saiga at gunsmith,good deal ?

PDA

MIL-DOT
August 14, 2007, 08:37 PM
i recently got a saiga x39 with the intention of doing the hi-cap/pistol grip conversion, but the more i trolled the interweb and read the directions, i surmised that i was even less tempermentally suited to this project than i am to golf ( which clearly has the potential to drive me to insanity or suicide !)
so i consulted a local gunsmith, merely to install the new trigger in the forward position.i got one gunsmith to,more or less,commit to doing it in an hour,at $35 an hour.
but then, i call another smith i've used before and run this project by him,he tells me to bring it in for a look-see. he finaly says,he'll do it for the $35 the other guy commited to ( which is what i'd hoped for). then he asks if i wanted it blued or parkerized, i asked for a price on the parkerizing, he said $80. he ended up rounding down the whioe project to $110. on impulse, i said "what the hell,let's do it". but out of curiosity, i'm wondering what kind of deal i did,or didn't get.:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "saiga at gunsmith,good deal ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
August 14, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'd say , that was a nice deal, nothing wrong with it, heck, if I was feeling non committal, I'd do it as well. I mean lets be honest, he will do the conversion job , in about 10 or 15 mins. So he is really making his money there. parkerizing veries, So if you are happy with the results, and he makes a few bucks, then everyone is happy.

Navy87Guy
August 14, 2007, 09:16 PM
Uh...what about the rest of the conversion? Are you installing the pistol grip and stock? Granted, moving the fire control group is the most time consuming part -- but are you going to do the rest yourself? Does his work include reinstalling the trigger guard, too?

Personally, I bought some automotive engine paint that was about a 95% match to the original Saiga finish. I'm hardly a perfectionist when it comes to my firearms -- they're tools (except for ny Beretta Billennium!)

I probably would have passed on the Parkerizing myself - but otherwise it sounds like you did alright. Although you are missing out on the chance to really get to know your Saiga.

By the way, you might want to check on his reinstallation of the Bolt Hold Open device...that's not standard and it's kind of a PITA.

Jim

MIL-DOT
August 14, 2007, 11:42 PM
thanks for the responses,guys. rangerruck, when i dropped by today, he was working on it and said it was a little more of a PITA than we were led to believe. he wasn't bitching or anything, but it definately was taking him more than 15 minutes.
and navy87, yeah, i'll do the rest. not too much really, screw on the choate stock/grip that should be here by the weekend, install the bullet guide and file the mag catch a little. when i was there today, he had already done the trigger guard. he said he should be done by the weekend, instead of the 10 days he originally estimated. i'm pretty stoked !

Lashlarue
August 15, 2007, 12:21 PM
You got a heck of a good deal. There's a reason modded Saigas go for $200+ more than the unmodded ones.I studied the instructions and it's far from a piece of cake!

nalioth
August 15, 2007, 01:30 PM
There's a reason modded Saigas go for $200+ more than the unmodded ones.I studied the instructions and it's far from a piece of cake! I find converting Saigas is a lot easier than building AKs from kits.

MD_Willington
August 15, 2007, 02:00 PM
...LOL...

It's not that hard.. and I drive an Dell Optiplex workstation all day...

I was in a hurry to get mine done, otherwise I would have picked up a milspec trigger guard and a guide for mine...

rde
August 15, 2007, 09:04 PM
I must be the only one that likes mine the way it is. Bought one with the intent to convert it...determined there is no way I have the ability after really studying the process (I am not mechanically hands on inclined by anyone's stretch of the imagination). Decided to shoot it as is ("neutered"). Had great fun. Found that I actually like the 10 round mags because they do not protrude so far below the rifle sometimes getting in the way (like they can with my Mak-90)...and they are easier to manage/handle/change. Might put a MOJO peep sight on it someday. But for some...I guess....the conversion process isn't absolutely mandatory. :)

MIL-DOT
August 15, 2007, 09:34 PM
hey RDE, i also bought with the intent to convert, then,like you, thought "this is pretty cool,as is". but a semi-auto without extra mags,defeats its own purpose, and mags for this unit are a little steep. then i momentarily considered a quasi-legal conversion,(wink,wink), with the chances of getting busted not at all likely,but then thought i didn't need the stress, my skirting the law days are long gone (thankfully) and decided to commit to a right proper conversion. i went by today and he had it hanging on hooks, freshly parkerized and oiled up, said he'd probably be done tomorrow. i thought my stock and pistol grip nut would be here days before he was done, now it's likely the other way around.
anyway, i'm looking forward to the finished product.

Navy87Guy
August 15, 2007, 10:41 PM
You got a heck of a good deal. There's a reason modded Saigas go for $200+ more than the unmodded ones.I studied the instructions and it's far from a piece of cake!

With a Dremel tool, a variable speed drill, a screw driver and a rubber mallet it took me about 4 hours from start to finish. It really is pretty simple.I spent more time planning it than I did doing it....and I can't even change the oil in my car.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "saiga at gunsmith,good deal ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!