Ruger 10/22 Question

PDA

BFIBri
August 12, 2007, 01:55 AM
My Brother just gave me a Ruger 10/22 target model. While looking at the trigger I notice that there is a some sort of button behind trigger, this engages the hammer. I never seen anything like it.... its suppose to be this way?

Thanks
Bri

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pdowg881
August 12, 2007, 02:28 AM
Trigger return.

dscottw88
August 12, 2007, 04:17 AM
Yeah i noticed that too! wondered what it was until i took the housing apart and cleaned it. interesting how everything works like butter in there...

Fumbler
August 12, 2007, 11:07 AM
In case pdowg didn't explain it enough, that "button" is the trigger return plunger.
It is being pushed by the trigger return spring and neither are connected to anything.
The hammer is engaged by the sear, which rests above the trigger.

After you pull the trigger, the trigger return spring and plunger push the trigger back in place.

hksw
August 13, 2007, 02:08 PM
Also note that the plunger (and spring) are not perfectly straight. During the process of producing the trigger assembly the housing is cast into one piece. After the casting and the milling of the interior, the holes are drilled and the hole for the plunger and spring is drilled in an angle as the trigger guard is in the way.

This leads into a minor problem with the trigger feel during its travel. The plunger will usually bind a little bit against the wall of the hole because it is moving back in an angle whereas the trigger is moving back straight. This usually increases the trigger pull weight a little because of this drag.

DoubleTapDrew
August 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
It's there to trigger a string of obscenities when disassembling the trigger assembly after the spring and plunger fall and bounce off your workbench and then go who-knows where.

goemado
August 13, 2007, 03:46 PM
I see that DoubleTap is wise in the way of the 10/22. He hit right on the head. The spring is a P.I.T.A. But what it does has been explained well in the thread.

I might suggest www.rimfirecentral.com for and a search for trigger return modifications for alternatives to this little piece of OEM work. One bobby pin and some magic with the needle nose pliars..and you can leave the return spring on the floor where it landed.

Good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!