some questions

PDA

RLsnow
August 14, 2007, 06:14 PM
at the moment i am not in a position where i can buy a gun, but i still really want one, so just trying to get some info for when the time comes.

basicly, im in love with the Lee-Enfield 303. and i want one, now im thinking that since its an old rifle it could be considered a collectors item and thus...very expensive :( is this true?

where might i get my hands on a Lee? in my immediate vicinity (small place in Norway) there isn't even a gun shop :( so i have small hopes of finding one locally, there might be a shop that sells guns and its only like an hours drive from here but still, theres no pure gun shops that i know off :(
im then left with the choice of ordering online, which has its pros and cons, any good sites that have or might have, or might get any?

ammunition, hard to come by? expensive?

i have no real experience with guns sadly, but you gotta start somewhere right?

If you enjoyed reading about "some questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beaucoup ammo
August 14, 2007, 06:26 PM
While not for sale outside the US, this first sight will give you an idea of price..the second some interesting history, which you probably know!

Good Luck!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78050117

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/smallarms/leenfld.htm

geekWithA.45
August 14, 2007, 06:28 PM
i have no real experience with guns sadly, but you gotta start somewhere right?

Welcome to THR!

It's a great place to start!

supraneurotoxin
August 14, 2007, 06:36 PM
welcome!
try aimsurplus (http://www.aimsurplus.com), or impact guns (http://www.impactguns.com).

RLsnow
August 14, 2007, 06:42 PM
thanks! quick responses, appreciate it.

and yes, this does seem like a place of great knowledge :P

The Deer Hunter
August 14, 2007, 07:02 PM
Norway the country? I always thought that was a cool place.

RLsnow
August 14, 2007, 07:08 PM
oh yeah it is, just round where i live, very small place and sadly no gun shops.

GigaBuist
August 14, 2007, 07:10 PM
basicly, im in love with the Lee-Enfield 303. and i want one, now im thinking that since its an old rifle it could be considered a collectors item and thus...very expensive is this true? I have no idea how things are in Norway, but here in the US you can pick them up for about $200 last I checked. Saw one a few years back that was $115 but it wasn't in the original configuration anymore.

Good luck!

rritter
August 14, 2007, 07:43 PM
Although there are some Lee-Enfields that are expensive collector's items, there are a lot that are just cheap military surplus. I have no idea, though, how you could acquire one in Norway.

RLsnow
August 15, 2007, 07:22 AM
if the Enfield proves difficult or impossible to get i can just wait with it untill something pops up.

but then i would probably buy a Mauser k98 was it?

which raises the same questions, price, availability and ammo

woof
August 15, 2007, 07:38 AM
I would just add that since you are totally new to guns and you live where there are no resources for you to turn to, be careful buying such an old rifle. You need to take some steps to ensure that what you get will be safe to shoot, and then you may need some help learning how to shoot and handle it safely. We don't want to see you getting hurt with your first gun!

RLsnow
August 15, 2007, 08:39 AM
true, ive only shot 22. rifles in my life

and the reason i want to get an enfield or a mauser is purely sentimental coupled with its awesome look. i might just turn out to get an entierly different gun for starters than i had first thought seeing as that which my heart desires is difficult to obtain :P

i will see in time i guess

_N4Z_
August 15, 2007, 09:08 AM
Living in Norway puts you very close to Finland.

Finnish Mosin M39's are excellent shooters and your location may allow for easy access to the cream of the crop.

Just a thought. I have 2. :)

RLsnow
August 15, 2007, 09:30 AM
sorry mate, the Nagant just turns me off for some reason.

in other news, there seems to be no Pure gun stores in norway, and no online gun stores either! this is just maddening beyond belief!!

If you enjoyed reading about "some questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!