Have You Ever Bought A Handgun That You Really Did Not Need?

PDA

Ala Dan
August 12, 2007, 09:47 AM
Greeting's All-

Well, I guess the best answer to that question is the fact that we all have
made purchases of a few handguns that we either didn't really want, or had
no earthly need for, right? Well, I did the same thing this past Friday 10 Aug;
buy buying a ever so slightly used 2" barrel Smith & Wesson model 442, with
box and doc's for $200.

You see, I didn't need this revolver cuz I already own a S&W model 642-2
(see the 642 club thread); but my co-worker's would not let me pass this
one up~! :uhoh::D Its a brand new firearm manufactuered in January of '07;
but the unique thing 'bout it is the serial sequence prefix. It has MY NAME
in front of the numbers: DAN 9xxx~! So, I made the purchase as a "keep
sake"; too be passed on down thru my family upon my demise.

Oh~! BTW, I gave the S&W 642 to my daughter; as she has started her
own small firearms collection~! ;):cool::D

If you enjoyed reading about "Have You Ever Bought A Handgun That You Really Did Not Need?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
crew590
August 12, 2007, 10:03 AM
Very nice, Ala Dan. I wish I had the money to buy a few more guns, but funds are kinda tight right now (going back to college). I'm sure I will end up buying a couple of guns in the future that I don't have a use for other than 'because I can' though.

Jay

Iggy
August 12, 2007, 10:11 AM

There's that 10mm with my old badge number (25) to be passed on to my son and the one with(25-1) that goes to my grandson, but other than that I need them all.. Yup, Sure do!! Yessiree!!

What I really need is a truck to haul them in!!!:o

SouthpawShootr
August 12, 2007, 10:14 AM
Didn't need? By most conventional definitions of "need" I'd say just about any and every handgun I ever purchased after the first one. I wanted every one I purchased though. For a few the "want" progressed to a "want to get rid of."

frogomatic
August 12, 2007, 10:17 AM
yes, though I'm glad i did. I've never been a fan of revolvers(I think most of them are butt ugly) but I was at my favorite gun store and I saw a Ruger SRH alaskan in .454, I fell in love. The unfluted cylinder, the hogue grips, the brushed surface, it was just a thing of beauty, and I had to have it. I've since moved to Colorado, and always carry it when I go into the mountains. I've never regretted buying that pistol.

YodaVader
August 12, 2007, 10:25 AM
Need? Well quite a few fall into the Did not Need category!:D The "I want it!" syndrome is what I usually give into!

I used to shoot some bullseye and to compete I definitely needed a pistol so my MKII and Smith 41 met my needs. Well the MKII met the need to begin with but the 41 was one of those "I want to have one" kind of guns.

Have 44 mags that I have never used for anything other than target shooting , need a 44 for target - NOPE! Want , YES! Althought these days I find myself more and more migrating back to the 22lr and 38 Special.

M2 Carbine
August 12, 2007, 11:05 AM

Yes.
Probably most of the last 100+ guns I've bought I really didn't "need".

I'm glad that "need" isn't a requirement to buy a gun.:)

meef
August 12, 2007, 11:31 AM
Have You Ever Bought A Handgun That You Really Did Not Need?:scrutiny:

Uhhh..... has the bear ever gone poo in the woods?

Only most of my handguns.

No, make that all but one of them. And that's a lot.

Yep.

glockman19
August 12, 2007, 11:36 AM
Ala Dan,
buying a ever so slightly used 2" barrel Smith & Wesson model 442.....You see, I didn't need this revolver cuz I already own a S&W model 642-2.....

I did the exact same thing. Have a 642 bought a 442. Why?...Because...."It was there".:D

robert garner
August 12, 2007, 11:43 AM
Have never "needed" any of them (thank a deity here) need was never a part of it. still havent got all I want.
robert

jt1
August 12, 2007, 12:36 PM
Ala Dan - Since you no longer "own" the 642-2, you do need the 442. Everyone needs at least one X42!

Kimber1911_06238
August 12, 2007, 12:57 PM
honestly, I really only need 1 handgun...all the other ones were just beacuse i wanted them

Mad Magyar
August 12, 2007, 02:03 PM
Yes, I'm a sucker for any pistol under $300. I rationalize that I blow that much a month on other things, so what's the harm? Actually, I've been more than pleased with the purchases and usually sell or trade them off...I get tired of one and the hunt is on for something else....Am I an ADDICT?:rolleyes:

Popov
August 12, 2007, 03:01 PM
I've never SEEN a handgun that I didn't need!

Texas Colt
August 12, 2007, 03:16 PM
Me too Mad Magyar. That's why I'm picking up an East German Makarov tomorrow. I have no need for it since I already have two perfectly good pocket guns, but when I could buy the Mak for $185, how could I say no? I didn't!

obiwan1
August 12, 2007, 03:45 PM
I guess one only "needs" one. Therefore I'd have to answer yes to every one above that one. Variety, however, is very nice. :)

Fumbler
August 12, 2007, 03:54 PM
Outside of my 12ga, I guess I never needed any of my guns.

But, I did recently purchase a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger simply because I wanted it.
No justifications on that one.
I've said in the past that I needed
my 308 for deer hunting
my 22 for cheap practice and small game
my 9mm for extra home defense and for IDPA
my 357 as a woods carry gun
my 380 cause the 9mm's too big for my girlfriend
...but my 480?
I just wanted a big gun.

v35
August 12, 2007, 04:21 PM
...it might be a little late to buy it

MikeJ
August 12, 2007, 04:22 PM
Absolutely! I only need 3 guns but have wound up with several more than that.

hkmp5g17
August 12, 2007, 04:54 PM
Not in the last week:D

cudaman440
August 12, 2007, 05:22 PM
I have a real need for every gun that I buy or trade for(thats what I tell the wife).:neener::neener:

lance22
August 12, 2007, 05:28 PM
... and into YOUR house ;)

byf43
August 12, 2007, 05:43 PM

Kinda sounds like my wife when she asks WHY I have more than two handguns.
"You only have two hands. Why do you need more than two handguns?"

My response: "You only have two feet. Why do you have sooooooo many shoes, Imelda?"

(Her name really isn't Imelda. But, it 'ticks her off' when I call her that!):evil:

Need???? "Need" is not part of the equation.
Maryland's former governor (he NEVER WAS 'my' governor!) said that we could only buy one handgun a month.
I've 're-arranged' the words to say that we HAVE to BUY one handgun a month.

CajunBass
August 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
When the zombies come, I'm going to need even more.

So will you.

:D

Working Man
August 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
Yes, I have... but you see, they needed me. :D

BlkHawk73
August 12, 2007, 06:12 PM
Got a shelf of them. A few older minty HK's tucked away and a 6 of the Acusport Bisleys tucked away unfired. I bought 'em knowing I wasn't gonna shoot e'm so I guess that constitutes not needing them.
Besides those I have purchased abunch of other handguns that were basically just for plinking. They didn't fill an empty niche so maybe that also constitutes them as not needed.

zeroskillz
August 12, 2007, 06:18 PM
No.

Wait...define 'need'
:p

gbran
August 12, 2007, 07:12 PM
Does a bear ..............?, well you know.

RubenZ
August 12, 2007, 07:44 PM
I only need 3 GUNS.

1.) Colt 1911 for Carry and Defense
2.) 12ga Browning Pump for Dove Hunting
3.) Remington 700 BDL in .270 for Deer Hunting/Hog Hunting/ etc.

The other 15 guns I do NOT need LOL.... But I sure love them.

I don't need an SKS, I don't need the 3 Enfields I have, I don't need the 3 .22 Pistols I have, I sure as heck didn't need the 700.00 AR-15 I bought etc etc.

CleverNickname
August 12, 2007, 08:23 PM
Every gun I've ever purchased was because of a need. Admittedly, some purchases were because I had money burning a hole in my pocket and I needed to remove it before something tragic happened. :)

August 12, 2007, 08:30 PM
I am still trying to figure out what niche my p-22 fulfilled. I already have three other .22 pistols that are far more accurate and easier to clean. I bought it mostly because of the price. A friend wanted to change scopes on one of his rifles and offered it to me for $170.00. Where he came up with http://www.thehighroad.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
:Dthat price, I'll never know, but I was with him when he bought it for $259.00.

tinygnat219
August 12, 2007, 09:25 PM
Yup. Most of my "project" handguns are like that.

The Lone Haranguer
August 13, 2007, 01:33 AM
Sure, I have. They're called part of my collection. :neener:

I have, for example, no real need of my Beretta 86 - a 9-shot .380 the same size as a 16-shot 9mm Glock 19 - but I like it. That's reason enough. :)

10-Ring
August 13, 2007, 02:04 AM
Well done sir! I wouldn't have let you pass that one up either ;) ...esp for $200 :D

Ala Dan
August 13, 2007, 07:31 AM
I guess the word "need" may be definded as an instrument, tool, or anything
else one has too have to complete a collection, assignment, task; or other
deed or chore. Acquiring it, usually soothes a burning desire to own it~! ;)

foghornl
August 13, 2007, 11:11 AM
Hmmmmm

Well, I didn't REALLY need that 50th Year .357 Blackhawk, 'cause I already had a .357 Vaquero, and the 50th Year Single-Six, but . . . . . .

I didn't REALLY need that Springfield "GI-45", 'cause I already had a Springfield Champion but...

Scorpiusdeus
August 13, 2007, 11:23 AM
All the time.

Cliff47
August 13, 2007, 01:00 PM
Happened again at the gun show on Saturday. I was walking in front of a table, giving the display a once-over, when I heard this little voice saying "Psst...down here, take a look at me". Knew I was in trouble. Before I knew it, I had given an AT84S a new home.

I figure it like this...what I spent on the firearm would only have gotten spent frivilously on things like food, bills, or on chasing women (I practice catch and release). Figure I got off cheap.

mavracer
August 13, 2007, 02:06 PM
yep shure have,but don't tell the wife I told her I needed em

AndyC
August 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
No, every firearm I've owned was bought for a specific purpose.

That said, I'm now in a country where buying a firearm doesn't mean waiting for "approval" from some faceless bureaucrat 6 months later - go, USA! :D

woof
August 13, 2007, 03:01 PM
I find there are guns that I really want to own, but after I've owned them for awhile I get over it and move them along. As long as I didn't lose too much on the deal I feel it was woth it. I'm glad I owned it, and I can always say "oh yeah, I used to have one". By the way, I've been asked to join as gun exchange club. We each give a gun and get a gun for maybe six months, then we exchange them again. Our are always ours and we get them back and obviously everyone trusts each other. Good way to get to live with some guns we wouldn't buy. Kinda like pooling our toys.

HippieCrusher
August 13, 2007, 03:03 PM
Not as far as my wife knows.

P97
August 13, 2007, 03:09 PM
I have bought some duplicate firearms that I already had because they are no longer made and I wanted to pass them on to my Grandchildren. I think its nice to give them something that they can't just go to the store and buy one like it.

Dravur
August 13, 2007, 06:03 PM
sorry, gotta catch my breath.....

Need? We don't need no stinkin' handguns. But, yes, I want them all and am working towards that goal.

Need? nope, Want? yep. greedy? oh yeah.

Mikhail Konovalov
August 13, 2007, 06:25 PM
Have I bought any handguns I don't need?

That's like asking me if I've ever bought a pack of cigarettes I didn't need! Of course I don't need them, but they sure are nice to have.

AZAndy
August 13, 2007, 08:37 PM
Handguns? I don't need any handguns at all. The law says that bad people can't have handguns, so why should I need one to defend myself from them? If I want to put a hole in something, I'll walk over to it with a hammer and a nail.

Sorry, meds were acting up on me. My first handgun was a black powder Navy .36. Who the hey could "need" one of those? It went "boooooom," and then you took several steps to one side to see whether you had hit the target or not. My first smokeless pistol was a .25 ACP-- it was either a Jennings or a Raven, I forget which-- and who could "need" one of those? Served no earthly purpose, but I was underage and delivering pizzas at a time when local pizza guys were getting shot and robbed, so I bought the only thing I could find on the black market.

I have a reasonably serious pistol nowadays-- an M1911-A1 in .45-- but I don't "need" it. What I need is a pocket-sized grenade launcher, or, failing that, a Star Trek Phaser. Maybe a focalized time-space disruptor that bloodlessly disappears the threat. That's what I NEED...

:-)

A.

Houston Tom
August 13, 2007, 08:50 PM
define need? See I still have room in the safe and there is a law that says if yu have an empty spot in the safe either on the handgun shelf or a slot for a rifle then you have to fill that spot. The law also says tha tif you fill the safe you must purchase another safe. THe wife does not believe me but I don't bother her about her purse and shoe collections and she leaves the guns alone.

knockonit
August 13, 2007, 08:52 PM
I feel it is my duty as an American citizen to purchase every type of revolver, semi-auto, long gun, short gun any gun all guns to keep the industry in the black, or whatever they call it.
I am guilty of all that have posted prior to this posting, but what the hell, if you lived in say England, Ireland you wouldnt couldnt buy it or hold or fondle it, oh well you get the idea.
I buy when I shouldn't and when I should,
One of the most distressing comments I heard or read is to buy on august 28th,
My ffl was sorely disturbed when he found out I'd read this, he told me it was hogwash and that it was my duty to buy up to and on the 28th and any day there after.
Besides, the new safe I got for the wifes JEWELRY has a empty spot, actually quite a few, the extra large safe I purchased ( #4) makes her jewelry collection look like a small ant farm, so with the promise of helping her add to it, I of course get to add to my collection.
She fell for it, I'm one slick dude. ( yeah like I really believe I snowed her)
Anyway, I got a bunch I didn't need, but I WANTED, and there are more and more, what else is there, my kids can make their own money, I;m spending mine.
ole fat guy in arizona

Bobo
August 13, 2007, 10:21 PM
I only own one gun - bought it for protection.
Haven't needed it yet - so I guess don't "need" any gun!:p

Sistema1927
August 13, 2007, 10:48 PM
Have a bought any handguns that I don't need?

It depends on who in my house you ask. If you ask my wife, then all but one would be unneeded. If you ask me, well...I find a "need" for every one that I buy, and will find some other unmet needs in the future.

rantingredneck
August 13, 2007, 10:56 PM
What he /\ said. LOL.

nitesite
August 13, 2007, 11:01 PM
Does owning a Ruger Police Service Six in .38-Special and a Ruger 22/45 "Great Eight" 8" .22 pistol count??????????

cudaman440
August 14, 2007, 09:42 AM
Yesterday, S&W 4506-1, night sights, three mags,95%. I did not need it but, it needed me so it could keep my other large frame S&W autos company in the safe.:fire::fire:

graffer
August 14, 2007, 10:46 AM
Yes. But I tend to sell or trade down the road. There is something really special about buying and breaking in a new to me handgun.

One positive benefit is that I can pass on my experiences with particular guns via the gun forums.

Best wishes to all and your indulgencies.

graffer

TxPhantom
August 14, 2007, 02:19 PM
Of course I buy guns I don't need! I just buy them to piss off liberals!!!!:neener:

oweno
August 14, 2007, 06:17 PM
So I go into the local gunshop...

Owner: Whaddya say?
Me: Whaddya say?
Owner: Need anything?
Me: Nah, just killing some time.

I poke around...

Owner: Hey, come here, I want to show you something.
Me: No. I don't want to buy anything.
Owner: Just take a look at this.
Me: What have you got there.

He shows me a like new S&W Model 10, Royal Hong Kong Police model.

Me: Hmmmm ... (as I check it out)

Owner: Just got it in today, it's yours for two and a quarter.

Me: No, I can't afford that.

Owner: OK, 200 bucks.

Me (as I reach for my wallet): Sigh....

CU74
August 14, 2007, 10:53 PM
I have a C&R FFL, and I am a revolver "fan", so my needs are great. My wife prefers semi-auto pistols, so when I factor her preference in, my needs are varied and great. CMP just received a shipment of M1 Garands - my needs just got greater. I don't recall buying a firearm I didn't need.............

.cheese.
August 14, 2007, 11:08 PM
yeah.... I have like 10 of them.

- handguns I don't need that is.

Really, all I NEED is one.

Of course I buy guns I don't need! I just buy them to piss off liberals!!!!

amen to that.

Nnobby45
August 14, 2007, 11:52 PM
Most of us have more than we need and not as many as we'd like to have.

aaronrkelly
August 15, 2007, 02:40 AM
Yeah....Ive bought ALOT of firearms I dont need. Im more of a collector then a shooter. Ive got 50+ firearms.....and honestly the only one I NEED is my carry gun, a G19.

That aside, I do understand the spirit of the question. I was looking at the for sale section about a year ago online. I didnt have any intentions of buying a gun, just browsing.

I noticed a nice price on a Smith and Wesson 3rd gen auto ($280 with night sights, 2 magazines, box/manuals and holster, which was new). I had never considered owning one, and really still didnt. Then I noticed the seller was a short drive from me. I contact him and we met halfway and I bought the gun.

I didnt need it, didnt even seek it out....its just kinda was there and I bit. I have shot if a few times, functions great....accuracy a bit better than my other guns (atleast with me shooting them). It doesnt get used, doesnt get carried....its just in my safe.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/aaronsguns/All%20Guns/smith6906.jpg

Troutman
August 15, 2007, 07:14 PM
<<Have You Ever Bought A Handgun That You Really Did Not Need?>>

In the sense of this question as “after the fact”.
Was a Desert Eagle in .50 AE. Big mistake! Like in some marriages, one gets involved, that one does not need.
Ammo for it, you have to buy it only from the manufacturer (Magnum Research), as of this date. Only three loads for it. It is a “pedigree”. In true sense of the word. Meaning, it is a high maintenance pistol (replacing parts more often than other pistols). You have to treat it like a “trophy wife”. I had a wife (x-wife), which was less maintenance. And less temperamental.
I sold mine (was lucky, too bad I could not do this with my x-wife. Heck. I would have thrown her in with the cost of the pistol.) To a guy at the range who wanted a D.E.50 AE. Took a $400 hit on it, and I don’t regret it.
After a few months, the guy I sold it to be telling me “I’m selling it”. No answer from me! I’m not biting! No more than I would get involved with my x-wife again.
If I was dead set on buying a D.E (thinking long and hard about it. About a $1,400 price tag), it would be in a .44.
The .50 AE is coming to the same fate as the 440 CorBon, which was once chambered for it. Or is, already….at that fate.

1911Tuner
August 15, 2007, 07:48 PM
Is this like a trick question? :scrutiny:

Seven High
August 15, 2007, 08:01 PM
I've bought a lot of pistols lately. I seem to find them on sale for a lot less than they would normally go for. I am a sucker for a bargain whether or not I need it.

Kevin108
August 15, 2007, 08:49 PM
My first gun was a Glock 17. It's occurred to me that I really haven't needed any that I've bought since then. It's still my favorite.

kungfuhippie
August 15, 2007, 08:59 PM
I need all my guns. We have the best tea parties on weekends. With out them it would be no fun at all.:neener:

Realistically, we don't need any gun. It's just the preferred tool. And it is our God given right to own them. You can hammer a nail with a rock. But who wants to do that? We get tools for specific purposes. My Arisaka's purpose is to sit in my safe and remind me of Grandpa and what he did in the Pacific for our freedom. Some may argue that I don't "need" that gun, but for me I do and it's probably the last one I would ever consider selling.

wheelgunslinger
August 15, 2007, 09:06 PM
Have I ever bought a handgun I didn't need?

Yes. I bought a webley in 38 brit. just because it was a neat top break with proof marks all over and a battered wartime finish.
I would fire it, wait for the bullet to clear the barrel, put the little revolver down, brew some tea, walk to the target, and stand there sipping earl gray while waiting for the bullet to strike the paper. Eventually it did.
It was woefully inaccurate, ridiculously inefficient with the 38 s&w rounds that fit it. And, I thought it was the coolest thing.
I actually carried it for a short time until I pondered the idea of actually needing it to save my life. And, then I went back to my usual carry gun.
That was the only impulse buy I ever made in a gun store.

kungfuhippie
August 15, 2007, 09:58 PM
That was the only impulse buy I ever made in a gun store.
Yeah, sure, we believe you.
The only impulse buys I've made were...
My Steyr m95 Stutzen that is worth at least twice what I paid.
My Mosin M38, Kar98K, Schmidt Rubin K31...
The shop owner is smart leaving all those cheap mil-surp guns by the register.

Two Cold Soakers
August 16, 2007, 02:34 AM
Yes.

Curt Blunt
August 17, 2007, 11:37 PM
:evil: What's "need" have to do with it?

annielulu
August 18, 2007, 08:13 AM
And lots more. I can think of 5-10 right offhand that I would get immediately if I had the spare cash. Bought 6 already since getting the CCW a few months ago.

Stopped playing the slots. Now every time one follows me home I feel that I hit a "Royal".

Take better care of them than my car.

michiganfan
August 18, 2007, 05:18 PM
Probably the last ten I have bought I dont need

Houston Tom
August 18, 2007, 06:59 PM
If we stopped at need we would all be living in caves picking berries and waving sticks at small animals.

annielulu
October 1, 2007, 12:54 AM
Was on Gunbroker.com one night and bought a .22 Lorcin on impulse.

Not a bad looking gun but not reliable.

Never can trust more than the first round firing.

I take it to the range sometime with my other better guns. It shoots very accurate, but you never know when it will jam, stovepipe, etc.

I still keep in loaded in the closet however. Not really sure why.

Maybe in a few years or so it will be worth more than I paid for it.

PhrankKastle
October 1, 2007, 01:27 AM
Why just today I stopped at the local gunshop as I was on that side of town and there in the case was a pristine GP-100 with a 3" tube just taunting me and with the price tag of $300 I decided to show it who was boss and walked out the door with it about 25 mins later.

Zen21Tao
October 1, 2007, 05:41 AM
I have actually bought far more guns that I do not need, than ones that I do. I have found this to be a major down side of getting into firearm collecting, or in my case, "accumulating." :banghead:

Checkman
October 1, 2007, 06:30 AM
Who hasn't? Well among gun owners that is.

The Bushmaster
October 1, 2007, 11:41 AM
I'm not answering this as it might tend to incriminate me...Besides the wife might read this...Then I would really be in trouble. And it would be your fault...:D

Nautilus
October 1, 2007, 11:45 AM
Yup... first handgun I bought after turning 21. A S&W 629 "Mountain Gun" in .44 mag. I had no practical use for a .44mag revolver, many other guns would have made much more sense for a first handgun purchase, but that shiny new stainless S&W caught my eye.

Phydeaux642
October 2, 2007, 08:19 PM
No. I needed all of them because if I didn't have 'em, I would look like a whacko with the thousands of rounds of ammo laying around the house and nothing to put it through.

"Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

Gator
October 2, 2007, 08:24 PM

Hmm....The question is in English....I understand the words....but it makes no sense :confused:

Oh well, gotta go clean the .455 Webley I picked up yesterday :p

ironvic
October 2, 2007, 09:12 PM
Good buy, Dan!

You needed that "dan" gun and your daughter needed you to have it so she could have hers.

I never bought a gun I didn't need, but I have sold and traded many that I didn't need...

Now, if only I could find one with a "vic" serial number!

ironvic

Boulder
October 2, 2007, 09:22 PM
I've always NEEDED every gun I bought when I bought it. I guess my needs change over time though. I have a number that mostly live in the safe.

doc2rn
October 3, 2007, 03:20 PM
Yes but I wouldnt have it any other way.

obxned
October 3, 2007, 06:53 PM
If by 'need' do you mean did I use a pistol to save life and limb (not counting my heightened situational awareness and the aura you project in a bad situation when you have your hand on a firearm), then NO, but in the last 1/2 century I haven't ever files a claim on my homeowner's insurance either. Do I really need that expensive homeowner’s policy??

Heck, the last car crash that could be blamed on me was so long ago that I can't even remember the year. Do I really need car insurance?

Just think of the money I could have saved over these many, many years if I hadn't been corrupted by the Boy Scouts and actually believe in 'BE PREPARED!

revjen45
October 3, 2007, 07:37 PM
Didn't read all 4 pages. Please excuse if I repeat. "A handgun you don't need" is an oxymoron unless it's made out of pot metal.

mavracer
October 3, 2007, 08:04 PM
I "needed" to keep the streets safe the BG can't have guns if I buy them all.

ShooterMcGavin
October 3, 2007, 08:30 PM
Um, that's like asking "have you ever taken a breath that you really did not need?" :)

No, I did not read through the whole thread.

dav
October 3, 2007, 09:09 PM
I think the question really meant "did not need, want, or even care about".

In that case, yes, once. A co-worker was moving and wanted to sell his collection. I bought a S&W 645 .45. The safety is exactly backward from a 1911 (my preferred handgun).

So I didn't need the gun. I didn't want the gun. I don't use it because it messes with my mind to have the safety going the wrong way.

I think that one qualifies.

spocahp anar
October 3, 2007, 09:30 PM
HA! hehehehe HA! HA!

According to some I don't need ANY of the guns I own.

Need - that's funny.

denfoote
October 3, 2007, 10:08 PM
I certainly do not "need" all those Makarovs, but it is NICE to have multiple redundancy!!! ;)

MT GUNNY
October 3, 2007, 10:55 PM
I have three pistols that have no uses at this time,
One rifle has no use either, which will soon be traded for a pistol I will have a use for!!

elkhuntingfool
October 4, 2007, 12:38 AM
I don't need another 45acp - but dang, the XD45 sure is pretty and would look real good in my right hand.

TokyoShapiro
October 4, 2007, 09:06 AM
is this a trick question. its never a matter of need. "i want it and i will get it."

woad_yurt
October 4, 2007, 07:49 PM
All of them, except one, I didn't need.

DB
October 4, 2007, 09:32 PM
Ha! Ha! That IS funny!

jamz
October 4, 2007, 10:29 PM
I bought a Beretta 948 that I didn't want or need but it was just so cheap!

And it fits my hand nicely.

DrLaw
October 6, 2007, 10:37 PM
Every single one, and that goes for my rifles, too. Never really got into shotgun shooting, or I might say the same thing about them, too.

But aren't they all fun! :D

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Walkalong
October 7, 2007, 09:08 AM
Are you kidding me !

Of Course. :D

ROLL TIDE

ID_shooting
October 7, 2007, 09:46 AM
All the dang time! I know I have lost money on deals. For while the joke at the shop was what gun would I "rent" this week. I went through a time where I had lots of extra cash (only needed about 30% of my take home pay to live on) and I wanted to expirience many different guns. I bought and traded at least 50 different hand guns in one year. I have it slimmed down right now, only 8 hand guns in my safe right now, but I am sure another one will peak my interest before too long.

kolob10
October 7, 2007, 10:06 AM
Absolutely, I do it all the time. I only need one for long range hunting, and one for personal defense in summer, personal defense in winter, short range hunting, small game hunting, big game hunting, target practice short range, target practice long range, plinking through the week, plinking on the week end, plinking on vacation, and etc, etc, etc. Just like asking a woman if she needs only one pot to cook in. Yes, variety is the spice of life. Living in the U.S of America gives us agency and opportunity to choose. God bless the USA.

fastbolt
October 7, 2007, 01:49 PM
Haven't taken the time to read all the responses, so maybe somebody has already mentioned this ...

I 'need' more handguns like most women 'need' more shoes.;)

I have a gun safe full of guns I don't really 'need'.

I do, however, think that J-frames are a reasonable investment. Can't really have too many of them. I've only got 4 of them and I'm wondering what model I should pick up next. :D

Congrats.

Erik
October 7, 2007, 06:00 PM
Have I? Of course! ;)

Erik
October 7, 2007, 06:03 PM
I have just been informed by my wife that my answer had better have been ,"no."

So, err... "No."

:)

Mac45
October 8, 2007, 01:21 AM
Nope......needed all of 'em
In fact, I need some more :)

DC3-CVN-72
October 8, 2007, 10:06 PM
Yes !!!:d

KelTecian
October 9, 2007, 12:56 AM
This might be the dumbest thread on the high road forums...

Yes or No? what does it accomplish?...If you answered no...give it time and some tax refunds...

:-)

REPOMAN
October 10, 2007, 01:41 PM
I needed every one of my handguns @ the time...... Now 2 hours later after my better half found out....Maybe I didn't

twodawgs
October 10, 2007, 07:37 PM
When I picked up a .44 Redhawk, bringing my .44 Mag revolver inventory to five, I thought I might have reached that point. But when I exceeded the same number of other versions, like .22 rimfires, I realized they were all need driven.

Hey, I've got eight grandkids.

JaxJim
October 12, 2007, 07:52 PM
I didn't NEED any of them. I still WANT far more than I can afford!!!

LoneCoon
October 12, 2007, 09:55 PM
I'm going to purchase a Mateba next year, so it will be "yes" then.

Blood and Iron
October 14, 2007, 05:59 PM
Is it even possible to buy a handgun that you don't need? I don't think this possibility exists within the realm of reality!! The questions is how many of each one do you need?

Nix
October 14, 2007, 06:16 PM
a handgun you dont need!? im trying to build my collection back up to the point where others would say i have guns i dont need... but in my opinion that does not exist... sportsmans warehouse's complete pistol collection could be in my house and i would still be going "hmm what should i look at next"

Nomad101bc
October 14, 2007, 06:31 PM
Why do people need SUV's? why does Al Gore need a mansion that uses 15 times the energy of a normal home? why do we need sports cars? why do we need larger homes?

Its the American Dream get over it.

TexasRifleman
October 14, 2007, 06:34 PM
That's funny.. need... hah hah ... I can't breath..... need......cough....

Oh sorry.

No, I needed every single one of them. Especially the .410 derringer that I have never built up the nerve to fire, I REALLY needed that one :)

Werewolf
October 14, 2007, 06:40 PM
When the apocalypse comes I'll NEED every gun I've got to arm all the men of my family... :evil:

OK - now that I've got that out of my system.

YES. I have bought many a handgun that I didn't need.

If you enjoyed reading about "Have You Ever Bought A Handgun That You Really Did Not Need?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!