What's the real assessment of WASRs

PDA

joab
August 13, 2007, 01:18 AM
Awhile back I made the mistake of selling my SAR now I want another AK

I have been looking at some for sell locally in the $300 range

Anybody with real life experience with them care to give a no BS assessment of their quality

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the real assessment of WASRs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dstorm1911
August 13, 2007, 01:35 AM
Rather than get a heated debate going, will just advise ya to try posting the question on

akfiles.com

nothin but AK users and Smiths specializing in AK based guns, ya will get the best info there.

BTW for an extra $100 ya could get a Yugo which by far 20 times a better rifle, or a Lancaster consulting Rommanian G kit build made from actual military grade components etc.. ya'll find reviews on both at the link above and most will give ya the same advise as WASRs are a total crap shoot some work fine others are total lemmons

edit; I should rephrase that...... instead of AK users AK FANATICS is a better description ;)

MisterPX
August 13, 2007, 03:33 AM
Quality varies. Some have crooked FSB's, some don't. Some need teh mag catch reground, some don't. Inspect before you buy, and you'll be fine.

rugerdude
August 13, 2007, 04:01 AM
The canted gas blocks and FSB's seem to be a thing of the past. My shooting buddy bought one from AIM surplus a while ago and it is a really nice rifle.

The wood could look better (a 7 dollar bottle of oil fixed it up right nicely) and the inscription looks like it's done by a 4 year-old, but the rifle functions fine and shoots as well as any other AK. The magazine will wobble in the mag well a bit, but it's really no big deal. It also came with a Tapco FCG and it has a nice trigger because of it. I really like his rifle and I personally would not hesitate to lay down 350 bucks for one (and my most expensive gun is a 250 dollar buckmark).

Look, there are a lot of people who own lots of really nice guns and think it's a manufacturer's personal insult to them if something doesn't match their lofty expectations, and they're going to badmouth the WASR and say "go aresenal" or "go yugo" but if you want a gun to shoot instead of brag about, then the WASR will do anything an AK can do if you give it a chance.

Yeah, the yugo is a nicer gun for a little less money, but that's a slippery slope isn't it? If you have enough for a yugo...save just a bit more and get an Aresenal!.....;)

collateral
August 13, 2007, 04:16 AM
I bought mine from a local surplus store. I had to inspect a few different ones side by side before choosing mine.

Inspect before you buy, and you'll be fine.

+1

The wood isnt anything pretty, but as mentioned above, its easily fixable. Ive seen WASRs that people have done work on and made look really nice, but out of the box, they arent showpieces.

My WASR had a really chunky action at first, it really didnt feel right (all of the ones I inspected did as well), but after putting some rounds through it, it really smooths out. Its capible of minute of milkjug haha, so its definitely not a target rifle.

I'll tell you what though, it has never failed to go "boom" and the rounds go where I want them to at 100 yards, I havent been able to fire it at any longer of a range than that.

Its nothing high end, it really isnt. It isnt the prettiest AK on the market and not the most accurate, but it is rock solid and reliable. From my experience I wouldnt hesitate to use it if my life depended on it (within its effective range of course). No jams, not one failure to feed, no malfunctions of any kind.

Will Learn
August 13, 2007, 04:21 AM
I ordered one from Classic arms and will be getting it this week, I let you know how wit works out. I've had my friends in the safe for over a year while hes been in the in Iraq. It has front and rear sight cant and trigger slap. I was told that the one I ordered has the G2 trigger and i figure if it has sight cant I'll just throw a adjustable peep on there. The bulgy waffle mags fit real snug in WASRs I've found.

I'm spoiled with a AK-103, but am looking for a beater AK that I can fix up myself so my expectations aren't that high. Good luck.

7mmsavage
August 13, 2007, 07:34 AM
I was just having a discussion yesterday with my brother in law who wants a decent AK but is on a tght budget. I showed him my WASR-10 and explained how I straightend the gas and sight blocks, polished the trigger parts, and now have a decent rifle. What I finally told him was, If I was to do it over, I would get a Saiga, do some internet searching, and convert it to pistol grip configuration. I was just at the gun show here in Richmond this weekend, and there were lots of Saigas there for $250. So, that's what I'd do.

MassMark
August 13, 2007, 10:25 AM
Tale of 8 cities: I looked at a batch from CAI that came into my local fun store. Six were from the same order, 2 were from a prior shipment - all 8 were completely different rifles in their build, appearance and wood. The nicest looking rifle had the canted front end, (not a thing of the past) and the magazine well had so much wobble in it that it felt like the magazine was going to come free on it's own. The ugliest of the rifles had metal burrs a runny finish and felt like it had sand in the action. Out of the 8, there was three that I would consider solid enough in looks and feel to buy, but they all sold anyway.....It seems that some of those working at CAI take pride in their work and others may well earn the "Monkey At Century Arms" moniker....

Kurt_D
August 13, 2007, 10:47 AM
I'll go ahead and add to what everybody said above. Inspect the rifles before you buy and you'll do fine. They may not be pretty but they go bang everytime you pull the trigger. The one I bought actualy fixed up pretty well. So expect some work if you want it to look good, I actually had fun cleaning mine up.

Mine shot fine, it's no tack driver but neither are the Arsenals and such. Mine was straight, sights were on from the factory. I sold mine to put the money into my ARs and I regret it.

The people who say they're all crap and don't buy one are the same type of people who who'll tell you to by a Colt AR and won't accept there's other options out there just as good and cheaper. They also gripe about the lack of dimples in the receiver, so yes, their not 100% correct like a SAR-1's.

dstorm1911
August 13, 2007, 10:54 AM
massmark, Century doesn't build the Rommy WASR10 they only grind out the mag well and add the 922R parts the WASR is made at the Sadu arsenal in Romania, on the assembly lines in a building behind the one that makes the actual military grade contract rifles... most of the workers are lil old ladies 50 years on up to about 70 or so........ been there every year for the last 10 years.......

MassMark
August 13, 2007, 12:49 PM
Neat info - thanks dstorm.

offthepaper
August 13, 2007, 02:32 PM
massmark, Century doesn't build the Rommy WASR10 they only grind out the mag well and add the 922R parts the WASR is made at the Sadu arsenal in Romania, on the assembly lines in a building behind the one that makes the actual military grade contract rifles... most of the workers are lil old ladies 50 years on up to about 70 or so........ been there every year for the last 10 years.......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, are the WASR's made on the same machinery as the military versions with just poor/no QC?

dstorm1911
August 13, 2007, 06:45 PM
no they are not, The WASRs are actually made in order to use up the parts that don't meet requirements for military contract rifle production, ie; what ya would call factory seconds,if they fail the lower quality inspection at the Commercial facility (can't really call it the WASR facility cause they also make AKs for other importers besides Century in the same building such as the I/O SG2000 etc..) then the parts go to be melted down, this has been covered in great length ya might wanna do a few searches as it involves pages and pages of info, The military production lines are very tightly secured since 2000 when they got in trouble with the UN for selling guns to folks we don't like etc... I can go in the military arsenal but no pictures allowed as the Romanian government would rather keep the actual number of production to themselves but if I can find someone who can resurrect my old hard drive I have around 600 pics of the 3 commercial assembly lines.... Half my extended family lives in Romania and up till the BATF started gettin cr@ppy bout approving form6s I had an advantage when shopping for stuff to import as many of those family members are either Romanian military or work in the arsenals etc...

if ya visit the links above they will lead to yet more links in the end ya will know as much about Romanian arms production as I do, the only thing the WASR has in common with Romanian military AKM production is the wood furniture everything else is substandard, The extent of the substandard quality level varies greatly some have gotten barrels that the chrome peels right out of em withing a few hundred shots, others have gotten front trunions so outa square they couldn't hit the inside of a barn........ from the inside while others get lucky and end up having no problems at all, its just like buyin a pair of factory seconds pants sometimes ya really gotta search to find the flaw other times its very easy when ya note one leg is longer than the other ;)

BTW, The reason I recommend a Yugo has nothing to do with ownling lots of really nice guns etc... it has everything to do with Building and collecting AK pattern rifles for almost 20 years..... the best bang for the buck right now are the Century assembled Yugo's PROVIDED ya inspect for canted sights if the sights are straight then your all set with a rifle way over engineered for $429 I nor any other builder can't even build one for that price so we don't try as we are payin up to $450 just for the virgin parts sets we start with etc... Century imported their used parts sets for $50 per....... big savings in overhead costs also while the Yugo doesn't have a chrome lined bore the Century ones and the ones I build all have Green mountain hammer forged match grade barrels and all stainless bolts and bolt carriers etc.. (no other country used stainless steel for the bolts or bolt carriers) and as there hasn't been any corrosive 7.62x39 imported in over 5 years other than the Yugo stuff a couple years ago which sells when found for a very high premium a chrome bore pretty much doesn't have any value particularly as if ya don't clean your rifle properly...... your gas system will still corrode..... its not chromed ;) However for that extra $100 bill ya are getting a much MUCH nicer reciever a 1.6 mm fully heat treated Nodak spuds reciever the choice of EVERY AK builder in the country(which by itself is $95 from Nodak) ALL of the guns parts are normally found on milled AK rifles from the heavier duty trigger gaurd to the dust cover, ya are getting as mentioned a hammer forged match grade barrel (by itself $80), stainless bolt and bolt carrier (really look good polished BTW and if ya buy used ones to upgrade a standard AKM they will cost ya $75) ) a super heavy duty RPK front trunion, Tritium night sights which flip up outa the sight posts (milled lil doors that hide em when not in use... don't know maybe $100 for custom fitted tritium night sights for most Battle rifles?) rather than the hoaky spring wire/sheet metal junk people will add, AND the ability to play with launching dummy grenades if ya buy a $30 grenade launcher (ya can't use it on a standard AK as without the wider front trunion and heavier reciever ya will shear off the front trunion rivets and warp the reciever in very short order...

heres your Grenade launcher

http://www.facsupplystore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PAAK1012

I recomend YUGOs because I have the experience of many years of dealin with AK pattern rifle to KNOW it is a far better value for the $$ than some pile of rejected would be re smealted parts ya can get for $100 less............ it doesn't take a math genius to figure out ya are gettin a few hundred bucks worth of extras ............ but thats just me

I like to get my $$ worth when I buy stuff thats why I ride a Harley, own/Drive a Peterbilt while my drivers all get Freightliners and still have the 1971 K5 Blazer I bought when I was 17 for a whopping $600, if there is another ban pushed through your WASR will still be worth...... $300 but that Yugo? They are already appreciating in value the parts sets for used dark bores were $150 last year now $285-$350, J&G just got 50 Fixed stock Yugos they are selling for $429 they were down to 25 by the second day of the add comming out...... they still got tons of WASRs though.... no rush of people to buy them ;)

H#LL A $250 Saiga is a way better deal than a WASR at least its first quality components even if ya do have to do some work to de-sporterize it, not the quality of the Yugo but far above the quality of the WASR and it to will appreciate while the WASR.... they were $289 in 2004 what are they now? ohhh up to $300....

jefnvk
August 13, 2007, 06:48 PM
Got a WASR10 last year over 4th of July. Front sight is slightly crooked, but the gun shoots straight and it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger.

Have no complaints, good gun for the $300

Will Learn
August 18, 2007, 01:34 AM
I got mine earlier this week from Classic Arms and was real impressed. G2 trigger plus no(noticeable) sight cant. The stock left something to be desired but I sanded it down and its on its fourth coat of tung oil and is really starting to look good. Another good thing noticed was that Century marked it's name in with automated engraver instead of their old sloppy method(Monkey w/ hammer & flathead screwdriver). The barrel looks spotless. I haven't shot it yet but I will next week and will report the results.

GotGlock
August 18, 2007, 01:53 AM
The new WASR 10/63 is the way to go, they are built using romy g kits, the same demilled kits you buy to build your own rifle. Maybe the old wasr's were crap, but the new ones are great as long as you can hand select one and check for the obvious problems. I have a new GP wasr 10/63 with the Tapco sidefolder, i got my choice out of 6 and i found the straightest one. Its a great shooter, ive only shot out to 50 yards offhand so far, and i was able to keep all my shots inside of a 8 inch shoot and see target. I know the rifle can do better, I need to get it on bags and zero it and ill report again.

chris in va
August 18, 2007, 02:04 AM
Crap, all this talk about AK's and I have a brand new Saiga sitting in my room that hasn't even been fired yet...so I can't comment on how well it shoots.

Just browsing the gun shows I can tell you the WASR's I looked at felt cheap compared to the Saiga. Not much help I know...

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the real assessment of WASRs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!