 45 when out and about.

If you enjoyed reading about "How Many Change Carry Guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!