How do I properly tighten scope ring screws?

PDA

JRW
August 12, 2007, 07:24 PM
Is there a universally accepted method to properly tighten scope ring screws? I didn't know if they had to or should be tightened in a certain sequence, etc. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I properly tighten scope ring screws?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
August 12, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'd recommend getting them *snug*, then putting the scope on the rail. When you mount the rings onto the rail, then you can adjust them so they're perfectly in line with each other, and won't skew the scope alignment. Once the rings are tightened on the rail, then just tighten up each ring by a quarter turn, alternating between rings until nice and tight (don't have a torque specification handy).

bkjeffrey
August 12, 2007, 07:40 PM
Heres my way. With the scope set in the position to be mounted, I set the top caps on. Then starting anywhere start all of the cap screws. Now, because the front of the scope is generally more subject torsion because the larger components have more room to "flex" I screw the front ring screws down first just till they bottom out on the rings. Make sure that the tiny gaps between the top and bottom ring are the same. now do the same for the rear ring. You MUST know the ring mfgr's spec torque. And i always call the scope mfgr and ask their info on how much to torque rings with their scopes also. Then I start at either front ring screw and torque it to half the spec. then do the rear ring. Like torquing a cylinder head on a car motor, slow even tightening will produce the best results. Once they are all torques to half the spec, you can check and make sure nothing shifted. Then proceed to do the same thing again, but now to the full mfgr specs. I usually go one more time around and double check the torque again to be sure. Always use a quality torque wrench, click type only! And MAKE SURE you use in/lbs NOT ft/lbs. unless you want crush the scope. Good luck

jacobhh
August 13, 2007, 01:01 AM
Assuming your application calls for Weaver style rings
check out the Warne steel rings. A bit heavier and a few
more $'s but a great design. Installation is obvious,
no need to worry about stripping them etc. If you have to
worry about anything it will be your rail. If it's slotted, so
much the better. Also, a bit of purple locktite and no more
concerns about recoil rotation or mount loosening.

Once I bought a set I wondered why all rings weren't
designed that way. Just an opinion from an enthusiastic
convert. I don't sell them or know anyone who is connected
with the company.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I properly tighten scope ring screws?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!