Rebarreling a Mosin Nagant?

PDA

The Deer Hunter
August 12, 2007, 10:26 PM
Besides 45/70, are there any common rounds that the Mosin Nagant can be rebarreled to?

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it have to retain the rim to work in the MN?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rebarreling a Mosin Nagant?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Navy_Guns
August 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
I've started work turning my Hungarian M44 carbine into an American M454 (Casull) carbine!

Threejs
August 13, 2007, 12:04 PM
In the past they have been turned into 8mm rifles (scary), and 30-06 rifles (I wont shoot one of these.). I think I remember one of the guys on a another board talking about a 45/70, but I may be mistaken.

Ash
August 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
The 8mm conversions (such as the Blindee) weren't bad, and a 30-06 conversion can be perfectly safe. The Bannerman conversions were not safe because they were not done well and had excessively large chambers.

You don't HAVE to have a rim, but the bolt head has to be modified if you don't. Rebarrelling, while not a common practice anywhere save for Finland, where an art was made of it, would be certainly possible and probably safe.

Ash

Clipper
August 13, 2007, 12:31 PM
The Poles rebarreled some to 8mm, and the action can handle any 30-06 class easily, since the 7.62X54R is mostly a ballistic twin to it. My question is why? With the availability of good inexpensive hunting ammo nowadays, you basically would have a 30-06 at a fraction of the price, and there are still fiberglass as well as wood sporting stocks available.

Navy_Guns
August 13, 2007, 01:45 PM
I did a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 in .45 ACP - no rim but a little modification to the extractor made it work just fine.

The Deer Hunter
August 13, 2007, 08:34 PM
Sorry guys, I meant re-chambering the gun :(

I was curious about re-chambering the gun because it is my rifle. I have actually seen a M/N re-chambered for IIRC 20 GA, and the magazine was removed. I think I saw one re-chambered to 45-70 on Gunbroker.

Cosmoline
August 13, 2007, 08:40 PM
I hope it's yours! LOL Otherwise you might make someone mad.

I don't think .45-70 as a RECHAMBER is going to work at all, for the obvious reasons. You could do .30'06 as noted, but it requires more than just a reamer or you could have the same problems that caused trouble for some of the Bannermans. Plus the bore is usually about .311" on Soviet rifles so it won't be the greatest with '06.

The Deer Hunter
August 13, 2007, 08:42 PM
I hope it's yours! LOL Otherwise you might make someone mad.

Hahaha, I meant it as in "this is my rifle, there are many like it..." .

White Horseradish
August 13, 2007, 09:56 PM
A Mosin converted into a shotgun is not unknown. They used to make them in Russia before they got postwar production of shotguns going. If what you saw was in 20 gauge, it was most definitely a rebarrel. The Russian conversions (called Frolovka) are commonly in 28 and 32 gauge. I'm not sure even a .410 can be done safely from an original barrel. None of those can be done without a really good machine shop. They also made conversions in larger gauges, but they used surplus Berdan barrels for that.

As far as rechambering, no, you cannot just ream it to 30-06. The 06 is much longer than the 7.62x54, and this would make the chamber protrude past the shank into the thin portion of the barrel. This is why Bannerman conversions are unsafe.

About the only caliber you can safely and easily ream the original barrel for would be 30-40 Krag, but that strikes me as a bit pointless. You wind up with a less powerful round and ammo that is vastly less common than x54R.

If you have enough time and money you can rebarrel a Mosin into almost any caliber short of .50BMG. It's not going to be easy, though. Getting the old barrel out is a pain, for different case heads you will have to rework the bolt head and possibly the interruptor plate and magazine. You will basically wind up making a new rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rebarreling a Mosin Nagant?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!