I'm just not sure...

PDA

Andrewsky
August 13, 2007, 02:00 AM
I have that odd feeling that every gun owner has every now and then.

I'm just not sure if I should go ahead and purchase a $200 mount and a $375 red-dot sight for my M1A.

I can easily afford it, I'm not going into debt or anything, but I have a fixed budget for guns and am just not sure if I should do it.

I suppose the best thing to do when one is not sure about buying something is to back off, but I kinda want that ultimak rail and aimpoint.

What do you do when you're in limbo about a purchase?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Andrew

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm just not sure..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mb419
August 13, 2007, 02:07 AM
Just go with your gut. Your first instinct is usually the one to follow, at least I do when it comes to a gun decision.

brentn
August 13, 2007, 02:12 AM
Theres always a point when I take one gun that I have had for a while and just want to make it better. I did it with my 10/22 and I also did it with my 1860 army.

I've always looked at the M1A as a long range rifle and not a CQB rifle, just me and I'm sure the socom models state otherwise.
Point being, I'd probably spend that kind of money on a real nice scope

Regolith
August 13, 2007, 02:19 AM
Man, I'm always in limbo whenever I go to purchase something fairly expensive. :D

Mostly because I do a lot of research before I make a purchase, and hence I try to learn all the pros and cons, which can lead to endless indecision over whether the pros of one thing outweighs the cons and if that net product is better than the NEXT best product. Yeah, it took me over a month to decide between the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500. The deal breaker was when I finally handled both guns. Twice. :cool:

Its probably going to take me months to decide what gun to get next, as well. Good thing too, because it will take that long or longer to get the money to buy it. :p

That being said, I'm far more picky when I'm operating on a severely limited budget (which I am as a college student). If I were you, I'd probably get the scope and mount and then divert a little money from another discretionary budget to make up the difference.

Prince Yamato
August 13, 2007, 02:54 AM
You want to spend $575 on an optical sight? Just use the irons like they did in Vietnam. Take the $575 you'll save and buy another gun!

Andrewsky
August 13, 2007, 10:22 AM
I'm just not a big fan of regular telescopic sights. I kind of think of my SOCOM as a high-powered door kicker's gun so I'm thinking a 1x sight would be good.

Here's the Ultimak rail I'm thinking about:

http://ultimak.com/gallery/tlr1M1ATX30Left.jpg

http://ultimak.com/M8.htm

I think I'll just ask my dad to buy me the rail for Christmas. Then once I get it I'll be able to see more easily which optic would work better for me, as I hear the eotech's line of sight is higher than the aimpoint's.

I also want flashlight mounting capability.

nbkky71
August 13, 2007, 10:45 AM
I always follow the addage "when in doubt...don't". If it was me, I'd be worried that if I paid for the optics & didn't like them, I'd have to take a loss tring to get rid of them.

Personally, I've never been a fan of picatinny rails & other gadgets mounted on an M1A. I shoot mine as a service rifle so it's always been iron-sights only.

Good luck with your decision! :)

MassMark
August 13, 2007, 11:47 AM
I had ZERO issues mounting my Tripower on the mount Springfield provided on my SOCOM-16. It is a hybrid, (weaver/picatinny), but it worked just fine. The Eotech should be GTG on what you have. Save your dough for rails, upgrades etc down the road.

Andrewsky
August 13, 2007, 12:25 PM
Mass Mark, I'm just not interested in going that route. I've heard too many bad stories about the factory mount.

MassMark
August 13, 2007, 12:33 PM
Mass Mark, I'm just not interested in going that route. I've heard too many bad stories about the factory mount.

That's cool man, I was just giving you a good story about the factory mount - which there are likely more of than bad... ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm just not sure..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!