PLEASE HELP: AK assembly question

PDA

Guitargod1985
August 12, 2007, 06:00 AM
Well I was fiddling around with my AK quite a bit and I got to putting it back together but I can't remember how something goes back on.

The retaining spring which hooks on to the safety: Does it go under the trigger pin AND loop under and around the hammer pin? Or does it go over the trigger pin and under the hummer pin? Or does it go under the trigger pin and then push up against the buttstock side of the hammer pin?

I feel like such a doofus. It seems like whatever I try on of the pins won't stay all the way in. PLEASE help.

If you enjoyed reading about "PLEASE HELP: AK assembly question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dionysusigma
August 12, 2007, 06:06 AM
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fcgremoval4.htm

There's a lot of other really good stuff on there. Learned most of what I know about AKs from that site. :)

Guitargod1985
August 12, 2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks, dude. I actually figured out how to do it shortly after posting. I actually checked out the link, though, just out of curiosity. It appears my spring is shaped a lot differently than the one on that website, but I figured it out :)

That will be the last time I take out the FCG and all that crap unless I absolutely have to do so. What a PITA. First I couldn't get the pins back in because the hammer coil tension kept pulling the hammer toward the stock. Then I had a similar problem with the dang trigger. When I finally figure out how to get the retention spring properly situated, I had trouble with the safety level because of the spring tension from the retention spring. LOL

MRIman
August 12, 2007, 07:19 AM
Redstar Arms makes a fine product for @$12 that you will never
have to worry about the "hook" again.
A few of my AK's have the FCG retainers,sad to say not all of them.

MRI

TheDisturbed1
August 12, 2007, 08:36 AM
those hooks are a pain...

took me 45 minutes and a few finger gouges getting that hemroid back together.

But at least i know how to get it back on :)
persuasive force lol

dstorm1911
August 12, 2007, 11:43 AM
the FCG isn't to difficult, if your FCG isn't a G2 or other with a sleeve which makes it drop in then ya simply make a slave pin from an extra Axis pin, for the hammer ya simply gotta twist it in. here is a chart of the most common retaining springs properly installed as well as improperly installed. the plate as mentioned above though is the best for a semi auto AK. only one uses the safty lever as an anchor that being early Chicoms, if ya have a Century imported or built rifle the spring should be clipped on the cross member and not on the safty lever.

Guitargod1985
August 13, 2007, 01:34 AM
Mine doesn't look like any of those. It's shaped completely different, but I figured out (I hope) how it goes. It's holdin enough tension on both pins to keep them in place.

If you enjoyed reading about "PLEASE HELP: AK assembly question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!