Fusion vs. Ballistic Silvertip

PDA

Belgiboy
August 12, 2007, 06:31 AM
I wondered if anybody has any experience with the Federal Fusion ammo for deerhunting (or any hunting). I have been using 150 gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in 7mm Rem Mag in my Browning BAR, but i recently started shooting the fusions for practice and they group just as nice (just over an inch at 100yds). They are considerably cheaper and i am leaning towards going with them this season. I know that shot placement is everything but i just wanted to know if any of you people had any bad or good things to say about them. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fusion vs. Ballistic Silvertip" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jeepmor
August 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
I can't share 7mm specific details. But fusions in 150 and 180 grain offerings both grouped ~3/4" at 100 yards out of my Ruger, if that helps.

Belgiboy
August 12, 2007, 09:06 AM
yes, thank you for that. It is good to know that they show the consistent loading of more expensive rounds. But i was also wondering if anybody had any data on how the bullet performs on any game.

Odd-6
August 12, 2007, 12:07 PM
I have used the XP2 Winchester 180 gr ballistic tips. When I sighted my rifle in, I couldn't achieve a decent group at 100 yards (looked like I used a shotgun). Thought it was the scope or me. Had a friend try and had about the same results. I ran out of the XP, and thought "oh, well might as well use up some old Federals 165 gr I had". I achieved a "clover leaf" group at 100 yds.

I went to the local gun shop and the owner stated he had heard this before about the XPs. I am going to try the Federal Nosler 165 ballistic tips. Heck, maybe my trusty 06 just didn't like the Xp taste.

H&Hhunter
August 12, 2007, 12:12 PM
The Fusion bullets by Federal are a cheap bonded core bullet. They are just fine for deer. You should expect similar performance to a core lokt or a Winchester power point.

mod700
August 14, 2007, 01:43 AM
ive shot many deer with the winchester ballistic silvertip in my 7mm 08 and have not had any problems with them. they leave a good exit wound and i havent had one get away from me yet.

Triple S
August 14, 2007, 11:34 PM
I have shot both the fusion and ballistic tips out of a .270 Winchester on deer and hogs. Hands down, I have more confidence in the fusion over the ballistic tip (Silver Tip). Both shoot about the same (accuracy), but in more cases than not, I have had complete pass throughs with the fusions. I can not say the same about the ballistic silver tips. Some like the performance of the Ballistic Tips, but I prefer a little more controlled structure and knowing I can knock out the offside shoulder. The fusion gives me more confidence. That's my $.02 cents.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fusion vs. Ballistic Silvertip" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!